Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lamb of Gun posted:

--=[[ P3P5i T00lZ L04d3d ]]=-

Death to Micro$oft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoilaIntruder
Aug 13, 2007
Voila Intruder, and he's brandishing two sticks.

quote:

"This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike."

Early 90s me felt like I was involved in some amazing secretive poo poo, what with all the poorly written text files with educational disclaimers, wardialers and text-color faders with ridiculously serious names for what they actually did, calling myself a programmer because I figured out Basic and later Visual Basic...

I miss the almost palpable sense of the unlimited possibilities of new technology; that in 10-15 years time the world would be fully connected, all war would end, and a digital utopia would form. The feeling that computers were almost magic and, by virtue of being the early-adopting optimistic slackers we were, would grant us the power to become electronic wizards in this new society. :(

Lauren
Apr 13, 2002
The fucking whipshit of all fucking shitter-bongers

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Holy Cow posted:

If we're talking about 90s supernatural shows, then don't forget the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-xnvdtuRRo

90s chicks will always be hot to me.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Lauren posted:

What show was that? I can remember the style but not the name.

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

What show was that? I can remember the style but not the name.

Weinerville.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I remember always being let down by Weinerville. There were all these cool puppets and characters that only saw about three minutes of air time in each episode. The rest of the episode had those dumb games or whatever else they did.

Did anyone else spend as much time with Geo Safari as I did?

I think whenever my mom would disapprove of my dancing in front of the TV when playing video games, I would switch over to this and she would be satisfied.

edit: Below: Exactly! At least the New Year's Eve special was pretty good, if I remember correctly.

ServoMST3K has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Mar 27, 2012

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

ServoMST3K posted:

I remember always being let down by Weinerville. There were all these cool puppets and characters that only saw about three minutes of air time in each episode. The rest of the episode had those dumb games or whatever else they did.
The promos also really hyped up the fact that they played cartoons, but didn't mention that it was lovely early 60's limited animation like Batfink and Mr. Magoo.

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
I don't think this has been mentioned. On my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie VHS, there was a commercial for pizza hut. I watched that movie so many times, this song has been seared into my brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-W2wubfL9k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

E: This thread has been drowning me in nostalgia. I just rewatched this pizza hut commercial and chuckled to myself at "1990 VHS" and thought "wow, things sure do change in 10 years..... wait." Twenty two god damned years ago.

MisterFusion has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Mar 27, 2012

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

TunaSpleen posted:

I have that blue one in a box in my basement next to a dozen others. I'm saving them for a hypothetical future generation that inherited genes that render them intelligent enough not to lose a Polly up one's nostril.

Look at this poo poo. Look at it! This is one fancypants Polly Pocket. That panel under the blue staircase unscrews to hold AAA batteries to light the place up. Of course, you'll leave it on and the batteries will die and Dad won't replace them because AAA batteries are the red-headed stepchild of the toy world and you never have a pile of those laying around the house so you just have to get used to playing with Polly in darkness. See those corners of the star with tables on them? They reveal hidden compartments underneath! (One of mine is stained yellow because I put a robin's egg in there and the yolk leaked out. Shut up, I was 6.)

But if that previous fairyland thing was too bourgeoisie for you, here's the friggin' Polly Mansion. It even came with a special plastic playmat so you could collect a whole set and put them on lots in a neon plastic neighborhood like an urban planner tripping on shrooms. See that shrubbery to the left of the garage? Press it and it ejects Polly's goddamn Rolls Royce. See the brown cobblestone on the far right? That's her stable. It comes with a horse and a live-in groomer. She's got it made. This pic doesn't even reveal all the rooms because this mansion has so many hinges on it. I did so many chores to earn this badass mother of Pollies when I was in first grade.
I owned the pop-up clubhouse. Got it for Christmas one year. That thing was the poo poo, but not nearly as cool as the mermaid storybook Polly Pocket set.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Obligatory Toast posted:

I owned the pop-up clubhouse. Got it for Christmas one year. That thing was the poo poo, but not nearly as cool as the mermaid storybook Polly Pocket set.

Oh man, were those the tiny ones that had "jewels" on the top of them? I owned the poo poo out of those! And the ones that came with fuzzy animals!

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

I never saw the program (though I'm familiar with the magazine of the same name, which also proudly featured RoboPatrick), but this reminded me of a computer games show that ran on I think The Children's Channel, and now I'm trying to remember what it was called. It was hosted by this youngish woman, butchy kind of short haircut (spiky, if memory serves), bleached hair, and there'd be this "head-to-head" part in each episode where two kids would square off against each other. Does this ring any bells?
Yeah that was Bad Influence with hosts Violet Berlin and Andy Crane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib2A0s0MGNo

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Krustic posted:

Shawn Kemp dunking on Leo Decaprio was cool.

I need to see this. I'd also like more information on the aforementioned "Legends of the Hidden Temple" comic. Always felt like those kids were already worn out by the time they had to cross the river thing in the beginning.

Looper posted:

Anyway, remember these little motherfuckers?

So cute, so collectible! I had to have them all. :smith:

I became disillusioned with eBaying when I put a bunch of Beanie Baby sets up (like five Beanies for five dollars), then marked them down to three dollars, then one, then a penny. And *still* nobody would bet on them.

On the other hand, this is adorable and hilarious.

Pick posted:

How about this poo poo?!

Undulated tinamou! :argh:

And the "go in the jungle and photograph animals and stuff" sidequest was the only remotely fun part! God drat this drat game so much.

"RAWR! The Chief is pleased with your work, but he would like you to find some [whatever]."

E: Just read the summaries of the planned "Gargoyles" spin-offs. I now want to live in the alternate universe where Disney was and is cool enough to make them.

Rahonavis has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Mar 27, 2012

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Here's a show:

Came on Saturday mornings, after Saved by the Bell. It played in the background of my saturday morning life for years and all I know is the title and the blond girl was hot. I don't know a loving thing else about it. I think of it as a Saved by the Bell ripoff. Am I right? Is it? I don't even loving care.

Quentine
May 1, 2006
Of course. I'm deep. Just don't tell nobody.
California Dreams! I have excessively fond memories of that show, possibly because the later seasons had an Asian female character and it was nice to see someone who looked vaguely like me on TV. Of course she ended up going out with the black guy, because they were the only two minorities on the show.

To answer your question, it was sort of a Saved by the Bell ripoff, except they were in a band with the lamest songs possible. There was a lot of synthesizer/keyboard in those songs as I recall.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
How about City Guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIVgUBVMh0

It came on saturday mornings on NBC, and even though it was awful I remember watching it a lot.

C-I-T-Y YOU CAN SEE WHY

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Slavik posted:

Yeah that was Bad Influence with hosts Violet Berlin and Andy Crane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib2A0s0MGNo
I'm afraid you were already beaten to the punch, and it wasn't quite correct, but thanks anyway!

Quentine posted:

To answer your question, it was sort of a Saved by the Bell ripoff, except they were in a band with the lamest songs possible. There was a lot of synthesizer/keyboard in those songs as I recall.
I very vaguely remember that show, but your description immediately makes me think of what I'm guessing was Australia's equivalent of California Dreams: bloody Pugwall.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

http://www.candystand.com/

When it used to have good games endorsed by life savers and poo poo.

YES they still have this
http://www.candystand.com/play/mini-golf-classic

Haha shockwave...

Ball Tazeman has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Mar 28, 2012

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.

My Little Puni posted:

http://www.candystand.com/

When it used to have good games endorsed by life savers and poo poo.

YES they still have this
http://www.candystand.com/play/mini-golf-classic

Haha shockwave...

My god, that website ate up so much of my time when I was a kid. That and http://www.javaonthebrain.com/brain.html Warp 1.5 baby! :dance:

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

My Little Puni posted:

I loved B*witched. I have both of their CDs.

Also this.

Ugh. I have to go scrounge up this cd and listen to it now.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
Let me tell you about things that were My poo poo in the 90s:

Gross thing! Holy poo poo, the 90s loved the gnarly and disgusting. Never was there a better era for putting gross things in girls' hair.

Motherfucking Pokemon! Oh the endless strategy-building with similarly obsessed pre-teens. :allears: My love affair with the games died down quite a lot when I got to watch a 19 year old guy flip his poo poo at a tournament. :stare: There but for the grace of God.

Goosebumps and other assorted spooky books. Trash in hindsight, but drat if I didn't gobble them up.

I swear there was a boy-marketed version of these face-smashing things, but I can't for the life of me recall the name. Mine was red and had a gnarly dragon as the base, and essentially functioned as an All You Can Bludgeon pass to the ER.

Every time I visit my parents, a small part of me hopes to find this thing among the piles of junk. :unsmith: I would ironically use it for years and years.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Dr. Brain's Island

Treasure Mountain

Loved these games

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sir Prancelot posted:

Every time I visit my parents, a small part of me hopes to find this thing among the piles of junk. :unsmith: I would ironically use it for years and years.

I still have mine in a box somewhere. Nothing better than waking up to the Nickelodeon jingle and slamming that giant red button to snooze.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Here's a show:

Came on Saturday mornings, after Saved by the Bell. It played in the background of my saturday morning life for years and all I know is the title and the blond girl was hot. I don't know a loving thing else about it. I think of it as a Saved by the Bell ripoff. Am I right? Is it? I don't even loving care.

I've tended to avoid watching these shows (I am proud to say I have never watched an episode of Saved By the Bell), but if I do recall correctly, the theme song actually, unironically had the line 'surfer dudes with attitiudes' in it somewhere :cripes:

:siren:WARNING! 'BUT MY CHILDHOOD' ALERT! WARNING!:siren: Notorious munitions-expert-cum-"film"-director Michael Bay is looking to scribble all over Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with his... um... directorial crayons (...?) soon, with a whole new twist on the Turtles' origin story. Frankly, I hope he does Thundercats next, because in all honesty, I didn't care much for that one.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
You all post such happy, fond memories.
Do not forget about .....the adversary.

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.

This was such a fun board game. Watching your dude catch hold of the side of the bridge and withstand the whole ordeal without falling was awesome. (here's the old tv ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbyR5zcrHU)

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

I cannot believe I didn't see these posted.

Or I just missed them

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Motherfucking Micro Machines! Yes!

Anyone remember these?:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DoriDori240 has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Mar 28, 2012

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010
Rocky loves Emily
Rocky Loves Emily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eb36hHD2nk

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I really hope this doesn't derail the thread but I think the enormous hype and eventual letdown of Phantom Menace was a big part of the '90s too.

I still have my "Power of the Force" Obi Wan and Emperor Palpatine figurines that came with cards flipping the characters between their (then new) and original looks. :3

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Dr. Brain's Island

Oh man, the Dr. Brain games were the best. I had the Castle of Dr. Brain and later got the Lost Mind of Dr. Brain. I still remember most of the puzzles from the Castle of Dr. Brain even 20 years later. That robot programming puzzle was the poo poo.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Holy Cow posted:

If we're talking about 90s supernatural shows, then don't forget the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-xnvdtuRRo

I watched the hell out of this as a kid, 'cause my older sister was a fan. :3: Around the fifth season I stopped watching 'cause I guess I didn't know when it was on? I finally got around to finishing that this year. Kinda want to watch it over again.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

MeccaPrime posted:

Oh man, the Dr. Brain games were the best. I had the Castle of Dr. Brain and later got the Lost Mind of Dr. Brain. I still remember most of the puzzles from the Castle of Dr. Brain even 20 years later. That robot programming puzzle was the poo poo.
Hell yea. Loved Dr. Brain. I played Lost Mind and Time Warp. Some of my favorite mini games were the train logic one, the cave man rock game and the space traffic puzzle. I could never figure out how the monkey linguistic puzzle, and passed it mainly by clicking random tiles.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Sir Prancelot posted:

I swear there was a boy-marketed version of these face-smashing things, but I can't for the life of me recall the name. Mine was red and had a gnarly dragon as the base, and essentially functioned as an All You Can Bludgeon pass to the ER.

Ah SkyDancers. It's all fun and games until one of them hits you in the nose.

Also, I think the male version of SkyDancers were called DragonFlies. I swear I remember seeing an ad for them on TV.

--------------

Also I had two Star Castles, one that was small and pink and had jewels and was Sleeping Beauty themed and the other one was large and fairytale-wedding/Swan Lake themed and was suppose to be a wedding cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfEuYkDF2cA

Farnk
Apr 7, 2003

Lamb of Gun posted:

--=[[ P3P5i T00lZ L04d3d ]]=-

If we're gonna talk progs you can't leave out...

Though I'm not a fan of this skin.

Also has this glorious thing been left out?

I used to hate it but picked it up a few months ago and blew threw it in like 2 months.

Farnk has a new favorite as of 07:50 on Mar 28, 2012

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
WINAMP (winamp), it really whips the llama's rear end! So many terrible skins.

We're Back!, and the associated terrible video game

These guys, and the terrible I Want You song that still gets stuck in my head sometimes

I think I stopped buying these around number 6 or 7.

Man, check out the track listing for these things. Good God.

Oh man and who could forget Big Shiny Tunes!

2 was the best, hands down, and I will fight anyone that says different.

Antioch has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Mar 28, 2012

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Lauren posted:

Great now you're making me watch Mathnet episodes on YouTube. That did more to get me hooked into detective novels than actual maths as a kid.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
My boyfriend said to me on Facebook chat that he just remembered the name of the game Super Solvers: Gizmos and Gadgets as he use to play that game as a kid and coincidentally enough I did as well. It was awesomeballs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wei0C21LBNM&feature=related

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Cromulent posted:

This is kind of an obscure one, but it's something I thought I had dreamed for the longest time: Marc Summers (of Double Dare fame) takes a bunch of kids to a haunted house of sorts, and encounter a bunch of creepy stuff and Lance Burton - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NvZ-MoUDws Anyone else remember this one?
I do because Jonathan Brandis was in it and he was my biggest celebrity crush of the 90s when I was a kid going into my pre-teens; it's too bad he killed himself. That being said, Seaquest DSV was a big part of the 90s for me, and helped get me interested in Sci-Fi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E17xDvK8y8

I'm sure there are many female goons who remember spending their allowance on Bop and Tiger Beat magazines:

I loved, loved the girlie games that were out in the 90s, and have fond memories of playing Dreamphone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVary7lyBq0 and mall madness with my best friend, even if the latter seemed to take more time to set up than actually play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuDFZQpu4Qk Then there were the interactive games like Party Mania that required you to watch different parts of a video to progress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLWofEA_tlo & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lP6T87XCyo Just look at those pinks, purples, yellows, and hear those synthesizers! That really encapsulates the 90s for me.

Opera Bitch has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Mar 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Antioch posted:

These guys, and the terrible I Want You song that still gets stuck in my head sometimes
I must have heard that song a million times and I still have no idea what the lyrics are saying without looking them up. Something something cherry cola. I was going to post the music video, but I found something even... uh, better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CKwGeKtcNM

Savage Garden and loving Sash (remember Sash? They did that ECUADOR song) in one song. Doesn't get much more 90s than that.

Savage Garden also recorded what might be the wimpiest of all the wimpy 90s pop ballads.

• Locked thread