Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

That was my thought on the matter, but I had a tow line in the water and was just going to winch it up even if he tried to sail off. I'd already unbuckled the boom and furled the jib so his rear end wasn't really going anywhere.

If some random dude can figure out how to raise the mast and unfurl the jib on my hobie they're more than welcome to take it for a spin. Straight up. It's such a huge pain in the rear end ugh I hate that boat :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

I'd already unbuckled the boom and furled the jib so his rear end wasn't really going anywhere.

This is a hell of a sentence (I don't know anything about sailing)

I wish motorcycling had cooler terms

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I ever got a catamaran it would have to be one of these

http://www.windrider.com/windrider_rave.aspx

(Or maybe someday I'll just build one)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
bitch please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82CDZcpqyNU

Nacra cats are where it's at.

Also since this is now catchat, I'd like to mention that my hobie has the old style banana hulls that love to make you do sweet frontflips when you're flying. I'm selling it to a friend next week so it can be his problem, but hopefully I'll get some sweet gopro vids of me catapulting everyone off of it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Push starboard, lean starboard, go starboard

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Stories about people sitting on poo poo is why I always leave my bike in gear. Should at least help keep the non-bike retards from rolling/knocking it over.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Dang, you guys got it all wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M17OzFX9hxY

Moth supremacy

e: everyone should get a bike version of those carseat beads, and then embed pigeon spikes in the beads.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ziploc posted:

Stories about people sitting on poo poo is why I always leave my bike in gear. Should at least help keep the non-bike retards from rolling/knocking it over.

Mine is hard to climb up, I operate under the assumption that it might discourage would-be sitter-onners.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What about those laptop alarms that set off an ear-piercing siren when you bump them? Dangle one off the bars and you're set.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
One of the member of the local scoot club came out to 3 20somethings playing with her Stella just this week. She when all sorts of crazy on them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zodiac supremacy. They're the supermoto of the sea!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
My retirement plan is to pick up a 40-50' boat modify a cabin to fit an enduro and sail/ride the world. I've got about 25k saved up so far, at 200k I'm freaking gone baby. I'm hoping to set sail by the time I hit 40, I've got 15 years to work on everything.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

EDIT: My worst fear with kids is them grabbing the exhaust or the top end of the engine, or tipping the bike onto themselves.

My kidlets are pretty drat good about that. Know not to stand behind the exhaust, touch anything unless I ask them to or fiddle. But that's training and one or two examples of what not to touch (after them seeing what an V-22 Osprey model did to my hand, they know not to stand anywhere near the moving parts of a RC model)

Speaking of which, I've been contemplating picking up a small trial bike for the kids (girl 6 - boy 5) to ride around the backyard and maybe elsewhere. Thinking an Oset electric trial bike. Silent, easy to ride, top speed adjustable, and cheap. Anyone have any useful tips on what to get, what not to do, or suggestions on a suitable bike? The only real requirement is being in suburbia, noise will be a problem.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My retirement plan is to pick up a 40-50' boat modify a cabin to fit an enduro and sail/ride the world. I've got about 25k saved up so far, at 200k I'm freaking gone baby. I'm hoping to set sail by the time I hit 40, I've got 15 years to work on everything.

Awesome. Remember to budget for satellite internet so you can keep the trip report thread updated.

And yes, motorcycling needs cooler terms. Sailing is all about 400 year old military lingo and contraction. Forecastle = forksel. Crossjack = crojack.

I suggest the following:

Shiftershaft seal = shaftsel
Clutch handle = clodle
Kicking rad stoppie = kopie

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
:psyduck: I can't believe people really dick around with parked bikes! When it was first brought up I thought it would be brushed off as heresy.

That's one of my biggest worries when I just park my bicycle somewhere, and my ride isn't even all that fancy (~1k Bianchi). I've never really had someone directly mess with my bike, but the worry is always there when people who have never seen a roadbike before walk by and "want to take a closer look without asking." :rolleyes:

It's not really a problem if they ask, but I just can't fathom why people touch poo poo that isn't theirs. I mean hell these are skills that are reinforced in middle school: where along the path of adulthood do people lose the ability to be respectful for others' property?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

And yes, motorcycling needs cooler terms. Sailing is all about 400 year old military lingo and contraction. Forecastle = forksel. Crossjack = crojack.

"Yeah, I was totally dragnee up on the twisties and moads, but then my forend hit a potle and I washed out, so I had to layerdan."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

Awesome. Remember to budget for satellite internet so you can keep the trip report thread updated.

I suggest the following:

Shiftershaft seal = shaftsel
Clutch handle = clodle
Kicking rad stoppie = kopie

This should also be the internet logo for someone who can work on carbs

tun®

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Boru posted:

:psyduck: I can't believe people really dick around with parked bikes! When it was first brought up I thought it would be brushed off as heresy.

That's half the reason I have an alarm on mine. If somebody starts to gently caress with it, *CHIRP CHIRP*. If they then continue to gently caress with it, *CHWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEEWEWEWEWEWEWWEEWEWEWEWWEEWE* and I get nasty looks when I walk out of Whole Foods and have to turn it off.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Safety Dance posted:

That's half the reason I have an alarm on mine. If somebody starts to gently caress with it, *CHIRP CHIRP*. If they then continue to gently caress with it, *CHWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEEWEWEWEWEWEWWEEWEWEWEWWEEWE* and I get nasty looks when I walk out of Whole Foods and have to turn it off.

Tell me more about this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Tell me more about this.

This is the website of the manufacturer. http://www.freymoto.com/our-products/cyclone-motorcycle-security.html

They're pretty cool. I emailed them about the alarm making pitiful cheeping sounds when I was laid up with a broken leg and the bike's battery was putting out about 9v, and Jesse Frey got back to me a couple hours later.

It's got a shock sensor that chirps if someone starts messing with your luggage and stuff, and it's got a tilt sensor that makes loud noises if someone tries to move your bike. The only time I don't use it is if motorcycle parking is all full, and someone might need to move my bike a little to get out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arent bike alarms like car alarms in that they just annoy people and no one even thinks twice when they hear them go off?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If it's so sensitive that city buses set it off, then your neighbors probably just want it to be stolen, anyways.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Arent bike alarms like car alarms in that they just annoy people and no one even thinks twice when they hear them go off?

I don't leave anything worth stealing in or on the bike, and there aren't any windows, so it's not like someone's going to do a smash and grab. I like to think the alarm would be just enough of a deterrent to someone trying to get my bike into the back of a pickup truck that they'd pass on it and get the next guy's bike instead.

Alarms aren't guaranteed safety, but having one gives me an extra little bit of warm-fuzzy feeling.

Slim Pickens posted:

If it's so sensitive that city buses set it off, then your neighbors probably just want it to be stolen, anyways.

It learns. Back when I used to park it on or near the street, I got a couple of false chirps, and then it stopped alerting when a dump truck would drive by.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Largely.. So I got an airhorn wired up to my alarm, it's hard to ignore :) I also like to think that any fucker stealing it is going to be atleast partially defeaned for a little while.

Safety Dance posted:

This is the website of the manufacturer. http://www.freymoto.com/our-products/cyclone-motorcycle-security.html

They're pretty cool. I emailed them about the alarm making pitiful cheeping sounds when I was laid up with a broken leg and the bike's battery was putting out about 9v, and Jesse Frey got back to me a couple hours later.

It's got a shock sensor that chirps if someone starts messing with your luggage and stuff, and it's got a tilt sensor that makes loud noises if someone tries to move your bike. The only time I don't use it is if motorcycle parking is all full, and someone might need to move my bike a little to get out.

I swear this poo poo is so much cheaper in the UK: motorbikealarm.co.uk . Do you have thatcham ratings in the US? It's a bit of a joke, but it's the only categorisation of security that most insurance companies here recognise despite it being rubbish.

_Dav fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 28, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

_Dav posted:

Do you have thatcham ratings in the US? It's a bit of a joke, but it's the only categorisation of security that most insurance companies here recognise despite it being rubbish.

Nope.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I got complained about today apparently.

There is a roundabout near where I go of an afternoon to chill out after work and I usually just cruise on through it at 55km/hr if there's nobody else around and it gets me a nice lean as I come to the other side of the roundabout. If I want I can push just a smidge on the bar to lean the bike over that little bit extra and scrape my peg, which, if there is nobody around I usually do as .. it's fun. I only ever go through at 55 - 60 if there's nobody around so I can do exactly that. If there's anyone I take it at more like 40 or something.

Apparently I'm upsetting someone who saw me do it as they complained about me doing that to my parents (which I found amusing). I don't get why anyone would complain - I'm not doing it when anyone else is on the road, it's an easy lean even for me and I haven't been riding that long.

What a douche. It's not like I go around doing burnouts, wheelies and stoppies everywhere while raping and pillaging in my spare time. :(

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

At certain RPMs of my bike, for some loving strange reason it makes the inside of my right ear feel like there is earwax rattling around it and it makes me feel like ripping my helmet off and jamming some sharp object in my ear.

gently caress you, harmonic frequencies.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Shimrod posted:

Apparently I'm upsetting someone who saw me do it as they complained about me doing that to my parents (which I found amusing). I don't get why anyone would complain - I'm not doing it when anyone else is on the road, it's an easy lean even for me and I haven't been riding that long.

I think the best part of this would be if you were in your 30s and your parents were like 70. At least the ensuing exchange in my head sounds funny. :downs:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Boru posted:

I think the best part of this would be if you were in your 30s and your parents were like 70. At least the ensuing exchange in my head sounds funny. :downs:

I'm 22 and they're in their 50s. I work with them though so see every day.

Turns out it was my sister who complained about me. (Who I've been helping learn to ride) :/

E: amusing part is dad was half laughing and on my side/half trying to be 'mad' in front of mum :D

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Shimrod posted:

Turns out it was my sister who complained about me. (Who I've been helping learn to ride) :/

Ah the apprentice has become the master.

EDIT: Quote selection.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Boru posted:

Ah the apprentice has become the master.

EDIT: Quote selection.

Not really but she needs all the help she can get. I basically just tag along when she's out with Dad/an open license rider and give her tips on what I see. Don't pretend to be an expert :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Odette posted:

At certain RPMs of my bike, for some loving strange reason it makes the inside of my right ear feel like there is earwax rattling around it and it makes me feel like ripping my helmet off and jamming some sharp object in my ear.

gently caress you, harmonic frequencies.

I get the same thing. Really good ear plugs help a lot.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Just had a weird conversation with a guy that lives across the road. Was out washing my bike and some druggie-looking guy with a black plaster on his throat walks over slowly. I naturally assumed that he was just going to say nice bike and wander off, but he tells me that he lives in the block of flats across the road and chased off two kids trying to steal a bike a few days ago. He didn't really remember which bike, but said it was indeed mine when I prompted him asking if it was covered.

I'm kind of unsure of what to think... Either he's flat out lying and just being a dick, or theres people that are actively trying to nick my bike. He said that it was two kids that looked like they knew what they were doing and gave me the standard anecdote of a friend of his having a bike stolen all locked up and whatnot. Looks like I'll have to be more paranoid from now on, whipping out the sound activated walkie-talkies now :( For gently caress sake London.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Paranoid crackheads are paranoid. It does happen though. I have a paranoid neighbor and he kept on going on about people nicking his poo poo or messing with his wheels when he's obviously just forgetting stuff, but sure enough one day my bicycle quick-release skewer had been removed in the night. Apparently the guys couldn't figure out how to unhook the cantilever brake so the wheel was still there.

Lock your bike to something if you can, but I wouldn't stress out over it.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

_Dav posted:

Just had a weird conversation with a guy that lives across the road. Was out washing my bike and some druggie-looking guy with a black plaster on his throat walks over slowly.

Was it this guy? I hear he's a real dick, I wouldn't worry about it.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Safety Dance posted:

Hmm, $200. Would this be worth to get for a $5k+ bike?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Id just make sure to have good insurance coverage. If someone wants to steal it they will figure out a way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Idea for less mysogynistic biker t-shirt. Says on the back: "If you can read this, the bitch is riding independently on her own bike".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Idea for less mysogynistic biker t-shirt. Says on the back: "If you can read this, the bitch is riding independently on her own bike".

Better yet, to be worn by the wife:

"If you can read this, please pull my idiot husband from the ditch".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Self critical: If you can read this, I'm an idiot riding in only a t-shirt.