Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

InfiniteJesters posted:

In today's session of my group:

-A multiway political clusterfuck between Tau, Tau-sympathizing Imperials, multiple Guard regiments having a power struggle over who assumes command of the city's Imperial Guard division after the sympathizers assassinated the residing Lord General, and us. Actual investigative work! Fun! We're like the world's most overpowered SWAT team.
    -We break into a sympathizer's hideout and I threaten to use my juggling skills on the rebel scum if they do not cooperate.
    -Our Apothecary attempts to solve problems by being an EXTREMELY aggressive drug pusher.
    -When an ammo dump in the city explodes, an order to our Apothecary to tend to wounded Guardsmen is met with an incredibly bored-sounding "No."
    -My Ultramarine tackles a Guardsman into a wall to prevent him from executing a person of interest in the Tau conspiracy. CRUNCH!
    -We confront the corrupt city elder helming the Tau sympathizers in the city, plus his bodyguard, all toting Tau pulse carbines. The elder taunts us to give him one good reason not to fire...To which our response is our Librarian burning over half of them alive with his powers, my Ultramarine blasting 4 of them into kibble with a Storm Bolter, and our Black Templar Assault Marine pinning the elder to a wall with a power blade at the elder's throat while growling "How's THAT for a reason?"

I swear, I have the best group and play the best game. :keke:

Nice, I love how it starts with the Librarian puttin' the heat on some fools. I just ran a game last week, where our Librarian, on turn one, pushed a smite (with talents, a PR of 9) and hit a hive tyrant and his 3 tyrant guard. Did 81 damage before armor and toughness, and he popped the tyrant guard like popcorn kernels. Then our Devestator put the hate down on a Zoanthrope and killed it in one burst with some lucky rear end rolls. This game is like Gears of War meets Dragonball Z sometimes, and it's always awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alectai posted:

Rogue Trader still has Unnatural Characteristics as multipliers instead of bonii, and Semi-Auto and Single Shot have been flipped in terms of modifiers (Single Shot is now more likely to hit then multiple shots.). Besides that and some different Talents and consolidated Skills, the core system is basically the same.

Oh, one more thing, you start with one Degree when succeeding/failing in Black Crusade, Rogue Trader only adds degrees for every 10 you succeed/fail by, and Unnatural characteristics add half their value in bonus degrees on a successful roll.

Whoah whoah whoah whoah whoah -- you start at 1 degree of success in Black Crusade? So, say with Swift Attack, where you get an additional melee attack for every two degrees of success, if someone with a WS of 35 rolls a 25, they would get an extra attack?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Whoah whoah whoah whoah whoah -- you start at 1 degree of success in Black Crusade? So, say with Swift Attack, where you get an additional melee attack for every two degrees of success, if someone with a WS of 35 rolls a 25, they would get an extra attack?

Not quite. They changed the wording of swift attack to read "Success indicates he has hit his target with his melee weapon once for the initial Degree of Success, plus once for every two additional Degrees of Success."

So in your example, the guy would have to roll a 15 to get two hits in.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not quite, Swift Attack lets you make a Swift Attack option, which has a higher difficulty, but connecting gains you however many additional hits the Talent allows you to get.

It makes melee fights between expert killers very deadly, but also very quick. Parry also gets better the more DoS you get, to help neutralize people who are attacking you a billion times.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 26, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, got me a fluff question here- how versatile is Biomancy? I mean, can it say... induce pregnancy?

Wait, wait, don't probate me for being creepy just yet! See, I mindblasted a Lord of Change to 0 WP, but thanks to a bad Navigation roll, our DM took the opportunity to have a Daemonic Incursion be some kind of rescue party, and while we managed to chase off the incursion, it seems they managed to take the LoC. Upshot is, we now have a VERY pissed LoC after our hides.

BUT! There is a way out. There's a prophecy which states that the Daemon can be killed by a child born without a father- basically, we need Space Jesus to kill Space Satan. Thing is, my Psyker (the party's only one, and a lady to boot) has mastered Biomancy :haw:

So the plan is to find a suitable mother. We're all Puritans, praise the Emperor, in good standing with the local Ecclesiarchal insitutions, so it wouldn't be all that hard to find a good, honest woman willing to make a sacrifice. Our Magos knows a few people who know a few people (guy's a Thorian, so I suppose he might have an ulterior motive- honestly, after this he might have a point), so I suppose we can get some gene-therapy or whatever techno-bullshit we'll need to accelerate his growth, and there's bound to be some memetic-something-or-other in Inquisition vaults to accelerate the kid's learning.

HOWEVER, none of this is going to work if I can't convince the DM that I can do this. I'm confident of my chances of not coming across as creepy (or at least, creepier than I've already managed to be), so we can hopefully rule out that aspect, but are there any other pitfalls in my plan?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
A child born purely out of psychic power is begging to be an alpha-level psyker or something that will rip open warp gates left and right the moment it puts together the concept of "I exist," especially if you have a Lord of Change wanting to gently caress your day. If anything, I'd go with the Magos slapping a bunch of genes together to make a fatherless (and possibly soulless/Blank, bonus points against daemons) abomination before I'd want my psyker doing ANYTHING having to do with makin' babies. Yeah, he's a Thorian, so you know he'll probably do something shady, but at least you know the general type of shady in advance instead of ending up with a baby that's Damien meets a chestburster meets Hellraiser.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Daeren posted:

A child born purely out of psychic power is begging to be an alpha-level psyker or something that will rip open warp gates left and right the moment it puts together the concept of "I exist," especially if you have a Lord of Change wanting to gently caress your day.

Hence the reason my psyker's not going to be Mommy. It's also why we want to get someone really, really holy to be the mother (Oh God, that sounded creepy as gently caress :gonk: ), that the Emperor's light may blind the warp-gribblies.

That said, the thought that it'd be some alpha-level psychic madness is hilarious in its own right.

Daeren posted:

If anything, I'd go with the Magos slapping a bunch of genes together to make a fatherless (and possibly soulless/Blank, bonus points against daemons) abomination before I'd want my psyker doing ANYTHING having to do with makin' babies. Yeah, he's a Thorian, so you know he'll probably do something shady, but at least you know the general type of shady in advance instead of ending up with a baby that's Damien meets a chestburster meets Hellraiser.

On one hand, this is a much more sensible idea, and most probably an alteration I'd suggest (mostly due to the unsettling fact that arcane mad science is much less creepy than [literal?] psychic loving around), thanks Daeren.

On the other- MY FICTIONAL FAME AND STARDOM NOOO :ohdear:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

CommissarMega posted:

On the other- MY FICTIONAL FAME AND STARDOM NOOO :ohdear:

Consider your idea a backup plan in case the Magos still has enough dangly parts to be considered male, and the universe is feeling particularly dickish enough to count him as a father if he makes a vatbabby.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are there any ways to get wounds beyond Sound Constitution only giving 1 per advancement taken?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
Trying to engineer the child is missing the point of how the Thorians think.

Thorians would be all about assuming that the child is already born or will be conceived by the Power of the Emperor and that he will be a Vessel for the Emperor. To a Thorian, the whole thing with the daemon prophecy is the Emperor's means of leading them to his Chosen Child in order to guide it to its destiny. Even defeating the Daemon is a secondary priority, the point is to recognize, nurture, and protect a manifestation of the Emperor.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
How do you guys handle doling out experience if its play by post? Is it too slow if I give a rank per mission? Too much?

Turtle before the Storm fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 27, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Turtle before the Storm posted:

How do you guys handle doling out experience if its play by post? Is it too slow if I give a rank per mission? Too much?

PBP goes at a glacial enough pace. For Dark Heresy, I'd say a rank per mission easy. For Rogue Trader and Deathwatch I'd say half a rank per mission, with bonuses for neat stuff.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Oh god why are we fighting Rak'Gol.

:smith:

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, got me a fluff question here- how versatile is Biomancy? I mean, can it say... induce pregnancy?

Wait, wait, don't probate me for being creepy just yet! See, I mindblasted a Lord of Change to 0 WP, but thanks to a bad Navigation roll, our DM took the opportunity to have a Daemonic Incursion be some kind of rescue party, and while we managed to chase off the incursion, it seems they managed to take the LoC. Upshot is, we now have a VERY pissed LoC after our hides.

BUT! There is a way out. There's a prophecy which states that the Daemon can be killed by a child born without a father- basically, we need Space Jesus to kill Space Satan. Thing is, my Psyker (the party's only one, and a lady to boot) has mastered Biomancy :haw:

So the plan is to find a suitable mother. We're all Puritans, praise the Emperor, in good standing with the local Ecclesiarchal insitutions, so it wouldn't be all that hard to find a good, honest woman willing to make a sacrifice. Our Magos knows a few people who know a few people (guy's a Thorian, so I suppose he might have an ulterior motive- honestly, after this he might have a point), so I suppose we can get some gene-therapy or whatever techno-bullshit we'll need to accelerate his growth, and there's bound to be some memetic-something-or-other in Inquisition vaults to accelerate the kid's learning.

HOWEVER, none of this is going to work if I can't convince the DM that I can do this. I'm confident of my chances of not coming across as creepy (or at least, creepier than I've already managed to be), so we can hopefully rule out that aspect, but are there any other pitfalls in my plan?

so wait, in order to fight a Lord of Change you are gonna make a pskyer baby out of wizard powers? yeah, that's gonna go bad faster than you can say "Just according to keikaku"

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Liesmith posted:

so wait, in order to fight a Lord of Change you are gonna make a pskyer baby out of wizard powers? yeah, that's gonna go bad faster than you can say "Just according to keikaku"

* keikaku means plan.

That said, yeah, this doesn't seem like the greatest idea out there. I mean, I suppose as a sufficiently powerful psyker you could do that, but I can't imagine how hosed up a baby born primarily from psychic powers would be.

That said, yeah sure, give it shot.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Solus posted:

Well it turns out they are hard nuts to crack. Even my meltagun did gently caress all. We survived though :unsmith:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Liesmith posted:

Actually, my GM's going with my idea, and I suspect it's exactly for this reason. The Techpriest was open to Daeren's suggestion, but decided to go with my plan because, and I quote, "it sounds the funniest".

Also, it seems that we've had a change of plans, and my Psyker's going to carry the baby- she picked up Pure Faith and the Resurrection power a long while back*, and the rest of the party believes that with all that in my favour, I'm the best prepared if the hellbaby decides to go all chestburster on me. Finally, "my plan, my baby".

Emperor's teeth, what have I got myself into :smith:

*I died when we first fought the LoC for the first time (Rank 6, long, long time ago), and since I had a lot of XP banked, I wanted my character's death and resurrection to be a mite more effective than simply getting up as a bag of broken bones.

Solus posted:

In our experience, Accurate weapons are surprisingly effective. Those sniper boltguns (can't remember the name) and Angelus-pattern boltguns hooked up with ammo backpacks chew them up like nobody's business.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

In our experience, Accurate weapons are surprisingly effective. Those sniper boltguns (can't remember the name) and Angelus-pattern boltguns hooked up with ammo backpacks chew them up like nobody's business.

Stalker bolters! :eng101:

And I'm waiting for your campaign to go "The Omen" on your poor six. Be sure to name the kid Damien! :pseudo:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

InfiniteJesters posted:

Stalker bolters! :eng101:

Do they even make those things for humans? I thought they were all Astartes stuff.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Do they even make those things for humans? I thought they were all Astartes stuff.

No clue, actually. I imagine there might be a human-strength version, seeing as how the main propellant that launches stalker rounds out of the muzzle is compressed air (once it clears the barrel, the normal gyrojet rocket bit kicks in).

At any rate, if an Inquisitor needs for her retinue to have a human-scale Stalker bolter, the Mechanicus delivers or FINDS a way to deliver, I imagine. The consequences of an Inquisitor not getting what they need tend to be...Predictable. :commissar:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I have some more Black Crusade rules questions.

1) Using the Counter Attack talent, on a successful parry it says you may attack back as a free action but cannot use attacks that hit more than once or grant extra attacks, like Swift Attack and Lightning Attack (and I'm guessing Furious Assault). Does this mean you can use non-Standard Attack attack actions like Called Shot or All Out Attack? Would there be any reason not to use All Out Attack, given that you've already used your reaction and you will just get the ability to parry/dodge back as soon as your next turn begins?

2) I'm pretty sure when using Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee) you can only use one Swift or Lightning attack per round, and the other has to be a Standard Attack action, though the rules are still kind of unclear on this. But, when using Two-Weapon Wielder (Ballistic), can you use two full-auto or semi-auto bursts in a round?

3) A character without Two-Weapon Wielder can nonetheless always parry with an offhand weapon without penalty, correct?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

CommissarMega posted:

We're a Rank 3-4 Rogue Trader party and I'm running around with a Meltagun and a Heavy Stubber. I think our GM has started to hate us

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Mechafunkzilla posted:

1) Using the Counter Attack talent, on a successful parry it says you may attack back as a free action but cannot use attacks that hit more than once or grant extra attacks, like Swift Attack and Lightning Attack (and I'm guessing Furious Assault). Does this mean you can use non-Standard Attack attack actions like Called Shot or All Out Attack? Would there be any reason not to use All Out Attack, given that you've already used your reaction and you will just get the ability to parry/dodge back as soon as your next turn begins?

2) I'm pretty sure when using Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee) you can only use one Swift or Lightning attack per round, and the other has to be a Standard Attack action, though the rules are still kind of unclear on this. But, when using Two-Weapon Wielder (Ballistic), can you use two full-auto or semi-auto bursts in a round?

3) A character without Two-Weapon Wielder can nonetheless always parry with an offhand weapon without penalty, correct?

1) It doesn't look like it explicitly states that you can or can't, but I'd say it implies it's a standard attack only.

2) From the Swift Attack talent entry: "If a character is fighting with a weapon in either hand or benefits from a Talent or Power which allows him to make more than one attack in his turn only one of his attacks may be a Lightning Attack and have the chance of scoring additional hits." You can only Swift/Lightning attack with one attack per round. As for semi- and full-auto attacks, yes you can.

3) It's not 100% clear but it seems like it doesn't matter, as long as you're holding a melee weapon that isn't unwieldy.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Guys.

Guys.

In Black Crusade, Terminators can dual wield heavy weapons. They hold their Autocannons and poo poo in one hand, TWW only specifies the weapon be one-handed. :drat:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Solus posted:

We're a Rank 3-4 Rogue Trader party and I'm running around with a Meltagun and a Heavy Stubber. I think our GM has started to hate us

We're rank two, and just picked up some Autocannons. It was only due to those that we managed to fend off 3 Bloodletters, though >.<

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

CommissarMega posted:

Emperor's teeth, what have I got myself into :smith:

A fairly standard 40k game.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
So question about pinning: Our group's Missionary uses a flamethrower, which apparently just werfs flammens, so the opponent makes a dodge roll, rather than him making an attack roll.

When an Explorer is pinned down by surpressive fire, they take a -20 to their BS checks. Does a flamethrower completely sidestep this, by not making BS checks? We houseruled it on the fly to give the other guys +20 to their dodge roll instead, but if someone could quote chapter-and-verse what the actual effects are in Rogue Trader, that'd be :cool:.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
So, Dark Heresy - and the intro scenario to the Haarlock Trilogy, House of Dust and Ash.

How did you folks run the auction itself? Do I have to figure out how much each item goes under the hammer for (both max and reserve) and also how far each NPC is willing to bid and on what item, and in that case make my players bid through each and every item?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Man-Thing posted:

So question about pinning: Our group's Missionary uses a flamethrower, which apparently just werfs flammens, so the opponent makes a dodge roll, rather than him making an attack roll.

When an Explorer is pinned down by surpressive fire, they take a -20 to their BS checks. Does a flamethrower completely sidestep this, by not making BS checks? We houseruled it on the fly to give the other guys +20 to their dodge roll instead, but if someone could quote chapter-and-verse what the actual effects are in Rogue Trader, that'd be :cool:.
I don't remember where the rule is, but that is in fact exactly how it works. Thins which would be a bonus or penalty to your BS roll are instead a penalty or bonus to the Dodge roll.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Man-Thing posted:

Another thing worth noting about flamers is if a person can't dodge far enough (area, movement speed, whatever) they don't get to try to dodge.

Zereth posted:

I don't remember where the rule is, but that is in fact exactly how it works. Thins which would be a bonus or penalty to your BS roll are instead a penalty or bonus to the Dodge roll.

Are you sure about that? I believe that is what happens if you use a flamer without proficiency, but not aware of it existing for other modifiers (range, target size bonuses, etc).

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I agree with Fayk. I can find no mention of this all-encompassing rule. In fact, it'd be easy enough to argue that suppressing fire doesn't affect flamers, since blind fire with a flamer would be more effective than with an autogun, etc.

In addition, flamers don't get range modifiers; their listed range is their only range. Also, it's not a dodge test, it's an Agility test. Might seem minor, I know, but not every character has the dodge skill.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

MaliciousOnion posted:

I agree with Fayk. I can find no mention of this all-encompassing rule. In fact, it'd be easy enough to argue that suppressing fire doesn't affect flamers, since blind fire with a flamer would be more effective than with an autogun, etc.

In addition, flamers don't get range modifiers; their listed range is their only range. Also, it's not a dodge test, it's an Agility test. Might seem minor, I know, but not every character has the dodge skill.

Yeah. I welcome being wrong, but I think it makes sense - Flamers have some major limitations - ammo, range, and more. Also profieciency: ever notice that 'universal' weapon proficiencies (Basic/Pistol/etc), despite the name, don't actually convey 'Flamer/Flame'? Seriously, look it up. You have to infer it, but it's never listed under them. (Ex. Basic Weapon Universal says like SP, Bolt, Las, blah blah)

Only Flame Weapons (Universal) or maybe Heavy Weapons (Pick one - pick flamer) do so. Lots of people assume because they have "Basic Weapons (Universal group)" that they can use a Basic Flamer (profieciently).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Do melee weapon mechadendrites get a normal strength bonus to damage? Also can you use a melee mechadendrite to parry?

e: Dark Heresy/Black Crusade say you can use a mechadendrite weapon as an attack (no penalty) as a reaction, but nothing about using mechadendrite weapons as a normal attack. Is this even allowed?

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 30, 2012

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
The 'Utility' Mechadendrite counts as a knife with the Defensive and mono upgrades, so you can use it to parry and attack, but you don't get +str to damage.

I'm not sure what the 'melee' mechadendrite is, unless you mean the big gently caress-off MEGACLAW.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

atal posted:

The 'Utility' Mechadendrite counts as a knife with the Defensive and mono upgrades, so you can use it to parry and attack, but you don't get +str to damage.

Where are you getting this rule from (not adding STR)? IT's a user using it 'as a weapon' and making an attack. I understand 'logically' why you might feel their STR shouldn't be applied (though one could argue a mechadendrite would be customized/install to best take advantage of the frame it's on) but in the rules, is there anything?

I would say that a reasonable basis for adding SB is that one them (the lifter/claw one) 'adds' to the strength of a user (or similar, no book in front of me) for tests, not a 'treat them as if strength is x' if I recall.

As far as which could be a weapon: Manipulator can be used as a bludgeon, Medicae one can be a chain-knife or whatever the hell, and if an explorator has the Machinator Array, he can mount any basic or close combat weapon to a ballistic Mechadendrite

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I'm going to be running Rogue Trader soon and the Explorator wants to become Doc Ock. Is there anything that limits the number of mechadendrites a player can have?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Spiderfist Island posted:

I'm going to be running Rogue Trader soon and the Explorator wants to become Doc Ock. Is there anything that limits the number of mechadendrites a player can have?

Toughness bonus. The cool kids cut off their arms and ask for two more mechadendrites for them.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Fayk posted:

I would say that a reasonable basis for adding SB is that one them (the lifter/claw one) 'adds' to the strength of a user (or similar, no book in front of me) for tests, not a 'treat them as if strength is x' if I recall.
It gives you a bonus on strength checks, but it also deals damage using its own strength value, not its users, so it works both ways.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Quick question about Vacuums. If a room is vented suddenly and without warning do the players lose a round due to surprise? Or would they get a chance to react? This is very important to my assasination of a Rogue Trader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kortel posted:

Quick question about Vacuums. If a room is vented suddenly and without warning do the players lose a round due to surprise? Or would they get a chance to react? This is very important to my assasination of a Rogue Trader.

Losing a round is save or die bullshit. At the very least they should get an initiative/awareness roll or something, and personally I wouldn't penalize them with a surprise round at all considering that the sudden onset of vacuum without a suit is bad enough

That said, if you are venting a dude into space, I might not give him a chance to move or even stand still unless he's got some magnet boots or whatever. He might get sucked out into space that round (can still shoot dudes at a penalty or maybe slap on a helmet if he's got one available)

Liesmith fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 31, 2012