Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfkr jones
Dec 29, 2011
Is this still a 'thing'?

Been out of EQ1 for since the week before Serpent's Spine launched and played a myriad of other games since (EQ2, EvE, Others), but I'd love to get back into it either on Luclin starting fresh or on FV if there are any fellow goons out that way. I already re-subbed, and have started running around the tutorial on Luclin with a mini-Necro; Itemization seems to be a bit better with the 'defiant' bits dropping randomly now.

On FV:
-80 Max'd AA 2.0 Cleric
-70ish 500 AA Warrior
-65 Mage, Druid, Bard

Luclin:
-Scrub Newbie Necro Darryn

I read that Enchanters are mostly useless now, except for high end raiding; is there any demand for casters anymore?

Any need for specific classes?

Most importantly, aside from generally abusing Mercenaries, is there a decent community sub-max level? Or is it much the same EQ with a 1 - 35 crowd, a 60 - 70 Crowd, and a max level crowd?

mfkr jones fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I decided that I'm going to, over time, visit all the zones from each expansion in order, starting with Luclin. I've already visited a lot of the Luclin ones since I started back up, but I'll probably spend a little more time in the ones I missed before moving on. Going by expansion will help me hopefully learn a lot more about the game and catch up on what all I missed. I am a content whore, after all.

Reading through wikipedia about features per expac, I did have some questions regarding all the new stuff that's been added, and just general comments:

-LDON instances - can me and merc zone into them? Is there any level restriction? With the different "ways" to do the instances, do they generally have a "dungeon crawl" way?

-There much value in the tribute system?

-Does anyone do monster missions anymore? CAN you still do them? Can you do them solo?

-What's up with charms? Any in particular I should look at as a monk?

-Evolving items, those used anymore?

-Housing trophies? Any actual worthwhile things to do there? poo poo I don't even have a house.

-I see people playing beastlords, but drat, noone plays bezerker.

-What the hell is a power source

-Raiding pirate vessels? Bwah?

-SoD sounds awesome. Like Cavern of Time from WoW.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

mfkr jones posted:

Is this still a 'thing'?

Luclin:
-Scrub Newbie Necro Darryn

I read that Enchanters are mostly useless now, except for high end raiding; is there any demand for casters anymore?

Any need for specific classes?

Most importantly, aside from generally abusing Mercenaries, is there a decent community sub-max level? Or is it much the same EQ with a 1 - 35 crowd, a 60 - 70 Crowd, and a max level crowd?

It certainly is a 'thing' judging by the goon activity! Send a tell to a guild member if you want an invite.

Casters other than enchanters will provide lots of fun, and if you're looking to group or raid, they will be welcome, as far as I know it. Necros aren't just mana twitchers and magicians aren't just mod rod bots, at all.

No need for anything specific since we don't raid, play what you like.

There's no big community at low levels, but starting around lvl 60 where the xp slows down a tad, grouping happens. Remember that 1-60 is lightning fast now and there are 95 levels, so it's natural that it is that way.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

-LDON instances - can me and merc zone into them? Is there any level restriction? With the different "ways" to do the instances, do they generally have a "dungeon crawl" way?
Not sure, but I know all regular missions require at least 3 people, and mercs count
-There much value in the tribute system?
Not much, they're tiny minor buffs and imo not worth the hassle when just levelling and questing. But still, if you have some no drop item you will destroy anyway, chuck it at the tribute master (if they will accept it), you might as well
-Does anyone do monster missions anymore? CAN you still do them? Can you do them solo?
I don't think many people do the old ones, but we did one the other day that was brand new with the anniversary. Required 6 real people AFAIK
-What's up with charms? Any in particular I should look at as a monk?
They're just an extra item with stats, but many of them have weird clauses like "improves during the night", or "increases with your throwing skill". IMO, the best are the ones that are stable, like increase with a certain skill that's going to be fixed, or have minor penalties, like a charm I have that increases in power the less people are in the zone.
-Evolving items, those used anymore?
It was a bit of a gimmick I believe. There are tradeskill trophies that evolve
-Housing trophies? Any actual worthwhile things to do there? poo poo I don't even have a house.
A tiny, minor stat increase as far as I gather
-I see people playing beastlords, but drat, noone plays bezerker.
I read they have low utility, and no spells... might as well play a ranger, SK or monk if you like melee dps and some utility.
-What the hell is a power source
Read this: http://www.necrotalk.com/showthread.php?t=10382
Huh?
-SoD sounds awesome. Like Cavern of Time from WoW.

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

xZAOx posted:

I love LDoN :swoon:

Yes, you can zone into an LDoN instance with a mercenary.

The difficulty of the instance is determined by the average level of your group and whether or not you choose normal or high risk. There is a 15-level maximum difference between players in the group, a level 90 maximum group average, and a 3-player minimum to get an instance. The maximum difficulty is level 65 because they are too lazy to update them for higher levels. You can use an offline player in your group to bring your level average down, as an offline player is counted as level 0. Logged-out characters also works for requesting LDoN raids

A dungeon crawl is really the only way to do the instance, but there won't be respawns behind you. The different modes you can select for an adventure just decide exactly what your goal is inside the instance. You'll clear them all pretty much the same way.

Mob count: Kill X amount of mobs
Rescue: Locate an NPC in the instance and lead it back to the entrance
Boss: Locate and kill a named mob in the instance
Collection: Loot X amount of items from mobs

I have encountered bugs with collection (though not since the early days, rarely the mobs just didn't drop enough items), and with boss and rescue missions (rarely the necessary NPC just doesn't spawn)

There is a 45 minute lockout on adventures, so if you finish too quickly, you will be forced to wait to request another one.
edit: 45 minutes from the time you requested your adventure before you can request another one. Not from the time you finish.

LDoN adventures are good for the couple of type 3 augmentations mentioned earlier in the thread, and if you use tribute, the named mobs drop some pretty high tribute value items. Increasing the power of the adventure stone isn't really worth it these days, as there are charm slot augmentations from later expansions that are easier to get than a maxed out adventure stone

486 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 29, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

Huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest:_The_Buried_Sea

quote:

It features over 60 new raids and group missions and allows characters to raid pirate vessels.

So, I'm guessing "raid pirate vessels" was just some specific missions?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I think others covered most of the questions, but a couple things to add:

First, everyone who has a soul needs to do the Braaaains Monster Mission from the zombie just outside rivervale in Kithicor. It takes at least 5 people to succeed, but it's the greatest hour of EQ you will ever experience. You all become zombies and rampage through an instance of Rivervale killing all the halflings and eating their brains to raise zombie pets. By the end, you're a shambling horde of 30+ zombies chomping on halflings while they /shout hilarious poo poo

Second - I recently found out the true reason nobody plays a zerker is not only their lack of utility, but the fact they're entirely balanced around their discs and ADPS. On a raid when burning, they are vastly insane and hit well over 100k DPS. In groups without massive buffs and not able to use discs on every fight, their DPS is approximately equivalent to that of a warrior. Yes, their sustained is warrior level.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

xZAOx posted:

Oh god no, not unless you want to for some reason. His resolution seems low (most everyone can do 19x12 these days, I'd assume), and if you use different UI mods (many of us use Savok, linked in the OP), some of those windows get smaller. You can also make them partially transparent, which makes more of the game world come through. I think a few pages back some people posted screenshots of their UI.

It's a low (max) resolution on a small laptop screen. All the UI elements except for the target window are about as small as I can find. If it was using default, window borders would eat up about 10% more screen space.

As for the 4 text boxes, 50 hotkeys and 40 buffs, that's all about normal.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
Now I am torn. I played the Free warrior for a few hours today. I can't believe how much I have forgotten and just how enjoyable and low stress it really was.

Back to my query however, with long term play in mind, would a shammy or bard be my best bet? I remember the fun bard twists and pulling used to be on small scale (see ldon) but I then remember how boring raids were for them. I then recall just how manditory a raid shaman was and how powerful.

From the leveling standpoint am I right to think both will power through pretty fast with the "MOLO" idea?

Just wondering before I pull the trigger for paying and start really levelling up :)

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Sgt Froggy posted:

Now I am torn. I played the Free warrior for a few hours today. I can't believe how much I have forgotten and just how enjoyable and low stress it really was.

Back to my query however, with long term play in mind, would a shammy or bard be my best bet? I remember the fun bard twists and pulling used to be on small scale (see ldon) but I then remember how boring raids were for them. I then recall just how manditory a raid shaman was and how powerful.

From the leveling standpoint am I right to think both will power through pretty fast with the "MOLO" idea?

Just wondering before I pull the trigger for paying and start really levelling up :)

I'm not saying "Don't pick bard" and I'm not implying that half the bards in the guild will be playing "long term", but I will say that we have a metric fuckton of bards in the guild. Both boxed and mained. At one point over last weekend I think we had 10+ bards online at one time.

The problem with both bard and shaman is they are both VERY popular box classes, and since boxing gets you an extra free merc these days.... Lots of people box.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
Quit about a decade ago with my mage. Decided to give a gnome warrior a shot. I always did spellcasters and I'm too cheap to pay money, so in with a Silver account.

Do you think this is a viable thing to play and not get completely hosed in the upper levels?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Bard and Shaman are boht extremely powerful and also extremely slow to solo at lower levels/AAs. Neither puts out great DPS alone, and both needs either a tank or cleric merc as their merc, so kills/min are pretty low solo. Also, half the guild is bards and shaman, if that factors into your decision at all. They're both still killer though, so play what you want instead of playing "the best thing" then quitting because you're bored :)

Warriors are totally viable as long as you don't mind the tank aspect: most gear dependent, AA dependent, and camp dependent class in the game. By 80, you'll need full current gear, 1500+ AA, and a full set of AC augs you've camped in order to compete with mercenary tanks. That said, I LOVE my SK and all of the work just makes me feel like a king. It's easily 3-4x as much work to be a useful tank than any other class, though, and the more you put off the AA grind, the harder it gets to catch up. Most groups won't take you if you're not already geared/AAd, since you can't tank for them (goon groups not included maybe!)

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Sgt Froggy posted:

Back to my query however, with long term play in mind, would a shammy or bard be my best bet?

Given that both classes have a lot of utility when it comes to group support, I'd say the biggest debate would be shammy healing vs. bard pulling, for you. If the other box is going to be a Warrior, that bard pulling and crowd control ability might be hard to ignore.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Bard can also slow-ish, whereas sham can't pull or CC-ish. Really all you'd be missing are the shaman's buffs, which you can snag in GL before you head out

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Sgt Froggy posted:

Don't pick a bard. There are like 6 70+ bards in the guild who I don't see quitting in a while, and not to mention the casual bros in their 30's. Bards don't really scale well after two, and that means you would be making people feel super left out, or YOU would be feeling super left out, after the other bards get picked before you! Now with that said, there are a bunch of really fun classes that maybe you should take a look at, I like Rangers, necros, and druids. I also like Beast lords, but I know other people don't. If you end up picking a bard anyway, we aren't bros.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, you definitely shouldn't pick a bard because a guild of people who have quickly ruined their reputations on the server already have too many of them.

If on the other hand you're actually wanting to play and not act like a loving idiot bard is a great class currently and you'll almost always find groups.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, pick the class you want to play basically, even if there are 80 of them currently playing amongst the goon crowd. Playing whatever is fun for you still matters more in the end than anything else.

The337th fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 29, 2012

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

xZAOx posted:

:yarr:

Yeah, just some (crappy) missions no one ever did, despite raids clearly being implied before the expansion launched. They're even more useless now because the currency you'd receive would be used to purchase rank 1 TBS spells, which are now sold on the spell vendor in PoK. On the bright side, a lot of the Katta missions and the Solteris raids in that expansion were pretty fun.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

And if you're looking at raiding, high end guilds always want more bards. Seriously, we can never get enough of them.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

The TBS Pirate stuff was also a terrible case of marketing buzz hyping something that was absolutely not noteworthy. "Ship-to-Ship Combat!!!" was a big expansion feature noted at the time, people got excited, people then played some instances where they did nothing more innovative than going to Dulak's Harbor and killing stuff on the boats there.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
Many thanks for the good info. I remember back forever ago being the only pally and wishing that I was a (fill in the blank) for raids. He did everything well enough but never the top of any role.

After one night of play getting to 20, I will most likely dabble around until I find just exactly what suits me. I will, most likely, try something by way of a pure caster next. I ended up with a ton of the cloth defiant gear, and I never played anything in a dress the first time. Should be interesting at least.

Which brings me to my next question, should I wait on redeeming legacy gear? I dont want to waste it if I will be toon hopping.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

298298 posted:

Yeah, you definitely shouldn't pick a bard because a guild of people who have quickly ruined their reputations on the server already have too many of them.

If on the other hand you're actually wanting to play and not act like a loving idiot bard is a great class currently and you'll almost always find groups.

I'm not sure what the first half of this has to do with his question whatsoever, but it's a nonissue anyway. Should any respectable Fearboner decide he wishes to leave our dirty, tarnished guild (nobody except the general chat mega-pubbie guilds even knows who we are) with his reputation intact, you can just change your name now and tell whatever raid guild you want to join that you're a transfer from some other server. Problem solved :sax: Alternately, you can do what 298298 did and just pay chinese people on another server to PL you so you feel important. Now can we all stop attempting to introduce drama into a thread on a 13 year old game?

We do have a lot of bards, but only like 2 of them are mains. The rest are just our boxes, so if you want to be a bard, be a bard. They're pretty badass and get all sorts of fun poo poo.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
I think I might hop on the EQ1 boat again for a little while. Going to try to log in tonight if I get out of work early enough. Are Wizards still played basically the same as they've always been? Having a tough time deciding between wizard and ranger.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Toxx posted:

I think I might hop on the EQ1 boat again for a little while. Going to try to log in tonight if I get out of work early enough. Are Wizards still played basically the same as they've always been? Having a tough time deciding between wizard and ranger.

I stopped playing my wizard in Underfoot but I remember it being pretty straight-forward. I would alternate the wildmagics and smaller/medium nukes, use ethers on GoM procs, concussions and mind crash type stuff to stay below the tank on the hate list, and all the spires/twincasts/devastation on burns.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Rangers are really really cool these days. They have a TON of variety, great DPS, plus the most broken quick-experience skill in the game that lets them one-shot xp giving mobs. Both classes are pretty rear end kickin' righteous these days though

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

486 posted:

I love LDoN :swoon:

Awesome, gonna have to try them out. Are they molo'able at 70 (if I get someone to ghost in the group)?

Too bad the exp apparently blows.

lemonslol posted:

Don't pick a bard.

SAYS A BARD! Hah! :)

Toxx posted:

While I don't play as a wizzie, I can tell you one thing that affects them. I don't know when you last played, but there's a 30 second "out of combat" timer now. When that's done, health, mana, and endurance all regen really fast. So your ability to empty your mana bar and regen it back up is greatly increased. If my endurance is empty, I can just sit out 1-2 fights and then it's back full (30 seconds to get out of combat, then about 1 minute to regend it back to 100%).

You stay out of combat even if your group is engaged. Just don't engage yourself.

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

xZAOx posted:

Awesome, gonna have to try them out. Are they molo'able at 70 (if I get someone to ghost in the group)?

You'll get the most points per adventure with a group average level over 65, so maybe get a third person of your level to join the group from the lobby or something. It should be doable with current gear, and easier if you drop your group average level. If you use an offline or something as your third, the instance will be a joke, grey cons.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

486 posted:

You'll get the most points per adventure with a group average level over 65, so maybe get a third person of your level to join the group from the lobby or something. It should be doable with current gear, and easier if you drop your group average level. If you use an offline or something as your third, the instance will be a joke, grey cons.

Sorry to keep on with the nub questions - where do I go to get these missions?

And the augs you said were worthwhile - are they bought with the points, or as loot from specific ones?

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

xZAOx posted:

Sorry to keep on with the nub questions - where do I go to get these missions?

And the augs you said were worthwhile - are they bought with the points, or as loot from specific ones?

You can get adventures from NPCs in Butcherblock, South Ro, North Ro, Everfrost, and East Commonlands (almost everywhere a magus can send you, as the magus was introduced in LDoN) Adventure camps are also always right around the magus, so just teleport from the guild lobby magus and you'll be set. If you don't have an adventure stone yet, you will have to run around the world a little bit to get that before you can use the magus. You can start the quest at level 15, I think; the lowest level to request an adventure.

Here's a pretty handy, though slightly outdated, guide to LDoN that covers all the basics. http://www.necrotalk.com/showthread.php?t=10410

EDIT: The +8% dodge mod aug comes from adventure points in the Everfrost camp. I think the only other worthwhile augs drop from LDoN raids

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Be a bard. Finally got mine to 85 last night and decked him out with VoA gear. I've been hopping around HoT cherrypicking named today and just had 3 adds while engaged with a named. Pre-bard, that was a guaranteed wipe, or at least abort. AE mez, single mez, single mez, single mez, named goes down, kill them single, moved on.

I loving love bards now.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Do I need hand to hand weapons in order to train said skill? Using bare fists hasn't given me any skillups since I started and was skill 17 at level 40. I just invested about 70+ skill points into training it and I'm still not getting any skills.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Dizz posted:

Do I need hand to hand weapons in order to train said skill? Using bare fists hasn't given me any skillups since I started and was skill 17 at level 40. I just invested about 70+ skill points into training it and I'm still not getting any skills.

What class are you playing? Monk? You shouldn't have to do anything other than hit mobs to get skill ups. I know on my BST I got skill ups just fine when I wasn't using a weapon.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
All you need to do for hand to hand skill ups is to unequip your weapons and autoattack a mob that's green or higher. The only thing I could think of that would interfere would be against mobs that are immune to magic weapons, but I think having magic gloves equipped fixes that.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Finally got it up and running on my girlfriend's mac laptop using Crossover. Go figure :P Haven't decided if I'm going to stick around or not but for now I'm having fun putzing around with my merc. If I decide to stay I'll shell out the 25 bucks to transfer over and hopefully enjoy some goon craziness.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Kithyen posted:

If I decide to stay I'll shell out the 25 bucks to transfer over and hopefully enjoy some goon craziness.

Note that, for now, it's on sale for $15.00, for another 2 days.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
Well gently caress me I may just have to pop over earlier then.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

The337th posted:

The TBS Pirate stuff was also a terrible case of marketing buzz hyping something that was absolutely not noteworthy. "Ship-to-Ship Combat!!!" was a big expansion feature noted at the time, people got excited, people then played some instances where they did nothing more innovative than going to Dulak's Harbor and killing stuff on the boats there.

haha, wasn't that the same time that two pirate MMOs were coming out (and both crashed and burned)? I remember loving the poo poo out of that expansion because I had fun with the skeletal hand quest, but man it was a cop-out.

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

Pilsner posted:

Casters other than enchanters will provide lots of fun, and if you're looking to group or raid, they will be welcome, as far as I know it. Necros aren't just mana twitchers and magicians aren't just mod rod bots, at all.

Enchanters are the goddamn kings of everquest and you should all make enchanters.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
Don't remember any of my info from my 65 enchanter although if I decide to stay in it for a few months I may try and get him back. Didn't Veeshan get merged with Luclin? If so, he's already on the server.

One more question on character transfer. From what I've read you transfer with all coin/items correct? I ask because I'm pretty sure the last time I transferred a character to a different server it was back when they first introduced this and it was like 75 dollars and you were stripped of everything or something ridiculous like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widds2v
Aug 23, 2004
Sorry, I'm socially retarded.
When do Rangers pick up in power? Right now it seems like I kill stuff faster if I nuke it rather than using my bow. Generally shots are ~11 dmg each at lvl 23 while spells are hitting for 50-60+. I know Headshot eventually will turn me into a grinding machine of sorts but it seems underpowered as of now.