Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Sombrerotron posted:

As I said, the ME1 creator is virtually identical to the ones in ME2 and ME3, so I don't see what would make it any more difficulty to create a decent-looking custom face. The only real issue is that the assets and lighting have changed for the better, so that a custom face will (almost) never look quite as good in ME1 as it does in ME3.

I wasn't talking about it being any more difficult? It's just a pain in the rear end. It's why I use the default Manshep. That and I think he looks pretty swell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Aristobulus posted:

Also Magimix, gameplay questions. Have you ever made use of Slam or Dark Channel?

:stare: I see you have joined the elite ranks of the Red Titled.

Slam I don't really do much with; I don't really rate the damage it does, and other talents strike me as being better detonation sources - though Slam is also a detonator, so there may be scope there. As for Dark Channel... I don't know whether it is *optimal*, but I like using it. Looks cool, has DoT, can be detonated, and apparently if you kill the target while the effect still has time to run, it can proc another target.

Banjodark has me beat to hell and back on ME3's mechanics, so you should see what they think.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Finally finished the game a night ago and like everyone else I have serious reservations about the ending.

On the other hand, I didn't slog through as a soldier, I played an Engineer for the first time and loved it. My imported shep started me off with tons of points for skills and once I had my flamethrower turret and crazy zappy drones moving around annoying everything on the battlefield I had a blast. Incinerate? Oh hell yes! Sabotage? Ha hah, sucks to be someone else's turret!

Then I got to pew pew pew all day long with the Raptor and increasingly ridiculous handguns. I know the engineer should be tucked up behind cover using abilities but hell with that, I'm a crazed space marine and as well know - every marine is a rifleman.

I'm curious about a vanguard because I want to smash Kai Leng in the face over and over again and any class that will give me that as an option has a lot of interest to me.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 27, 2012

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

magimix posted:

As for Dark Channel... I don't know whether it is *optimal*, but I like using it. Looks cool, has DoT, can be detonated, and apparently if you kill the target while the effect still has time to run, it can proc another target.

This is awesome as hell when you're a vanguard, by the way. Chain biotic explosions without needing to stop in between to cast combo starters.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

404notfound posted:

This is awesome as hell when you're a vanguard, by the way. Chain biotic explosions without needing to stop in between to cast combo starters.

This is the sort of thing I'm most looking forward to exploring. With the combo system being what it is, the scope for cross-class synergy is much greater than its ever been before.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

dkj posted:

Are there any other places to get ME1 saves than masseffectsaves.com?

If there's nothing like you like there, just use gibbed's to fix whatever you don't like on one that's close and use that.

1) get save that's fairly close to what you want
2) import to ME2
3) save game when Shep wakes up at cerberus
4) open save in gibbeds, change plot flags you don't like
5) flag save as "Lived to fight again" in the last tab
6) import ME2 save

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Annakie posted:

If there's nothing like you like there, just use gibbed's to fix whatever you don't like on one that's close and use that.

1) get save that's fairly close to what you want
2) import to ME2
3) save game when Shep wakes up at cerberus
4) open save in gibbeds, change plot flags you don't like
5) flag save as "Lived to fight again" in the last tab
6) import ME2 save

Awesome, I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I wasn't talking about it being any more difficult? It's just a pain in the rear end. It's why I use the default Manshep. That and I think he looks pretty swell.
Well, you said that the "ME1 creator was really bad in that respect". Do you find it odd that I took that to mean "the face creator was particularly prone to producing faces that looked terrible in-game in ME1, as opposed to ME2 and ME3"?

For what it's worth, every male Shepard I make uses the default face as well; assets you get in ME1 and ME2 for custom faces just don't seem high-quality enough to make something that looks as good or even better. It's a different matter for female Shepards, of course.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

404notfound posted:

Seconding this. Just note that it isn't a runaway chain, you still need to charge/nova each new channeled target. It seems that there is also a limited number of hops that DC can make. However, by that time they're either all dead already or you can just recast it.

So for a Vanguard, I really liked the DC synergy. For other classes, I think it's uses would be limited, however.

Oh, as for Slam, single target damage is pretty decent, especially as a detonation trigger. However, the resulting explosion happens at the top of Slams lift, so the biotic explosion is way up in the air and will rarely hit another target.

Capt Happhypants
Mar 16, 2009
Ok, reading some of the recent posts made me realize that I play my own sort of "hardcore" mode... I'm sure others will refer to it as "retard mode" because I never gave my squad mates upgraded weapons or armor...

But then I did play as Vanguard so I guess you don't really need a squad anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Does slam have a projectile this time, or is it instant effect?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I think it's instant but I only ever used it point-blank so I'm not sure.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sombrerotron posted:

ME1's custom face creator is virtually identical to ME2's (and therefore to ME3's). You won't be able to make your character look exactly the same, if only because the hair types are a little different and the lighting engine was changed quite a lot for ME2, but if you copy the slider settings - ME1 doesn't create or accept face codes, unfortunately - the end result should be as close as possible. If you still have your ME2/ME3 face code, this may prove helpful.
This won't run for me. I tried it on two computers and various compatabilities. If I give my code, could someone tell me what the program spits out? edit: Found the 64 bit one.

Also, how do I install Bring Down the Sky? The installer can't find it. I can't even register ME1 on the website, it looks like. There isn't an option for it.
edit: They don't have a link for it. I just changed the game ID until it went to Mass Effect. Aaand trying to put a key in there breaks it.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 27, 2012

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Elysiume posted:

This won't run for me. I tried it on two computers and various compatabilities. If I give my code, could someone tell me what the program spits out?
Have you installed Java? If not, try that first.

quote:

Also, how do I install Bring Down the Sky? The installer can't find it. I can't even register ME1 on the website, it looks like. There isn't an option for it.
Get the BDtS installer here. You can't get a key from BioWare's website anymore, unfortunately, but since the DLC's free anyway and I don't believe it verifies codes online, you can probably use this one: 3FLL-43UU-JTN8-W8EX-25J3. If that doesn't work, you'll have to contact EA support (they also provided me with said key).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I thought it was 32 bit, and it turns out it was. There was a 64 bit version in the files section.

I have BDtS, but when I run it I get
code:
---------------------------
Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky Setup
Mass Effect is not found.

Please reinstall the game from the original source and try again.
OK   

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Elysiume posted:

code:

OK   
Oh I see! Er, apart from running it as an administrator, or uninstalling and reinstalling ME, I'm afraid I've no suggestions on getting that sorted out.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
So my romances in the past two games were Ashely and Tali. Will there be some kind of confrontation between the two if I don't 'lock in' to the relationship with either or will the other just go 'ok whatever' and nothing further will happen? Basically, should I wait as long as I can before deciding on who to hook up with or just do it right away?

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Lord of Laughton posted:

So my romances in the past two games were Ashely and Tali. Will there be some kind of confrontation between the two if I don't 'lock in' to the relationship with either or will the other just go 'ok whatever' and nothing further will happen? Basically, should I wait as long as I can before deciding on who to hook up with or just do it right away?

if you really want to know how it will play out:

(spoilers from throughout the game below)
When ashley is in the hospital she will comment on the affair. If you refuse to apologise for it, you're going to lose respect from her and it will be harder to have a relationship with her be rekindled.

you will need to be pretty paragon with ashley at mars, buy her the tennyson poetry book at the hospital and visit her before the council, after palaven, after sur'kesh and finally before you finish up tuchanka.

the 'lock in' moments happen after the citadel is attacked by cerberus. For tali, the moment she boards your ship, you need to take her up to your cabin and re-commit before the geth dreadnaught mission. If you don't do this, you've pretty much ended the relationship.

For ashley, you can commit to her the moment she joins the normandy by going down and visiting her in the citadel commons.

If you commit to one or the other then bring them on missions to the geth dreadnaught, they'll have some unique dialogue. Ashley is pretty cool about things though and gets over it.

anything you do prior to that won't really matter too much, unless you're a massive dick to ashley in which case she might not even want to pursue a relationship with you after the citadel attack OR you might shoot and kill her to get her to stand down.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

So I just did the mission w/Samara in it, and she's doing the whole "if not for the code, I'm a kill you" thing ala ME2. Thing is I used gibbed's editor to paragon-ize my ME2 Shep so I could almost romance her, then reverted back to renegade and beat the game for import. When exactly does she determine that your a bad guy in ME3?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Jesus Christ, gently caress Geth Hunters and Rocket Troopers up the rear end in SP and MP. Is there any real way to counteract them as a soldier besides "fill with lead from a safe distance"? I lose more buddies in MP to them than even Reaper Brutes.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Completed it last night. It was meh. Don't know what the fuss was about. Total overreaction in the media. It wan't a terrible ending, it was just a boring ending.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Elysiume posted:

I thought it was 32 bit, and it turns out it was. There was a 64 bit version in the files section.

code:

OK   

I had the same problem, had to add some registry keys to get it to realize I had ME installed.

Make sure you have this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BioWare\Mass Effect

Then add some new String values inside, for example:
Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mass effect
language = en
Flavour = steam

If you don't have the Steam version, I'm not sure what you put for Flavour.

Also, if you're on Windows 7, you might have to manually put in the registration code into the registry, because that part fails.

Insert key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Bring Down the Sky\ergc

Then make the default value equal to the key: 3FLL43UUJTN8W8EX25J3

If the install fails, this key will be erased, so you might have to do it more than once.

When you get to the point where it complains about something crashing, just close that part and ignore, it should make it past with this registry stuff.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Holy Cheese posted:

Completed it last night. It was meh. Don't know what the fuss was about. Total overreaction in the fanbase. It wan't a terrible ending, it was just a boring ending.

Fixed.

Honestly, I thought it was pretty lame and you really don't end an ending that causes more "speculation" if you promised to finish of the series, but yeah, I agree.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
N7 Cerberus Base mission (the one you get after Mars):

Can you only grab 2 artifacts? After I grabbed the second one, Cortez had to bug out and I had to hold the line until he came back, is it just waves of infinite Cerberus grunts until you fight your way back to the shuttle or is there a way to grab all of the reaper things?

I was kind of disappointed that upgrading the M-8 AR didn't add much damage, but I don't want to use the M-15 because its accuracy sucks. And the Prothean Particle AR is way too loving heavy jesus.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

WarLocke posted:

N7 Cerberus Base mission (the one you get after Mars):

Can you only grab 2 artifacts? After I grabbed the second one, Cortez had to bug out and I had to hold the line until he came back, is it just waves of infinite Cerberus grunts until you fight your way back to the shuttle or is there a way to grab all of the reaper things?

I was kind of disappointed that upgrading the M-8 AR didn't add much damage, but I don't want to use the M-15 because its accuracy sucks. And the Prothean Particle AR is way too loving heavy jesus.

it's scripted and I'm pretty sure it's only 2 artefacts that you pick up, then soon as the shuttle activates you can run up and activate it to flee at any time. I am pretty sure it's a limited spawn of enemies though, I think I cleared it out over a 5-10 minute period my first time through as I didn't realise I could just run and jump into the shuttle at any time

upgrading guns tends to decrease their weight more than anything else. the damage improvements really do stack up when you reach rank 10 though, but you should be supplementing that with +Damage mods as well.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
What's the money situation like in this one? Can I waste some respeccing and still have enough to buy all the various junk you find in stores? Because if so I might try respeccing into an all-damage build.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WarLocke posted:

What's the money situation like in this one? Can I waste some respeccing and still have enough to buy all the various junk you find in stores? Because if so I might try respeccing into an all-damage build.

It felt like there was around 1M credits in the game I think (Roughly. ish). . Enough to buy a lot of things, assuming you don't want all of the Spectre items.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Why the heck were the Vindicator and Mattock nerfed this time around? Even the M8 had more viable firepower against random Reaper rushes, unlike the Vindicator.

Granted, I was playing a soldier.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
Only yesterday I learned about tech detonations, why didn't I know about them earlier? :stare:

I knew you could detonate incediary, cryo and biotic powers, but wasn't aware that you could do the same with overload. The cryo and incendiary stuff feels gimmicky and biotic detonations are old news, but tech detonations are really useful and completely trivialized a couple of fights.

In other news, I also found my hamster :3:

JackMackerel posted:

Why the heck were the Vindicator and Mattock nerfed this time around? Even the M8 had more viable firepower against random Reaper rushes, unlike the Vindicator.

Granted, I was playing a soldier.

The Mattock was (intentionally) incredibly overpowered in ME2. The whole firepower pack was basically just a collection of really powerful weapons intended for people who had already finished the game so they could gently caress around with awesome gear, balance be damned. Including it as-is in ME3 would make almost all other ARs superfluous.

The vindicator did seem really sucky in ME3 compared to the ME2 variant though. There are some other weird changes (the viper sniper rifle is really fast firing in ME2, in ME3 it's quite slow, the ME3 raptor feels more like the ME2 viper).

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah, and the N7 Eagle was basically the new Phalanx. Granted, Collector's Edition, gotta keep up fanboys' expectations of ordering early.

I'm still confused as to why they made the iconic assault rifle not on the Collector's Edition. Either way, the rest of the N7 Collector's Edition weapons are pretty great, even if the shotgun is rear end-heavy and you can barely hit anything with the Hurricane.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Playing ME1 is blowing my mind. Tons of skills? Massive amounts of weapons? Weapon mods? Ammo mods? The sniper crosshair has massive play? :psyduck:

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Playing ME1 is blowing my mind. Tons of skills? Massive amounts of weapons? Weapon mods? Ammo mods? The sniper crosshair has massive play? :psyduck:

Massive amounts of identical or nearly identical weapons.

Is it at all possible to interrupt an Atlas' or banshee's insta-kill grab attacks in single player? The only time I die is when I'm unable to get out of a banshee's range in time.

I managed to prevent one of my squad mates from dying by setting of a biotic detonation while a banshee was holding her, but I've never managed to save myself.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I actually like ME2's way a lot more. Far fewer weapons, but the differences are more than statistics.

Took me a while to stop randomly throwing grenades. All of my instincts say hit R after a firefight.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Elysiume posted:

I actually like ME2's way a lot more. Far fewer weapons, but the differences are more than statistics.

Took me a while to stop randomly throwing grenades. All of my instincts say hit R after a firefight.

Even back when I first started Mass Effect, I kept doing this. It took a playthrough and a half to break that habit.

... then ME2 came out.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

JackMackerel posted:

and you can barely hit anything with the Hurricane.

The key to the Hurricane is not to 'aim' with it, but just fire it from the hip instead. You'll still need to compensate for the recoil somewhat and fire in bursts, but with a mod that increased the clip size it becomes a viable backup gun for close quarters, especially if you combine it with the highest level weight mod that basically lets you bring it along for 'free', that is, with a -0% cooldown penalty attached.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Elysiume posted:

ME3 is also good in this regard. Sure, there are some weapons that could've been scrapped and some DLC weapons make the "normal" weapons redundant, but overall there's quite a bit of variety.

One complaint I do have is that certain weapons are only made available really late in the game (e.g. the locust and saber), so I don't get to mess around with them as much as I'd like. I'll probably just add them with the editor in future playthroughs though.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

dwazegek posted:

One complaint I do have is that certain weapons are only made available really late in the game (e.g. the locust and saber), so I don't get to mess around with them as much as I'd like. I'll probably just add them with the editor in future playthroughs though.
Arguably, that's what NG+ is for this time round.

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Will I be able to use my ME2 save from the steam version with ME3 from Origin?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jiriam posted:

Will I be able to use my ME2 save from the steam version with ME3 from Origin?

Of course you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, you never know with the whole steam/ea or whatever thing. Thanks anyway!

• Locked thread