Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's telling that he gets legitimately angry at Ralphie for killing THE HOOOOOOOOERRRRR who reminds him of Meadow, but when Ralphie kills the horse he absolutely loses all sense of perspective and straight up murders him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Washington
Sep 28, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

That was such a great moment during his intervention when he got pissed that he killed Adriana's dog.

I personally loved Tony's bottled sadness when he found out his dad gave Tippy the dog away to the mistress.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

See, the problem is that people keep watching this show in the context of "What I would do if I were a mob Boss" and not "What I would do if I were this kid's cousin/uncle/father figure". You need to look at in that way, especially considering what Christopher's true dreams were, or else you're conforming to the same "rules" and "traditions" of a morally bankrupt organization that's destroyed hundreds of lives, just on this show itself.
I thought that was the point? When christopher was " made" he was specifically told that this thing of ours comes first, before everything else family included. If you were able to just leave the mob like a regular job Chris would have been fired or quit long before he died. I think Tony was right to do it based on who they are and what they do. But on the other hand Chris gave Ade up so although he was a gently caress up and a junkie he did pass a pretty big loyalty test. Actually after posting this I'm conflicted myself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kenny powerzzz posted:

I thought that was the point? When christopher was " made" he was specifically told that this thing of ours comes first, before everything else family included. If you were able to just leave the mob like a regular job Chris would have been fired or quit long before he died. I think Tony was right to do it based on who they are and what they do. But on the other hand Chris gave Ade up so although he was a gently caress up and a junkie he did pass a pretty big loyalty test. Actually after posting this I'm conflicted myself.

He also had a choice before he was made to leave the mafia for screenwriter and he choose to stay.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Crazy685 posted:

Haha how did ANYONE catch that was Lady Gaga?

cbsnews.com/blogsfullstory.rbml?feed_id=71&catid=20019395&videofeed=null

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

General Washington posted:

I personally loved Tony's bottled sadness when he found out his dad gave Tippy the dog away to the mistress.

Speaking of daddy's mistress, what was up with that one scene near the end of the episode where she sings "happy birthday mister president" to him? They cut to him looking weird during it, and I can't decide if it's because he suddenly realizes he wants to bang his dad's mistress or if there's something else going on there.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Andrew Verse posted:

Speaking of daddy's mistress, what was up with that one scene near the end of the episode where she sings "happy birthday mister president" to him? They cut to him looking weird during it, and I can't decide if it's because he suddenly realizes he wants to bang his dad's mistress or if there's something else going on there.

I think it was either that or he was getting the vibe that she wanted to gently caress him, it was a pretty creepy scene all around now I think about it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bobkatt013 posted:

He also had a choice before he was made to leave the mafia for screenwriter and he choose to stay.

Yes, but Tony gave him a pretty terrible ultimatum.

"In exactly ten minutes I'm going to look up. If you're not here, I'll assume you went to find whatever the gently caress it is that's calling you out there, and I never want to see you again. If you are still here, then I'll assume you got no other desire in the world than to be with me, and your actions will reflect that every loving day. Don't say anything, take the ten minutes."

Tony was a big brother/father figure to Christopher, had been his entire life and pretty much the only person he had in that role being that his father was killed when he was really young. Tony basically told him "Follow your dreams and I want nothing to do with you ever again. Continue in this miserable life and I'll be here for you as I always have"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kippa posted:

I think it was either that or he was getting the vibe that she wanted to gently caress him, it was a pretty creepy scene all around now I think about it.

I think it was the realization that she was completely lost in the past, and every time he looked at her he was seeing the woman who was a major element of his own completely hosed up relationship with his mother.

What I found really telling was that Melfi confronts him on the fact that his father was a total shithead to his mother as opposed to being the persecuted victim he remembers him as. He's furious at his worldview being shaken up, and even after breaking off contact with the ex-mistress, he is so determined to keep up the image of his father that he just blatantly lies to the guys about what an amazing woman she was (and thus making his father even better because she was in love with him even though she'd had a "long standing affair" with JFK).

In the final season, I recall him being similarly furious when Janice reveals the story about his Dad shooting his mother's beehive hairdo to shut her up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I think it was the realization that she was completely lost in the past, and every time he looked at her he was seeing the woman who was a major element of his own completely hosed up relationship with his mother.

What I found really telling was that Melfi confronts him on the fact that his father was a total shithead to his mother as opposed to being the persecuted victim he remembers him as. He's furious at his worldview being shaken up, and even after breaking off contact with the ex-mistress, he is so determined to keep up the image of his father that he just blatantly lies to the guys about what an amazing woman she was (and thus making his father even better because she was in love with him even though she'd had a "long standing affair" with JFK).

In the final season, I recall him being similarly furious when Janice reveals the story about his Dad shooting his mother's beehive hairdo to shut her up.
Then he focus's all that anger towards his mother since she gave away his dog.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I remember bumming about on the Chase Lounge Sopranos forum and someone had went to considerable effort to write a whole essay on how the Sopranos is really all about daddy issues. The post is here, although it's super long so I don't have the time to read it again right now, but from what I remember it's very interesting stuff - http://thechaselounge.net/showthread.php?t=2503

I don't think I'll ever tire of reading people's analysis of The Sopranos, best show ever by a mile.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 26, 2012

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Leyburn posted:

I remember bumming about on the Chase Lounge Sopranos forum and someone had went to considerable effort to write a whole essay on how the Sopranos is really all about daddy issues. The post is here, although it's super long so I don't have the time to read it again right now, but from what I remember it's very interesting stuff - http://thechaselounge.net/showthread.php?t=2503

I don't think I'll ever tire of reading people's analysis of The Sopranos, best show ever by a mile.

YES! Thanks for this, I remember getting halfway through it before and lost the link before I managed to finish it. It is pretty amazing that 5 years on people are still discussing it to this extent, I've seen every episode more times than I care to remember (I'll often just start watching through it again as something to have on in the background while I browse or do whatever, I try to mix in other shows but it always winds up with me rewatching The Sopranos) and I still keep finding new little tidbits easter eggs and things I've managed to miss before.

The best one for me is the idea of Russ Fegoli being Paulies dad, I wish we could actually get Chase to say yes/no to that because it's pretty amazing if so.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Really interesting and well-written article about the 2 finalists in Vulture's Greatest Drama of the Past 25 Years, The Sopranos and The Wire.

He chose the Wire.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/drama-derby-finals-the-wire-vs-the-sopranos.html?mid=nymag_press

He makes a lot of really good points, but even after falling in love with the Wire, I would personally give the edge to the Sopranos, for one main reason:

The Wire never had Tony. Tony Soprano is one of the all-time great TV characters, and one of the most complex fictional creations I have ever seen. The Wire had some good characters, including everyone's favorite, Omar, but Tony was in a class of his own.

There are times I find myself "missing" Tony and the crew, and wishing I could spend more time with them, while the Wire characters tend to be more archetypal, more representative of groups or ideas than fully formed people.

But that's just my opinion - what do you guys think?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Ishamael posted:

Really interesting and well-written article about the 2 finalists in Vulture's Greatest Drama of the Past 25 Years, The Sopranos and The Wire.

He chose the Wire.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/drama-derby-finals-the-wire-vs-the-sopranos.html?mid=nymag_press

Spot on I think. But not just Tony, I would love more time with Syl, Paullie, Aj , hell I'd even watch old bloopers from Carm and the father from church talking about movies.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Ishamael posted:

He chose the Wire.

He makes a lot of really good points, but even after falling in love with the Wire, I would personally give the edge to the Sopranos, for one main reason:

The Wire never had Tony. Tony Soprano is one of the all-time great TV characters, and one of the most complex fictional creations I have ever seen. The Wire had some good characters, including everyone's favorite, Omar, but Tony was in a class of his own.

There are times I find myself "missing" Tony and the crew, and wishing I could spend more time with them, while the Wire characters tend to be more archetypal, more representative of groups or ideas than fully formed people.

As a fan of both shows I agree 100% with what you said about the characters, but that goes directly to what each show was trying to accomplish. The Sopranos was dissecting people, The Wire was dissecting society, and prioritized their storytelling to these ends, which you enjoyed more then comes largely to personal preferences. (I do like The Wire more, but agree that The Sopranos had better, and did more, with their characters).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Wire gets my pick, but this shouldn't be seen as suggesting The Sopranos is a "worse" show - it's loving amazing and it delves so much deeper into individual characters. I absolutely agree that Tony is an incredible character, he's what holds the whole show together, I don't think you could have The Sopranos work without Tony. Meanwhile, The Wire can (and did) work without a central character, and I could see a new series being made today with a largely new cast and work just as well. Without Tony, though? I don't think The Sopranos would work without him.

Stark
Jun 9, 2007
So I am just getting around to watching this great series. I just finished season 2. I am confused about the "stolen airline tickets". The tickets were bought on Ramsey Outdoor's credit, and then they filed for bankruptcy. The lender would be owed for the money that was used to buy them (and erased by the bankruptcy), but the tickets were paid for. This doesn't make them "stolen", and I don't understand how it would be a crime unless Davey reported them as stolen from his store. I know Pussy tipped off the FBI agent about them. But I still don't see how they would become stolen property.
This just bugs me. Anyone?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Stark posted:

So I am just getting around to watching this great series. I just finished season 2. I am confused about the "stolen airline tickets". The tickets were bought on Ramsey Outdoor's credit, and then they filed for bankruptcy. The lender would be owed for the money that was used to buy them (and erased by the bankruptcy), but the tickets were paid for. This doesn't make them "stolen", and I don't understand how it would be a crime unless Davey reported them as stolen from his store. I know Pussy tipped off the FBI agent about them. But I still don't see how they would become stolen property.
This just bugs me. Anyone?

Since they were bought using the credit of the store they were purposely bankrupting. They are embezzling from the store.

Stark
Jun 9, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Since they were bought using the credit of the store they were purposely bankrupting. They are embezzling from the store.

I understand that. I suppose the were expecting to be able to use Pussy's testimony to connect the dots because otherwise it seems like they have too little evidence to move forward with this charge. But then again I don't know the intricacies of the RICO Act.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Rico? Is he your brother?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Tony and Carm talking about the donation to Meadow's college

Tony: Those Jews are holding her hostage

Carmela: There Italian

Tony: Jews with better food.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Wire is the better show, Tony Soprano is the best character...that's a pretty good summary in my opinion. To be fair to all those amazing characters in Wire, of course, if any show focused on them in the same extent, they would probably get the same.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The closest you get to a full character arc in The Wire is probably bubbles or McNulty, but yeah Tony wins simply because he was the main focus.

In overall character development I think The Wire takes it. I dont want to spoiler things for anyone who hasn't seen The Wire but it's pretty incredible.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I completely forgot how stupid AJ got in season 6.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MrBling posted:

I completely forgot how stupid AJ got in season 6.

I love how he got shitcanned from Blockbuster for taking movie displays.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

haljordan posted:

I love how he got shitcanned from Blockbuster for taking movie displays.

Oh so I guess you don't give a poo poo about the environment :colbert:. Do you even know how much Cristal costs?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I wanted to murder that kid.

BUT I'M DEPRESSED
I CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT MOM'S COOKING

Should have made that rope just a little bit shorter.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Man, the funniest thing about the whole Tony coma storyline is that Paulie of all people managed to get through to Tony and he just wants him to shut the gently caress up.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

I wanted to murder that kid.

BUT I'M DEPRESSED
I CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT MOM'S COOKING

Or he could've grabbed one of the dozen guns lying around the house and just done it the right way.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

MrBling posted:

Man, the funniest thing about the whole Tony coma storyline is that Paulie of all people managed to get through to Tony and he just wants him to shut the gently caress up.

Look at my arm...like an old lady's oval office!

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

But then who would fly Donald Trumps helicopter to Afghanistan?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Bonzo posted:

Look at my arm...like an old lady's oval office!
That line never fails to crack me up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

One of my favorite moments is when they find out Livia's dead and Carm's parents shows up while Tony is on the phone with Janice.

Carm's Mother: How's Tony taking it?
Tony: MOTHER loving BITCH!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've always liked in season 3 when Tony confronts Carmela in the driveway about the pulp content of the orange juice.

"This says 'with pulp'"

"You like it with pulp"

"Not this much. I like it when it says 'SOME pulp'"

And she responds by throwing the phone at him. Then AJ gets home from his trip to Washington DC and finds the phone in the driveway.

"...somebody drop this?"

I still find that scene hilarious.

EDIT: Found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMppEcSRAbM

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
"They had Playstation 2 right in the hotel room!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

My all-time favorite Tony line, by far, is still "DON'T GIVE ME YOUR MANSON LAMPS."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gettin mad about chinese food

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Motherfucking Goddamn Orange Peel Beef!!

ahahahahaaa

Peace Frog
Oct 7, 2009
I loving love this thread. Best show of all time, I have to agree. The Wire is great for the social commentary, but The Sopranos for me is just an infinitely rewatchable masterpiece.

Great scene from 105 "College"

Carm: There was some ziti, but it all got eaten.
Tony: The whole tray, from last Sunday? ... Monsignor Jughead was here.
Carm: If you're referring to Father Intintola, then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Peace Frog posted:

I loving love this thread. Best show of all time, I have to agree. The Wire is great for the social commentary, but The Sopranos for me is just an infinitely rewatchable masterpiece.

Great scene from 105 "College"

Carm: There was some ziti, but it all got eaten.
Tony: The whole tray, from last Sunday? ... Monsignor Jughead was here.
Carm: If you're referring to Father Intintola, then yes.
"Oh he's a fag that's it. Otherwise I gotta question what I'm hearing".

• Locked thread