Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dogbutt posted:

What exactly is this event on day 7? And when does it happen?

I forget the name of it, but it's either a Fumi or a Daichi event, I believe. The name should be more obvious than the one on Day 6, at least. You can definitely access it as soon as you recruit/chase away Fumi, not entirely unlike the Trumpeter deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Dogbutt posted:

What exactly is this event on day 7? And when does it happen?

e: Oops, wrong day's event.

I just beat Devil Survivor 2 for the first time. My first attempt at the final boss worked, but only because I used Evil Flow + Recarm to drop Hinako in melee range, twice. Hinako, I choose you!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

For those with PSP / PS Vitas who've been waiting for Persona price drops, the time has come! Atlus USA finally price dropped all 3 PSP Persona games, as well as a bunch of other games (i.e. Kenka Bancho is now $15 instead of $40). You can get Persona 1 and 3 for $20 and Persona 2 IS for $30.

Thanks Atlus. At the base PSP game price, I was finally willing to drop the cash on Innocent Sin for download.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Ugh... Apparently I may have waited too long to get Joe past Fate level 3. I'm on Day 6, and I'm finding no events for him. Is there an opportunity to level him up again before I choose a path, or am I hosed?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Ugh... Apparently I may have waited too long to get Joe past Fate level 3. I'm on Day 6, and I'm finding no events for him. Is there an opportunity to level him up again before I choose a path, or am I hosed?

There's another team selecting mission in the middle of the day. If it works like the other one you might get enough points to push you over the line. Otherwise, people's normal events open back up sometime in the latter part of the day. If it's like 21:00 and you have no more events then yeah, you're kinda screwed.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Just beat Belial in DS2. He was pretty easy compared to Lilith, and I got him on my first try despite my physical characters getting one-shotted by Gomorrah Fire (woooops, probably should have guessed that "the inferno" would involve fire damage and prepared properly), mostly because I lucked the hell out with my 40 mag Lucifer who just happens to have Ice Dance and Ice Amp. I wonder how hard Beelzebub is. Is he hard countered by placing Amrita on all your teams like he was in DS1?

quote:

I think the Stake battle is on day 6, so be sure to choose Joe's team. If no events pop up during the day, that might be enough to push him over Fate 4.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I wonder how hard Beelzebub is. Is he hard countered by placing Amrita on all your teams like he was in DS1?

Beelzebub's gimmick is entirely different now - he's basically set up like the first form of Polaris, where you have to kill his minions to weaken him. In his very first 'phase', he's strong to all elements/reflects fire, and then in every phase after he reflects all elements. He switches phases/summons more minions whenever you either a) kill all his minions or b) attack him.

Thus, pro-strat is to leave one minion alive (as far away from Beelzebub as possible, to prevent healing through Fairy Dust or Diarahan or the like) and just park your main Pierce-nuker right next to him and kill him through counter-attacks - he doesn't phase-switch if you don't initiate the attack, so as long as you have Pierce and some way of mitigating fire damage (and hopefully, some source of healing since he DOES pack Ultimate Hit and Holy Strike) you should be fine.

If you accidentally make him switch phases, then you have to keep cycling until his physical phase in order to make him vulnerable to smackings again, which is a giant pain in the rear end, so try not to do that.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Sweet, finished Persona 2: Innocent Sin! A few last questions, if someone would be kind enough to explain: (Major spoilers for Innocent Sin, obviously, but I still want to play Eternal Punishment. If EP explains it, just tell me and I'll figure it out when I get there):

-Who exactly is Philemon? He looked just like Tatsuya at the end, but his last line (something like "I am you, and you are I") is pretty much the same as the thing every time you make a new social link in Persona 3 ("I am thou, and thou art I"). Is he the physical manifestation of Persona or something?

-What was up with Leo, the fire, the knife / eye injury, and him having the same name as Tatsuya? That seemed like it was going to be a big reveal and then I never saw him again. Maya's Persona saved her from the fire, I got that, but I don't quite get why it was burned and the significance of Leo.

-Was Xibalba there because of rumors and the Creeping Chaos making it so, or was that part actually true? Philemon's chambers being in the center of it suggests to me that it was at least partially true- or was that just the point where the distorted reality broke down?

-In the new reality, they never met as kids, right? The very last FMV made it look like Tatsuya and Maya recognized each other, but I'm not sure. Maybe just a little clarification on that whole bit?

-Lastly, I've heard a lot of people say the instruction manual for EP spoiled IS for them. I'm just curious what was spoiled, now that I've finished IS myself.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers these- I know some of them should be obvious, but it was a lot to take in and I'm trying to sort it all out. Awesome game though- not quite as good as 3 imo, but I really enjoyed it. Now I'll play P1 until EP comes out on PSP, and hopefully P4 will be out on Vita by then...

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Heavy neutrino posted:

I think the Stake battle is on day 6, so be sure to choose Joe's team. If no events pop up during the day, that might be enough to push him over Fate 4.

Did that, and it didn't flip him. gently caress. :smith: At least I'm going for no free battles, so I'll have double the points for my next NG+.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

DeathBySpoon posted:

Sweet, finished Persona 2: Innocent Sin! A few last questions, if someone would be kind enough to explain: (Major spoilers for Innocent Sin, obviously, but I still want to play Eternal Punishment. If EP explains it, just tell me and I'll figure it out when I get there):

-Who exactly is Philemon? He looked just like Tatsuya at the end, but his last line (something like "I am you, and you are I") is pretty much the same as the thing every time you make a new social link in Persona 3 ("I am thou, and thou art I"). Is he the physical manifestation of Persona or something?

Philemon is basically... he's basically the good side of humanity, the opposite of Nyarlathotep being the evil side of humanity. He represents mankind's desire for growth and improvement, while Nyarl is mankind's desire for destruction and strife.

DeathBySpoon posted:

-What was up with Leo, the fire, the knife / eye injury, and him having the same name as Tatsuya? That seemed like it was going to be a big reveal and then I neer saw him again. Maya's Persona saved her from the fire, I got that, but I don't quite get why it was burned and the significance of Leo.

After Ginko, Eikichi and Jun locked Maya and Tatsuya in the shrine, King Leo set it on fire (on account of him being a serial arsonist + crazypants). After Tatsuya got out of the shrine, King Leo shanked him with the knife, causing Tatsuya's Persona to awaken and burn Leo's face. King Leo incorrectly attributes this to Maya's doing.

He has the same name as Tatsuya because Nyarlathotep likes to be cute: Prince Taurus's name is Ginji, and he's the opposite of Ginko, Queen Aquarius's name is Junko and she opposes Jun (sort of, I guess), and Lady Scorpio's name, when written in Japanese, shares the same kanji as part of Eikichi's name.

DeathBySpoon posted:

-Was Xibalba there because of rumors and the Creeping Chaos making it so, or was that part actually true? Philemon's chambers being in the center of it suggests to me that it was at least partially true- or was that just the point where the distorted reality broke down?

It is only real because of the rumors

DeathBySpoon posted:

-In the new reality, they never met as kids, right? The very last FMV made it look like Tatsuya and Maya recognized each other, but I'm not sure. Maybe just a little clarification on that whole bit?

You'll see when you play Eternal Punishment.

DeathBySpoon posted:

-Lastly, I've heard a lot of people say the instruction manual for EP spoiled IS for them. I'm just curious what was spoiled, now that I've finished IS myself.

Literally everything that happens after the final battle, except for the identity of who died.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 28, 2012

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

TurnipFritter posted:

He has the same name as Tatsuya because Nyarlathotep likes to be cute: Prince Taurus's name is Ginji, and he's the opposite of Ginko, Queen Aquarius's name is Junko and she opposes Jun (sort of, I guess), and Lady Scorpio's name, when written in Japanese, shares the same kanji as part of Eikichi's name.

:aaa:
I never suspected this. Mind's blown.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

:aaa:
I never suspected this. Mind's blown.

Well it's really easy to miss because Lady Scorpio falls into Yukino's story arc instead of Eikichi's, and even if she was a major part in his story arc you wouldn't know that her last name, Yoshizaka, is Eikichi spelled backwards in kanji; Queen Aquarius is such a non-entity both as the Queen and as Junko that it's easy to forget/miss that she exists entirely.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Does that mean Joker takes from Maya, then?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

Does that mean Joker takes from Maya, then?

I think Ms. Ideal (real name: Okamura Maya) is supposed to be Maya's opposite, even though she's not affiliated with the Masked Circle.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Which even makes the name Ms. Ideal kind of ironic. Thanks, that helps a lot!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Wow, day 7 in DS2 really takes the kid gloves off. I appreciate it but the difficuly curve seems jarring- I cruised through days 3-6.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Thus, pro-strat is to leave one minion alive (as far away from Beelzebub as possible, to prevent healing through Fairy Dust or Diarahan or the like) and just park your main Pierce-nuker right next to him and kill him through counter-attacks - he doesn't phase-switch if you don't initiate the attack, so as long as you have Pierce and some way of mitigating fire damage (and hopefully, some source of healing since he DOES pack Ultimate Hit and Holy Strike) you should be fine.

If you accidentally make him switch phases, then you have to keep cycling until his physical phase in order to make him vulnerable to smackings again, which is a giant pain in the rear end, so try not to do that.

I had a much easier time building a full team with Ice Dance and Ice Amp, then one-rounding him after making him vulnerable to Ice. Pretty fun fight all things considered, and I'm happy to finally have Ultimate Hit (it does work with Attack All and Rage Soul, right?) and Holy Strike to play with.

quote:

Wow, day 7 in DS2 really takes the kid gloves off. I appreciate it but the difficuly curve seems jarring- I cruised through days 3-6.

Are you on Saiduq's path? It's really, really rough if you didn't build Fate with the Daichi faction members.

Actually the first fight of that path is rough regardless because those sadistic developers leave you with only two party members to fight it with without lowering its difficulty to compensate.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 28, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Plus the "bonus" boss that shows in that stage.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
No, Ronaldo's path. I walked into the second battle of that path and Daichi just ran over and pounded my team with Multi-strike D:

I mean I can figure out to handle them. It just seems like the human teams are hyper optimized to be really painful.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dragongem posted:

Difficulty curve? I call it outright cheating. At least the difficulty goes back to "normal" on the next day except for the last boss.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I had a much easier time building a full team with Ice Dance and Ice Amp, then one-rounding him after making him vulnerable to Ice. Pretty fun fight all things considered, and I'm happy to finally have Ultimate Hit (it does work with Attack All and Rage Soul, right?) and Holy Strike to play with.

Yeah, Ultimate Hit stacks with Attack All, Rage Soul, and Double Strike; it (much like Double Strike) replaces your basic Attack command (with Double Strike it becomes "Twin Ultimate" in the battle menus).

And yeah, the humans in Day 7 - particularly former party members - are seriously ridiculous. It's not blatantly bullshit unless you do the AO route, though - the Ronaldo fight is bullshit enough without the added gently caress-you of Pierce + and Endure +. I think Daichi in that path has Desperation, too, which works as an Agility boost and in turn makes Multi-Strike even MORE ludicrous.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Dragongem posted:

No, Ronaldo's path. I walked into the second battle of that path and Daichi just ran over and pounded my team with Multi-strike D:

I mean I can figure out to handle them. It just seems like the human teams are hyper optimized to be really painful.

Imagine being on Saiduq's path and having to do that same fight with only two party members because you didn't boost Hinako and Jungo's Fates. That's me. That's how it was on my first playthrough.

Seriously though, make at least two Dragon demons and stomp through the rest of the game with their hilariously overpowered Evil Flow racial.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

Imagine being on Saiduq's path and having to do that same fight with only two party members because you didn't boost Hinako and Jungo's Fates. That's me. That's how it was on my first playthrough.

Imagine having this crazy idea about beating Shiva with two characters. I can't remember what I did but I bet it was cheap. Also Jungo was dead and Hinako hated me, so the next fight was tricky as well.

My quest for every title is getting closer to completion. I'm on Day 6 of this run, then I have to do it one more time. That'll give me the last two endings, and next run I also need to fight a bonus boss I keep missing because I'm an idiot. And I have to crack a bunch more skills that only pop up on human opponents. I don't know why I'm doing this to myself. At least Fiends pretty much give you the ability to go flying round the map like a loon.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

McDragon posted:

Imagine having this crazy idea about beating Shiva with two characters. I can't remember what I did but I bet it was cheap.

He's powerful, but he's only one dude. He's within range to hit him with Evil Flow from the rearmost starting position without even having to move, and three shots of Holy Dance keyed off a decent Magic stat will probably take him down before he can even act.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah, I had a stupid strong Dragon with Force Dance, Force Amp and Force Boost who pretty much one shotted the poor fool. I still can't believe Evil Flow made it past QA; it's so broken and the game would be impossibly hard if the AI actually used it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I beat the poo poo out of Shiva by giving AO Recarm and letting the MC throw himself at the blue dude repeatedly.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah, I had a stupid strong Dragon with Force Dance, Force Amp and Force Boost who pretty much one shotted the poor fool. I still can't believe Evil Flow made it past QA; it's so broken and the game would be impossibly hard if the AI actually used it.

Did you know if you use Evil Flow, attack, then use Uncanny Form and dismiss the Dragon, you'll retain the +4 range? Summon a Kishin in its place for three attacks from at least five squares away. Wee!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

I beat the poo poo out of Shiva by giving AO Recarm and letting the MC throw himself at the blue dude repeatedly.

Yeah I did it similarly. I beat him using Jean of Arc's hero ability to mitigate damage and Holy Dance from my 30+ magic hero then resurrecting him when he got crushed during Shiva's turn and repeating. It also required some luck in not having him cast drain.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

About to start DS2 for the first time. I played DS:O but hit a wall on Day 7 because my character build was just awful- what should I keep in mind this time around? Any best practices to ensure I'm ahead of the curve? I'll definitely be jumping on the Evil Flow bandwagon, but any other advice is appreciated. Also, I know I'm not the first person to post this, but I looked back a while and couldn't find where the previous answers were. Thanks for answering.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Specialization beats generalists. Focus on two stats at most for your MC.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Pick Attack Stat (St, Ma)

Get Attack Stat to 40

Then either pick Agility or Vi and spam it.

That does pretty well for me :S

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So, do most of you actually enjoy DS2, or do you just play it because a) MegaTen, and b) the lack of good SRPGs on DS?

I'm tempted, but the large amounts of "typical Atlus bullshit" comments is making me worried I'll hate it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Oldstench posted:

So, do most of you actually enjoy DS2, or do you just play it because a) MegaTen, and b) the lack of good SRPGs on DS?

I'm tempted, but the large amounts of "typical Atlus bullshit" comments is making me worried I'll hate it.

I thought most people here like the 'typical Atlus bullshit'. I know I do.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Pureauthor posted:

I get that. Maybe it's just that the complaints seemed especially angry; e.g. several people wanting to break their DS because of bullshit bosses and stupid AI issues.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Oldstench posted:

The story sucks, especially compared to DS1, but like you said, hey... new Megaten! :downs:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oldstench posted:

The narrative is great but yea the bullshit is at near nuclear levels in this, since there aren't anymore stupid escort missions, Atlus just replaced them with insanely frustrating end day bosses and human bosses with absurd skillsets. Day 7 the bullshit goes from nuclear to apocalyptic and that's pretty much where I gave up.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
It's really not that bad, I don't know why everyone's having so much trouble. Also, the hard bosses are not hard because they're cheap (USUALLY) and that you need to grind levels, but you need to make smart fusion choices.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cityinthesea posted:

It's really not that bad, I don't know why everyone's having so much trouble. Also, the hard bosses are not hard because they're cheap (USUALLY) and that you need to grind levels, but you need to make smart fusion choices.

I grind till I'm getting 20 exp and its still cheap, same with demon fusions, see its the cheap in the way that even if you do everything right, the boss still has the power to oneshot your entire time.

Example: The first Ronaldo fight.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Oldstench posted:

Not only do I enjoy it, but it's also MegaTen, and there's a lack of good SRPGs on the DS.

Pureauthor posted:

Also, this.

Pretty much for the same reason I like games like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

Pureauthor posted:

Also, this. None of the "roadblocks" encountered are that difficult. You could grind, I guess, but it's not as useful as trying different set-ups and fusing new demons. Keep cracking skills and creating new demons and you should be able to figure out a new strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Oldstench posted:

I don't really care for either DS1 or DS2; DS1 I bought because I thought it might be good and DS2 because it's MegaTen and I'm stupid. It's not fun and it might actually be the first MegaTen game I sell.