Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

GW MK staff were painting White Scars marines over black undercoat to learn the new range.
I'm literally giddy over here. That's all kinds of awesome. I've gotta start a new army sometime soon so I can try out these new paints and use some cool Dragonforge bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm actually kind of excited about the texture paints. It seems to me you could do interesting effects, like roll a tire across for some churned-up muck and squish your mans' booties into it for a realistic mud look.

Oh man, that actually gets me wanting to pick up a box of something again.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Not a viking posted:

Gonna post this here because I finally got internet and a charger for my camera.

My first "treekin". This is the skin tone I've gone for on the wood elves themselves, or as close as I could get with a whole different technique.

My chaos dwarf BSB (I forgot I hadn't finished the axe. woops!). I have to say, after painting one of these gorgeous models, I was contemplating actually getting a unit of them, they are so bad rear end.

My K'daaii Destroyer in all its glowing glory:

Also finished my screaming bell and plague priest finally (well, the seer and the rat ogre, the bell and carriage has been finished ages ago):

All in all, five weeks without internet has really increased my productivity :v:

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty disappointed in myself for not owning this much.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Not a viking posted:

All in all, five weeks without internet has really increased my productivity :v:

All your stuff owns, but this screaming bell is exactly the kind of quality I'd love to get mine to, going to leave it a couple of months while I practice. Goddamn! How long did you take to paint it?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
So, I had a chance to experience the new poo poo by GW as well.
I painted a marine backpack. :v:

The base colors are nice and solid--too often with reds I find that the pigments settle after thinning, but thankfully they seem to have fixed that issue. Application was likewise strong, and the paint in general required less thinning; I'm guessing higher pigment count in a looser acrylic base was their solution.

What I really was curious about though was the dry paints. I did a pass of Underhive Ash over the red, and much to my surprise, gave a nice, smooth drybrush as opposed to the chalky consistency that I normally deal with. I applied a second layer to make the edges pop, and was pretty happy with how it turned out--I didn't use a whole lot, and in fact wiped most of what I pulled out off the brush before I went at it.
After that... Necron Compound. I knew it was either going to be awesome or totally suck. Turns out it's a nice, easy way to add metallic sheen to non-metallic colors, and will be loving awesome for the purposes of adding weathering/battle damage to vehicles, armor, and so forth.

I'm actually quite impressed by this.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Welp, today Mr Manager claimed he had painted a character model and sold it on ebay for over £700, because it was so well painted. Also if he paints and puts up a war machine army he can guarantee it will sell within 18 hours for over £1000. If you get any paint in the ferrule your brush is ruined and should be thrown away, you can't clean it out or anything, it's dead.

I want to say he's actively trying to pull my leg but he's so drat aggressive about it and specific. He's just lying rather than joking around.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lethemonster posted:

If you get any paint in the ferrule your brush is ruined and should be thrown away, you can't clean it out or anything, it's dead.

I'm guilty of believing this one, to be fair.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It's often true, i find brushes quickly lose their bristles after you get dried out paint in the ferrule, but i just change the use of the brush, from detail to washing or dry brushing or whatever.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sole.Sushi posted:

So, I had a chance to experience the new poo poo by GW as well.

If the bases and dry paints don't thicken and dry up as quickly as some of the foundation range, that would rule.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

The Supreme Court posted:

All your stuff owns, but this screaming bell is exactly the kind of quality I'd love to get mine to, going to leave it a couple of months while I practice. Goddamn! How long did you take to paint it?

Its been an on-and-off project. I probably bought this around the time it hit the shelves and then followed a goon's recipe to magnetize it.

The secret to the smoke is a strong yellow followed by three+ layers of green ink (whatever its named now :v: ). No highlighting, shading or wet blending required, just gunk that green good and thourough over the yellow.

Honestly, washes are called "skill sauce" for a reason and two, maybe three layers of paint followed by a wash will look pretty great for the effort you put into it.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 27, 2012

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Lethemonster posted:

Welp, today Mr Manager claimed he had painted a character model and sold it on ebay for over £700, because it was so well painted. Also if he paints and puts up a war machine army he can guarantee it will sell within 18 hours for over £1000. If you get any paint in the ferrule your brush is ruined and should be thrown away, you can't clean it out or anything, it's dead.

I want to say he's actively trying to pull my leg but he's so drat aggressive about it and specific. He's just lying rather than joking around.

Please ask him for eBay lot numbers, as I'd love to see his work if true. If not, then I'd love to have a good laugh at his expense.

Also, ask him if he has a budget for paint brushes per week--cleaning your brush will almost always get paint under the ferrule temporarily. :v:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Ask him why he isn't quitting his day job and living on ebay profits if he can so consistently get £1000 for a £100 army.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If the bases and dry paints don't thicken and dry up as quickly as some of the foundation range, that would rule.

Anecdotal, but the manager of my local GW said he accidentally left a pot of the dry open over night and it didn't dry out at all.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Did the guy demonstrate how the base colours don't separate much to you ? The guy I talked to did by shaking it with the lid open, any other paint and it would have been all over my trousers.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

No, he did not do this. Is that paint really that cohesive?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
No, i didn't get that, although he did hold a pot of the dry open and upside down for a while.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Refind Chaos posted:

Verdugo, man I have to say some of my most enjoyable painting time is when I paint my manly barbies while my daughter paints with watercolor. It just makes the whole experience so much more memorable and fun. I recommend to everyone try painting with someone you care about for the best painting experience. My daughter is only 3, but she enjoys our time painting together just as much as I do.

A few weeks ago while I was playing Warmachine at my local gaming club on a Saturday, she came along and painted up a Druid Solo for Circle:

I had bought her the piece on a lark, since she wants to get into Hordes and Druids are her thing. This is her first mini painted ever. She wants to paint more but is working on a large sculptured wall piece now. She saw those Autumn Circle models and now wants to do her army in that style!

It's something she never thought she'd be into. There's a place the next town over that has painting classes and we've done a few acrylic pieces on canvas together.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Verdugo posted:

A few weeks ago while I was playing Warmachine at my local gaming club on a Saturday, she came along and painted up a Druid Solo for Circle:

How old is she? That's better than the first one I painted when I was 12.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

She's his wife.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Arlaharen posted:

Only if it wasn't already painted when he started :colbert:

Does painting over an existing paint job count?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Lethemonster posted:

Tell him I'm dying to see his work and will feature it on my blog, and even interview him over the phone for a story.

I have brushes from 6 years ago I still use that I bought at hobby lobby, the dude's ffffffffffffffffull of poo poo

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Lethemonster posted:

I think this is his courting ritual.

I feel sorry for his brushes. If you take care of your brushes and don't just soak them completely with paint they can last years. If he is using very cheap brushes (because he treats them like disposable razors) I suppose this can be true, cheap brushes will die pretty quickly especially if you treat them like junk, load them up with paint or don't rinse them regularly when painting. I was told you should be dipping your brush in water every 20 seconds, I usually do it every minute or so myself.

Knowing how to treat and handle my brushes well was probably the biggest step in me moving from a crappy painter to a decent one. Every other skill depends on it but it wasn't until watching a few youtube videos that I realized I was doing it badly. You can't learn good brush control and painting techniques if you don't know how much paint you should be putting on your brush or how to keep a nice point on it. If I were to teach my friends how to paint minis (some have been asking for our irregular D&D games) brush care would be the first thing I teach them.

But yeah the man's full of poo poo and lying/exaggerating out of his rear end to try to impress you. It's amazing how over the top his lies are getting though. Even a cursory glance at eBay would tell you that even gold demon level poo poo doesn't go for that amount.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
None of what he has said is that particularly outlandish, (armies can sell for that much/etc) but he is probably still full of poo poo as far as claiming he is that good.

Plenty of painters go through good brushes pretty fast. I tend to use my basecoat brushes for a while, but the detail brushes, even really good ones, tend to die relatively quick. The bristle tip gets worn out and wont load paint, and then the paint beads up lower than the point. Its trash at that point.

Paint in the ferrule that dries there is bad news for sure.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Indolent Bastard posted:

Does painting over an existing paint job count?

It's better to soak your house in a tub of simple green for a few days instead and prime again to preserve detail.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Any tips for using Testors Dullcote over acrylics without loving anything up? Someone recommended it a ways back in this thread and it seemed to work fine on my first test model but on the second run I experienced some smudging and wrinkling of the paint. Areas of white around red details were taking on a pinkish hue, another area had ripples form in the main coat of paint and some edge highlights smudge off, etc.

The color paints are all GW and I put a coat of clear acrylic gloss on before the Dullcote. Also, it's brush-on Dullcote, if that matters. I know a lot of people swear by the spray stuff but being able to brush it on is a lot more convenient for me... I can figure out how to set up a spray operation if that's what's needed though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JerryLee posted:

Any tips for using Testors Dullcote over acrylics without loving anything up? Someone recommended it a ways back in this thread and it seemed to work fine on my first test model but on the second run I experienced some smudging and wrinkling of the paint. Areas of white around red details were taking on a pinkish hue, another area had ripples form in the main coat of paint and some edge highlights smudge off, etc.

The color paints are all GW and I put a coat of clear acrylic gloss on before the Dullcote. Also, it's brush-on Dullcote, if that matters. I know a lot of people swear by the spray stuff but being able to brush it on is a lot more convenient for me... I can figure out how to set up a spray operation if that's what's needed though.

The pinking can happen if the paint isn't completely dry before you varnish. I usually let things dry overnight before spraying just to be safe.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, I should have clarified. It's my wife. My kid is not into "nerd stuff" as he puts it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dominion posted:

The pinking can happen if the paint isn't completely dry before you varnish. I usually let things dry overnight before spraying just to be safe.

I didn't notice the pinking before the dullcote went on (i.e., when it was just gloss) and they definitely dried overnight before the two coats, though I'll remember to keep this tip in mind for the future. Any other suggestions?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dominion posted:

She's his wife.

And? :pedo:

I've tried to get my wife to play 40K and Infinity, but she says it's "too complicated." Oh well, we still have Power Grid and other board games.

No comments on my vehicle question?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JerryLee posted:

I didn't notice the pinking before the dullcote went on (i.e., when it was just gloss) and they definitely dried overnight before the two coats, though I'll remember to keep this tip in mind for the future. Any other suggestions?

Buy some spray dullcote, honestly. It's a ton easier and unlike spraying paint, you can get away with spraying dullcote indoors if you open windows and turn on a fan. It's not like getting matte varnish on your table is a big deal like it would be with paint.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Not a viking posted:

Gonna post this here because I finally got internet and a charger for my camera.

My first "treekin". This is the skin tone I've gone for on the wood elves themselves, or as close as I could get with a whole different technique.

Please tell me what you did for that purple, it is legend.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Lethemonster posted:

He's probably just a compulsive liar. 28mm characters are only going to sell for that much if they won awards or are done by a huge high-profile award winning painter (which he probably isn't, unless he's got a stack of golden demons on his store shelf). Granted, he obviously knows a thing or two, but there's so many half truths in there it's pretty meaningless.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PaintVagrant posted:

None of what he has said is that particularly outlandish, (armies can sell for that much/etc) but he is probably still full of poo poo as far as claiming he is that good.

A character model selling for over $1100 isn't outlandish?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MasterSlowPoke posted:

A character model selling for over $1100 isn't outlandish?

Not if it was an actual award-winning mini painted by a big-name painter. I wouldn't pay that much for anything but someone out there would, if it was a Demon-winning model painted by, I dunno, Les Burseley or Matt Fontaine or Jen Haley or whoever.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Namenlos posted:

Please tell me what you did for that purple, it is legend.

Vallejo model color blue violet, GW purple ink in the cracks only, a 1:1 blue violet:pallid flesh as highlight. I think I also did a 1:2 blue violet:pallid flesh on top of that, but I'm not sure (don't quote me on the scale, but those are the colors I used).

Painting skin on big models, I learned from a friend that you should let your brush run along where the muscle fibers of the muscles would go. It helps that I'm a physiotherapist ( :eng101: ) but get a drawing of a man without his skin and you'll see what I mean.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 27, 2012

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I hope you can regale us with stories of this manager that makes outlandish claims forever, I find compulsive liars infinitely fascinating (not sarcasm).

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 27, 2012

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
There is a store around the corner where one of the guys working there (GW) does have all of his golden demons and the things that one them in the window.

Jen Haley sells painted models from $200 upwards, and I've seen GD winning squads go for £600 at most over here. Dioramas can go for a lot more though.

I'm trying to think of questions I can ask to get stupid answers to. I think I made up a couple of paint brands and he had an opinion on those. Also P3 is rubbish and Vallejo Game Colour are much better.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Ask him if he'll take you home and let you look at his "brush collection".

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Miles O'Brian posted:

I hope you can regale us with stories of this manager that makes outlandish claims forever, I find compulsive liars infinity fascinating (not sarcasm).

Yeah, I had a friend who was a compulsive liar. Some of the things he would say were pretty... interesting. He couldn't help himself and would just dig himself deeper and deeper with his fabrications. It was annoying to deal with at the time but in retrospect I find it very fascinating.

He played warhams too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Not a viking posted:

Ask him if he'll take you home and let you look at his "brush collection".

NO DONT

• Locked thread