Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

fletcher posted:

I thought it was a delightful play on Car Talk, my brain automatically read it with that thick Boston accent. Why all the haters :(
Not gonna lie, I did the same thing. Click and Clack :allears:...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Mother in law accidentally defrosted a venison roast and pushed it on me, but it's hot as hell, and I don't feel like doing anything like a traditional game roast. Any suggestions?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dane posted:

Mother in law accidentally defrosted a venison roast and pushed it on me, but it's hot as hell, and I don't feel like doing anything like a traditional game roast. Any suggestions?

Chili. It's always time for chili.

Alien Teacher
Mar 1, 2004
It's all ok as long as you've pooped your pants less than your friends.
I'm looking through the other threads currently for ideas but I just got a 6 quart crockpot and am eager to use it for something besides briskets. Any suggestions for a bean dish, stew, or otherwise simple recipe to start out with?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Alien Teacher posted:

I'm looking through the other threads currently for ideas but I just got a 6 quart crockpot and am eager to use it for something besides briskets. Any suggestions for a bean dish, stew, or otherwise simple recipe to start out with?

Scientastic posted:

Chili. It's always time for chili.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Turkeybone posted:

I don't know if you're aware, but for the most part trichinosis is pretty much dead in major pork factories. You should try cooking pork to 145 at least once. I've had medium pork before and been happy with it (though this was from a frou frou local food restaurant), but try cooking pork to 145 instead of 245, you'll probably be much happier.

Yeah I actually 'undercook' my pork chops but I don't generally talk about it because I don't want the feds cracking down on me or something.

Honestly every time I try to cook pork for anyone else they freak out if it isn't super overcooked. It makes me sad :(

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

"Noni posted:

car talk

This was awesome, and you're awesome.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
What's the best way to keep morel mushrooms for long-term storage? I found a crapload yesterday and am hopefully going to be getting a whole lot more. I've been reading up online and it seems that everyone has a different suggestion. Here are my top 3 ideas and I might actually try all three just to see what works.

- Dehydrate them in a food dehydrator, keep them in dry storage, and reconstitute them when you need them

- Freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet, then vacuum-seal in bags in a single layer and store in the freezer

- Freeze them solid in a block of ice

Any input or other suggestions?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

razz posted:

- Dehydrate them in a food dehydrator, keep them in dry storage, and reconstitute them when you need them

I think this is the best option, mushrooms don't freeze all that great.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

silversiren posted:

Can I get an authentic Thai sweet potato curry recipe?
I dunno that there's a particular recipe for sweet potato curry, but the general theory to Thai curry is aromatics, curry paste, and coconut milk. Aromatics her being ginger, garlic, and shallots (preferably) or onions (easier).

1. Heat up some oil in a pan.
2. Add your aromatics. Stir for 30-60 seconds or until they smell nice.
3. Add some premade Thai curry paste (your desired flavor and spiciness and vegetarian-friendliness), stirring well.
4. Add a bit of coconut milk, incorporate the curry paste, then add the rest of the can of coconut milk.
5. Add cubed sweet potato, simmer until done.
6. Optional: add soy sauce, fish sauce, cilantro, basil, and/or diced peanuts to taste

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ron Jeremy posted:

This was awesome, and you're awesome.

Agreed. Free Noni.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Alien Teacher posted:

I'm caramelizing onions in mine right now. When they are done sometime later tonight I'll be making French Onion Soup!

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

razz posted:

What's the best way to keep morel mushrooms for long-term storage? I found a crapload yesterday and am hopefully going to be getting a whole lot more. I've been reading up online and it seems that everyone has a different suggestion. Here are my top 3 ideas and I might actually try all three just to see what works.

- Freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet, then vacuum-seal in bags in a single layer and store in the freezer

- Freeze them solid in a block of ice

Any input or other suggestions?

I have only dehyrdated them, but I have heard of people sauteing them and then freezing them, then when you use them, you put them straight into the pan from the freezer, no defrosting or they turn to mush.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

dms666 posted:

I have only dehyrdated them, but I have heard of people sauteing them and then freezing them, then when you use them, you put them straight into the pan from the freezer, no defrosting or they turn to mush.

Yeah, I read that suggestion also. A few others online said that you can just dredge them in flour (or whatever coating you want to fry them in) and freeze them that way. Then you just cook them frozen.

I really just don't want to cook all of these things at once though, I'm lazy. Plus I'd probably eat them before they ever made it to the freezer.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Then why not just eat them all? Why not revel in the joy that is a bountiful harvest of morels rather than eat a modest amount and leave the rest to a mediocre fate?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Because I picked over 4 pounds in about 45 minutes yesterday, and only took a fraction of what was in that spot :)

If I ate them all I'd probably die, haha. Or possibly...gasp...get sick of them!!!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

razz posted:

Because I picked over 4 pounds in about 45 minutes yesterday, and only took a fraction of what was in that spot :)

If I ate them all I'd probably die, haha. Or possibly...gasp...get sick of them!!!

Add more butter.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

CuddleChunks posted:

Add more butter.

I'm eating about a half pound of them cooked with at least a half stick of butter right now, no lie.

I may have to sell some. They go for about $25/lb around here, people already have ads up on Craigslist. My roommate's got morel fever now too, she was so excited yesterday when we found them.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
One of my local stores just posted a picture of "Fresh Organic Curry Leaves" so what do I make? The Macaroni?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Got a million morels?

Butter, salt, diced garlic, minced capers, and diced fresh parsley.

Cut the morels in quarters until you fill a deep casserole dish. Mix in everything else and cut the butter into chunks on the top. Bake that bitch at 350 until everything's awesome, then eat until you have to make more. To fancy up the delivery, serving bowl it and spread cold fresh sliced mozzarella and/or tomato on top. Include a ladle.

Serve with bread, preferably good sourdough or sesame baguette, for sopping up the juice. Goes well with witbiers, pale ales, ruby port or sweet white wine (Yellowtail Moscato is perfect).

It is impossible to get sick of this.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Agreed. Free Noni.

Agreed! That post, while hokey, was full of information. You gave him three days for that? :colbert:

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 27, 2012

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^^ Easy, brah. I don't want to see you probated too. :(

Very Strange Things posted:

One of my local stores just posted a picture of "Fresh Organic Curry Leaves" so what do I make? The Macaroni?
Blegh, I'm the wrong person I ask. I loathe curry leaves--they make me smell funny, which is why I hate my stepmother's cooking. (My aunt practically farms the stuff at her home in Florida, and everytime they visit each other my stepmother comes home with pounds of curry leaves to keep in the freezer.)

But if you reaaaaaly want to use them: they're strictly a seasoning ingredient, like kaffir lime leaves in Thai cuisine. (In other words: making a salad out of them would probably not be very tasty.) South Indians use them a lot more than North Indians, but you could add a pinch or two of the leaves to pretty much any curry dish and have them contribute flavor. It's not a bad flavor--like many spices in an Indian masala mix, you can't quite describe its taste but you know when it's there or not.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 27, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

razz posted:

I'm eating about a half pound of them cooked with at least a half stick of butter right now, no lie.

I may have to sell some. They go for about $25/lb around here, people already have ads up on Craigslist. My roommate's got morel fever now too, she was so excited yesterday when we found them.

Yessss, buttery morels are marvelous.

Selling them is a fantastic idea since they don't store well. Then you can recover a bit before using up that next half-stick of butter.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm making potato wedges in the oven. My red potatoes have been in a dark and dank place for too long I guess, and they're starting to develop small eyes. Can I still cut them into wedges upeeled and bake them or do I need to peel and cut the eyes out.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Wild turkey: the meat, not the Bourbon. I've got a (frozen) dressed bird with two breasts, deboned, with bone-in thighs and wings, no carcass or organs. Breasts in one freezer bag, other cuts in another.

Any recipe you'd recommend that would highlight the "wildness" of the meat? I imagine it's quite a bit different from the domesticated giant-breasted, can't fly monstrosities. I've never had it, and I'm tasked with cooking it for the guy who gave it to me. Suggestions?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Eat This Glob posted:

Wild turkey... Suggestions?
I've had Coq au Vin made with wild turkey (in a crock pot no less) and it was FABULOUS.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you use the Wild Turkey in place of the wine?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm picturing him replacing the coq with Wild Turkey

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Why not just make Wild Turkey au Wild Turkey

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

^^^ Easy, brah. I don't want to see you probated too. :(
Blegh, I'm the wrong person I ask. I loathe curry leaves--they make me smell funny, which is why I hate my stepmother's cooking. (My aunt practically farms the stuff at her home in Florida, and everytime they visit each other my stepmother comes home with pounds of curry leaves to keep in the freezer.)

But if you reaaaaaly want to use them: they're strictly a seasoning ingredient, like kaffir lime leaves in Thai cuisine. (In other words: making a salad out of them would probably not be very tasty.) South Indians use them a lot more than North Indians, but you could add a pinch or two of the leaves to pretty much any curry dish and have them contribute flavor. It's not a bad flavor--like many spices in an Indian masala mix, you can't quite describe its taste but you know when it's there or not.

Thanks. I looked at some pictures and it seemed to be used as a garnish too. I think I'll make a regular curry and throw in a couple as though they are bay leaves, then garnish with a bit of it -they are pretty at least.

Raynor
Mar 28, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

Wild turkey: the meat, not the Bourbon. I've got a (frozen) dressed bird with two breasts, deboned, with bone-in thighs and wings, no carcass or organs. Breasts in one freezer bag, other cuts in another.

Any recipe you'd recommend that would highlight the "wildness" of the meat? I imagine it's quite a bit different from the domesticated giant-breasted, can't fly monstrosities. I've never had it, and I'm tasked with cooking it for the guy who gave it to me. Suggestions?

Simple pan roast might do that bird well. Simple and to keep that 'wild' edge on perhaps serve it on a bed of wild rice. If you don't like wings you could use them to make broth and cook the wild rice in that to infuse some of that game bird flavor.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

It's always possible the produce guy at my local grocery is an idiot poorly-informed. :v:

In Australia at least, spring onions/green onions/scallions are also called shallots. Are we talking long green things or little brown/yellow/purple bulb onion things?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since UK and US cuts of beef are different, what specifically do I want when trying to get american brisket? I know that its not a totally different cut but I'm after the kind of thinner cuts that seem standard in the US. The cut I bought was round if any of this makes sense

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

branedotorg posted:

little brown/yellow/purple bulb onion things?

This, usually purple. Scallions is the term in this area for little green onion shoots.

I had a thought, it may be that the cooler racks are configurable by section (or even shelf, it would just be a matter of ball valves I assume), and thus the section with the shallots and peppers and stuff wouldn't have to be actively cooled.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
(I'm not American.)

What exactly is meant by "sodium" when it comes to nutritional info? I know it's what we call natrium, but we never talk about stuff containing natrium. Is it just regular salt (NaCl)?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Per posted:

(I'm not American.)

What exactly is meant by "sodium" when it comes to nutritional info? I know it's what we call natrium, but we never talk about stuff containing natrium. Is it just regular salt (NaCl)?

Yes, it's about "regular salt", and if you eat too many things that have nutritional information on them in the first place, you're bound to ingest too much salt on a daily basis, and develop a high blood pressure, kidney issues, and it'll kill you dead.

edit to add some figures:

-A person needs about 2 grams of salt (NaCl) per day.

-It is adviced to not eat more than 6 grams of salt (NaCl) a day....this is comparable to 2.4 grams of sodium/natrium (Na) per day

-Most people eat a lot more salt than this on a daily basis.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 28, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

paraquat posted:

if you eat too many things that have nutritional information on them in the first place, you're bound to ingest too much salt on a daily basis

:raise: Is this a joke, or a goony "Do your body good, eat unpackaged foods!" pitch?

No offense intended but your information about the wicked dangers of salt is pretty outdated. It's been de-demonized in the last couple years, along with eggs and a lot of dietary fats.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I have some homemade kimchi that ended up way, way too salty to eat by itself. Is there anything I can use it in that might mitigate the salt (like a soup or something), or should I just toss the batch and start over again?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Splizwarf posted:

:raise: Is this a joke, or a goony "Do your body good, eat unpackaged foods!" pitch?

No offense intended but your information about the wicked dangers of salt is pretty outdated. It's been de-demonized in the last couple years, along with eggs and a lot of dietary fats.

No, no, I wasn't making a joke.
I'm Dutch, and it's a fact that the average Dutch person consumes 10 to 12 grams of salt a day, even though consuming more than 6 grams a day is adviced against, and that is mainly because of the intake of bread and ready made products (jars, packages, pizza's, whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

I have some homemade kimchi that ended up way, way too salty to eat by itself. Is there anything I can use it in that might mitigate the salt (like a soup or something), or should I just toss the batch and start over again?

Kimchi jjigae it up