Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ratbert90 posted:

I just can't see ever going through a car wash, even a bay wash. I love the paint on my cars too much not to do a full two bucket wash on them every time. :).

You must have really good water. If my hose water evaporates before I dry it off, the thing looks like it's covered in birdshit (from limestone deposits, etc...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You must have really good water. If my hose water evaporates before I dry it off, the thing looks like it's covered in birdshit (from limestone deposits, etc...)

I use two buckets, a grit guard, three mitts, and a foam gun.

Also I use a leaf blower to dry the car.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Can someone start a detailing thread? I sperg over my BMW but I don't think I know enough to make a legit washing/detailing thread.

Also gently caress parking on the street and finding your car the next morning with sprinkler water spots as if they were spraying salt water directly onto your car.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I jammed a gently caress off huge intercooler into the front of my landcruiser to replace the factory one.

When your trimming bits of the grille off to clearance an intercooler, you know your pretty much at the limit of fitment!

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

Chinatown posted:

Can someone start a detailing thread? I sperg over my BMW but I don't think I know enough to make a legit washing/detailing thread.

Also gently caress parking on the street and finding your car the next morning with sprinkler water spots as if they were spraying salt water directly onto your car.

I'll do it the next time I do I mine if nobody has by then, but you should read Entier's detailing guide. There's a link in the references thread that's stickied. Should help you a bit.

Also, sprinklers here use recycled water that's collected from drains and slightly filtered. Goes great with my paint, especially when it deflects and sprays sand all over one side of my car. Never parking in that spot again, although it is about twice as wide as my car.

I use The Absorber to dry my car since a friend introduced me. Just bought my own last night (as well as a bunch of new detailing goodies). It's like a synthetic chamois, and it does a pretty dang good job at not leaving water spots.

Also, if you are washing your car in the sun, that's your first problem, especially if your paint is hot. Then again, I live in Florida and drive a black car...

salt the fries! fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 25, 2012

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

wav3form posted:

Jesus spraying some water on your paint at a car wash isn't going to hurt anything.

As long as you're using a no-touch car wash. I cringe every time I see someone drive into those giant spinning brush car washes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

new_bearing_races.jpg

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced the factory cat in MY WIFE'S 2000 Accord. Local shop wanted $938 to install a Honda OEM, I got a MagnaFlow and 2 gaskets for $188 shipped from Rockauto.

I love living in the South. All six bolts came off fairly easily after I hit them with Kroil.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

new_bearing_races.jpg

Mm. mm. The AIest barbecue.

What I did today was... nothing. Cleaned out the VW partially yesterday and found some trapped standing water and mould. Nothing important thankfully. Just a bit of laminated wood I left on the floor. but still not good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cancelbot posted:

My J-Body ('85 Vauxhall Cavalier) failed its MOT on emissions (6%, it should be under 4.5% CO)

So today I cleaned the carb and put non lovely petrol into it - Perhaps cheap supermarket + lead additive isn't as good as Shell V-Power for an engine that hasn't been converted yet.

Does it have a catalytic converter? If so, you'll need a new one, as the lead will/has destroyed it. But I think the UK started requiring them until much later than the US (we've had them since the 70s). With them allowing up to 4.5% I'm going to guess it doesn't.

Anyway, high CO usually means it's running rich. Was the engine fully warmed up? Is the choke working properly? Air filter is clean? Ignition system (plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor) are in good shape? Did they give you any numbers besides the CO?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Put HANS tethers on my helmet. Yay.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Belldandy posted:

I'm not sure if its the shadow or what but that looks a little TOO low.

If you think that's low, you'd hate my car.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

DropShadow posted:

I think it was the look of the stock wheels plus them looking set way back inside without spacers. But really, it was the shadows making it look weird.

I don't even think it's low. I think it was just high before. I can't wait to get a car that's low.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
replaced the plugs and wires on my 99 Taurus, oh hey, now it doesn't misfire! Yay!

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

DropShadow posted:

Yeah it looked like from the shadows the wheels were inside the fenders.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ratbert90 posted:

Also I use a leaf blower to dry the car.

Could you explain a bit more about this? I have a huge fuckoff leaf blower but not sure what I should do with it. Normally I just use the chamois and go as quickly as possible to beat the sun.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Could you explain a bit more about this? I have a huge fuckoff leaf blower but not sure what I should do with it. Normally I just use the chamois and go as quickly as possible to beat the sun.

The sun? Well, there's your first problem!

You might be better served by asking in the detailing thread

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
After the third such time of nearly breaking the drat housing to get the air filter back into the Vibe, I got a K&N Typhoon short ram.

Strangely, the gas mileage has gone up a couple MPG on this fill cycle.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Put a Lock-Right locker in the front diff of my XJ for some bonus traction. It was free, so what the hell. Snapped a ring gear bolt head off (grade 8 + red Loctite) when I was torquing it back down on the carrier. Always buy new ring gear bolts, kids! Thankfully I managed to back that bitch out with an extractor.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Matlock posted:

After the third such time of nearly breaking the drat housing to get the air filter back into the Vibe, I got a K&N Typhoon short ram.

Strangely, the gas mileage has gone up a couple MPG on this fill cycle.

Wish I had a reason to do something like that. Repairing the airbox every time there is a major explosion in the intake is kind of tedious. LPG. Good when it's good, but when it misbehaves it's a bitch.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Hopefully they're as good as the reviews make them out to be.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Lowclock posted:

Hopefully they're as good as the reviews make them out to be.

Sup Hankook Ventus V12 ordering buddy! :hfive: I ordered a set in 225/40/18 for my S4 today. I'm excited to get rid of my Eagle F1 all seasons (I've had them for 3 years)

edit: I'm insanely jealous of your price per tire!

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 26, 2012

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Got my Hankooks today. Props to Tire Rack for the stupid quick shipping!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I wish I could get tyres that cheap. the ones on the Fairlane are getting down to the wear markers. I don't want to be looking at $250+ each again for the cheapest I can get that hold air again :( gently caress Ford and their dumbass tyre sizes. And their lovely suspension design that prevents normal sizes even marginally larger than stock from fitting. Goddamn upper balljoint is <1" above the top of the tyre. WTF seriously.

What I did was check the coolant. Saw all the congealed leaks from every possible place, the worn out, hard to find and expensive serpentine belt and tensioner, the sloppy NLA steering rack U joint and closed the bonnet, pretending it doesn't exist. Also gently caress rare cars.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I actually just got a set on the TT here recently, 225/40-18 as well. It's gonna take a break from track duty, and these seemed like a decent bang for the buck.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Anticipation of what is to come:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A couple of days ago, it was rainy. My VW Superbeetle's engine area isn't sealed against water (the lid is raised up for show purposes) and so when it rains I put some plastic over it. Well, few days ago, I had to resort to putting a Hefty bag over the top of the engine, but later when I went back to the car, I started it up without thinking and the bag got sucked into the cooler fan. Nearly destroyed my car engine from overheating before I got it fixed. Ugh. I am such a moron.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

azerdude32 posted:

Got my Hankooks today. Props to Tire Rack for the stupid quick shipping!

I got my Dunlops (Star Specs) today! Thanks Federal government for that 500 dollar tire coupon!!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:911:: "You're welcome. I took it out of your paychecks. :smuggo:"

Yesterday: bought fuel line and drove home carefully, praying. By the time I got there, though, the fear had subsided and I decided to deal with it in daylight. After I take it to and from work today. Hey, I put my toolbox in the car, don't look at me like that!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Discovered I left the interior light on the last time I drove it.

Which was early Monday morning. :doh:

It baaaaaaaarely started. Finding a jump at 4am wouldn't have been easy.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Discovered I left the interior light on the last time I drove it.

Which was early Monday morning. :doh:

It baaaaaaaarely started. Finding a jump at 4am wouldn't have been easy.

That's a mighty fine battery you have there. I've struggled to start many things that had an interior light left on overnight. To drat easy to do on the Fairlane because it has a couple of lights above the back doors with an auto and manual on setting. The switch is the light cover. it works like a giant, super easy to move toggle.

Today, nothing. Not even 7am. Probably more cleanup. So much stuff dumped in there.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Wonder if it would be a problem ever again if the light bulb was replaced with an LED? I hate LEDS normally, but interior lighting is usually so crappy anyway that that might not matter.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Wonder if it would be a problem ever again if the light bulb was replaced with an LED? I hate LEDS normally, but interior lighting is usually so crappy anyway that that might not matter.

LEDs do help a lot. I haven't substituted in this car yet because the light they give out is kind of horrible and reminds me of a hospital at night. Previous cars I did because I've had doors left cracked or intermittent shorts develop in the door switches causing the battery to discharge. It barely makes a dent in the battery if it's left on for a day with the LED based lights.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My dash backlighting is all LED; my glove box and trunk lights are some massive LED monsters that are painful to look at, to the point that if I open the glove box with no other lights on the entire front seat is lit up pretty well.

I tried a "3 watt" LED from DealXtreme in the dome light last year; it was an improvement over the :siren: original 12 year old bulb :siren: that was in there, but that bulb was heavily blackened from age. And of course being an LED, it was highly directional; even with the plastic diffuser cover, I had pretty much zero usable light anywhere except directly below the light. A brand new bulb went in when I got sick of the LED and it turns night into day, at least as much as a single interior light can do.

The battery is the cheapest battery I could get my hands on last October or November; it's a store-brand battery from Costco (branded as Kirkland) with a whopping 550 CCA - but I think it was a whole $55 (plus disposal/recycling for the old one, plus tax - think it came out to $68 total). It spins the engine way, way faster than the 850 CCA/1000 CA Interstate it replaced, but the Interstate had at least 1 bad cell, possibly 2 (both sides of it were swollen when I pulled it out). The Interstate also needed a jump if the car sat more than about 8 hours.

I probably would have kept the LED had I not been delivering pizza for awhile - I could just barely make out my delivery tickets with it if I was stopped. Going back to a regular bulb meant I didn't have to pull over every time I forgot the address or house number. The delivery tickets also had directions to each address printed on them, so I kinda needed to be able to glance at them while driving... plus I kinda forget what address I'm looking for after I count 3 or 4 houses. "poo poo was that 1337 or 1373 or poo poo gently caress oooh something shiny :downs:"

General_Failure posted:

To drat easy to do on the Fairlane because it has a couple of lights above the back doors with an auto and manual on setting. The switch is the light cover. it works like a giant, super easy to move toggle.

My car has a single overhead light, with off/auto/on next to it. The typical Asian light I guess (at least, every toyota/honda/nissan/hyundai I've driven has had a nearly identical light). If I leave the door open for more than 30 minutes with the light on auto, the car shuts off the light automatically, which is kinda nice. Turn the light on manually (or bump it while grabbing something out of the back seat)? Stays on until the battery dies.

I miss having map lights, my last few cars have had them. I believe they came with the same trim level starting in 2000, but my 1999 doesn't have them. Has a spot for them though, I might try to hack them in if I run across them in a junkyard in the right color. I know the factory schematics shows them as getting power from the dome light circuit - same with the mirrors, and I have 2000 mirrors with lights that aren't hooked up too (the 99 mirrors tend to break the pivot, both of mine were broken when I got the car).

:spergin:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 29, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I pulled the interior light / map light out of the Magna a while back with the intent of mounting it in the VW. A couple of weeks ago I was at the Magna again stripping more bits out when I looked up and saw the map lights. It got an audible "huh?" from me. Admittedly it had been maybe four years since it was complete and drivable. Apparently I forgot that it had map lights near the rear view mirror and another set on the dome light. It was a loving awesome car. Shame about the motor :( Now it's just fodder for the VW and Ford.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Not my car but i replaced the front brakes on my dads Taurus and cleaned it up a bit. :). I also detailed his scooter.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

General_Failure posted:

A couple of weeks ago I was at the Magna again stripping more bits out when I looked up and saw the map lights. It got an audible "huh?" from me.

A lot of USDM GM's actually put the map lights on the back/bottom of the rearview mirror, with switches immediately under the mirror itself.

Admittedly, that's a genius way to add "map lights" to a car with no room for them elsewhere, even if the wiring is a bit ugly. I'm actually really tempted to do that to my car - it's a lot easier than hacking a hole into the headliner.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I did a thing.

I guess you're supposed to do this with a friend, but I don't have any friends :emo: so I redneck'd it up a bit. It worked pretty well, although it was a bit scary when it came loose after undoing the last hinge bolt.

Who needs a workshop :smug:

Backstory: The doors on that car are rotten as poo poo. I have two good shells that I want to swap all the door stuff into and then reinstall. Sorry for the poo poo pictures, the inside one should have come out decently at least. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

some texas redneck posted:

I had pretty much zero usable light anywhere except directly below the light.

This is the EXACT point of a "map light".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Truth, but it sucks a dick when it's the main interior dome light, which where he put it.