Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Penguinone posted:

Any of you guys dj in the Detroit metro/Ann Arbor area? Starting to look around for a wedding in December.

I used to maintain a list in the DJ mix thread, and there were no goons who said they were from the Detroit area.

I would keep in mind there is a difference from a "wedding dj" and what most people consider to be "djs" (majority play EDM)

I guess if you're down for some dark techno beats or 160 BPM hardstyle for your wedding you're in the right place...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I will drop a glitch hop set if you're getting married in Ann Arbor.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

vanilla slimfast posted:

The S2 is on sale right now until the end of the month

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-s2/

Also purchased this. :allears:

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Penguinone posted:

Any of you guys dj in the Detroit metro/Ann Arbor area? Starting to look around for a wedding in December.

I do the party/wedding/non-edm DJ thing. Im not from detroit but ill give ya the good discount and even after flying up there it would probably still be cheaper than hiring a good wedding DJ, and he would likely just play itunes anyway.

Price some poo poo out, it should be between 1g-3gs for speakers/lights/DJ, and let us know. If they are cheaper than $1000 they loving suck and stay away.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Does anyone here work at Beatport? Having some weird issues with my account and customer support is not being helpful.

Edit: Nevermind, got it all resolved! Those guys are great!

Unrelated question, what hard drives do you guys use? I want to get a small portable hard drive to back stuff up and bring around just in case. Any recommendations? Physical size is the biggest factor to me.

reichsten fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 22, 2012

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Honestly, if you have the cash and you're on the fence between an S2 and an S4 I would highly recommend going for the S4. I was pretty inexperienced at DJing going into my S4 purchase but after learning all of the ins and outs of it I am really glad I spent the extra money for the extra functionality.

Also, anyone else excited about the Traktor F1?

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 22, 2012

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

oredun posted:

The venue wont let you do it because its a real pain in the rear end to have joe "soundguy" mcnoob in there rooting around in their poo poo. I would never let anyone do it on my stage. You either pay me and use the venues poo poo, or you can bring yours, not touch mine, and you have the same amount of time as the band. Its a policy thing because theres always people trying to get in there "a few hours early" to set up some grandiose sound/light system.

Just dont worry about it, bring the least amount of gear you can, and get in there and set up as fast as possible without bothering the people at the venue and especially the sound dude or youll piss them off and not be able to come back(it kinda sounds like you may not even care about that).

Good luck tho, and dont get stressed out just get in there and do your job.

Despite paying for the room and the sound guy's time (they run a horrible setup and he can't mix for poo poo) they decided they didn't want to work with the equipment which is basically nothing more that a pair of tops, a couple of decent sized subs and a rack containing all the lovely EQ/RTA, crossovers and amps. 8U rack, done.

Nevermind though as there's another venue in town for the next one which will work with us.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

JohnnyMondo posted:

Unrelated question, what hard drives do you guys use? I want to get a small portable hard drive to back stuff up and bring around just in case. Any recommendations? Physical size is the biggest factor to me.

I use one of the LaCie 'rugged' drives. Not the smallest, but you should be able to find space for it no problem. Bus-powered; if you have FW800 it's a breeze.

Re: Traktor F1: How possibly groundbreaking could this thing be? The interview with Shiftee is charming, but it just gives me ideas on how I can do that with the gear I already have. Colours are neat, though. Lights Per Dollar.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Has anyone here used Numark TTXUSBs or Vestax PDX-2000/3000s? I was thinking of getting a pair because I don't want to gig out with my Techs anymore.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 25, 2012

Slow and Serious
Mar 20, 2007

It runs ok.

Quidnose posted:

Well gently caress, why did you guys have to do this to me. That's exactly what I need in every way but I do not have the money to drop on it right now. :(

How much more expensive is it when it's not on sale?

EDIT: ACTUALLY. I have some money coming in, so, uh, purchased. Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm stoked.

epswing posted:

Also purchased this. :allears:

Wow awesome, what's up S2 bros! :clint: I just found this thread after getting into DJ as a hobby for the past month. I started out with the Hercules DJ Control MP3 E2 but quickly found out that I needed to upgrade. This guy just got here yesterday and I can't wait to see what I can do with it. Just waiting on a set of DJ headphones so I can mix properly.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Friday afternoon UPS called me up at work saying they were at my house WITH THE GOODS, and that they needed my signature :(

Now I get to wait until Monday. I could have been playing with my new toy all weekend.

I'm pretty mad at myself. Should have had it delivered to my work...IDIOT...

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Has anyone here used Numark TTXUSBs or Vestax PDX-2000/3000s? I was thinking of getting a pair because I don't want to gig out with my Techs anymore.

I haven't got my hands on the TTXUSBs, but I have a pair of the original TTXs, and I love them. If you're used to techs, it takes a little getting used to the different style/design - but they are absolutely rock solid decks with nice features.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I busted a nut on my VCI-100.

With that I mean that one of my filter knobs is way too free-range after pressing one of those DJTT caps on it a bit too hard :(

e: got to play around for a bit with a VCI-400 last week, felt kick-rear end.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

S2 came and it looks badass, can't wait to start working with it.

Realized I have no speakers, however. :hurr: Is there currently a cheapish solution for bedroom DJing speakers? I don't need something super fancy, but if I'm gonna go buy something I don't want it to sound like total poo poo.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Quidnose posted:

S2 came and it looks badass, can't wait to start working with it.

Realized I have no speakers, however. :hurr: Is there currently a cheapish solution for bedroom DJing speakers? I don't need something super fancy, but if I'm gonna go buy something I don't want it to sound like total poo poo.

Anything on here should be fine

http://www.agiprodj.com/advanced_search_result.html?keywords=studio+monitor&osCsid=8ad379eb4216106911e949e3c9e7ff68&x=0&y=0

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
get computer speakers from best buy. they are much much cheaper number one, and two only the more expensive monitors will have any bass. Yeah my krks sound better, but i have some computer speakers with a sub and i like those better to DJ on because they have more BASS. And besides that, there is absolutely no reason to get monitors just to DJ with, thats like buying a corvette to drive to walgreens once a week to get your blood pressure medicine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So I ended up running the venue's kit which I knew was trash from memory but it wasn't until I'd hooked up my CDJs and mixer and asked the sound guy to turn it up just how bad it was. It was like a loving wall of screeching treble and midrange and absolutely gently caress all bass, tweaking the levels helped a bit but it was still sub-par.

It turns out that DJing on lovely equipment isn't a whole lot of fun as the tracks sound nothing like what they're supposed to. :(

I need a fat stack of cash to open my own venue, it'd be the finest sounding place for a good 100 miles.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

88h88 posted:

I need a fat stack of cash to open my own venue, it'd be the finest sounding place for a good 100 miles.

Or partner up with a few other like-minded DJs.

We have U Street Music Hall here in DC, and the main owners are Jesse Tittsworth (probably the most widely known name from the main owners), Will Eastman (of the Blisspop blog & events in DC, and now 1/3rd of Volta Bureau), and Brian Miller (aka Brian Billion, also of Blisspop, and a local architect with his hands in a lot of DC projects the past few years), and then backed by the guys from Thievery Corporation. They definitely took their experiences from playing lots of other venues and shaped this one in to what they felt was an ideal space. Easily my favorite venue for shows, and my favorite to play at. The DJ booth is super super nice, staff there has always been accommodating.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Koesj posted:

e: got to play around for a bit with a VCI-400 last week, felt kick-rear end.

They're very cool, I picked up the ean golden edition and I love it. Haven't gotten to spend enough time with it yet since I'm traveling constantly for work, but it's great fun and way better than trying to dj in traktor on an apc40.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

SUBFRIES posted:

Or partner up with a few other like-minded DJs.

We have U Street Music Hall here in DC, and the main owners are Jesse Tittsworth (probably the most widely known name from the main owners), Will Eastman (of the Blisspop blog & events in DC, and now 1/3rd of Volta Bureau), and Brian Miller (aka Brian Billion, also of Blisspop, and a local architect with his hands in a lot of DC projects the past few years), and then backed by the guys from Thievery Corporation. They definitely took their experiences from playing lots of other venues and shaped this one in to what they felt was an ideal space. Easily my favorite venue for shows, and my favorite to play at. The DJ booth is super super nice, staff there has always been accommodating.

I plan on running a lot of sound this year for local DJs/bands to get my name about and get them to understand that the very loving first thing you do is start with great sound quality. People need to go 'holy gently caress this sounds amazing!' which currently nowhere in town offers, even the largest club in town bought a whole stack of new gear and had it set up badly. They're trying to run a loving line array setup in a room with a 9ft ceiling and wondering why it sounds garbage. The big room is better simply because it's massive but again they've done nothing to the room to try and cut back on the masses of reverb in there.

I think I'm just gonna churn out more speakers and rent a couple of venues and ask people to play. If nothing else everyone gets used to the setup and how poo poo should go down. At that point we'll discuss other options.

Cheers!

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Penguinone posted:

I'll be playing at L!V, during DEMF, does that count? Also, how far away is this place from Hart Plaza, and is this a cool place people go to? I already have everything signed and set, but no idea if this is going to be a fun booking or for something no one wants to go to.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Just mixed some house music across the internet for any friends who I could coerce into listening. Went for about an hour. Fun poo poo, the S2 is really intuitive and so easy to use, much easier than moving my mouse around in Traktor. :v:

Any other tips for someone starting out? I'm getting good at stringing songs together, have only just started playing around with cueing poo poo and tossing on filters whilst twisting knobs. :shobon:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
S2 question. I've read through the manual and didn't see a way to do this (but I'll ask anyways).

The loop in/out buttons can be held down while you fine tune their position with the jog wheel. Can this be done with cue points?

Edit: I guess I'll describe my use case. Say I want to drop 3 cue points in a song, sometimes I want to just quickly drop them "close" to where they're supposed to be, and later fine tune them exactly on the downbeat. Currently I have to Shift-Cue2 to delete it (hopefully I'm looking right at it when I do, so I know where it goes), then jog-wheel to exactly where I want it, then Cue2 to set it. And if it's not quite right, delete it again with Shift-Cue2, and set again with Cue2.

If I could just hold some combination of buttons including Cue2, and move it with the jog wheel (exactly like I can with loop in/out buttons), that'd be ace.

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 28, 2012

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If your tracks are gridded well and you add the cue point while the track is playing, the cue point will be placed right on the beat closest to where you hit the button (that's usually where you want it). Turn the snap feature on if that isn't happening (on the s4 there's a dedicated button for that. On the s2 it looks like there's a snap indicator, but I don't see a button).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 28, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I don't use the snap feature because I don't really trust the beatgrid yet.

Sometimes the bpm is correct, but the grid isn't aligned on a downbeat. I can tap Shift repeatedly to get this aligned.

Sometimes the bpm is doubled of halved. I can figure that out and type the right number.

Sometimes the the bpm is some inexplicable value that isn't even a multiple of the real bpm. So after playing with the tempo sliders, two tracks are reading exactly 102.48, but playing both yields shoes in a dryer.

Am I supposed to verify and possibly fix the beatgrid for every track I'll ever play?

I've been using the Denon DNS1000 for about a year. It does "suggest" what the bpm of the current track is, but again it's still sometimes wrong, so mostly I just beatmatch manually with the sliders.

It seems like mixing with software (like Traktor+S2, VirtualDJ+MixtrackPro, etc) makes it really, really easy to just push buttons and blamo, you're suddenly a "DJ"...unless the beatgrid isn't perfect in which case all these 'nice' features are moot and you're exposed as a skill-less button-pusher. Seems like a pretty big crutch.

Edit: forgot to mention, I mostly play hiphop, I get the feeling electronic music is easier to deal with. By which I mean the software correctly guesses the beatgrid close to 100% of the time. drat missy elliot tracks :arghfist::v:

epswing fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 28, 2012

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
...and that's why I use SSL. Beatgridding, snap, etc are not very useful on anything other than electronic music. They make traktor really frustrating sometimes...I just want to put cue points or start tracks where I want to, not when the software decides for me.

That being said I really like the way traktor handles file management.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

epswing posted:

Am I supposed to verify and possibly fix the beatgrid for every track I'll ever play?
If you want to take full advantage of Traktor and its features, yes. In my experience Traktor is generally pretty good with gridding, only requiring moving the start point or slightly adjusting the bpm. However, sometimes it gets it completely wrong (I see this more with hip-hop and funky breaks). In that case I use a tap tempo site to get a starting point then work from there. If a track has tempo changes or doesn't hold a constant tempo, you have to get creative with the gridding and/or turn off sync.

BTW, there's a button for doubling or halving the bpm. I find it useful for styles like DnB and Dubstep, which sometimes I'll mix to from other fast EDM styles, and other times come from hip-hoppy stuff.

epswing posted:

It seems like mixing with software (like Traktor+S2, VirtualDJ+MixtrackPro, etc) makes it really, really easy to just push buttons and blamo, you're suddenly a "DJ"...unless the beatgrid isn't perfect in which case all these 'nice' features are moot and you're exposed as a skill-less button-pusher. Seems like a pretty big crutch.
Software has definitely lowered the barrier to entry to becoming a DJ. "Learn to beatmatch" is now "learn to beatgrid". It has its pluses and minuses.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

^^ pretty much everything he said

On the topic of the barrier to entry for DJing with software, it's true that it takes a lot of the mechanical skill related to beatmatching out of the picture, but quite honestly that is a pretty easy skill to learn

What separates the great DJs from the average or terrible ones is in track selection, programming, crowd control, etc. These are not skills that software can really handle for you. They are learned from experience

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

epswing posted:

Cue the track and make sure it's accurate, and if it's not you're going to have to do it manually, which is why you shouldn't use syncing functions unless you know how to beatmatch manually (it seems you do though!)

Syncing is nice and all, but by the very nature of music it's not going to be accurate all the time.

Also I was going to add what Vanilla Slimfast said above, but he beat me to it...

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

I plan on running a lot of sound this year for local DJs/bands to get my name about and get them to understand that the very loving first thing you do is start with great sound quality. People need to go 'holy gently caress this sounds amazing!' which currently nowhere in town offers, even the largest club in town bought a whole stack of new gear and had it set up badly. They're trying to run a loving line array setup in a room with a 9ft ceiling and wondering why it sounds garbage. The big room is better simply because it's massive but again they've done nothing to the room to try and cut back on the masses of reverb in there.

I think I'm just gonna churn out more speakers and rent a couple of venues and ask people to play. If nothing else everyone gets used to the setup and how poo poo should go down. At that point we'll discuss other options.

Cheers!

Im just gonna tell you right now, this is going to end in tears. If you do it for free, why would anyone ever pay you? Did you think about that? Once you do it for free, you will be held hostage to do it free even more.

"Hey man you know how you did it for free that last time? Well, yeah, we need you to do it again and we swear we'll pay you next time! Thanks!"

Not only that, but you are loving every other sound man in your area. That will not end well either.

So the moral of the story here is ALWAYS CHARGE FOR YOUR WORK!!! even if its only $50. But DO NOT rent out a venue just to run your system for free so DJs can play(am i even understanding you correctly?) because that is the exact opposite of what you would want to do if you ever want to go anywhere with your sound stuff.

You make the venue pay you, and tell them youll bring the talent for free and then youll renegotiate after that, and if a shitload of people show up, charge them a shitload of money.

Theres lots and lots and lots and LOTS of money to be made with live entertainment, but if you are a dumbass about it simply give your services away, you will never make money, and without money, you cant continue to do what you want to do. And its awesome to make a bunch of money DJing. I owe more in taxes every year that ive DJed than i made total per year before i was DJing(i just graduated college, so the DJing is my first pay all the bills job, but ive had decent paying jobs before). AND ITS loving AWESOME!!!!

And I do the soundguy thing too, i used to rent out PAs, but you dont make enough money to be worth the trouble(DUE TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU) and poo poo always tears up and eats your profits.

And i certainly didnt start off making poo poo, like $20-40 a night. BUT I DIDNT GIVE THAT poo poo AWAY!! Especially to venues, thats how they survive! By taking advantage of people with stars in their eyes!!!! Sure do it for your friends, but the second anyone makes a single dollar off your speakers or DJing, you need a cut of that. Do not waver on that, it might suck in the short run having to turn down gigs, but trust me, its worth it in the long run.

God speed, everyone out there is looking for numba one and a dude with a free bangin system is a ripe target.

EDIT: i forgot one thing, the music scene will always be there, so dont think im an idiot when i say turn down gigs. even though you think your cutting your own throat, you can really just hold out until someone will pay you. And then once you work for the person that pays once and you do a good job, they will likely continue to pay you, where a poo poo rear end ghetto free gig has no possible way to make money because theres no money anywhere near that poo poo.

edit 2: PS, trust me on this stuff, ive seen 100 people try it and 95 fail. And ive learned alot from those 5 and ive probably learned more from the 95 that hosed it all up.(and ive hosed up plenty of times, alot of the poo poo im telling you is from lessons the hard way.)

oredun fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 29, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'll soon be installing traktor on a new laptop. If I point it to the same collection of music I've been using, will all the metadata still be there?

More specifically...

I fixed the bpm for a number of tracks, and upon inspection, traktor has saved the bpm value to the id3 tags. When the newly installed traktor imports these tracks, it won't try to (incorrectly) recalculate things like bpm again right?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

epswing posted:

I'll soon be installing traktor on a new laptop. If I point it to the same collection of music I've been using, will all the metadata still be there?

More specifically...

I fixed the bpm for a number of tracks, and upon inspection, traktor has saved the bpm value to the id3 tags. When the newly installed traktor imports these tracks, it won't try to (incorrectly) recalculate things like bpm again right?

Trkator saves its analysis data (the "stripe") along with the bpm info, etc in the id3 tag as well, so it should load automagically without trying to re-analyze

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Aside from my bitching about the beatgrid, the S2 is really nice...feels like a real piece of hardware, unlike the mixtrack pro which feels like a toy by comparison.

One thing i'd change on the S2 though: right under the Browse knob are the two Load buttons, to load a track to deck A or B. Those load buttons are mighty close to each other... :v:

epswing fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 30, 2012

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I love my S2 as well. I've been casually mixing every night with it this week and it's just so intuitive. Thank you to this thread for convincing me to spend the extra money on it over the X1 as a starter controller, totally the right choice.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

epswing posted:

For all my bitching about the beatgrid, the S2 is really nice...feels like a real piece of hardware, unlike the mixtrack pro which feels like a toy by comparison.

One thing i'd change on the S2 though: right under the Browse knob are the two Load buttons, to load a track to deck A or B. Those load buttons are mighty close to each other... :v:

Go into Traktor's settings, and check the box for the "don't allow a track to load on a playing deck" setting.

I honestly don't know why this setting isn't on by default, but it's a lifesaver.

You're welcome

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 30, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

vanilla slimfast posted:

I honestly don't know why this setting isn't on by default, but it's a lifesaver.

Yeah really. Thanks!

It's called "Loading only into stopped deck"

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

oredun posted:

:words:

I think more people need to read this, even outside of the DJ industry. One photographer I know keeps doing club/rave work for a promoter and no pay. The promoter also does his work for free with his reasoning being that someone else will take his job if he doesn't do it for free. A bunch of us keep telling the photographer to get paid but he just won't do it for whatever reason.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

oredun posted:

:words:

Fantastic advice which I shall certainly be heeding. I'd never intended to actually do poo poo for free I mean I've spent serious time and money on this setup and getting it to where it's easily the best sounding portable PA in the city in terms of quality.

When talking about renting a venue it was more a private party thing than an actual event where random dickheads turn up. My friends know I've been squirrelled away over winter putting this lot together and at some point I need to let them hear the end result for themselves. Anyone playing on it would be a close friend and I'm lucky to know a fair few DJs, I'm not about to host someone I don't know at least like you say, not without getting paid for it.

I've spent some cash on a fair whack of gear that limits everything to well within the tolerances of the speakers meaning unless something ridiculously catastrophic happens my investment is safe. That said even if I am renting it I'd never let it go without myself being there to oversee it, mainly because I know what people are like and not without some form of fat deposit.

I'm going to go do some reading up on this subject as it's clear I have a lot to learn, thanks for the lesson. ;)

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 30, 2012

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Well, son of a bitch. I just mixed for an hour and a half and had some great moments, and I recorded it, but apparently my B deck is transmitting sound to the output when I'm over on the A slider. Which means that all my cueing got sent to the mix and my mix is effectively ruined now.

Any idea what setting I hosed up to do this? My A deck is not transmitting when the slider is on B.

EDIT: Running setup wizard and then swapping my monitoring to record monitoring and back to regular monitoring seemed to fix the issue. I wish I know why it switched over to this in the middle of my mix, though.

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Quidnose posted:

Well, son of a bitch. I just mixed for an hour and a half and had some great moments, and I recorded it, but apparently my B deck is transmitting sound to the output when I'm over on the A slider. Which means that all my cueing got sent to the mix and my mix is effectively ruined now.

Any idea what setting I hosed up to do this? My A deck is not transmitting when the slider is on B.

EDIT: Running setup wizard and then swapping my monitoring to record monitoring and back to regular monitoring seemed to fix the issue. I wish I know why it switched over to this in the middle of my mix, though.

Not sure what your gear is, or what you're technically doing, but I'm assuming it's a digital deck and you're recording within the program itself?

I never do this, every mix goes out the deck and into Pro Tools (or Audacity or whatever). Seems like a LOT less risk to keep everything separate.