Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

the posted:

I have an Asus Transformer. Lately it's been.. acting weird. I don't know if it's ever since the system update to ICS, but it's pretty close.

-Random reboots.

-Sometimes the home screen just... goes blank. And all I get is the background and the bottom buttons. No option really but to reset.

What the hell is going on?

Seems like ASUS pushed out ICS before it was ready, it's a pretty widespread problem over at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1544882

ASUS are almost too quick in pushing out updates, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was is another bug fix in a week or so since the last one was a fortnight ago. That'll probably fix it. Or make it worse. Or do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the posted:

I have an Asus Transformer. Lately it's been.. acting weird. I don't know if it's ever since the system update to ICS, but it's pretty close.
-Random reboots.
-Sometimes the home screen just... goes blank. And all I get is the background and the bottom buttons. No option really but to reset.
Judging from XDA and AndroidCentral threads this is not uncommon, and may not even be ASUS-specific, but could be a general ICS problem. I'd hang tight and wait for an ICS update to address it. I'm sure google and ASUS are on it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

randyest posted:

Judging from XDA and AndroidCentral threads this is not uncommon, and may not even be ASUS-specific, but could be a general ICS problem. I'd hang tight and wait for an ICS update to address it. I'm sure google and ASUS are on it.

There was an update to fix it. It may have made the problem a little better but it didn't fix it completely. Also it's funny to hear someone say that Asus pushed out ICS too early because most people were ready to throw bricks through windows with how much longer it took to get ICS on the TF101 than on the TF201.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
No idea it's happening with mine too, though. Random reboots persist after the last update.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

evilweasel posted:

People should seriously take a look at the thinkpad tablet, I like it a lot and it seems to get overlooked.

I was really looking forward to it before it launched, but the reviews were pretty lackluster. Did Lenovo release ICS for it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

the posted:

-Random reboots.

ICS is just terrible for it, the hardware can't handle it. I got rid of mine for those reasons.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

ICS is just terrible for it, the hardware can't handle it. I got rid of mine for those reasons.

Is the Galaxy Tab the tablet to have now?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Its been drat near flawless for me. Were you using a custom ROM?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

rock2much posted:

Is the Galaxy Tab the tablet to have now?

I believe the consensus is the Galaxy Tab or Transformer Prime.

I want a release date for the Galaxy Note Tab =[

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Duckman2008 posted:

I am running ICS on my TF101 flawlessly as well. When I first got ICS on my non-rooted TF101, it would reboot about twice a week. I since rooted and flashed revolution (based off the latest stock ICS source from ASUS) ROM and have been solid ever since without a single reboot.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kynetx posted:

I was really looking forward to it before it launched, but the reviews were pretty lackluster. Did Lenovo release ICS for it?

It's coming in May.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

What? A Tegra 2 should be more than sufficient for Ice Cream Sandwich.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is it just an issue of Asus having no quality control again? Is the update bringing out hardware issues that weren't manifesting with Honeycomb?

Otherwise, I don't get it. The Touchpad has had really stable CM9 for awhile now, ported by hobbyists hacking poo poo together for a device that wasn't meant to run Android at all. Is that the best Ice Cream Sandwich tablet experience right now (excepting getting a functioning Transformer Prime)? Are 4.0-based custom roms on the Transformer or Galaxy Tab(s) also generally better than official releases?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
My original Transformer runs ICS fine.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007E8TWPU/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

New Acer tablet on Amazon

Key Features:
10.1” HD Multi-Touch Display: (1280 x 800) resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio
Android™ 4.0 Operating System (Ice Cream Sandwich)
NVIDIA® Tegra™ 3 Quad Core Mobile Processor (1.3GHz) Super 4-PLUS-1™ Quad Core with Battery Saver Core
1GB DDR2 Memory
Ultra Low Power (ULP) High Performance 12-core NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU
32GB internal storage
MicroSD memory slot up to 32GB
Dolby® Mobile 3 Technology
Stereo Speakers
Dual-Analog Microphone
802.11b/g/n Wireless
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR
1- Micro USB 2.0 Port
1- Micro-HDMI™ Out
5MP Rear-Facing Camera with Auto Focus
1MP Front-Facing HD Camera
Sensors:G-Sensor, E-Compass, L Sensor, Gyro-meter
Rechargeable Lithium-ion polymer Battery
Up to 11-hours of Video Playback via Wi-fi(1)(1) Battery life varies depending on product specifications, tablet settings and applications or features launched.
Up to 13-hours of Video Playback one system(2) (2) Battery life varies depending on product specifications, tablet settings and applications or features launched. Video Playback on system (Not streaming Wi-fi off)
Color: Black

$449.99

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Looks like some cheap ICS android tablets are starting to show up.

http://www.envizendigital.com/products/59.html

7" ICS tablet, RK2918 chipset (hardware H264 playback), but single core A8 cpu.

Basically a small no-frills tablet. Street price is $125-135.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Amazon just pushed out an update for the fire (6.3). Anyone have a changelog? I think all i've noticed so far is a slightly updated keyboard with hold-to-expand capabilitites.

Edit: and also a way to view websites as text only

Insurrectum fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 27, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Ciabatta posted:

Is it just an issue of Asus having no quality control again? Is the update bringing out hardware issues that weren't manifesting with Honeycomb?

Otherwise, I don't get it. The Touchpad has had really stable CM9 for awhile now, ported by hobbyists hacking poo poo together for a device that wasn't meant to run Android at all. Is that the best Ice Cream Sandwich tablet experience right now (excepting getting a functioning Transformer Prime)? Are 4.0-based custom roms on the Transformer or Galaxy Tab(s) also generally better than official releases?

Firstly, it works fine for most. Second, the CM9 version for the touchpad is very good, but every bit as buggy as you'd expect for a non-OEM build. Third, custom ROMs rarely bring more stability, the benefits are usually more inclined more toward speed or unlocking features or removing carrier shitware.
Personally, I just root and tear out the bloat.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
That Acer tablet last looks interesting, good specs and it is actually priced cheaper than an ipad; I wonder what the catch is?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Am I reading that right, or does the new Iconia not have a USB slot? I thought it was pretty useful on my Iconia a500; I could use flash drives to move stuff to my tablet if I didn't feel like connecting it directly to my computer, and I didn't need to buy a Bluetooth keyboard, instead I could just dust off whatever USB keyboard I had laying around. Then again, the Iconia a500 is also pretty bulky so maybe they were trying to cut down on niche appeal things like that.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

No standard USB on device, though that's not an uncommon omission for tablets.

I too prefer tablets with USB without needing a dock connector or some kind of dongle. I wish manufacturers would just put one on; I have a feeling it's motivated by money though. MicroUSB probably promotes additional storage sales through specific vendors where regular USB facilitates storage from just about everyone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

My original Transformer runs ICS fine.

Mine was a rooted stock ROM, I wiped it twice and it was still laggy. My personal experience with it ended on a sour note. I sold it and got a Touchpad, and the Touchpad running CM9 just runs way better.

In the end, if people are happy, great, but right now Android Tablets in general just are hit or miss, and the software support is just not there or even on the horizon.

Endless Mike posted:

What? A Tegra 2 should be more than sufficient for Ice Cream Sandwich.

It should be sure. Whether it was Asus rushing the update or the hardware, I really couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is it ran mostly fine on Honeycomb, and for me ran terribly on ICS.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DeceasedHorse posted:

That Acer tablet last looks interesting, good specs and it is actually priced cheaper than an ipad; I wonder what the catch is?

The screen.

I'll bet they're using the same panel as in my A500 which while perfectly usable isn't quite as good as the old iPad let alone the new one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Duckman2008 posted:

It can absolutely handle ICS, they just did a really poo poo job porting it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Duckman2008 posted:

Mine was a rooted stock ROM, I wiped it twice and it was still laggy. My personal experience with it ended on a sour note. I sold it and got a Touchpad, and the Touchpad running CM9 just runs way better.

In the end, if people are happy, great, but right now Android Tablets in general just are hit or miss, and the software support is just not there or even on the horizon.

It should be sure. Whether it was Asus rushing the update or the hardware, I really couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is it ran mostly fine on Honeycomb, and for me ran terribly on ICS.

I never had root on my transformer, besides a few days when I first got it. I've also not had problems with it. I think these are probably connected.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
ICS has been pretty lovely on my unrooted Transformer. Basically, if it's asleep and unplugged for any length of time, it's likely to turn off or reboot, often hanging in the process. Also, Angry Birds likes to hang.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

I never had root on my transformer, besides a few days when I first got it. I've also not had problems with it. I think these are probably connected.

I had several lockups a day on my Prime, unrooted. Got a replacement one and rooted it, no problems at all.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Oddly enough, ICS keeps getting better with CyanogenMod9, I charged my nook last night when it was at 40% after 5 days. A deep sleeping device without the cellphone bits broadcasting is sweet.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Asus isn't infringing on Hasbro trademarks with the Transformer Prime. Although, Asus had to reveal embarrassing sale stats in court filings--only 2,000 preorders last month

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Toady posted:

Asus isn't infringing on Hasbro trademarks with the Transformer Prime. Although, Asus had to reveal embarrassing sale stats in court filings--only 2,000 preorders last month

Odd. Why would there have been pre-orders last month?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kynetx posted:

They are using the term pre-orders to refer to end users that have ordered them. Maybe from asus directly?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kynetx posted:

I'm not sure but in the time it took to type your message Apple sold more The New iPads than Asus pre-sold Primes.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kynetx posted:

I think it means 2,000 per orders total, as of last month. At least that's how I read this:

"So when court filings reveal that pre-orders for this poster child for Android 4 tablets (and it does look great) total a whopping 2,000 units as of a month ago, it’s kind of a letdown. That and 80,000 going to retailers worldwide make the device seem rather minor even in comparison to other Android products like the Nook Color and Kindle Fire."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
This is from the court document

"For some of the same reasons discussed in concluding that the balance of the hardshipsfavors Asus, the Court concludes that the present injunction would not serve the public interest. First, as noted, Asus contends that a recall would hurt its component suppliers and fabricators,and submits that as of February 24, 2012, it had received over 2,000 pre-orders (end usercustomers who have ordered Asus tablet computers and given credit card information), and thatretailer fulfillment orders for the next two months total approximately 80,000 tablet computers."

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So 80,000 per 2 months = about half a million for the year. Not great but better than the numbers that were rumored for the Xoom.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rastor posted:

So 80,000 per 2 months = about half a million for the year. Not great but better than the numbers that were rumored for the Xoom.

Having 80,000 ordered for a specific 2 months does not mean it will stay the same on further months. You cant extrapolate it like that.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rastor posted:

Wasn't it released 12/1/2011 in Taiwan and 12/19/2011 everywhere else? I guess it's not clear if that 80k figure is as of the start or end of last month, but either way its pretty anemic, and beating Xoom sales isn't much to be proud of. Also not sure if it's fair to extrapolate that to a year and assume sales would maintain the same rate as launch, especially given all the attention the press has given the problems with it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

randyest posted:

Wasn't it released 12/1/2011 in Taiwan and 12/19/2011 everywhere else? I guess it's not clear if that 80k figure is as of the start or end of last month, but either way its pretty anemic, and beating Xoom sales isn't much to be proud of. Also not sure if it's fair to extrapolate that to a year and assume sales would maintain the same rate as launch, especially given all the attention the press has given the problems with it.

Those are the dates it was "released" on paper, but no one could actually get them till end of december and into january.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well yes obviously you can expect the numbers will go down as new models are introduced, and also that they were higher back when it was newly announced...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rastor posted:

Well yes obviously you can expect the numbers will go down as new models are introduced, and also that they were higher back when it was newly announced...

Do you have a source? As far as I know this is the first mention of any sales numbers.