Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Shiba Inu puppies stealing a camera bag. Same dogs as in the Shiba mom exercise video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

This is Bebe

She's a rescue dog we got last year, and we think she's a Chow/Shiba Inu mix. Check out the purple tongue:

She sure acts like a primitive breed, because she's got the same primitive breed personality traits as have been described in this thread. Stubborness, aloofness, etc. She's a great guard dog, and is super friendly with people and other dogs, but she's not without her problems. For one, if she's off the leash, she's gone until she decides it's time to come back. Since our city opened a dog park, I'm planning on doing a little recall training since we have an open yet enclosed area now.

Also, she doesn't like to get her feet wet. I know this is usually reserved for puppies and Pugs, but she's crazy about it. Right now, there's a little dew on the ground, and she's been outside on the porch for about 30 minutes, staring at the door, refusing to pee. It's driving me crazy. Last time I encouraged her out into the yard, she hopped into our raised vegetable garden and tried to dig for dry ground. So I fussed at her, and I think now she's even more reluctant to go out.

I mean, I've stood outside with her on a leash in the rain for an hour, and she still refuses to go to the bathroom. She'd rather sulk and get cold and wet.

I'm going to try treats this morning, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Does anyone here have experience with Taiwan dogs? They're advertised pretty hard on the west coast, you adopt them from overseas and they ship them to you. The problem (like I said in the little questions thread) is that they want you to adopt one really badly so I can't find anything bad anyone has to say about them and I want to get a better idea of what they're like. Questions thread said they're more primitive than I thought they were. I like primitive fine but I was led to believe they were easier to train and more eager to please than say, a shiba inu?

It was all just marketing wasn't it ...

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I think someone on here adopted one before, but I can't remember where the discussion was.

I think they're really just general muttkins, tbh, so they would be theoretically easier than a primitive breed. Let me see if I can't find that story, though I'm certain you'll need archives if it's not in the random nonsense thread...

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

paisleyfox posted:

I think someone on here adopted one before, but I can't remember where the discussion was.

I think they're really just general muttkins, tbh, so they would be theoretically easier than a primitive breed. Let me see if I can't find that story, though I'm certain you'll need archives if it's not in the random nonsense thread...

yeah, no archives, sorry. I got the impression that, having been drug up off the street they're just so drat happy to be warm and fed that they're a lot more tractable.

The pictures look so sad ...:ohdear:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

fuzzy_logic posted:

Does anyone here have experience with Taiwan dogs? They're advertised pretty hard on the west coast, you adopt them from overseas and they ship them to you. The problem (like I said in the little questions thread) is that they want you to adopt one really badly so I can't find anything bad anyone has to say about them and I want to get a better idea of what they're like. Questions thread said they're more primitive than I thought they were. I like primitive fine but I was led to believe they were easier to train and more eager to please than say, a shiba inu?

It was all just marketing wasn't it ...

My friends got one and she's such a freakin' sweetheart. She loves everything basically, I've never seen any signs at all of dog or human aggression in her. She doesn't act like a primitive at all. She looks like a mutted up German Shepherd but acts more like a Golden Retriever, just completely carefree and happy all the time. My dog gets annoyed by her because she's always trying to lick inside of his mouth.

In terms of training I think she's really easy to train, because they're not dog experts by any means and don't do any clicker training at all, but she knows a ton of tricks.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I mean, I've stood outside with her on a leash in the rain for an hour, and she still refuses to go to the bathroom. She'd rather sulk and get cold and wet.

I'm going to try treats this morning, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.

This kind of thing is SO annoying. It seems like the smarter the dog, the more likely it is to come up with weird aversions. Since they have such a good memory, they connect dots together (even if two things aren't related) and they get that stuck in their heads.

Haven't worked on training this sorta thing outta my own dog, but if it were me, I'd start almost at square one and start reinforcing good bathroom behavior ALL the time, not just when her dainty little paws are going to get wet. Does she go pretty quick when it's nice out? You'll want to go out with her EVERY time she goes, and bring a really great treat. Wait for her to finish doing what she's doing (you don't want to interrupt her and have her stop) then immediately treat and praise when she's done. If you clicker train, that's even better, because the reward marker will be timed even better. Once she starts to understand that bathroom=treat, work on adding a command cue, like "pee", "poop", "potty", "bathroom", "hurry", etc. Anything you think will work well for you and has a distinct sound that's different from her other commands. Say the word right as she's finished so she starts to make the connection.

The idea is that eventually not only will she know a reward is on the way, but you can develop a command to make her hurry. That way, at least if she's still reluctant on crappy days, you can give her the command and she knows what you want from her. She might be more inclined to go to the bathroom if she knows that's what will get her out of the rain!

-------------------------

In other news, I have pictures to post of Buddy one of these days. :3: My husband took a bunch when he was taking pictures of the baby a few weeks ago. Gotta actually find time to post them, though. Also, I've been MIA because I got logged out of SA on my iPad, and I don't remember my password. I've reset it like a BILLION times, so now I'm stubborn and not doing it. :argh: So I never ever get on the actual computer anymore. Soooo.... yeah. Have NO idea when those pictures are coming. But they exist!

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 17, 2012

LunacySystem
Aug 11, 2007
ffffffffffffffffff
SO, I just adopted a 5 month old female Korean Jindo (mix?) from the shelter today. How soon untill I start regretting it?

(Sorry for the crappy Petfinder photo, I'm way too tired to take any photos atm.)

Seriously though, she is the calmest sweetest puppy I've ever met. I was not expecting to adopt a puppy or a primitive breed, but she won me and my family over. I knew (and still know) little about Jindos, so I kinda know what to expect, but if anyone knows lots about them, I'd love to hear more. She also needs a new name cause I don't think it really fits her and she doesn't respond to it anyways.

More photos tomorrow (If I don't die of cuteness).

LunacySystem
Aug 11, 2007
ffffffffffffffffff

LunacySystem posted:

Puppy
Well gently caress.

She killed Peachy, our lovebird, right in front of me this morning. I feel so terrible. I know its not her fault, or mine, but of course I feel bad both ways. I'm having doubts about being able to care for her, but again it was all so sudden and overwhelming so I can't think straight. It's all gonna haunt me for a long time. I hope I can get over it quickly. I should have known since they're a hunting breed. :(

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

paisleyfox posted:

I just love Pat Doescher's dogs so much, she's got the best B&Ts.

Which one are you getting? :3:

So I know which one I'll be picking up this weekend. Supposedly he was Pat's pick of the litter, but doesn't have full dentition and thus will not become a future Sire for her. She said he reminds her of one of her all time favorite dogs (his great grandfather) and she wants to keep him close so she can see how he develops. I can't help but feel that I am not worthy. :worship:

Here are all the pictures I have of him (so far):

Porterhaus fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 19, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Holy loving poo poo that is a cute rear end puppy

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
He already looks like an rear end in a top hat. The cutest little rear end in a top hat puppy :3:

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

LunacySystem posted:

Well gently caress.

She killed Peachy, our lovebird, right in front of me this morning. I feel so terrible. I know its not her fault, or mine, but of course I feel bad both ways. I'm having doubts about being able to care for her, but again it was all so sudden and overwhelming so I can't think straight. It's all gonna haunt me for a long time. I hope I can get over it quickly. I should have known since they're a hunting breed. :(

I've lost a bird in an accident before and it was really hard. :( I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

rivals posted:

He already looks like an rear end in a top hat. The cutest little rear end in a top hat puppy :3:

Agreed. Don't let his built-in tuxedo fool you. He'll be getting into some pup trouble soon enough...

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I would absolutely love to get a Malamute but there are certain aspects in my life right now that will not allow it; time, money, fenced in backyard with no gate, and lack of knowledge for training a pup.

I'm also wondering if any of you could recommend some books on Malamutes. I've taken a look at Malamute books on Amazon however the reviews on their are few and are not helpful at all.

:ninja: I've been reading the Training thread for a few days and am also reading the puppy thread.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

We took Bebe to the dog park, and she kept gravitating toward these two dogs that looked like primitive breeds. I think my dog is racist, she prefers the company of dogs that look like her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9hTkrFFNUk&context=C4c641a6ADvjVQa1PpcFPr7AdsRihM2_8C5Wz5SE_tdNFYZbGfISc=

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

LunacySystem posted:

Well gently caress.

:( I'm really sorry about this. Have things gotten any better?

Tenderloin posted:

So I know which one I'll be picking up this weekend.

EEE! I am living vicariously through you. :3: I can't wait to see more crazy pictures and videos, lest your puppy explodes from pent up cute.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

We took Bebe to the dog park, and she kept gravitating toward these two dogs that looked like primitive breeds. I think my dog is racist, she prefers the company of dogs that look like her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9hTkrFFNUk&context=C4c641a6ADvjVQa1PpcFPr7AdsRihM2_8C5Wz5SE_tdNFYZbGfISc=

They're totes racists. Koji always goes straight for prims. If there are other Shibas at the park, it becomes a private Shiba Party. (I think I read somewhere that they prefer the look of dogs similar to them since they can read their body language better?)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Kaidan has always done so as well. The only dogs he ever showed any interest in at the park (when we'd go long ago) were other Huskies. There was one in particular that he would follow around the park no matter what she did it was god damned adorable :3:

LunacySystem
Aug 11, 2007
ffffffffffffffffff

paisleyfox posted:

:( I'm really sorry about this. Have things gotten any better?

Things are getting a little bit better. I'm trying to bond and forgive her, but, I'm still shaken up and unsure if I can deal with everything. I've named her Ginger, since she's gingery coloured and it's easy enough to say. She's very sweet and cute, so we'll see how I feel as time passes. Hopefully my mental scars aren't too much and I can get over it. I`ll see how I feel later and might take some photos.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-ndybbKfk

Just a short video of Elsa being Elsa... "Want to play? gently caress you!"

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Thread needs more Shiba videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsHg6YHu26I&hd=1

trainedbyshibas
Nov 2, 2011

nolen posted:

Thread needs more Shiba videos:

More Shiba videos you say? I'll be happy to oblige. FYI you might not want to have your sound up too high. All cell phone video, sorry if they're bad.

My two in action (Jiro = red sesame, Yuki = cream)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RncBNtFmDV0&hd=1

My Jiro being very unshiba like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5B3NlTrmdo&hd=1

My Yuki (smaller cream) and his friend Kuma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHbBeR9OSlU&hd=1

Yuki getting vocal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc3sDN6k7Jw&hd=1

Former foster (cream) meeting his new family
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG2uFPR4rrk&hd=1

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Here, have some Buddy & Nolan:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

oh my god those photos are amazing! i love the one where the baby and dog are both looking at the camera like "uhhhh????" :3:

LunacySystem
Aug 11, 2007
ffffffffffffffffff
Well, we decided to bring Ginger back to the shelter today.

As she was settling in it became obvious that she needed someone with a yard, primitive breed experience & more dog experience in general. She started becoming VERY bouncy and hyper outside on walks, to the point I was worried that she would escape her collar and bolt off. She would also switch into a super intense focus on whatever movement/cars/dogs/birds/etc. was around and would have to be dragged away because she wouldn't even take amazing treats when she had them waved in her face. She's definitely too much dog for me as someone whose only had one dog before her and even my dad who has had a little more experience(not much more but still).

I feel pretty lovely about it, but I know she just wasn't right for us. With her being only 5 months and cute, I'm sure she'll find someone more suited for her.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

LunacySystem posted:

As she was settling in it became obvious that she needed someone with a yard, primitive breed experience & more dog experience in general. She started becoming VERY bouncy and hyper outside on walks, to the point I was worried that she would escape her collar and bolt off. She would also switch into a super intense focus on whatever movement/cars/dogs/birds/etc. was around and would have to be dragged away because she wouldn't even take amazing treats when she had them waved in her face. She's definitely too much dog for me as someone whose only had one dog before her and even my dad who has had a little more experience(not much more but still).

I feel pretty lovely about it, but I know she just wasn't right for us. With her being only 5 months and cute, I'm sure she'll find someone more suited for her.

Aw, I'm sorry it didn't work out. :( You did the right thing, though, believe me. The right dog will come along for you, I promise.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Here, have some Buddy & Nolan:

Buddy: omnomnom baby head. :3:

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

LunacySystem posted:

It sucks that you had to go through all that, but you did the right thing. Someone will give her the perfect home, and you will find a dog that perfectly suits your lifestyle. Also, RIP Peachy :(

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Here's my beached whale.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 28, 2012

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

That dog is awesome.

God, I need to leash train Bebe more. She's just so intense. I mean not all that bad, but she's so focused on whatever's not me. She eventually remembers I'm the boss, though, after she calmer down.

Cool thing is, though, is that she jogs with us reasonably well. We'll pass by geese or other dogs, and she'll get distracted, but when she finds out that although she made a dead stop, we're still jogging, and oh yeah there's this harness, so then she jogs between us on a completely slack leash.

I try to praise her for that, but every time I pet her or praise her, she takes that as permission to start pulling.

Oh, and did I mention her housebreaking problem? She's fine in our house, but she has to be taught not to pee in every single new house we visit. "You didn't tell me not to pee in THIS house!" I think it also has to do with her intense territorialness.

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 30, 2012

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Warbadger posted:

Here's my beached whale.

Are you sure that your beached whale isn't a friendly coyote?

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int
Unfortunately Ben didn't get to experience much snow this winter, but he's enjoying spring so far.

One of his most amusing behaviors that he's developed is serial seat stealing. If someone leaves the couch for a minute to go to the bathroom, the kitchen, etc it's almost guaranteed that he'll steal the seat and claim it for his own. Sometimes he'll be dead asleep and it'll be worth it to him to wake up just to take someone's seat before going back to sleep.

Case in point:

I'm always amazed how tightly he can curl up with how big he's gotten.

Anyhow, this may be better suited for the puppy thread, but as of about a week ago, his appetite seems to have decreased a lot. He used to attack his food and scarf it down and let us know when he wanted to eat, but now he seems to be eating a fair amount less and with less enthusiasm. Other than that, his behavior is pretty much the same and his bathroom trips are normal. Is it possible he's eating less since it's getting warmer out, or maybe because he's not growing as much now? We cant figure it out. He's 10 months old.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I hope my dog fits in here even though he's a mix. We adopted Quaffle about a month and a half ago now. We think he's a German Shepherd/Malamute mix (or maybe husky), but he must have hound or something in him too because his ears attach really far down his head (oh, those ears):

His rear end really seems to confuse him. This is usually how he lays down. His butt stays in the air for at least a couple seconds after his front end goes down.

I guess he does look pretty wolfy (or at least what people think of as "wolfy") if you just ignore those stupid bat ears.

His ears aren't even level!

He seems really lean to me compared to purebred GSDs and Malamutes, but the vet thinks he's only about a year old so I guess he's got a lot of growing left to do. Actually the vet put Quaffle's birthday down as April 7th so he gets a birthday cake next weekend! He's about 70 pounds now.

I thought that by getting a shepherd mix I'd end up with a dog that would love learning tricks and maybe chasing a ball or something. Quaffle does not see the point of chasing anything that is not alive. He will MURDER crickets though. So far he has managed to learn "sit" (I've been really lazy about this) but unless there is food or something else he really wants involved he stares at me disdainfully then after a couple of seconds casually sits as if it was his own idea all along. Well then.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Aravenna posted:

His rear end really seems to confuse him. This is usually how he lays down. His butt stays in the air for at least a couple seconds after his front end goes down.

Cute. :3:

Downward facing dog is one of my dog's favorite positions. She does it to get us to play with her, to stretch, while she holding stuff with her front paws to chew on it, while she's waiting for us to throw something, and sometimes for no discernible reason. My favorite is when she does a stretch, holds that position for a few seconds, and then her butt just fall down. Often followed by her flopping over for a nap.

And yet, I have not successfully taught her to bow on cue (or gotten a picture of it). I feel like a lazy owner. :D

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Meet "Ranja" (short for Ranjatai 蘭奢待, the famed King of Agarwood):

He will be a successful soccer player someday:

...but for now he just likes to sleep:

...and hunt wabbits.

He may also be a retriever stuck in a Shiba's body.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Wanna play with those tiny paws :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Aaah! I love his little black toes. :3:

Wanna trade? I have a totally annoying B&T foster you can have instead. :iamafag:

trainedbyshibas
Nov 2, 2011
What Pfox said ^^^ I would never stop booping those toes.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

My sister just got her Shiba Inu (Pachinko).

quote:

He weighs 6 pounds and likes to eat Nick's shoes!

I'm going to have to pester her for more pictures.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Holy poo poo Quaffle and shiba puppies. :3:

I think my dog is broken.

I've just moved back up north and am living with my folks for a little while; their husky mix gets along so well with Hrafn but... well.
http://youtu.be/XZdR4kaE-Hs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently running 6+ miles is what it takes to tire out my dog.

Now I just need to figure out what to do on my rest days.

• Locked thread