Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Does anyone know what kind of eggs these are? Found under a log in Baldwin County, Alabama.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
All the Bearded Dragons I see around here are babies. I heard babies are harder to take care of than adults but I think I can handle it.

I've got my eye on an aquarium at the pet store that has front open doors. I think it might be an Exo Terra aquarium and larger than 40 gallons. It's also at least 245 dollars.

Will keeping a baby in a really big tank stress it out unless I keep the tank simple? I heard paper towels will suffice as substrate. Is that true?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Celery Face posted:

All the Bearded Dragons I see around here are babies. I heard babies are harder to take care of than adults but I think I can handle it.

I've got my eye on an aquarium at the pet store that has front open doors. I think it might be an Exo Terra aquarium and larger than 40 gallons. It's also at least 245 dollars.

Will keeping a baby in a really big tank stress it out unless I keep the tank simple? I heard paper towels will suffice as substrate. Is that true?

If money is an issue, wait until around June (it's only 2-3 more months) and Petco should be doing their $1 per gallon sale again. It won't open in the front, but hell, it's a lot cheaper than $245. :) Unless you really want the open in the front thing.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I really want the open in the front thing and I don't think there is Petco around here. Just Petsmart.

My birthday is also in a week, I could spend the money I get on the tank I want.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a lizard. I have a hat. What else do you want?
:sassargh:SASS2013:sassargh:

Celery Face posted:

They're more skittery when they're small. They can loving bolt when they want and will without much warning. Other than that they're pretty drat easy and DO NOT stay small for very long (see below picture). If you put him in a huge tank just make sure he can find food at feeding time. All else fails take a big piece of cardboard and use it to divide the tank.

You can use paper towels, but they're pretty ugly. We have slate tiles that we picked up at home depot pretty cheap. They're great because when they make a mess you can just take out that tile, scrub it and stick it back in.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Yeah, paper towels are hideous but I want my beardie to not swallow anything harmful like sand. I'll get some tiles.

I'm glad that they grow fast, they look cuter as adults.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Soooo now that he's been here a week, here are some quick photos of my E. Agricolae! I apologize for the slight blur on some, he's so little sometimes the camera won't focus well on him.

He really is a cool little guy, I've been loving every minute of him. :)

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
What a pretty shade of blue! Or is it just the light?

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Celery Face posted:

What a pretty shade of blue! Or is it just the light?

It's actually just the light. He can go anywhere from a really really light greenish like that to a super dark color when he fires up.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
How many crickets will a baby Bearded Dragon eat in a sitting? A day?

It seems cheaper to order them online.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Is there a favorite cricket dusting powder for cresteds amongst goons?

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.

Celery Face posted:

Not to be a downer but did you ever figure out who is going to take care of it when you go away to college? Seems like you were trying to work out the logistics of keeping a snake before. I mean I'm not an expert but you've gone from something that needs to be fed every few days/weeks to a beardie...who needs fresh meals nearly every day.

Just make sure you're not getting ahead of yourself.

In other news my pair of cresteds arrived today. Pictures did not do them justice and they are absolutely more beautiful than I had anticipated. I'll post pictures of them after a week or so while they adjust. I was glad to see them eating tonight.

I also made some hides that I'll take pictures of if anyone in interested. I just fashioned some large bark pieces together and hot glued them into hollow stumps.

Eric and Erik at Mendel Geckos were a joy to work with and I'd highly recommend them, though I don't have experience with other breeders. They were quick to answer emails and I was able to haggle a nice price. They will negotiate heavily on their listed pricing if you see something you like. I got $500 worth of geckos for a little over $300 shipped.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I just got this a few weeks ago to try (I had points to spend! :3: ), I'm liking it a lot so far:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-repti-calcium-with-d3.html

But I might still switch over to this eventually, I like that you can choose the level of D3 you want:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/supercal.html

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I LOVE Rep-cal. Pangea also sells it if you like shopping there:
http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/rep-cal-ultrafine-calcium-with-d3.html

It is super-fine and coats insects very well. Sometimes I'll mix it in with my laying females CGD too.
They have Herptivite as well, which is a multivitamin, great to switch it up every so often. I've even given a little bit to my snakes by dipping mouse butt in it before. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ah, good. That's the stuff I've been using. Calv didn't want to eat his crickets last time so I wanted to be sure it was just him being a dick and not something else.

My hands were wet yesterday while I was handling them. He found the little space between my index finger and my thumb and sat licking it for a bit. :3: And by the way, Greycious, you can't even tell their tails apart anymore.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Repashy's Calcium Plus is great stuff. It has vitamins added as well, but from natural sources so you can dust with it every feeding. It has sort of an apricot flavor to it as well, which my dragons seem to love. My buddy has crested geckos and they go ape poo poo over it.

Repashy also makes a vegetable dusting powder, but what I do with it is take an old salad dressing bottle, add the entire bottle of dusting powder and some water, shake really well and boom, salad dressing. Keep that poo poo in the fridge, squirt some on your rep's favorite greens and he has a gourmet salad.

Celery Face: You were talking earlier about a terrarium. I think you're looking at the Exo Terra 36x18x18, which is a taller than a normal 40 gallon breeder (they go 12" high). That's what I have for my adult dragon and I love it. They're selling them at PetSmart for $179, so you might want to try there.

Look into 18x18 slate or ceramic tiles (you want cleft, not honed). Easy to clean and it will trim his nails down! In the meantime, buy some ZooMed EcoCarpet for your little one. If you get the big terrarium, you'll want to cut a board to use as a divider. In a home that big, the little guy will have trouble finding the crickets.

For that Exo Terra, I'm using a 125w Solar Glo Mercury Vapor Bulb in a Fluker 10" Deep Dome. That will provide heat, UVA and UVB for the dragon. Just make sure his basking perch is no more than 8" from the top of the tank. In my setup the temperature is about 102f at that distance, which is just right. You can also add a Mini Combo Deep Dome with a 60w ZooMed Daylight Blue and Night Red bulb for heat on the other side of the tank. Zilla makes a great digital timer/power strip with day and night plugs for about $40.

A lot of people will tell you that you need a UVB fluorescent bulb, but if you're using a MVB you're fine.

Make sure you mist him with a spray bottle at least once a day and give him shallow warm water baths twice a week. He'll get most of his extra hydration from that. I don't even bother using a water bowl for either of my dragons anymore. Too much of a mess. (They primarily get their hydration from veggies and crickets anyway.) Speaking of veggies, people will tell you that hatchlings need at least 25% greens in their diet, but I've yet to see one that will ever touch it. I'd offer it to him (finely minced in small quantities) but don't be worried if he doesn't eat it.

Here's a great list of what you can and can't feed dragons: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

The big no-no's are beets, chard, broccoli and spinach. These all bind calcium and prevent your beardie from absorbing it. Also never feed it anything bigger than the space between its eyes.

At this stage you should be feeding him at least 10 crickets a day. 5 in the morning, 5 in the evening. If he'll take a few more, let him have them, but never leave them in the tank longer than an hour! Crickets can seriously gently caress dragons up. They will literally eat him to death. They're nasty little motherfuckers.

HATE TROLL TIM fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 29, 2012

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
10 crickets a day? That's perfect! There's a local pet store across the street where I could get them!

I also knew that crickets could be dangerous. We left crickets in the Anole cage and it seemed to stress them out but then again, so did everything else. They were terrible pets anyway.

My little sister uses Rep Cal for her Crestie but I just looked at it and it seems to have been expired for a year...

I was at Petsmart recently, I'll look for the Exo Terra things the next time I'm there.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 29, 2012

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
PetSmart charges 10c a cricket, but my local pet shop charges like 6c, so if you can get them locally it'll be a much better value. Look into getting one of those cricket keepers that has the tubes in them. The crickets will naturally crawl up into the tubes, you can just pull them out and tap the crickets right into the cage.

You can feed the crickets small pieces of cut up potato for hydration and dog food for nutrients, or you can get one of the ready to go cricket foods. Personally, I use Fluker's Orange Cubes. Hydration, food, calcium and vitamins all in one tiny orange cube. If you've got a small cricket keeper and are keeping 50 crickets in it, I'd give them 3 cubes twice a day. That'll keep them plenty fresh, just make sure you refrigerate the bottle to keep it from spoiling.

I forgot to mention, those twice weekly warm water baths will also help your baby shed easier, which he'll be doing a lot. They grow fast!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
My little sister uses the cubes for her crickets too but they happen to be yellow. I also have a small cricket keeper and most of the time, those things are thankfully quiet.

We get the crickets from the local pet shop across the street.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 29, 2012

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
The yellow ones are just water and calcium. You could use those, but I'd provide some dog food as well for nutrients.

Edit: If you wanted to make your own cricket diet on the cheap, grind up some dog food into a fine powder, put it in a jar, add a tablespoon of calcium powder and then pectin and water. It'll basically be cricket-jello! :buddy:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
We take care of a Cocker Spaniel Poodle cross so I got the dog food covered.

I could just share the yellow jello things with my sister and use some dog food with it.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 29, 2012

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Sounds like you're all set then!

While you're looking at enclosures, take a look at these as well: http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/Detail.aspx?id=4499

They have thicker glass and and a larger grated screen compared to the Exo Terra. They're just all around more robust. My local pet shop has them for $179 as well, so you might look into that. (Their 36x18 is 12" high compared to the 18" of the Exo. Doesn't matter that much as dragons need floor space, not height.)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I'm interested in those orange cubes. I've never seen them before. How long would a 12 oz jar of those last if I'm generally buying 30 crickets every Sunday?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Devo posted:

I'm interested in those orange cubes. I've never seen them before. How long would a 12 oz jar of those last if I'm generally buying 30 crickets every Sunday?

You'd be feeding them about 4 cubes a day, so a 12oz jar should last you well over a month. They retail for about $12, so for the ease and convenience of just dropping a couple of ready to go cubes in every day, I think it's well worth it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Yeah that sounds pretty good. Right now I'm just grinding up some Cheerios and throwing a soaked apple or potato slice in there every day. This way is probably more nutritious.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The Exo Terra you mentioned has front open doors right? For me, that's important since I don't want to deal with the lights and everything every time I need/want to open the tank?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Devo posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty good. Right now I'm just grinding up some Cheerios and throwing a soaked apple or potato slice in there every day. This way is probably more nutritious.

Cubes are a lot less messy to clean up every week. They just shrivel up and dump right out of the cricket keeper when I add new crickets. Very hygienic!

Celery Face posted:

The Exo Terra you mentioned has front open doors right? For me, that's important since I don't want to deal with the lights and everything every time I need/want to open the tank?

Yeah, it has swinging doors. The Tetra Fauna has sliding doors.

I also forgot to mention something about the slate tiles. If you get 18x18 tiles, you'll need to cut 1" off the top and a 1/2" off one side. The inside dimensions of the Exo Terra are 35x17. Lowes, Home Depot or any floor shop should be able to do this for you.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Speaking of feeder insect diet, has anyone tried the Repashy Bug Burger? I think I'm going to try it out next time I make a big reptile order, I met someone at a show who told me it was great, but I'd love some other opinions.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

hypnotoad posted:

Speaking of feeder insect diet, has anyone tried the Repashy Bug Burger? I think I'm going to try it out next time I make a big reptile order, I met someone at a show who told me it was great, but I'd love some other opinions.

I was going to pick some up tomorrow at my pet shop. I'll let you know how it works.

Cultured Snail
Sep 19, 2006
tasteful

hypnotoad posted:

It works fine but gets expensive if you're rearing an entire B. dubia colony like I am. Stuff is gone in minutes. Would work fine for smaller numbers of bugs though.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shachi posted:

Not to be a downer but did you ever figure out who is going to take care of it when you go away to college? Seems like you were trying to work out the logistics of keeping a snake before. I mean I'm not an expert but you've gone from something that needs to be fed every few days/weeks to a beardie...who needs fresh meals nearly every day.

Just make sure you're not getting ahead of yourself.

Seconding this. Beardies are a lot more work and expense than snakes.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Cultured Snail posted:

[Bugburger] works fine but gets expensive if you're rearing an entire B. dubia colony like I am. Stuff is gone in minutes. Would work fine for smaller numbers of bugs though.

I have anecdotal evidence that people like it for feeding breeding colonies of microfauna, specifically the larger isopods most of you know as potato or pill bugs. For larger insects (in physical size or quantity) it could definitely get pricey.

Cultured Snail
Sep 19, 2006
tasteful

nesbit37 posted:

I have anecdotal evidence that people like it for feeding breeding colonies of microfauna, specifically the larger isopods most of you know as potato or pill bugs. For larger insects (in physical size or quantity) it could definitely get pricey.

For sure - I've got 2 different isopod colonies and it worked fine for them - I guess I am just lazy/cheap and prefer to toss in scraps from breakfast, haha.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
So I've been handling my ball python lately and hearing a "whistling" noise. Now I'm aware that ball pythons can develop respiratory infections, however he doesn't have any symptoms such as mucus in the nose, and isn't open mouth breathing. I think since his belly is a little pink, he's getting ready to shed and its just a piece of dead skin in his nostril. However, what do you guys think? Should I take him to the vet anyway? There has not been any other problems, he's eating normally, not "yawning" or anything like that, so I don't want to start freaking out if this is normal. If there is cause for alarm I will take him to the vet.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I wouldn't freak out off the top, but personally I would take him to get looked at. I'd much rather have the vet laugh at me for being paranoid than have a dead buddy.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~

SpaceBees posted:

So I've been handling my ball python lately and hearing a "whistling" noise. Now I'm aware that ball pythons can develop respiratory infections, however he doesn't have any symptoms such as mucus in the nose, and isn't open mouth breathing. I think since his belly is a little pink, he's getting ready to shed and its just a piece of dead skin in his nostril. However, what do you guys think? Should I take him to the vet anyway? There has not been any other problems, he's eating normally, not "yawning" or anything like that, so I don't want to start freaking out if this is normal. If there is cause for alarm I will take him to the vet.

This happens to mine every time she's about to shed and I have a minor panic attack until I check the humidity for the zillionth time, watch her like a hawk to see if she's stargazing, and sticking my face absurdly close to her nose to try and find any trace of excess snot. Then I check her belly or notice she's kind of dull and I'm like, :doh:. Then again, mine has had an URI so I know what she looks like with one. I would guess it's nothing to worry about, but that's just me!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Cultured Snail posted:

It works fine but gets expensive if you're rearing an entire B. dubia colony like I am. Stuff is gone in minutes. Would work fine for smaller numbers of bugs though.

Yeah, this. I kind of like it but I probably won't re-order it. Just too much $ for not enough roach food.

I made my own thing the other day I called "Roach gruel" that they went nuts for. A small amount of CGD, handful of fresh Kale, handful of oats, handful of tortoise pellets. Add water and blend. Pour on flat lid for roaches to go insane for.

Freeze the rest in small portion-sized cups (although next time I'm going to just use an ice cube tray).

Was fun, lasted all week, super healthy for the roaches, and very in expensive since I just used things on-hand to make it.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Joonami posted:

This happens to mine every time she's about to shed and I have a minor panic attack until I check the humidity for the zillionth time, watch her like a hawk to see if she's stargazing, and sticking my face absurdly close to her nose to try and find any trace of excess snot. Then I check her belly or notice she's kind of dull and I'm like, :doh:. Then again, mine has had an URI so I know what she looks like with one. I would guess it's nothing to worry about, but that's just me!

He's definitely about to shed. Just checked and there is some dead skin starting to peel and his belly is pink. My temps/humidity are fine. I'm glad I'm the only one that doesn't have a minor panic attack when this happens though. For future reference, the signs of a real RI are mucus and open mouth breathing, right? Aside from a mite infestation from some bad bedding which I killed, this snake has never had any problems. Eats well, is healthy, etc.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~

SpaceBees posted:

He's definitely about to shed. Just checked and there is some dead skin starting to peel and his belly is pink. My temps/humidity are fine. I'm glad I'm the only one that doesn't have a minor panic attack when this happens though. For future reference, the signs of a real RI are mucus and open mouth breathing, right? Aside from a mite infestation from some bad bedding which I killed, this snake has never had any problems. Eats well, is healthy, etc.

Yes, Snickers was stargazing way more than "that corner reminds me, I'm hungry!" and breathing with her mouth open (very, very weird). Luckily her appetite has been normal (for a BP, anyway) since then, and that was over 2 years ago :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
After all the talk yesterday of dragon setups, I thought I'd share what I've got my baby in. I think this is pretty much the ideal setup.

I had to put black paper up on the left side there, because my sub-adult dragon in the cage next to his was going loving nuts and it was freaking the baby out. He really wanted to eat him.

HATE TROLL TIM fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 30, 2012

• Locked thread