Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shooting Blanks posted:

I actually use a Sawzall as my main cutting implement in the kitchen.

Pussy.

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

I actually use a Sawzall as my main cutting implement in the kitchen.

The "Torch" brand metal blades are the best for meat and veg while for bread I prefer a longer and more aggressively toothed demo blade.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Should I just skip the inevitable one-upping and just mention my father's one-time use of his chainsaw in cooking?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

StealthArcher posted:

Should I just skip the inevitable one-upping and just mention my father's one-time use of his chainsaw in cooking?

Derail over.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qj8PhxSnhg

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

StealthArcher posted:

I actually once worked in a kitchen that preferred to use hacksaws for breaking down whole pigs. Not sure if they still do, it's been a few years since I worked there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shooting Blanks posted:

I actually once worked in a kitchen that preferred to use hacksaws for breaking down whole pigs. Not sure if they still do, it's been a few years since I worked there.

Isn't that pretty much a standard tool for anything where you have to cut bones?

I assume we're talking about something like this:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I dropped my bread knife yesterday and bent the tip. loving irritating, but it was only a 8" and I have wanted a longer one for ages, as the loaves I bake are often about that length, and now I have an excuse. It was a Wusthof and I was very happy with it, but if Victorinox are similar quality but cheaper, I'm happy with that too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
According to Cook's, the Wusthof Classic is their favorite, with the Victorinox at second place at less than one third the price ($25 vs $90)

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

What are you doing, Julian! The chicken fingers aren’t even cooked! You want us to get sasparilla or something, you dick!
We used a Kubota to skin deer. Vroom.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bleston Humenthal posted:

We used a Kubota to skin deer. Vroom.

I'd heard about that (with a 4 wheeler, anyway), but didn't get to see it this deer season. Is it a clean pull?

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

What are you doing, Julian! The chicken fingers aren’t even cooked! You want us to get sasparilla or something, you dick!
If you make your initial cuts clean, yes, absolutely.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a recommended detergent/bleach to wash the food/grease/poo poo off bar mops?

Also, what's the best way to clean cooked-on oil/butter off a nonstick electric griddle?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just bought myself a sword knife, my local kitchen supply store are having a sale on Victorinox knives, so I bought a 31cm/12" chef's knife.

Ain't compensatin' for nothin' and I'd like to add to the countless recommendations for their knives. It's a drat fine piece of kit for less than $50.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

According to Cook's, the Wusthof Classic is their favorite, with the Victorinox at second place at less than one third the price ($25 vs $90)

Thank you, I'll probably go with that. I don't need the World's Best Breadknife, just a good one. (man, most bread knives are bad. Actually, most knives are bad).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

therattle posted:

Thank you, I'll probably go with that. I don't need the World's Best Breadknife, just a good one. (man, most bread knives are bad. Actually, most knives are bad).

Basically any serrated knife will work perfectly well for all kinds of bread. For anything other than crusty bread, a chef's knife is more than adequate.

Just get a the cheapest non-flimsy serrated bread knife you can find. I like Fiskars, they're inexpensive and have comfortable handles.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

Basically any serrated knife will work perfectly well for all kinds of bread. For anything other than crusty bread, a chef's knife is more than adequate.

Just get a the cheapest non-flimsy serrated bread knife you can find. I like Fiskars, they're inexpensive and have comfortable handles.

I don't quite agree. I've used non-flimsy serrated knives before, and some are crap.

The Victorinox/Forchner 10 inch is $26-32 in the US and loving £85 here. Apparently it is quite flexible though, while I like a rigid bread knife.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a recommended detergent/bleach to wash the food/grease/poo poo off bar mops?

Also, what's the best way to clean cooked-on oil/butter off a nonstick electric griddle?

Oxiclean!

Heat the griddle with water and vinegar in it, then pour the water/vinegar mixture away and use warm soapy water and a scrubber.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

therattle posted:

I don't quite agree. I've used non-flimsy serrated knives before, and some are crap.

The Victorinox/Forchner 10 inch is $26-32 in the US and loving £85 here. Apparently it is quite flexible though, while I like a rigid bread knife.

£85?!

The full-on 12" bread knife is less than £40 with the fibrox handle and £56 with the rosewood handle 'round these parts, do you have any kitchen supply store nearby?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

MOAR posted:

Oxiclean!

Heat the griddle with water and vinegar in it, then pour the water/vinegar mixture away and use warm soapy water and a scrubber.

Really? A scrubber on nonstick? I'd say stick with the water/vin but use a cloth or paper towel to do the rest.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

£85?!

The full-on 12" bread knife is less than £40 with the fibrox handle and £56 with the rosewood handle 'round these parts, do you have any kitchen supply store nearby?

I just did a quick google search. I;m in Soho, so there are a couple I'll check out. I'd never have paid that - I'm going to the Us in June, I would have just bought it then. And taken it on board as carry-on.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I cook a fair amount of fish and I'm looking for a good, entry-level, flexible boner. Any recommendations?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sega Saturn posted:

I cook a fair amount of fish and I'm looking for a good, entry-level, flexible boner. Any recommendations?

Victorinox/Forschner? v:shobon:v

I've been very happy with my Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional "S" semi-stiff boner (*phew*) as well, but it's a bit more expensive.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

KozmoNaut posted:

Victorinox/Forschner? v:shobon:v

I've been very happy with my Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional "S" semi-stiff boner (*phew*) as well, but it's a bit more expensive.

That's what I was looking at, but it's nice to hear confirmation.

Also: will I ever *not* giggle when someone says "semi-stiff boner"? Probably not.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sega Saturn posted:

That's what I was looking at, but it's nice to hear confirmation.

Also: will I ever *not* giggle when someone says "semi-stiff boner"? Probably not.

Yeah, it's not "Friodur ice-hardened" and forged with a classic full-tang three-rivet handle like the Zwilling, but it's also not 3-4 times the price. The Zwilling was a (very nice) Christmas gift from my uncle, I would have bought the Victorinox if I had to buy one myself.

Being a humble home chef, I simply cannot justify buying fancy expensive hand-forged knives when the stuff Victorinox makes is so drat good value and just drat good in general. But then again, I am no knife fetishist, YMMV.

Referring to boning knives as boners will never get old.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 29, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

Referring to boning knives as boners will never get old.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=58#post398440571

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
GWS product recommendation thread: boners and pudding makers

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Go Victorinox flexible for a boner. Straight or curved, both are fine.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Apparently, my husband has decided that I want a deep fryer. I think its along the same lines as when I supposedly wanted a lawnmower, but I digress.

Any recommendations or ideas for a deep fryer? I don't have any cast iron...I have a glass top stove atm so cant really do that so I was thinking an electric, but not a Fry Daddy sort of thing. I'd like to get something decently good since it looks like I am getting one.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Amethyste posted:

Apparently, my husband has decided that I want a deep fryer. I think its along the same lines as when I supposedly wanted a lawnmower, but I digress.

Any recommendations or ideas for a deep fryer? I don't have any cast iron...I have a glass top stove atm so cant really do that so I was thinking an electric, but not a Fry Daddy sort of thing. I'd like to get something decently good since it looks like I am getting one.

I like the larger Waring Pro fryer I have. It's a nice compromise between capacity and space. The cheaper smaller fryers don't really have the thermal capacity to do any decent amount of food, and it's way cheaper and smaller than some of the semi-pro countertop fryers I've seen. Also, it's easy to clean, which is a huge plus for a fryer. That said, it is still a bit bulky, so you'll probably wind up storing it in a closet or something.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
Amazon has the fibrox 8 inch for 21 dollars at the moment.

edit: well poo poo, nevermind. the price changed to 28 in the time it took me to copy-paste, might go down again later though.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

Amethyste posted:

Cooks Illustrated did a roundup a while back, and they only recommended one(?) fryer, and that one with reservations. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/product.asp?docid=19540&parentdocid=19546

I usually use a tall dutch oven on an electric stovetop. That said, the best, and if done correctly, safest way I've fried at home is with a turkey fryer and propane burner. The barrier to entry is high enough that you're not frying regularly, but when you do, you can throw down. Bags of wings, tots, tortilla chips, pasta, whatever. You're outside, and far enough from your house that you won't burn it down (right?).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
One time a friend put on some oil to fry wontons and left the pot unattended. I arrive home to a house full of smoke and my friend watching tv, not even realizing the oil was smoking like a chimney. I had to take the pot out to the sidewalk to let it cool down and smoke off. My house smelled burnt for a week.

She's not allowed to deep fry anymore.

On the plus side, I got to screw around and throw ice cubes into the pot on the sidewalk to see what it would do, it erupted like a volcano.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Bleston Humenthal posted:

Cooks Illustrated did a roundup a while back, and they only recommended one(?) fryer, and that one with reservations. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/product.asp?docid=19540&parentdocid=19546

I usually use a tall dutch oven on an electric stovetop. That said, the best, and if done correctly, safest way I've fried at home is with a turkey fryer and propane burner. The barrier to entry is high enough that you're not frying regularly, but when you do, you can throw down. Bags of wings, tots, tortilla chips, pasta, whatever. You're outside, and far enough from your house that you won't burn it down (right?).

I was shopping for a fryer a while back and never bought one. I've read those self contained fryer units are super poor at regulating temperature and most I saw don't go above 350F. I also saw a lot of complaints about cheaply made safety switches (the bit that turns it off if it gets tipped or falls) that break easily and render the machine useless. It seems unless you're willing to buy an actual restaurant level fryer it's makes more sense to do a setup like bleston humenthal said.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

Go Victorinox flexible for a boner. Straight or curved, both are fine.

I just ordered a 6in flexible boner last week, and received mine yesterday. I was really thrown by how bulky the handle is. And I guess how long it is. I feel like someone stuck an 8in in the 6in box.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

granpa yum posted:

I was shopping for a fryer a while back and never bought one. I've read those self contained fryer units are super poor at regulating temperature and most I saw don't go above 350F. I also saw a lot of complaints about cheaply made safety switches (the bit that turns it off if it gets tipped or falls) that break easily and render the machine useless. It seems unless you're willing to buy an actual restaurant level fryer it's makes more sense to do a setup like bleston humenthal said.

solution : buy a restaurant level fryer :cawg:

(no seriously I'll probably do this one day - I came to the same conclusion re: cheap "home" fryers.)

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Can anybody recommend a nice high quality food processor from personal experience? I have a baby on the way and family member is going to get me a food processor so I can make a good quantity of home made baby foods. The food processor will get regular use breaking down and pureeing everything from potatoes to veggies so it will have to be made well.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Rythe posted:

Can anybody recommend a nice high quality food processor from personal experience? I have a baby on the way and family member is going to get me a food processor so I can make a good quantity of home made baby foods. The food processor will get regular use breaking down and pureeing everything from potatoes to veggies so it will have to be made well.

When I was a kid we had an old version of one of these. It was pretty damned great. I think they go under the name Magic Mill in the US.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rythe posted:

I've got a magimix (Cuisinart in the US?) which is excellent. My mother has had hers for well over 30 years.

I also have an excellent Dualit immersion blender which would do the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

Rythe posted:

High quality? No question. http://www.amazon.com/Robot-Coupe-R2N-Processor-Model/dp/B002IYMZSQ Robot Coupe. It takes no prisoners, is caveman simple, and has no superfluous safety nonsense. It is powered by a one horsepower magnetic induction motor, and is lubricated with pure hatred.

If, as I suspect, you do not necessarily need a doomsday device, and prefer a more modestly priced offering, I own something similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-10S-Classic-7-Cup-Processor/dp/B00004S9EM/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1333500965&sr=1-2 It is fine, I suppose. It makes fairly short work of any reasonably prepared veg, but once you've witnessed the awesome power of a robot coupe, it takes the gleam off of its lesser endowed brethren.

• Locked thread