Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I somehow glossed over the fact that the X-Men are now considered the Ultimate Runaways. Was that just a total throwaway line or did I miss something where that was more official?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I somehow glossed over the fact that the X-Men are now considered the Ultimate Runaways. Was that just a total throwaway line or did I miss something where that was more official?

It's a throwaway line/minor reference. It's not like Molly is hanging with them or Nico has joined up or anything.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Maybe I missed something obvious, but if the Spider-Men event isn't labeled Ultimate couldn't it be a teaser for a 616 story?

Maybe they're gonna introduce a 616 version of Miles without crossing universes or whatever.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Maybe I missed something obvious, but if the Spider-Men event isn't labeled Ultimate couldn't it be a teaser for a 616 story?

Maybe they're gonna introduce a 616 version of Miles without crossing universes or whatever.

First thing that came to my mind was the reunion between Scarlet and Reg'lar.
Surely would be entertaining, a visit between Morales and Parker.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kaine is already running around as the new Scarlet Spider, so maybe it's just them teaming up. Or Ben coming back and teaming up with one of them (it would be more interesting to see him with Kaine than Peter).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Perhaps it's undoing One More Day.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Dacap posted:

Miles meets Ultimate Andrew Garfield when they make a sequel to the in-universe Spider-Man movie.

Given the players on the book and their propensity to acknowledge the movies from within the story, I'd say this is the most likely scenario.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
If Bendis and Pichelli are involved it's more than likely an Ultimate storyline, but I doubt we'll see a crossover with 616.

Isn't Ultimate Kaine/the scarred Parker clone still alive? I could see him trying to take the mantel of Spider-Man and Miles having to prove himself over an insane version of the person he's modeling his persona after.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Perhaps it's undoing One More Day.

Don't get my hopes up. :smith:

I believe the logo they used was the new Ultimate Spider-Man logo tho' so it feels like it has to at least involve him.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

ImpAtom posted:

I believe the logo they used was the new Ultimate Spider-Man logo tho' so it feels like it has to at least involve him.
I swear the right silhouette is taking from some art of Miles too

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TheJoker138 posted:

It's a throwaway line/minor reference. It's not like Molly is hanging with them or Nico has joined up or anything.

No, I get that, what I meant was does this mean that the X-Men ARE the Ultimate Runaways, or what?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Myrddin Emrys posted:

No, I get that, what I meant was does this mean that the X-Men ARE the Ultimate Runaways, or what?

It's just their code name, so nah, I don't think they're really them. It's just a reference. Also, I'm fairly sure that Ultimate Molly Hayes got killed a few issues ago. Or some other random little mutant girl with a cute frog hat thing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Kaleidoscope posted:

Isn't Ultimate Kaine/the scarred Parker clone still alive?

I'm fairly certain he was killed during the Clone Saga, either by MJ when she was a red monster, or by Ock.

It is too bad that MJ's powers never came back up. I know she had a few hand tremors post-Clone Saga arc, but it was never mentioned after Ultimatum.

Then again, this is the same universe where Gwen was actually Carnage and everyone is all like "Welp, she looks like Gwen sooooo....."

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Scorpion Peter Clone is still alive, or at least he hasn't shown to have died.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm actually waiting for Gwen to come back to NY and go crazy Carnage powers on Miles and the adjacent city blocks for using the Spider-Man name.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

wiegieman posted:

I'm actually waiting for Gwen to come back to NY and go crazy Carnage powers on Miles and the adjacent city blocks for using the Spider-Man name.

Spider-Woman pretty much already did this though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah seriously I don't want Miles to have to fight every single person who knew Peter for using his name, as if that was somehow a really evil thing to do.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Surprised that WonderCon has passed without any announcement about what exactly Spider-Men is. Well, it can't be that much longer; I'm guessing that Marvel has given an exclusive to a mainstream media outlet that'll appear in the next couple weeks.

Anyways, Brian Wood is taking over Ultimate X-Men, beginning with #13. A couple interesting quotes in CBR's interview:

quote:

Nick Spencer didn't just bring these characters together, he also set up a world full of mysteries like why so many "dead" mutants seem to be appearing alive and well. What was it like taking over the book from Nick? Are you interested in tackling some of the mysteries he set up right away or do you want to deepen these mysteries and let them grow for awhile?

It's tricky, because based on what I've seen, Nick was taking a real longview with his plotting, seeding things that were not likely to be resolved for years, probably. My job, as it was given to me and also as per my own instincts, is to re-focus the book and re-establish the core cast and get it in line with what's happening in the "Ultimates" and "Ultimate Spider-Man." The Ultimate universe is tight, we're all working really closely together to make sure our plots line up and reflect each other and adhere to a common timeline.

The longterm stuff that Nick set up will take a breather for a little bit while we take care of that immediate business.

Speaking of immediate plans, "Ultimate Comics X-Men" #13 hits in June. What's your first issue all about?

We start off with a Kitty-centric issue to re-introduce her -- its been many months since she's been front and center, and as I kick off my run my first order of business is to establish her as my lead. And also to give her a mission, and essentially she is fed up with hiding from the world. The worse it gets out there in the world the less she can stomach just lying low and doing nothing. From that point on you'll see an extremely proactive Kitty Pryde, one determined to lead the group into the locus of the conflict. You'll also see a more "out" Kitty in terms of her identity as a mutant, and her willingness to challenge the forces against her kind out in the open and for the world to see. I hesitate to get into too much detail before I even start, but this should give you a good idea of the tone of it all.

It sounds like Spencer may have been fired due to editorial displeasure with his emphasis on long-term plotting (he's in the middle of a six-issue stretch in which the core cast from the first arc doesn't appear at all), though it's also possible that he just wanted to focus more on creator-owned books.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 18, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Barry Convex posted:

Surprised that WonderCon has passed without any announcement about what exactly Spider-Men is. Well, it can't be that much longer; I'm guessing that Marvel has given an exclusive to a mainstream media outlet that'll appear in the next couple weeks.

Anyways, Brian Wood is taking over Ultimate X-Men, beginning with #13.

It sounds like Spencer may have been fired due to editorial displeasure with his emphasis on long-term plotting (he's in the middle of a six-issue stretch in which the core cast from the first arc doesn't appear at all), though it's also possible that he just wanted to focus more on creator-owned books.

I view this as a good thing. I liked Spencer's start on the title quite a bit, but getting away from that for so long is not the way to go in my opinion. On one hand I'm glad that someone was planning a long term goal, on the other I feel that Wood is right in that the focus needs to really be on the core group.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

quote:

Nick was taking a real longview with his plotting, seeding things that were not likely to be resolved for years, probably. My job, as it was given to me and also as per my own instincts, is to re-focus the book and re-establish the core cast and get it in line with what's happening in the "Ultimates" and "Ultimate Spider-Man."

Wow. Yeah, that feels like they fired him all right. I actually like where UXM has been going.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Marvel have started to fill in the shadowed out images for the Spider-Men book either confirming or upping the red-herrings that it'll be a 616/Ultimate crossover.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would think its a red herring, because I don't believe Marvel would miss the opportunity to draw out the mystery.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Can someone explain to me The Hulks deal in Ultimate Comics line right now, I just read the latest Ultimates by Hickman and the hulk goes from mindless to intelligent in a matter of seconds and in the same conversation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hollis posted:

Can someone explain to me The Hulks deal in Ultimate Comics line right now, I just read the latest Ultimates by Hickman and the hulk goes from mindless to intelligent in a matter of seconds and in the same conversation.

Banner has some degree of control on his Hulk form granted by meditating with monks or something, but it takes some effort, especially in an emotionally volatile state.

This is infered from what we've seen though, no one's gone all Jeff Goldblum and spelled it out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I really liked Ultimates. Except the end where they seemingly and easily captured most of them. Which means the only one that can save them and fight off Reed is..

... Miles :allears:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really liked Ultimates. Except the end where they seemingly and easily captured most of them. Which means the only one that can save them and fight off Reed is..

... Miles :allears:

Or Cap.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Hollis posted:

He's under the mental control of Jean Grey, which puts him under the control of Nick Fury. Which means that they can unleash the beast when necessary.

It seems that Reed is smart enough to use arguments that actually reach past the rage.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Lurdiak posted:

This is infered from what we've seen though, no one's gone all Jeff Goldblum and spelled it out.

I thought it was spelled out in Hulk vs Wolverine?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Waterhaul posted:

Marvel have started to fill in the shadowed out images for the Spider-Men book either confirming or upping the red-herrings that it'll be a 616/Ultimate crossover.

I'm voting this is partially to drum up attention for the Ultimate Spiderman Cartoon.

Just breezed through the pilot preview. One change that I think is brilliant is that they updated Jameson really cleverly: He's now Rupert Murdoch.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
So, completely evil then?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Illvillainy posted:

So, completely evil then?

Pretty much, since kids today will have zero idea what a "Chief Newspaper editor" is but can vaguely comprehend "Big Media Boss."

Also, they're taking Bendis' Spiderman: Superhero Training School idea and running with it as the series premise.

This MAY actually explain a lot about Ultimate Spiderman's storyline in the past year or so.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is he going to start tapping Peter phone?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

bobkatt013 posted:

Is he going to start tapping Peter phone?

This would make perfect sense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mister Roboto posted:

This would make perfect sense.

Well his Uncle was killed and they want to get the news.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This series is completely separate from The Avenger's cartoon right?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

This series is completely separate from The Avenger's cartoon right?

Pretty certain the entire point of killing Spectacular and launching Ultimate was so it could be in the same shared universe as Wolverine And the X-Men and Avengers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

Pretty certain the entire point of killing Spectacular and launching Ultimate was so it could be in the same shared universe as Wolverine And the X-Men and Avengers.

I wasn't even aware that Wolverine and The X-Men was in that universe too. I don't recall references in the Avengers to this? Or are they more on the X-men side (I've never seen that show.)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

I wasn't even aware that Wolverine and The X-Men was in that universe too. I don't recall references in the Avengers to this? Or are they more on the X-men side (I've never seen that show.)

Fury is still the same in EMH, down to the same voice actor. Wolverine appeared briefly, being called "James", in one of the Captain America focused episodes. Not sure if he had a speaking role or not.

But yeah, WatXM is confirmed as being in the same universe. Yost has said so in interviews.

I'm assuming that Ultimate Spider-Man is as well. However, I think the tone of USM is going to be significantly different than EMH, so I don't think there will be too much crossover.

EDIT: Looking over Nick Fury's wiki page, it seems like the Nick Fury used in USM animated series is going to be voiced by a different guy and look different. So maybe USM won't be in the same universe.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 30, 2012

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

USM won't be crossing over, the Luke Cage and Iron fist in it are teens with different character designs than the Adult versions shown in the EMH teasers. I think they're keeping them completely separate from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dacap posted:

USM won't be crossing over, the Luke Cage and Iron fist in it are teens with different character designs than the Adult versions shown in the EMH teasers. I think they're keeping them completely separate from each other.

Huge disappointment. I also just checked out the X-men wiki page and it isn't getting a second season either, so I guess the shared universe is dead outside of characters popping in during EMH episodes. :(

• Locked thread