Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

School Bully posted:

(BG talk - started playing Tutu, doing the usual restart-5-times routine, and every single time I think -this time- Gorion will win :( )

Why would you restart 5 times, the first part of baldur's gate is the worst part of the entire series and downright painful to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Speaking of Baldur's Gate, how painful is it to play a caster? I remember AD&D2 being absolutely brutal as a low-level caster.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Speaking of Baldur's Gate, how painful is it to play a caster? I remember AD&D2 being absolutely brutal as a low-level caster.

It is absolutely brutal as a low level caster.

The cheese makers will tell you the way to do a caster in the BG saga is to start with a Human Kensei (fighter) (you will need TuTu or whatever other mod it was that allowed kits in the BG1), and later switch over to magic user. When to do that depends on who you ask, a lot of BG wikis and FAQs will explain it better than I could trying to remember all the nuances.

Kensei are bad-rear end even at lower levels, and by the time you make the switch to caster you will have enough other high level party members to keep you alive and get you the first dozen or so levels pretty quickly.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Pope Guilty posted:

BG1 can be a little rough in the early sections if you're playing a single class caster solo but if you play with a party you'll be fine. a multiclass fighter/mage or fighter/mage/thief can absolutely wreck poo poo even by themselves in the early game though, just put everything to sleep and then kill them individually. You get stronger extremely quickly as well if you're soloing.

BG2 is another story, you can easily solo SoA and ToB as a wizard or sorcerer.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Someone just mentioned Dungeon Hack in the Legend of Grimrock thread so I went to check it out. God drat, a dungeon crawling single character D&D game with randomly generated dungeons? This is the type of game I wanted so badly that I've been seriously considering trying to make one myself for years now. I've heard of Dungeon Hack of course but it was just one of many games on a huge list of old RPGs I planned to look into at some point, so I wasn't aware of the randomly generated levels. And it's got a loving auto-map!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also, holy poo poo, the Betrayal at Krondor Help Web! That was literally the first website I ever went to, when I was in high school. A teacher got BAK and couldn't run it, and let me have it, and the library just got internet connections and computers, and I needed help... poo poo, I can't believe it's still online.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Kuros posted:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the Exile/Avernum series and the Geneforge series are quite good CRPGs as well. Spiderweb Software also made Nethergate and Avadon (Currently in the newest Humble Bundle!) which are solid CRPGs.

They are all worth a look.

Ah yes, I was waiting for this to be mentioned. Few games had more impact on me as a child in the late 90's.

Exile 1 and 2 are alright, but Exile 3 is the best of the entire lot.

The Avernum series is literally just a poor update and polish of the Exile series. It's best avoided, as it's clunky and less involving. Play the originals. Simply amazing, considering the lack of technology involved, even at the time.

As an example, in Exile 3, the world map evolves and changes based on your actions or inaction. Towns slowly die of disease and things are destroyed based on what choices you make.

Here's a cool walkthrough on playing without a party :

http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Exile_3

(Images my hosting)

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 28, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

School Bully posted:

As I remember it, the main plot of the game consists of exploring about 16 dungeons, alternatively containing directions to, and pieces of the broken Magic Staff. Each time I played I would get to about 5 pieces, sleep in an inn, and be shown a cutscene of being killed by an assassin, game over. I couldn't identify any clues to why this was happening or how I could prevent it.

This was 1995 and installed from a pile of well travelled, pirated floppies, so my best guess then was that it was some devious copy protection, but if anyone knows a proper reason, I'd love to hear.

Jagar Tharn repeatedly tries to assassinate you in that game, but I don't remember ever not being a given a chance to prevent it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Reading this thread is just making me all the more keen for my nearly 30-month-overdue Pandora. Having DOSBox on a handheld with a full keyboard will make playing so many of these epic titles (some of which I missed entirely back in the day, hello Pools of Darkness and Dark Queen of Krynn) on the train, in bed, on the plane, whatever, so awesome.

I've played M&M 3,4,5 basically to death but feel like more of the same. Just could never get into Swords of Xeen. It felt content-hollow in an already pretty plot/story-hollow (but mad fun) series. There are just too many old-school classics to go through - need more time to just play amazing old games and tick them off my imaginary list. And this is before we even touch on some of the old console RPGs I want to experience :ohdear:

Man, I love this thread. For no reason I feel compelled to write out a list of RPGs I absolutely loved:

Death Knights of Krynn
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Pool of Radiance
(albeit a little ruined by having played the above two before this)
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
Eye of the Beholder
(never put enough time into 2, and 3 was meh)
Might and Magic 3,4,5
Quest For Glory series
(yes they can fit in here don't argue rarrrrrr)
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
(best game ever, ever)
All the rest of the Infinity Engine stuff
every Fallout game except Tactics
(just didn't put the time in)

I'm sure more will come to me in time.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

andrew smash posted:

Why would you restart 5 times, the first part of baldur's gate is the worst part of the entire series and downright painful to play

Well just twice this run, getting to Nashkel with the canon party and realising how boring they are. Just won with Tiax and the rest of the comedy/evil crew; good to see that Minsc is still dead, and missing from his cage at the start of 2.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

ACEofsnett posted:

Ah yes, I was waiting for this to be mentioned. Few games had more impact on me as a child in the late 90's.

Exile 1 and 2 are alright, but Exile 3 is the best of the entire lot.

The Avernum series is literally just a poor update and polish of the Exile series. It's best avoided, as it's clunky and less involving. Play the originals. Simply amazing, considering the lack of technology involved, even at the time.

As an example, in Exile 3, the world map evolves and changes based on your actions or inaction. Towns slowly die of disease and things are destroyed based on what choices you make.

Here's a cool walkthrough on playing without a party :

http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Exile_3

(Images my hosting)

Having played both, I always liked Avernum better than Exile, but to each their own.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

ACEofsnett posted:

Those character/enemy graphics look a hell of a lot like what I remember from Gold Box games...

Interface looks seriously clunky/busy - intimidating by today's standards, but probably woulda been just fine in the 90's...

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 28, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

toadee posted:

The proper soundtrack is the unmistakable whirring of an Apple II floppy drive loading your next encounter.

You mean 'your 1541 disk drive banging the drive head off the stop trying to find track 0.'

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So who here played Siege of Avalon?

I remember really enjoy the level of detail the game had to the story. Basically, you were a guy who got stuck behind the walls of a castle (Avalon) as it was being besieged by some army. They couldn't get through normally, but your job is to stop them from applying all sorts of devious methods, whether it's tunnelling under the castle, casting a spell to create a massive earthquake to devastate the castle, or what have you. An isometric RPG with a surprising amount of detail in the armor you could equip (which also showed on your character), I remember having a lot of fun with it. Never did beat it though, maybe I'll check out if it's abandonware.

Also nice is how, if you failed, you'd get a summary of what happened due to your failure. For example, if you die in the first mission, you're presented with this.

I remember a magic build being really crappy though, as you had to constantly wait for your mana to recharge.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I really liked Siege of Avalon. I was actually going to play it a few days ago but realized I lost my CD :(

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

BadAstronaut posted:

Quest For Glory series (yes they can fit in here don't argue rarrrrrr)

I did a Let's Play of the entire Quest for Glory series on SA about three years ago (it's what produced the :qfg: smilie) - if anyone's interested it's still all on YouTube (complete with the video annotations I did):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF5B8EAEE0742C714

I never did finish off any of my other LPs on my channel (Loom on the FMTowns or Under a Killing Moon) because my old computer died and I lost most of the videos. Maybe I should get back to that someday.

Edit: Jesus my videos have more than 330,000 views. WTF.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

AlmightyBob posted:

Found it at a goodwill maybe 7 years ago
That is a pretty sweet Goodwill find. Are you sure your Goodwill is not actually an Electronics Boutique from 1995 buried in the sands of time?

Doc Hawkins posted:

Thread title?
Hahahaha :(

Genpei Turtle posted:

True enough. Interesting factoid that you may or may not know--some of the BT music is actually remixed pieces of classical composers.
I am starting to wonder if any musicians in the entire history of gaming have ever written original music. No, but it is amazing just how much game music is blatantly derivative of previous work (often popular work, at that).

My own contribution to the history of figuring out what game music was from what unacknowledged source is in telling anyone who will listen that the "Seven Cities of Gold" opening track was an early-1500s madrigal by Mateo Flecha called "La Bomba" (which at least makes the song roughly-game-era appropriate!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmkwC92rTxI&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYcFcxsYiZM&t=48s
(I used this clip both because it has awesome sweater vests and because the album with this recording on it came out the year before Seven Cities of Gold, suggesting it was possibly where the musician first heard it)

zedar posted:

I decided I had to do this right so went and bought myself some graph paper today. Going to get my old school game on tonight, however much my boyfriend may laugh at me for playing crappy old games. I know deep down inside that what I'm doing is cool.
Yessssss!

School Bully posted:

Well just twice this run, getting to Nashkel with the canon party and realising how boring they are. Just won with Tiax and the rest of the comedy/evil crew; good to see that Minsc is still dead, and missing from his cage at the start of 2.
Aww, you did him a favor! :3: Now, his opening dialogue would instead be from the afterlife! "Dynaheir?! Yaaaaaaay!"

Still though, I remember being so annoyed that Khalid and Jaheira had any place in the second game, given that they are both incredibly insipid and aggravating at the same time. Everyone knows Ajantis and Yeslick are way more enjoyable to have around!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Quarex posted:

That is a pretty sweet Goodwill find. Are you sure your Goodwill is not actually an Electronics Boutique from 1995 buried in the sands of time?

I found a sealed copy of the Ultima Collection in Goodwill for $1.99 years ago.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Morpheus posted:

So who here played Siege of Avalon?

I remember really enjoy the level of detail the game had to the story. Basically, you were a guy who got stuck behind the walls of a castle (Avalon) as it was being besieged by some army. They couldn't get through normally, but your job is to stop them from applying all sorts of devious methods, whether it's tunnelling under the castle, casting a spell to create a massive earthquake to devastate the castle, or what have you. An isometric RPG with a surprising amount of detail in the armor you could equip (which also showed on your character), I remember having a lot of fun with it. Never did beat it though, maybe I'll check out if it's abandonware.

Also nice is how, if you failed, you'd get a summary of what happened due to your failure. For example, if you die in the first mission, you're presented with this.
Oh yeah I remember having a lot of fun with that game though the first two chapters kinda drug on the last 4 were pretty awesome, especially chapter 4 which had you infiltrating the enemy camp. And yeah the journal entries, especially the ones you got for failing were pretty cool.

quote:

I remember a magic build being really crappy though, as you had to constantly wait for your mana to recharge.
The magic build was actually horrendously broken the only thing that even challenged it was investing heavily in stealth and sniping dudes with a bow but takes awhile to pay off

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Adam Bowen posted:

Someone just mentioned Dungeon Hack in the Legend of Grimrock thread so I went to check it out. God drat, a dungeon crawling single character D&D game with randomly generated dungeons? This is the type of game I wanted so badly that I've been seriously considering trying to make one myself for years now. I've heard of Dungeon Hack of course but it was just one of many games on a huge list of old RPGs I planned to look into at some point, so I wasn't aware of the randomly generated levels. And it's got a loving auto-map!

I wanted something with randomly generated dungeons (and loot, and maybe skill trees..) so I've been fooling around with Unity and trying to put something together. You can join me if you want :v:

I don't think I've seen Demise: Ascension mentioned in here. The website can explain it a lot better then I can

http://www.decklinsdemise.com/features.php posted:

Demise - Rise of the Ku'Tan is a Huge, Non-linear Fantasy Role Playing game (dungeon crawl/hack type) that features 3D graphics, great sound, and fantastic play in single and/or multiplayer modes, and enough races, guilds, items, monsters, magic, spells, traps, environments, dungeon and story line to keep avid FRPers playing for hundreds of hours

It is pretty hands off I would say. You equip your dude (and up to 3 other people in single player) and walk around the dungeon. When you encounter a hostile enemy you automatically attack. Here's a youtube I made awhile ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTlPsaXOiJQ

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Boldor posted:

MM6-MM8 use a grid inventory system, not a weight limit system.

Now, this unimportant thing will bug me all day... I remember that this was going on in a game where you've moved in 3D, and items could be put outside the container (when you open the container it shows up as a box, but you could drag the item to it, and if it was too long you could end up with it inside the box, but outside the view, if that makes sense). I definitely know that Anvil of Dawn had weightless items in boxes, but there was one game more. Oh well.

Danith posted:

I wanted something with randomly generated dungeons (and loot, and maybe skill trees..) so I've been fooling around with Unity and trying to put something together. You can join me if you want :v:

For Dungeon Hack - my favourite class was Mage/Cleric (I don't remember if you can play Fighter/Mage/Cleric). For a loooooong time Spiritual Hammer is your pick and you can dual wield it - weapon deals massive amounts of damage, and you can safely kill anything with it, kiting away, until levels 1x, where Feyrs appear, or Slithermorphs (still killable, but not 1hit killable). Most of low-level mage spells suck, but later on you get the all time favourite Fireball, Ice Storm and Mordenkainer's Sword. Actually, the last one and cleric prayers make you an unstoppable killing machine. Bear in mind though, that if you pick max size setting (25 levels, max monsters, max size) you'll reach dual class experience limit cap at level ~18.

As for Demise - I was waiting for this game for so long, but sadly lack of funding made the authors to abandon most of the project. Actually I preferred Mordor - Depths of Dejenol more and couldn't find myself going through all of the 25 levels again, even though they've added lots of lore and made the classes / races more balanced (+ added some items from the look of it). It's still a very nice game, with interesting mechanics (aging, guild ownership, identifying / charming / selling monsters, water levels, getting stuck in a rock after wrong teleportation).

My favourite RPG to this day stays already mentioned Quest for Glory series though. It's a real shame they didn't VGAlize part 2, as due to that I've skipped it (can you skip it? I definitely played QFG4 as paladin at least once, so I had to import it and I don't remember the quest for becoming a paladin in part 3). Absolute highlight in the series is part 4 - Shadows of Darkness. Seriously, this game will never get old - to this day I can come back to it and discover things that I've missed (well, that's not true :P but after playing it over 5/6 times I found out at one moment that I could get a new spell, getting rohypnoled by the elves). The whole slavonic fables: rusalka, domovoi, trolls, vampires, leshy; additionally :cthulhu:. After that QFG5 and Silmaria is a little meh.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

eithedog posted:

My favourite RPG to this day stays already mentioned Quest for Glory series though. It's a real shame they didn't VGAlize part 2, as due to that I've skipped it

There's a full VGA fan remake of II. Don't skip it, it's a good one. The remake also smooths out some stuff like navigating the streets.

Ugh, now I need to schedule a QFG replay. I haven't done that in ages.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/homepage/homepage.html

:smug: \/\/\/

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 28, 2012

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

eithedog posted:

It's a real shame they didn't VGAlize part 2, as due to that I've skipped it (can you skip it? I definitely played QFG4 as paladin at least once, so I had to import it and I don't remember the quest for becoming a paladin in part 3).

ADG Interactive did a Quest for Glory II "fan VGA-ization" project that's actually incredibly loving awesome. They had Lori Anne and Corey Cole's blessing, added a mini-game that was cut from the original release due to disk space constraints, and generally did a stunning job all around.

There's a few stupid easter eggs in there (pizza elemental) but as a fan project it's the best you could possibly hope for.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

E: FB /\/\/\ :argh:

E2: came out in 2008 or so? I remember finding the one internet connection in whatever town I was vacationing in at the time and downloading it over the course of several hours.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 28, 2012

canis minor
May 4, 2011

:aaa: when did that come out? I've seen that they were remaking part 2, but it wasn't finished the last time I've checked. Thanks!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Danith posted:

I don't think I've seen Demise: Ascension mentioned in here. The website can explain it a lot better then I can

It is pretty hands off I would say. You equip your dude (and up to 3 other people in single player) and walk around the dungeon. When you encounter a hostile enemy you automatically attack. Here's a youtube I made awhile ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTlPsaXOiJQ

Oh man, I remember playing several versions of that (Mordor, Mordor II, Infinite Worlds, etc, etc) over the years.

According to that site, they expect to release a large, new expansion for Demise in Q2 of this year. :psyduck:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

eithedog posted:

:aaa: when did that come out?

Almost four years ago, actually.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I keep secretly hoping they'll do a VGA demake of QG5 but I asked the dev team at the time and they said something along the lines of "absolutely loving not."

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Does anyone know if any of the games mentioned in this thread have been ported to the iPad? I'm thinking about checking out a couple (there's been so many mentioned in this thread, I don't know where to start) and playing them on a tablet would be ideal.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Ook, that's weird then - on the other hand I don't pay as much attention to gaming as I did, so no wonder this passed me by (god, that sentence made me feel old)

Peas and Rice posted:

I keep secretly hoping they'll do a VGA demake of QG5 but I asked the dev team at the time and they said something along the lines of "absolutely loving not."

The graphics weren't that bad - though I truly prefer drawn landscape / bitmaps over anything that was generated by computer back then. It still makes me wonder what people were thinking when releasing some particular titles (a definite example, an adventure game - Gabriel Knight 1 vs 3). Icewind Dale had beautiful sceneries, profile screens, art in general - why would Bioware not continue this approach, but release the horribleness that was Neverwinter Nights, ugh. (and why wouldn't they hire good writers for that matter as well)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

eithedog posted:

Ook, that's weird then - on the other hand I don't pay as much attention to gaming as I did, so no wonder this passed me by (god, that sentence made me feel old)

The graphics weren't that bad - though I truly prefer drawn landscape / bitmaps over anything that was generated by computer back then. It still makes me wonder what people were thinking when releasing some particular titles (a definite example, an adventure game - Gabriel Knight 1 vs 3). Icewind Dale had beautiful sceneries, profile screens, art in general - why would Bioware not continue this approach, but release the horribleness that was Neverwinter Nights, ugh. (and why wouldn't they hire good writers for that matter as well)

It's not that I felt QG5's graphics were bad per se, but it didn't quite feel like a QfG game: it felt like more of a Diablo semi-clone rammed into QfG's clothing. The thing is, I can see why they wouldn't want to demake it (it would be technically quite challenging and way harder than up-rezing painted scenery like they did in QG2).

The other part of me that wants a demake is the part that actually wants to run the drat game. It's a bitch to try and get to run - if you look at the last video in my playthrough, you actually have to pause the game during the final fight every time the dragon makes a sound because if you don't it will crash, and even then it still crashes randomly. It took me the better part of 2 days to get a version of that scene without a crash for the final video. It's really buggy to try to run on a modern machine, so a demake could potentially fix that.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Quarex posted:

I am starting to wonder if any musicians in the entire history of gaming have ever written original music. No, but it is amazing just how much game music is blatantly derivative of previous work (often popular work, at that).

Mark Morgan - Vats of Goo

Brian Eno - Alternative III

Finding out that your favorite video game soundtracks are straight up plagiarized versions of Koyanisqaatsi or whatever really kills the magic... but it's also fun trying to figure out who your favorite video game composers stole from, like trying to identify samples in hip hop instrumentals.

Aerial Tollhouse
Feb 17, 2011
Speaking of borrowed music, I knew I made the right decision buying darklands when I listened to the menu music and recognized it was The Armed Man(This is the Karl Jenkins version, apparently it's based on a song in Old French).

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Siege of Avalon is a fantastic game and I think this thread is the first time I've ever seen anyone else mention it. A few times I've even forgotten it existed and spent a while wondering if I'd just imagined playing it.

My favorite thing about it? Check this out:

Look at all those equipment slots! Separate slots for your chest plate, greaves, and pauldrons. Slots for your clothes underneath that. A tabbard slot.

Also yes, magic was pretty ridiculous, and infiltrating the enemy camp was awesome.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Armor-Piercing posted:

Siege of Avalon is a fantastic game and I think this thread is the first time I've ever seen anyone else mention it.
I only played the first episode, after that I never heard anything about further releases. I always thought the company must have folded before releasing any more of it. Now I have to track down a copy, looks like it is still up on Amazon.

I'm curious if anyone has any impressions about Kult: Heretic Kingdoms/Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition? I was impressed with the demo back when it was released, and I bought a copy of the game, but it is something I never got around to playing.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

From Wikipedia

It was originally planned that a sequel would be created which would be titled "Pillars of Avalon." Digital Tome intentionally left the ending of Siege of Avalon with many unanswered questions which would be answered in the sequel. Additionally in the CD version of the Siege of Avalon, the closing movie includes a book titled "Siege of Avalon" which is placed on a shelf next to a similar book titled "Pillars of Avalon."

Because of problems with their publishers, Digital Tome eventually disbanded and shut down the Siege of Avalon website. Pillars of Avalon would therefore never be created. However, a group was given permission to modify the first chapter of Siege of Avalon to run other platforms and to distribute it as open source. Currently, nothing has been released and the source code of the game is only available on Source Forge in the project's CVS repository. While there are very few CVS check-ins, the project administrator ( Dominique Louis ) assures that progress is still being made, "but Real Life keeps getting in the way of this project."[2]

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

I'm curious if anyone has any impressions about Kult: Heretic Kingdoms/Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition? I was impressed with the demo back when it was released, and I bought a copy of the game, but it is something I never got around to playing.

I got it in a bargain bin and played it through a few times and my impression of it was that it was very nondescript. It wasn't bad but it wasn't particularly good either. I remember mostly grinding abilities from equipment and phasing in and out of the spirit world or whatever. It seemed sort of like a very low-budget wannabe-Diablo in a lot of ways. The story wasn't really memorable either--something about a dead tyrant god that used to rule the world and being an Inquisitor trying to stamp out remnants of the old religion to make sure it never comes back or something. Kind of formulaic.

But it was good enough that I played it through more than once so it couldn't have been all that bad.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I love old RPGs.

Playing Might and Magic 3, cruising along, exploring a pyramid. Touching crystals that don't seem to do anything. Keep on trucking, eventually save over my game.

Few minutes later check my stats and note my party is now full of 120 year olds. :stare: :corsair:

Non-magical aging too, so I can't fountain of youth it!

If it wasn't so comical I'd be pissed, and all the trainers I've found won't work on Windows Vista. All I can do is roll with the punches here.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Genpei Turtle posted:

True enough. Interesting factoid that you may or may not know--some of the BT music is actually remixed pieces of classical composers. I learned much later that my favorite bard song from BT1 was in fact Saint-Saens' "Danse Macabre." Though the music in BT1 may have been great, I like it better on real instruments. :)

The music played in Bard's Tale is system-dependent. I think that's the case for all three games, actually. Which system did you play on? I actually played Danse Macabre in an orchestra and it certainly doesn't sound like anything from Bard's Tale to me.

AlmightyBob posted:

Need to hurry up and get my conjurer to level 3 so he can heal, doing it at the temple is so loving expensive.

(this is still Bard's Tale)
That's in practice more expensive, actually, since spell points take forever to recharge in the early game and paying to recharge them isn't cheap either. Thus that healing spell is only useful in an emergency. This is one of those games where there isn't really much to spend gold on, anyway.

Zedar posted:

Started playing Might and Magic 1 last night after buying the first six games from GOG on the weekend after reading this thread. After getting thoroughly lost just in the starting town, I decided I had to do this right so went and bought myself some graph paper today. Going to get my old school game on tonight, however much my boyfriend may laugh at me for playing crappy old games. I know deep down inside that what I'm doing is cool.

In case you're wondering, this is one of those cases where you actually DO want to make a party with one of every class. It's slightly better if you make your paladin and cleric either both good or both evil. Also, your cleric should be female.

If you plan to transfer to Might and Magic 2, make sure your fighting-types are about evenly split between male and female, maybe with a slight preference for female. I'd personally just start from scratch in MM2, as your party is actually worse in the long run unless you specifically minmax the transfer routine.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Boldor posted:

In case you're wondering, this is one of those cases where you actually DO want to make a party with one of every class. It's slightly better if you make your paladin and cleric either both good or both evil. Also, your cleric should be female.

If you plan to transfer to Might and Magic 2, make sure your fighting-types are about evenly split between male and female, maybe with a slight preference for female. I'd personally just start from scratch in MM2, as your party is actually worse in the long run unless you specifically minmax the transfer routine.

Thanks for the tips. I was running two clerics (one good/female and one evil/male) and no robber on the theory that you can never have too much healing. This is feeling like overkill from my limited experience (only a dozen or so fights) so I might switch out one in favour of a robber if this is the recommended path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Armor-Piercing posted:

Siege of Avalon is a fantastic game and I think this thread is the first time I've ever seen anyone else mention it. A few times I've even forgotten it existed and spent a while wondering if I'd just imagined playing it.
Yeah it seems like it was a largely overlooked game, it was pretty much luck that I ever bought it. I was walking through best buy or some store and passed by a bargain bin and then somehow convinced my mom to buy it for me. I was always disappointed they never managed to make the sequel.

I really liked how despite the fact most of game takes place in and around this one castle that they actually worked at fleshing out the world the game takes place in, even going so far as to explain the culture of the enemy that youre fighting and the characteristics of the different countries.

quote:

My favorite thing about it? Check this out:

Look at all those equipment slots! Separate slots for your chest plate, greaves, and pauldrons. Slots for your clothes underneath that. A tabbard slot.

Also yes, magic was pretty ridiculous, and infiltrating the enemy camp was awesome.
And hell if you really wanted you could charge into battle wearing three pairs of shirts and two pairs of pants.

The cool thing about the infiltration mission is that going in you think its going to be some godawful stealth section but really you will be masquerading as a member of the enemy army, of course you still have to watch out for guard dogs and magicians which can sense you dont belong there.