Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tafdolphin
Feb 22, 2011
What was it about the 90s and Aussie kids shows?

Kickin' rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
This thread is making me a bit sad. I missed out on Skydancers, Star Castle, and Dream Phone because I had an older brother and my parents were all weird about girly stuff.

Still, I had original Polly Pockets, including a wicked clamshell beach one. My brother had the Mighty Max cobra playset and I used to make Polly go on dangerous adventures :3:

I think there were much more family shows in the late 90s. Stuff like Star Trek DS9 or Voyager, Stargate SG-1, even Buffy. They were appropriate to watch with most kids, an not super boring for adults. Now the only good stuff is poo poo like Mad Men or Game of Thrones, and I don't think I'd let an 8 year old watch that.

P.S Boyzone

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Opera Bitch posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned California Dreams, which was an obvious attempt to cash in on Saved By the Bell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-Oo-1Tgkc I can still remember hanging out at my cousin's on the weekends and watching this and a few other shows, reading our teenie magazines and playing those games I mentioned, ah nostalgia.

It was mentioned in 3 other posts. On the same page as yours. One post included a picture.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Antioch posted:

WINAMP (winamp), it really whips the llama's rear end! So many terrible skins.

I've seen this pop up in 90s threads before, but I've always found it strange because I still use Winamp, as do several of my friends. Are we really just that behind the times? What's the de-facto non-Itunes media player these days?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Cromulent posted:

I've seen this pop up in 90s threads before, but I've always found it strange because I still use Winamp, as do several of my friends. Are we really just that behind the times? What's the de-facto non-Itunes media player these days?

I still use it whenever I play mp3s, I just don't play mp3s that often anymore.

Nichole
Nov 5, 2009

Opera Bitch posted:

I'm sure there are many female goons who remember spending their allowance on Bop and Tiger Beat magazines:

Oh god, the Tiger Beat on the right is great. I had a huge crush on Luke Perry in the 90's. But, that cover also features Mark Walberg's shame! At one point he was Marky Mark and was head of the Funky Bunch. My mom thought it was so tasteless that he would drop his pants while performing.

I've seen many mentions of Goosebumps, but I was little old for those when they came out. I loved books by Christoper Pike though. I felt sooo mature for reading those since they had sex in them.

And before there was the show Arrested Developement, there was the band! This song is still great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VCdJyOAQYM&ob=av2e

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

oldpainless posted:

It was mentioned in 3 other posts. On the same page as yours. One post included a picture.

Whoops, I completely missed that last page when i was replying, I'll edit that out then.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Cromulent posted:

What makes winamp 90's were the thousands of terrible free skins you could download from shady websites. It was right up there with custom cursors and changing your computer shut down noises to Dr. Who audio clips.

...Other people changed their computer shut down noises to Dr. Who audio clips, right? :ohdear:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I was about to go to the gym but instead i spent the last hour watching stupid clips from Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, and looking at radical brightly colored pictures. Why did I click on this thread :sigh:

About a year or two ago I tried to get my little brother, who was 13 or so at the time, to play Super Mario 64. When that game came out the fact they could make 3D Mario blew my mind, but he wouldn't sit through 10 minutes because "the graphics are terrible."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Wandering Knitter posted:

...Other people changed their computer shut down noises to Dr. Who audio clips, right? :ohdear:
I'm pretty sure I changed it to an explosion sound from Worms Armageddon at some point.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Command and Conquer Red Alert .wavs were all set as my windows sound. Everytime I got an error I was warned of a nuclear launch.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Opera Bitch posted:

I'm sure there are many female goons who remember spending their allowance on Bop and Tiger Beat magazines:

Oh man Bop. Asian here, and me and my friends used to buy imported magazines since there weren't any local ones for musicians/actors. I remember someone bringing in Bop (and another similar American mag that for the life of me I cannot remember now) and everyone was gushing about over the JTT and Devon Sawa posters. After a coupple of issues we gave it up and went back to Smash Hits and Top of the Pops since the Brit magazines were in full colour and therefore superior (also it was cheaper).

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Opera Bitch posted:

Thank you for reminding us all why Mark Wahlburg has not the tiniest vestigial sense of humor about his early career.

mania posted:

Why is this creeping me the gently caress out? What the hell happens when you turn the page? :ohdear:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

What makes winamp 90's were the thousands of terrible free skins you could download from shady websites. It was right up there with custom cursors and changing your computer shut down noises to Dr. Who audio clips.

Darth Vader saying "I find your lack of faith disturbing"

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax

What makes winamp 90's were the thousands of terrible free skins you could download from shady websites.

I rocked a winamp with a TNG interface skin. I'm pretty sure winamp was a host to spyware, or there was something shady about it.

Anyone remember MP3.com? It was like a proto-youtube, where the worst musicians in the world posted their inane music. Every time a major event happened, dozens of awful tribute songs would be forthcoming. There must have been dozens of Owen Hart tribute songs, for instance.

This is what I'm talking about :

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/09/365-days-254---.html

claptrap
Sep 30, 2008

Reebok PUMPS

and in gym class you'd have to take significant breaks from your arduous kickball playing and PUMP THEM THE HELL UP to reach peak kickball performance.
And then your mom would get mad when you'd cut them open like two weeks later to see what was inside. :(

Big Dog shirts enjoyed a brief stint of popularity when I was in jr high in the mid-90s. Now only dads wear them.

loving annoying catchy Fruit Stripes gum commercial :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSTGOyDFPrU

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

King's Quest V

Notably, this little fucker:

VoilaIntruder
Aug 13, 2007
Voila Intruder, and he's brandishing two sticks.

Bulgaroktonos posted:

I rocked a winamp with a TNG interface skin. I'm pretty sure winamp was a host to spyware, or there was something shady about it.

Anyone remember MP3.com? It was like a proto-youtube, where the worst musicians in the world posted their inane music. Every time a major event happened, dozens of awful tribute songs would be forthcoming. There must have been dozens of Owen Hart tribute songs, for instance.

This is what I'm talking about :

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/09/365-days-254---.html

For a while Winamp had some unholy alliance with a free-to-try games company called Wild Tangent which according to Wiki is still around. Buggy pieces of poo poo in-browser games with loads of adware built in? Yes, please.

Also, I think I still have a check from mp3.com for all of 0.07 cents. A friend and I jokingly uploaded fake Christian rock songs and promptly forgot about it until a few years later when they mailed us our sweet reward. If I can find it, I'll scan the enclosed letter thanking us for helping make their site such a success and offering convoluted rewards programs for long-term users. It was sent about 2-3 months before the website was shuttered. Sorry mp3.com, if I had known I would have returned the money :(

Sizone posted:

You all post such happy, fond memories.
Do not forget about .....the adversary.

In the 90s we rebelled against popular artists and characters the only way we knew how: by making Java games where we shot at gifs of said characters. Be sure to visit the Anti-Barney webring partner sites for more.
http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/shootbarney/index.html

Also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFyecDHSY-o

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Son Conan posted:

Cybersix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z22seoMxgpI

This is actually kind of an obscure one; IIRC it only really aired in Canada and it was really short. If you've never seen this, take a look-- Cybersix was very, very 90's, but it also had absolutely stunning visuals. I sometimes rewatch this show for how gorgeous the scenes are, and all the characters are drawn in this very peculiar, pseudo-anime style (the cartoon itself was animated in a Japanese studio, might have something to do with it.)

Only recently when I started seriously considering moving to Argentina did I realize Buenos Aires was the main inspiration for the setting of this little 90's show. :)

MeccaPrime posted:

King's Quest V

Notably, this little fucker:

LOOK OUT, GRAHAM! THERE'S A HOLE IN THE BOAT! :downs: gently caress you, owl. God drat.

Suzuki Method has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Mar 28, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I'm sorry, but the correct answer is Simpsons .wavs. :colbert:

At start-up, you had Homer saying "To start, press any key...hmmm, Isee 'esc, 'ctrl', and 'pg-up'...there doesn't seem to be any any key!"

And when you shut down, you have Apu going:

"Thank you for coming, I'll see you in hell!"

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Can't believe I read through this entire thread.

Found one nobody posted, James Bond Junior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoWexi-DWFQ

I remember watching this poo poo every morning before heading off for school.

For me, a lot of the shows I watched in the 90's were re-runs of poo poo that played in the 60s and 70s. I think maybe we were the last generation to watch the Flintstones, Jetsons, old rear end Hanna-Barbara cartoons and also the Brady Bunch. Those shows were old as poo poo in the 90s but they played re-runs on TBS all through my child hood in the 80s and early-mid 90's. I'm pretty sure they don't play those any more on any channel. They were obviously not 90's shows but it was the last decade in which they would be aired on a consistent basis.

Has no one mentioned Tiny Toons and Animaniacs? Gargoyles was already discussed but that, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs was my prime after school programming, I loved that poo poo.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I shared a computer with 2 teenaged sisters in the 90s, and I distinctly remember they changed the error noise to Julia Roberts saying "She's toast."

Why do I remember this?

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

madlilnerd posted:

P.S Boyzone

I see your Boyzone and raise you an East 17, who always looked like they were about to nick a car.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

VoilaIntruder posted:

In the 90s we rebelled against popular artists and characters the only way we knew how: by making Java games where we shot at gifs of said characters.

This takes me back to 1995, when a friend of mine and I spent a good portion of our early teens making WAV files of Barney being killed in various hilarious ways in windows sound player and uploading them to AOL.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

HateTheInternet posted:

I haven't seen this in ~15 years. Son of a bitch that hit me like a ton of bricks.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Nichole posted:

I loved books by Christoper Pike though. I felt sooo mature for reading those since they had sex in them.

Hahaha, wow. What the gently caress was the name of his series? It was an even more mature Fear Street, basically. There was also another series by a woman that took place in college, in haunted dorms or something. Like Roommate nightmares or something.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Hahaha, wow. What the gently caress was the name of his series? It was an even more mature Fear Street, basically. There was also another series by a woman that took place in college, in haunted dorms or something. Like Roommate nightmares or something.

Was he the one that wrote the "Remember Me" books? I remember reading them when I was eleven and being shocked, shocked at the idea of people making out while naked in a hot tub! :aaa:

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Yeah, it was highschool stuff for 10, 11, 12 year olds, dating and boyfriends and girlfriends and making out, but also murder and death and evil.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

VoilaIntruder posted:

In the 90s we rebelled against popular artists and characters the only way we knew how: by making Java games where we shot at gifs of said characters. Be sure to visit the Anti-Barney webring partner sites for more.
http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/shootbarney/index.html

Yep, I was all over that back in the day. Once, my teacher caught be drawing this ridiculously violent picture of Barney being mutilated, and she actually posted it on the wall of her classroom :unsmith:

But the real tour de force of Barney Bloodlust was a Wolfenstein3D hack called Barneystein 3D (go to the bottom of the page for a download). We didn't have a sound card on our poo poo 486SX but goddammit I didn't care, I just wanted Barney gibs spilling all over the floors of his own castle.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found 3D space cadet pinball for windows 7:
http://mspinball.weebly.com/download.html

Enjoy!

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Suzuki Method posted:

This is actually kind of an obscure one; IIRC it only really aired in Canada and it was really short. If you've never seen this, take a look-- Cybersix was very, very 90's, but it also had absolutely stunning visuals. I sometimes rewatch this show for how gorgeous the scenes are, and all the characters are drawn in this very peculiar, pseudo-anime style (the cartoon itself was animated in a Japanese studio, might have something to do with it.)

Only recently when I started seriously considering moving to Argentina did I realize Buenos Aires was the main inspiration for the setting of this little 90's show. :)

Hey this was another show I loved watching when I was younger! I grew up in Ohio so it must have escaped Canada at least. I do remember it not being on for very long and I remember being a little disappointed that there weren't more episodes. I think Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century was in the same block (another show I loved the hell out of)

To add to the Christopher Pike conversation, I read his series The Last Vampire a few times. Now that I think about it, I'm tempted to reread it to see if it still holds up after all these years.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

GodlessCommie posted:

I found 3D space cadet pinball for windows 7:
http://mspinball.weebly.com/download.html

Enjoy!

ah, who am I kidding? I wasn't gonna do anything worthwhile tonight anyway. Or tomorrow.

Nunez
Feb 21, 2011

Lauren posted:

Oh poo poo Weinerville. Goddamn I completely forgot this existed.

Can someone help me remember a made-for-TV movie that I saw as a kid? I think it was about a kid trying to get into the in-line skating scene, which culminated with him having to compete in a illegal downhill skating competition at the end of the movie. They started the race at the top of a parking garage or something?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Nunez posted:

Oh poo poo Weinerville. Goddamn I completely forgot this existed.

Can someone help me remember a made-for-TV movie that I saw as a kid? I think it was about a kid trying to get into the in-line skating scene, which culminated with him having to compete in a illegal downhill skating competition at the end of the movie. They started the race at the top of a parking garage or something?

Gleaming the Cube.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxzO07adAt0

Tiny Toon Adventures: One Beer
Kind of a mini-PSA that got BANNED FROM TV!

Nunez
Feb 21, 2011

Sizone posted:

Gleaming the Cube.

Nah that wasn't it. Apparently, I was thinking of 1993's Airborne, which apparently had a very young Seth Green and Jack Black in it.

Whatever happened to inline skating anyways? I remember it was crazy popular in the early 90s, and used to up there with skateboarding as the most Xtreme sport.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
McGruff
Chicago Illinois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avonDygBo_g
I never got any of those books, so I never learned what to do if there was trouble on the bus :ohdear:

I would have posted this sooner, but on my way back to the 90s I ran in to some construction

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
^After Skitchin' there was no higher apex to climb?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Nunez posted:

Whatever happened to inline skating anyways? I remember it was crazy popular in the early 90s, and used to up there with skateboarding as the most Xtreme sport.

It was a super inefficient way to get around since you couldn't wear them over your shoes and having them on indoors would get you kicked out right quick. And like the rest of Xtreme Sports, the equipment was expensive and didn't last long, and parents weren't keen on funding a hobby that was going to put their kid in the hospital.

Not quite campy, but I remember all the video game rumors that would spread around before everybody had the internet, all of which had some insane triggers to pull off. Beating the Elite Four in Pokemon 100 times without turning off your Gameboy unlocks a new world. Beating Super Smash Bros on the hardest difficulty with one life (possibly with the TV off) with whoever the storyteller thought was the worst character would unlock Metal Mario. Other stuff too, usually centered around being able to play as some person or character who was popular at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`
Mmmm letting the purple and turquoise waves of nostalgia wash over me. They smell like poptarts and burnt out RC tires.

It is now bookpost time. Because when the bookmobile was in the parking lot of my grocery store, it was literally the best thing that could have happened that day.
Warning: bookpost will get scarier as it continues.

I remember reading this one summer and thinking it was hilarious, because a lot of the characters and stories were ridiculously funny. Every time we had a substitute teacher, I wanted her to look like Mrs. Gorf. That's right bitchiz, I'm talking about Sideways stories from Wayside School.

I remember the 29th (I think?) floor freaked me out. The lost floor where people who got lost would be stuck in class forever? or something? And I remember the Erics, whose names (Eric Ovens, Eric Fry, and Eric Bacon) were hilarious to age 8 me. Great book.

And who could forget such classics as Werewolves Don't Go To Summer Camp and Aliens Don't Wear Braces.

Yeah, The Bailey School Kids. As a very wimpy kid, I was terrified of these books, but still read them because they were less nightmare inducing than Goosebumps. I'm kinda pissed that I was too much of a pussy to ever read more than one of those, (the one about the loving magic act rabbit or whatever) but I only needed one scary book in my life and it's coming up at the end of this post. Anyway, Bailey School Kids books were fun and often pretty clever reappropriations of common myths, monsters and fairy tales based around this one school where all this ridiculous vaguely paranormal poo poo would happen.

So who else read Animorphs?

Because I sure as gently caress did. This was a little real for being 8 or 9 when I was reading it, and I remembered being afraid that my parents and friends were Controllers - For those that haven't read Animorphs, Controllers are people whose brains are being taken over by a parasitic alien slug that perfectly replicates their personality and is basically impossible to detect. They are trying to take over the universe one planet at a time and the Animorphs were fighting them. I was afraid to even say the word controller (as in I wouldn't say "gimme the N64 controller" because I was afraid of...whatever, I'm not sure what I was afraid of, but I was afraid to say it, ok? Also I wanted to be Tobias because hawks are cool as poo poo.

And last, but definitely not least, the book that painted my nightmares in a garish black and white pallor for most of my childhood, no matter how sunny of a day, no matter how innocuous the environment, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

Nuff said, if you didn't have nightmares about the illustrations in this book, you were literally a broken child. This book was the scariest motherfucker at the book fair, and pretty much any story in them could probably reduce some of your doughier friends to pantspissing bitches with just the first paragraph. A story about a little boy finding and eating a toe, whose owner keeps astrally bothering him, still haunts me to this day.

• Locked thread