Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Paragon8 posted:

window light is OP. needs a nerf.

Styling crit - either just a bra or just the vest top. Both is a bit cluttered.

not sure what your first sentance means :O haha

Agreed about the styling crit but she's not a model and I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable (these were the first couple of shots). It got better afterwards :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I met an Italian guy who swears none of his family is from Scotland.

And a Danish girl who definitely looks the part.

xenilk posted:

not sure what your first sentance means :O haha

Window light is overpowered and needs to be toned down ;) Though I haven't been giving critique, I just want to say that I've been enjoying your shots here, and am glad you're so prolific.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

haha, I was just using gamer speak to say that the window light is awesome but needs to be nerfed because it makes all other light bad in comparison!

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Been having too much fun with these ball pit balls

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

sw1gger posted:

That's so cool! Love the colors and feel. Great idea, props :)

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I met an Italian guy who swears none of his family is from Scotland.

Looooove the framing and tones on that one :) And thank you, I'm very thankful that it's going so well.

As for moi.. done with the retouching of a my first outdoor shoot with an umbrella!

IMG_1586 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1599 by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 26, 2012

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

xenilk posted:

As for moi.. done with the retouching of a my first outdoor shoot with an umbrella!

IMG_1586 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1599 by avoyer, on Flickr

The processing in both of these is top notch, subtle but strong.

In regards to the lighting, for your first time it's certainly commendable. From the looks of it, you only used one light. I feel you may have been better served with something as a fill or perhaps a hair light.

I prefer the top photo. The second photo's pose is a little crotchy - Personally, I don't like seeing the bottoms of feet, either.

What were these for?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
I did a shoot last week for a model friend who is working on getting his portfolio book done. Was good for me as I don't get a chance to do a lot of people work but I really need to get better at it and show potential clients good examples.

So critique is greatly appreciated. Going to be doing another session on Friday.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

This one is not bad, though it's really busy, needs to be more separation of the model from the background.

This is the best shot by far. Personally I'd lighten it a little and burn the background a bit for some scene contrast.

Harsh light, lost expression, and his jacket is hanging loose. Ditch it.

I think this would work better if you shot from a little bit lower and further back.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

mysticp posted:

I would try and rework the color temperatures/exposure to match. The second has a bar going through his head, you could possibly remove that in post. He looks very cramped in number four. If that's a crop I would give him a bit more room.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

^^^^ Great critique.

Also, the last shot where he's sitting I think it might be better in BW since there's a lot of mixed colors/lights in the background, but that's just me.

sw1gger posted:

The processing in both of these is top notch, subtle but strong.

In regards to the lighting, for your first time it's certainly commendable. From the looks of it, you only used one light. I feel you may have been better served with something as a fill or perhaps a hair light.

I prefer the top photo. The second photo's pose is a little crotchy - Personally, I don't like seeing the bottoms of feet, either.

What were these for?

First off, thank you! :)

Yes I used one light only (umbrella with a yongnuo 585ex). I think next time I'll use a reflector, do you think that could work as a fill?

They weren't used for anything, Olivier is an acquaintance and I thought he had a neat sense of style so I asked him if I could practice my night shots with him. He has no modeling background whatsoever (I find that I enjoy working with people who never modeled before even tho it's challenging/frustrating at times ha ha).

On a personal note I find it harder to pose people at night since I have trouble seeing the expressions/eyes when there's barely any light on the subject. I'll need to stick to places where the ambient light is better.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
Nothing screams high fashion like a paraplegic in the background.

Honestly, they are all a bit bland for my tastes, though I feel they all have the potential to be good. #3 is my personal favorite (if we're talking about an actual fashion picture versus a nice portrait of a model), though the exposure and skin tones need serious reworking.

Someone above mentioned about #1 how the model fails to be separated from the background. Part of that is the empty space you have at the top of the steps. You essentially created a platform without a subject.

Edit: Oh and to answer the poster above me - yeah a reflector would most likely have done the trick. I don't think I've ever really shot at night, though.

Double Edit: To be more specific, the reflector would have worked well for a fill, but I doubt it would be strong enough to create a good hair light. Maybe, though?

sw1gger fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 26, 2012

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Waiting to hear back from my model. Come on lady!! Respond! I had some good replies but I really want this one in particular. She has a great look and, equally important, experience! So I am hoping to hear back from her soon so that I can shoot this weekend. I have everything planned. Don't want to contact my back-ups just yet in case my main model says yes.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Mannequin posted:

Waiting to hear back from my model. Come on lady!! Respond! I had some good replies but I really want this one in particular. She has a great look and, equally important, experience! So I am hoping to hear back from her soon so that I can shoot this weekend. I have everything planned. Don't want to contact my back-ups just yet in case my main model says yes.

You should give your current portfolio to agencies, they are often looking for photographers to do test shoots with their models. Win/win :) Hope it works out for your model!

Here are some of mine.

IMG_1726 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1746 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1737 by avoyer, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
I've been checking in here a lot but just not had a chance to make a proper post. That situation has not changed :) it's full days in the studio then full evenings of being a dad / post processing.

I just wanted to chuck in one photo because I'm having much, much fun with my new kit. Excited for the editorial I have tomorrow, hopefully will get to bust out some ace portraits.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Gazmachine posted:

I've been checking in here a lot but just not had a chance to make a proper post. That situation has not changed :) it's full days in the studio then full evenings of being a dad / post processing.

I just wanted to chuck in one photo because I'm having much, much fun with my new kit. Excited for the editorial I have tomorrow, hopefully will get to bust out some ace portraits.

Thats one handsome set of eyeballs.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Gazmachine posted:

I kept scrolling up trying to see above the crop. I think you took a little too much off the forehead area and hair.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Do any of you use ModelMayhem to find models? If so I'd like to pick your brain. For instance, I'm trying to put together a TFCD shoot for this weekend. I posted a casting call on Sunday and got about 12 responses over the span of 2 days, which I was pretty happy with. But from the responses I got I really only wanted to work with 2 models. The rest looked very inexperienced or just didn't have the right look, so I kind of ruled them out. (I am at a point where I am specifically looking for somebody with experience.)

I hesitated in responding to the girl I really wanted to work with because I was curious to see who else might reply, and although she messaged me directly and said she was interested she's now not responding to me. (I hate it when women stand me up! :argh: ) I think my initial delay in responding to her put her off and now she's not interested. Or maybe she has plans, who knows. Anyway, I went to my second choice but she is going out of town for the weekend so she's unavailable. I then went to my backups, the ones I really wasn't considering, and so far only one has responded. I'm not really thrilled with the one who responded in terms of her looks and experience, but maybe I need to just make the best out of it. If I can get anyone for this weekend it will probably be her.

I don't have strict ideas for the shoot... just that I know I want to work in 2 or 3 particular locations in the city. (I will be providing transportation between these locations in the city). My sister will be my assistant and do various jobs on the set. She's also very fashion-oriented and has some great ideas and can think of things I will not think of, so I think she will be very helpful to me. I'm not using any lights. But I don't have any written plans for the shots. I am used to doing things in a very improvised way and that is what I plan on doing for this shoot -- making it up as I go along. This terrifies me a little but also gives me freedom. I'm not restricted to anything.

So what do you think about all this? Do any of you have opinions? I'm curious to hear any feedback.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Mannequin posted:

Do any of you use ModelMayhem to find models?

You could've just ended after that sentence and the scenario would have been the same. ModelMayhem models (and, sadly, many photographers) are notoriously flakey. The few times I've used MM to schedule a model, I've had to start conversations with a dozen people to eventually get to one person who will actually show up for a scheduled shoot. It's a frustrating pain in the rear end, but you get what you pay for.

e: What I mean is, don't overanalyze how you communicated or planned or get down on yourself for doing something wrong. That's just the way ModelMayhem works.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Thanks for the advice. I know that models are known to be flaky, and I pretty much hate almost everything that's on ModelMayhem, from the photographers to the models. With that said, I know there are some legitimate models and photographers who do good work who happen to be there, and there aren't many other resources for people like me, so... what can I do.

I ended up searching for models in NY who were "experienced" or "very experienced" and messaged 3 of them with a link to my casting call. 2 got back to me right away and said they were interested for this Sunday! So I'm thrilled. I'm going to book it right away and confirm them. One is free in the morning and one in the afternoon/evening, so I'll try and do two shoots. What the hell.

Now I'm excited, butt still scared because I don't have anything specifically planned. This is either going to end really well or really badly. I just hope the model can kind of help in a way, "do her thing" and I can just be the photographer and will get ideas on the spot and inspiration from my surroundings. Maybe my sister can help too. Hmm. I may go in the day before and scout out specific areas and write down specific ideas so that I have fallback material.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Mannequin posted:

Thanks for the advice. I know that models are known to be flaky, and I pretty much hate almost everything that's on ModelMayhem, from the photographers to the models. With that said, I know there are some legitimate models and photographers who do good work who happen to be there, and there aren't many other resources for people like me, so... what can I do.

I ended up searching for models in NY who were "experienced" or "very experienced" and messaged 3 of them with a link to my casting call. 2 got back to me right away and said they were interested for this Sunday! So I'm thrilled. I'm going to book it right away and confirm them. One is free in the morning and one in the afternoon/evening, so I'll try and do two shoots. What the hell.

Now I'm excited, butt still scared because I don't have anything specifically planned. This is either going to end really well or really badly. I just hope the model can kind of help in a way, "do her thing" and I can just be the photographer and will get ideas on the spot and inspiration from my surroundings. Maybe my sister can help too. Hmm. I may go in the day before and scout out specific areas and write down specific ideas so that I have fallback material.

Yeah, I would recommend going in with some sort of plan. Even if you get there and inspiration hits and you go in a different direction, so be it. At least you won't be scrounging for ideas and wasting your time, your sister's time and the models' time. Chances are once you get in front of a model you might be a bit flustered trying to get everything right, and having a plan will reduce that by a lot.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I'm not too worried about wasting people's time. I am good at thinking on my feet and have had a lot of practice with my street portraits and giving people direction. But I definitely agree that a plan is a good idea. And instead of worrying about specific shots I should probably think of themes or ideas, even if it's something stupid like "having fun in the city", and then the shots will come naturally based on the theme. I need to be more creative than that, though. Well, I still have time to think about it.

Edit: Would it be out of line to ask for a model release? I found a generic one here.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 29, 2012

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Relax, we've all seen your pictures here and you will do absolutely great :)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mannequin posted:

I'm not too worried about wasting people's time. I am good at thinking on my feet and have had a lot of practice with my street portraits and giving people direction. But I definitely agree that a plan is a good idea. And instead of worrying about specific shots I should probably think of themes or ideas, even if it's something stupid like "having fun in the city", and then the shots will come naturally based on the theme. I need to be more creative than that, though. Well, I still have time to think about it.

Edit: Would it be out of line to ask for a model release? I found a generic one here.

That isn't a very fair release for the model. You're expecting someone to give up a lot for pictures. The advertising line is especially out of order.

Model Mayhem in major cities is especially bad because every decent girl will be signed to an agency already.

With MM you have to make it as easy as possible to reduce the chances of a flake - are you using a makeup artist? It might be worth compromising your vision at least to begin with. Reduce it to one location maybe and include the model as much as you can. Think of it as more of a collaboration at this point - if you have to book to back up your work then you can be more picky and demanding, but starting out you have to make allowances.

Think in the model's shoes and make it as good a proposition for her as you can. She knows that she isn't guaranteed to get good images. Is it an early start? Does she have to travel far?

Model Mayhem is awful and you have to be supremely lucky to get a decent shoot out of it or put a lot of time into it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Frankly I don't use model release for TFCD shoots. I just explain to the models that without written permission from the other party neither of us can sell unreleased images. Since the shoot is just for my portfolio it really doesn't matter.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I've about given up on MM by itself. I use it as a way to show models that I'm not a total beginner, and as a way to see what other people are up to, but it ranks below craigslist in terms of sketchiness and wasted time.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Been stupid busy lately and haven't had a chance to edit all of my recent shoots, but here are a couple. First is a friend of mine, you may recognize her because I use her a lot. Second was from another group shoot, it was her first time modeling.

IMG_1466_bw by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_1510 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

I'm watching the Sue Bryce cl and looking back I can see a ton of no nos so hopefully I can put her tips and rules to good use!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I have a big personal work studio shoot coming up next week. So nervous about it falling apart that I've almost been in a perpetual state of nausea.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 31, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

Been stupid busy lately and haven't had a chance to edit all of my recent shoots, but here are a couple. First is a friend of mine, you may recognize her because I use her a lot. Second was from another group shoot, it was her first time modeling.

IMG_1510 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

I'm watching the Sue Bryce cl and looking back I can see a ton of no nos so hopefully I can put her tips and rules to good use!

Shoot her more :) And yeah, Sue Bryce's shop was awesome.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Was she on again?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Clown posted:

Was she on again?

No no, ha ha. This weekend is a Lightroom class :)

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xenilk posted:

Shoot her more :) And yeah, Sue Bryce's shop was awesome.

Yeah she has a fantastic face. I'd love to work more with her, so stay tuned!

I just find Sue Bryce incredibly inspiring and a great teacher. I'm watching a video of her and I can understand exactly what she means and actually put her words to use. First time I've found a video that informative.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Gazmachine posted:

There is far too much crazy hair happening here. You need to get a hair stylist for this sort of shot in order to keep flyaways under control.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

McMadCow posted:

There is far too much crazy hair happening here. You need to get a hair stylist for this sort of shot in order to keep flyaways under control.

This was a shot from a set of reference images for a hair and make up school, for some MUA's learning hair and make up.

Sadly for this one, this was also their final week (basically a kind of week long exam). At least they can see exactly where they went wrong :) hah

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Finaly got my studio set up, friends daughter and her BFF came along for a test shoot.

I know it might seem a bit basic, but these are the shots that make the moneys!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

AceClown posted:

Finaly got my studio set up, friends daughter and her BFF came along for a test shoot.

I know it might seem a bit basic, but these are the shots that make the moneys!
It's all generally good but there's something off about the skin tones, like it's desaturated and and faintly yellow.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

alkanphel posted:

It's all generally good but there's something off about the skin tones, like it's desaturated and and faintly yellow.

Yeah, I was having skin tone problems with the first couple I processed, turns out it was a WB dropper thing.

Think I got it sorted now.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I did a few shots with a friend the other day, I don't normally shoot people but all things considered I think I ended up getting a few good shots. There are a couple more I posted in PAD too.

Untitled by trip9, on Flickr

I know I need to get rid of those stray hairs in the right of the frame :-/

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

sw1gger posted:

I was just looking at some bts shots from Brooke Shaden's last workshop. This looks pretty much exactly like her setup. Were you there, or were you just inspired by that? Just curious :)

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

CarrotFlowers posted:

I was just looking at some bts shots from Brooke Shaden's last workshop. This looks pretty much exactly like her setup. Were you there, or were you just inspired by that? Just curious :)

That was my shoot :] (at the workshop we were given 2 hours to do our own shoot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

sw1gger posted:

That was my shoot :] (at the workshop we were given 2 hours to do our own shoot)

Ahh, nice. It turned out well! How did you find the rest of the workshop?