Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Feeple posted:

Didn't mean to be a dick, just wanted to make sure it was all there.

This is a hilariously good deal on Trollbloods, BTW.
:)

I know. :) I bought the army with the intent of "starting small and building up," but my local LGS only plays on Wednesdays when I babysit my girlfriend's kid, and I just can not find the drat time to actually paint. And I'd rather make sure someone's USING my Trollbloods so they have a good home. Maybe I'm from the "painted models get better dice rolls" school of gaming, but models should be on the table, be it a gaming table or a painting table.

That said, I am SO looking forward to the IK RPG in a few months. I have no problems shutting up and giving Privateer Press my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Dorakyura posted:

Even so, having a background in Warhammer, particularly with Dark Elves and Dark Eldar of yesteryear, I'm trying to think of a nice secondary army to do in line with that. I've got a lot of interest in Legion, but don't like how beast heavy they are. I love the Nyss, especially from my brief stints with the old Iron Kingdoms stuff for D&D3.0, but their sculpts can be pretty bad. Other than that, I have an interest in Skorne and to a lesser extent Retribution. I don't suppose anyone can tell me how these compare with the same kind of "fragile but fierce" armies I was keen on in the past, as well as how they size up against Menoth?

Skorne are the opposite of fragile and fierce. They are very similar to Menoth being the only other faction with a ton of soul and sacrifice mechanics.

Legion is exactly what you are looking for though, fragile and hard hitting. Legion is usually beast heavy though, so if you don't like the look of some of the nyss just skip them and only get the units that you like.

Ret also does not really fit in with that archtype. Afaik they are not really all that fast compared to the "real" fast armies like legion, circle, and cryx.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Awesome collection for sale

I'm just getting into the game and am very interested in that force. I've sent you a pm.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Goddamnit, PaintVagrant. I'm trying to paint Molik Karn and all I can think of is you instead of the super-sweet king of the Cyclopes.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Im a cool thing to think about, but my threat range isnt 22" if you know what I mean

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Raiche posted:

A Ret 'battle box'. So.. Kaelyssa, plastic kit, Griffon and Chimera.

Are you wanting to get rid of it...?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

BAM THEY ARE SOLD.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 4, 2012

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Guys I haven't even started painting my Menoth yet stop posting poo poo I want to buy :mad:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Poop Delicatessen posted:

Guys I haven't even started painting my Menoth yet stop posting poo poo I want to buy :mad:

Seriously you guys are jerks. Thanks for all the storage solutions info earlier though.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

What do you guys think of my Legion of Everblight color scheme? I haven't done any shading or highlighting. I am just working towards the blue flesh, with German Field Grey, and German Grey as main colors of the armor.

I also added some colored trim to Severius.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Tanon posted:

Are you wanting to get rid of it...?

Oh, sure. I will find where I put all of that stuff if someone wants it. Let me make sure I know where everything is and I'll figure out what it's worth. Or trade or whatever.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

dexefiend posted:

What do you guys think of my Legion of Everblight color scheme? I haven't done any shading or highlighting. I am just working towards the blue flesh, with German Field Grey, and German Grey as main colors of the armor.

I also added some colored trim to Severius.

Uh, I loving love it.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Considering my Sevvy is sitting on my desk after a Simple Green bath, I'd say your Sevvy is looking pimp.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Excellent Serverus. I'm washing my crusader and revenger again as I have two failed paint schemes. However the girlfriend surprised me with a boatload of paint today and Ive narrowed my color scheme down so I can finally finish these guys.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My wife and I are interested in trying out Hordes and I just wanted to confirm that buying the Skorne warpack and Trollblood warpack are all we need to get started.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

InternetJunky posted:

My wife and I are interested in trying out Hordes and I just wanted to confirm that buying the Skorne warpack and Trollblood warpack are all we need to get started.

Yup, that's all you need to play the game, besides a few accessories. Grab a few dice and a tape measure, plus some card sleeves and a dry-erase marker for marking damage on the stat cards.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Xombie posted:

Yup, that's all you need to play the game, besides a few accessories. Grab a few dice and a tape measure, plus some card sleeves and a dry-erase marker for marking damage on the stat cards.

On that note, you might want some glue to assemble your models with too :v:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Xombie posted:

Grab a few dice
6-sided I assume? Assuming I can find the packs locally I'll probably be playing tonight :)

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Yup 6 sided are all you need. Some tokens are also handy, but you can do that with bits of paper or beads or whatever you have lying around. You can also just keep track of the damage grids on notepaper if need be.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe this is overly obvious, but you will also need the rules in order to play. If you do not have a copy of Primal, you can download the Quickstart Rules from PP free. They don't have everything, but its enough to get you rolling and decide if you want to play the game.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Dont worry about painting or scenery. Many of my local players have unpainted armies. You can do all the fancy stuff like doing the base in sand or magnetising the arms of some units once you find out if you really like the game.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Ashcans posted:

Maybe this is overly obvious, but you will also need the rules in order to play. If you do not have a copy of Primal, you can download the Quickstart Rules from PP free. They don't have everything, but its enough to get you rolling and decide if you want to play the game.

The warpacks come with a copy of the QuickStart rules. And yes, you use six-sided dice. You probably need five or six per person.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Tanon posted:

The warpacks come with a copy of the QuickStart rules. And yes, you use six-sided dice. You probably need five or six per person.

While true, many of the Hordes starters out there are likely not including the Mark II ruleset. InternetJunky, I'd say downloading form the site to make sure.

Also, if you want, go to the Privateer Press boards, and see if there is a Press Ganger near you. These folks are there to help you and your wife learn the game and get pumped about this! I give demos frequently, and I think that having an arbitrator there for the first few times could be helpful. :)

Welcome!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Feeple posted:

While true, many of the Hordes starters out there are likely not including the Mark II ruleset. InternetJunky, I'd say downloading form the site to make sure.

Also, if you want, go to the Privateer Press boards, and see if there is a Press Ganger near you. These folks are there to help you and your wife learn the game and get pumped about this! I give demos frequently, and I think that having an arbitrator there for the first few times could be helpful. :)

Welcome!

This is true, especially since Hordes is a bit more complicated than Warmachine. Learning when and what you can measure is also a thing that a Press Ganger can help with.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Raiche posted:

Oh, sure. I will find where I put all of that stuff if someone wants it. Let me make sure I know where everything is and I'll figure out what it's worth. Or trade or whatever.

Not to step on Tanon's toes, but I'm interested in those 'jacks.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Found a store that sells Hordes. This feels like an expensive journey I've started...

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

InternetJunky posted:

Found a store that sells Hordes. This feels like an expensive journey I've started...

Totally worth it, though. Skorne is particularly awesome, but I'm probably biased...

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Trollblood supremacy.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

It does have a high start up cost, but thats largely due to all the material you have to buy. Paints, brushes, and the models add up really quickly.

Then you realize that the paint you have will last you for a very long time and unless you melt or smash your models they will stick with you forever.

I dont regret this hobby at all. Its forced my off the computer, and my girlfriend and I are spending some great time together. She is teaching me a lot about coloring and painting in general.

totally worth it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Excelsiortothemax posted:

It does have a high start up cost, but thats largely due to all the material you have to buy. Paints, brushes, and the models add up really quickly.

Then you realize that the paint you have will last you for a very long time and unless you melt or smash your models they will stick with you forever.

I dont regret this hobby at all. Its forced my off the computer, and my girlfriend and I are spending some great time together. She is teaching me a lot about coloring and painting in general.

totally worth it.
Problem for me is that I already have hundreds of unpainted miniatures from the last 25 years, along with hundreds of paints and accessories. I've never played a miniature game before though and this seems like a great way to start.

Out of curiosity, how important is it to follow the paint schemes for each faction? Am I going to get kicked out of a store if I bring in an army of blue Skorne or pink Trollbloods?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

Problem for me is that I already have hundreds of unpainted miniatures from the last 25 years, along with hundreds of paints and accessories. I've never played a miniature game before though and this seems like a great way to start.

Out of curiosity, how important is it to follow the paint schemes for each faction? Am I going to get kicked out of a store if I bring in an army of blue Skorne or pink Trollbloods?

My buddy who plays Cygnar has a purple and gold color scheme going. I still play with a mix of unpainted and primed models... No one cares at our store.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

InternetJunky posted:

I believe Privateer Press has released products that display alternate paint schemes, if your scheme is intentionally obnoxious, you will most likely get some laughs and some groans. Otherwise you should be in the clear.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

InternetJunky posted:

Painting any color you want is one of the best parts of playing Warmachine/Hordes. Since each model is specific and can only be one thing, paint schemes don't play into it.

And my Skorne are blue, btw. They look pimp. Skorne takes to alternate paint schemes really well. So do Trolls.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

One of our Cryx players is rocking a bright pink color scheme. Unless your going to play with horrible poop socking manchildren you should be just fine.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hey dexefiend, do you have a basic breakdown of how you did that white / tan on Sev? I stripped my menoth to paint them more in line with the studio scheme and I'm finding that painting Menoth sucks.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

One of our Cryx players is rocking a bright pink color scheme. Unless your going to play with horrible poop socking manchildren you should be just fine.

Official PP Steamroller tournament rules do not even require the minis to be painted, nevertheless not painted the right colors. PP even had alternate color schemes in the MkI books. Anyone who gives you guff about not having minis painted "properly" needs to be smacked in the head with a sock full of old school metal warjacks. Pink cryx sound awesome, and if I started Khador all over I'd probably do them purple and white.

With that being said if you're buying pieces and looking to sell them piecemeal afterwards then painting them a studio scheme is probably a good idea since more people are likely to pay more to buy space luchadores painted the studio colors.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 29, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Assembling the deathjack :suicide:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Assembling the deathjack :suicide:

I'm about to start assembling Behemoth, ~27 pieces.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Enjoy making pins.

With regards to painting, the only tournaments that require painted armies are Hardcore events. With other events it's up to the TO, but if there's no requirement then it's perfectly fine to show up with some unpainted metal action.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive assembled both, Im not sure which one I think was harder. Both equally difficult. But rewarding, especially if you repose them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I hate being the bottom of the page with pics.

I am going to post an awesome cross subforum image!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 29, 2012

• Locked thread