Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

900ftjesus posted:

I agree. I've used both and the Touch is the way to go.

Thanks from you and the above posters I went with the touch. It gets here this afternoon, I'll let you guys know what I think. I'm planning on breaking it in by speed reading the hunger games before I go see the movie this Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Trisk posted:

Can people give me a recommendation as far as regular Kindle vs. Kindle Touch? I've never owned an eReader before and the only thing I've gotten from reviews is a lot of mixed messages with some people saying the touch interface is awesome and others saying its clunky and to definitely stick with the physical button interface.

I've owned both and I like the Touch better mainly because of little things like highlighting. I highlight a lot and it's much more natural to just drag your finger over a paragraph instead of using the regular Kindle controls.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If the Touch also had hardware paging buttons, I think it would indisputably be the best choice.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
yeah I would buy a kindle touch with hardware buttons in a heartbeat

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anybody had issues with the Pottermore books' formatting? The Kindle-delivered versions randomly have the little bits of artwork at the beginning of chapters left-aligned instead of centered, and the sizes of those pictures don't always seem consistent. The raw epubs are fine, but then you can't use x-ray and all that stuff. No big deal really either way, I just thought that after the long wait for the Potter ebooks and with the ubiquity of the Kindle there'd be a little more polish.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
I just ordered the Nook Color/Simple Touch combo ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474642 ).

I have an original Nook and have been happy with that. I didn't have any compelling reason to upgrade besides the fact that navigation on the original Nook is a chore. I imagine the Simple Touch is better in this regard, but I will probably default to the Nook Color.

I know the Nook Color can be modded quite easily, but I was curious if it was seen as a necessity, or if it is fine as is at this point as long as my intention is to use it as an E-book/comic reader primarily with a little web surfing from time to time?

Is there any speed bump with a custom ROM, or just full tablet/market functionality?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Debating between grabbing the $79 Kindle or the Kindle Touch- is $20 bucks more worth it for audio and touch screen? Just curious, I would really only use the audio for the occasional podcast, really.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It has an additional 1.75 GB usable memory, Double the battery life, the Oxford dictionary feature for words you don't know, and the X-Ray feature (for supported books) that gives you more info on things specific to the book you're reading.
And it has less buttons to break, and a nice, almost rubber-like texture on the back.

I guess the question is, are those additional features worth the $20?
Mind you, it is slightly heavier and larger if that is somehow a factor.
And how much do you like manual page buttons?

I hope this helps. I'm going for the Touch myself. I like the increased onboard memory (since Amazon's online features aren't supported in Canada), and the X-ray and dictionary features.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 29, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Honestly the capacity and the battery life to me are almost moot, as I can't see myself needing that much space, and when the battery life can be measured in weeks it doesn't seem like a big deal. The manual buttons seem like they would almost be a plus, over the touch screen interface.

I guess what I'm mainly looking for is if there is anything that is a huge negative on the 79 dollar kindle. I'm going to the store tomorrow to play around with them, and go from there- I just didn't know if there was anything to look out for specifically. (I did not know about the space and battery though, so thanks for that!)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a fine device for $80. I'm a bit OCD and didn't mind paying the extra $20 for double battery life, but I would be just as happy with the $80 Kindle.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

kombatMedik posted:

The manual buttons seem like they would almost be a plus, over the touch screen interface.

If you want the best of both world's there's always the Nook Simple Touch. Also $99 but with page turn buttons as well.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Wait... The non-Touch Kindle doesn't have the dictionary look up?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Centipeed posted:

Wait... The non-Touch Kindle doesn't have the dictionary look up?

No, it does still have it. It has the Oxford English and Oxford American dictionaries preloaded.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No, it does still have it. It has the Oxford English and Oxford American dictionaries preloaded.

Yup, you just have to move the cursor to the word with the D-pad like the previous generation Kindles

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

SB35 posted:

If you want the best of both world's there's always the Nook Simple Touch. Also $99 but with page turn buttons as well.

Heh yeah, I've been trying not to bring that up since people are wild about Kindle features like X-Ray and cross-device synching, but the Simple Touch has 2 buttons on each side, a forward and a back, so you can turn pages with either hand. Also an SD slot.

And mine's running stock Android, so I can read the forums in the sun. :smug:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Heh yeah, I've been trying not to bring that up since people are wild about Kindle features like X-Ray and cross-device synching, but the Simple Touch has 2 buttons on each side, a forward and a back, so you can turn pages with either hand. Also an SD slot.

Yeah, the Kindle seems to be the eReader everyone turns to, and it is solid, I love my Kindle Keyboard. But if I wanted a touchscreen version, right now I'd probably go with a Nook Touch because the page turn buttons are something I prefer. But I'd really really miss the email to Kindle function.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

SB35 posted:

But I'd really really miss the email to Kindle function.

I can use Dropbox for that; not a feature normal users have, though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If anyones looking for a kindle fire, refurbs are only $140 today on amazon!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Does anyone read comics on their Nook Color? And if so, does the decreased size bother you at all? I'm looking at tablets for digital comics eventually, but that ebay deal seems unbelievably good.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

bairfanx posted:

Does anyone read comics on their Nook Color? And if so, does the decreased size bother you at all? I'm looking at tablets for digital comics eventually, but that ebay deal seems unbelievably good.

I've used Perfect Viewer, which scales really well. I haven't had any problems viewing comics on it and the zoom in and out feature on Perfect Viewer is really nice.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Nook Tablet here, and yes, comics are great in landscape. I find that 85% zoom is a good balance between text size and amount of scrolling per page; it's readable and about half a page is on-screen at a time. I use jjComics Viewer usually. Started reading Jonah Hex for the first time last week and I've been really glued to it since.

What eBay deal?

e: holy poo poo! Birthday gifts! \/\/\/

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 29, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Splizwarf posted:

Nook Tablet here, and yes, comics are great in landscape. I find that 85% zoom is a good balance between text size and amount of scrolling per page; it's readable and about half a page is on-screen at a time. I use jjComics Viewer usually. Started reading Jonah Hex for the first time last week and I've been really glued to it since.

What eBay deal?

Thanks, I may be parting with cash soon then.

and this eBay deal:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474642

Nexus42
Jul 5, 2003

Sorry for the Inconvenience
I have had a Kindle touch for a few months, and I love it. I don't miss the lack of physical buttons because I can turn the page forward easily by tapping while holding with either the left hand or right hand. To go back, I usually don't try to tap the far left of the screen. Instead, I use a "left-to-right" swipe with whatever hand I am holding it with. It works really well and I like having fewer buttons on the devices.

I use the dictionary feature a lot. It's really nice to just hold a finger on the word and get a definition. If there was more of a barrier I don't think I would use it as much, if at all. If you have used an iOS device with iOS 5, it works very similar to that.

Highlighting on the Kindle Touch is also a breeze. Hold the finger for about a second on the first or last word, then drag to highlight. The convenience has turned me into a frequent highlighter of interesting quotes and ideas in books.

The downside of the touch screen is that it is resistive instead of capacitive. This means that if I'm reading and something brushes the screen, like a headphone cord, then the screen will react to that touch. I have gotten over this in most cases by just making sure to be mindful of where I set down the kindle if I am not going to put it to sleep for a few minutes.

A few months ago the Kindle Touch was strangely slow with page turns. There was an update awhile ago that fixed this and it is much faster now.

Overall I am very happy with the Kindle Touch. I like having ebooks instead of physical books, so having a nice handheld device that can have more books than I will probably have in a lifetime is great. I think in a few years there will be better e-ink solutions, right now though the technology is enough that I won't buy anymore physical books unless it is an art book or something like that.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

Nexus42 posted:

The downside of the touch screen is that it is resistive instead of capacitive. This means that if I'm reading and something brushes the screen, like a headphone cord, then the screen will react to that touch. I have gotten over this in most cases by just making sure to be mindful of where I set down the kindle if I am not going to put it to sleep for a few minutes.

This is just nitpicking, but it's actually not resistive either, it's an infrared touch screen. The screen is surrounded by an array of infrared emitters and receptors, and determines where it's being touched by interruption in the beams.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Splizwarf posted:

I honestly don't really see this as a reason to choose a Nook. I've done it myself even with all the most recent advancements and I still don't see how it can possibly be worth it.

That said, I am kind of surprised the Nook is falling by the wayside, at least from the sounds of this thread. I have a Simple Touch and the rest of my family have the Kindle Touch and they're both about on par in terms of quality.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PoisonedV posted:

That said, I am kind of surprised the Nook is falling by the wayside

You're surprised that the device with slightly worse book selection, only available in one country, available at fewer retail outlets in that country, and never really was as popular as the kindle is "falling by the wayside"? I'm not saying it's a bad device, but everything else behind it handicaps it to greater or lesser degrees.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Install Gentoo posted:

You're surprised that the device with slightly worse book selection, only available in one country, available at fewer retail outlets in that country, and never really was as popular as the kindle is "falling by the wayside"? I'm not saying it's a bad device, but everything else behind it handicaps it to greater or lesser degrees.

Okay, so I guess it's not too surprising when the whole picture is looked at, it was definitely pretty clear when I was trying to decide which one and still kept up on developments and news. It's easy to forget those aspects when my own experience has been pretty great.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Like I said, it's a great device, but B&N has done or is a lot of stuff that holds it back.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

PoisonedV posted:

I honestly don't really see this as a reason to choose a Nook. I've done it myself even with all the most recent advancements and I still don't see how it can possibly be worth it.

Easily putting stock Android on it was the reason I bought it. I don't have to gently caress with Amazon or B&N's choice of how I want to read a book (like only offering a couple of fonts in what, 6 or 7 sizes?), instead I can use Moon+, which reads every format and is just about infinitely customizable. There's other book readers for Android too, which I'm told are even better, I just know how to use Moon+ already. Also, I can use ezPDF, which means I can take my textbooks with me (they were black and white in the first place).

I'm not a good example of average consumer but I'd like to think I'm an average nerd on this one. v:shobon:v

Nexus42
Jul 5, 2003

Sorry for the Inconvenience

Kairos posted:

This is just nitpicking, but it's actually not resistive either, it's an infrared touch screen. The screen is surrounded by an array of infrared emitters and receptors, and determines where it's being touched by interruption in the beams.

Yeah it is pretty nitpicky, I just wanted to include a downside instead of only praise. Thank you for correcting my mistake, I didn't know it used an infrared touch system. Is that what those old touch screens used? I remember using one at a department in the 90's and I think it was infrared. If it was, I am sure that technology has greatly improved since then.

The device is still excellent with a great reading experience. I am looking forward to seeing where the e-ink technology goes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nexus42 posted:

I am looking forward to seeing where the e-ink technology goes.

Four-colour comics!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm looking for some good screensavers for my Nook Simple Touch. Those for the Kindle or Kindle Touch should work as well. I've dug through some screensaver websites but their stuff are mostly low quality. Wouldn't mind if somebody shared their folder of screensaver here!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The only one you'll ever need!

Unless, that is, you find a good "Don't Panic" screensaver. That might be nice too...

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Vegetable posted:

I'm looking for some good screensavers for my Nook Simple Touch. Those for the Kindle or Kindle Touch should work as well. I've dug through some screensaver websites but their stuff are mostly low quality. Wouldn't mind if somebody shared their folder of screensaver here!

Here are the ones I made. They're some musicians and then zoidberg.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The fact that it wasn't totaly obvious that Viz's Light Novels are on Kindle UK store utterly infuriates me and opens old sores about the UK anime industry.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 3, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Sometimes Viz books are cheaper on B&N by a dollar or two. I don't know if you'd be able to buy them outside the US.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Vegetable posted:

I'm still using the ones from my old Nook on my Simple Touch: http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/RightClickSaveAs/Nook-Wallpaper/
There's a bunch of other nice ones linked in the first couple posts of this thread in case you missed them.

I made mine using http://www.wordle.net/ , which was linked by someone here long ago. The quick and dirty way is to just copy and paste the plot summary from Wikipedia or somewhere like that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'll post my screensaves when I get home. I've mainly got some MC Escher, Audubon bird prints, Chinese watercolors, a few old woodcuts, and some random stuff I think are from graphic novels or something.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
I hate to be needy, as I usually don't have trouble with any type of rooting process, but I'm running into some trouble with the Nook Color.

I want to either Root or create a bootable CM7 SD card.

It seems like my S/N and Firmware version are beyond the stage where there is a method for rooting according to http://nookdevs.com/NookColor/Rooting/Eclair

I tried to make a bootable card using the intructions here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

And the CM7 RC here:
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=encore

I tried an older CM7 build as well and the NC wouldn't boot from the card. With the version above, it wouldn't boot at all. Am I using an old procedure or outdated software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Here's my Kindle screensavers. Click for big: