Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I really want to see Gamzee's ancestor.

Like a whole lot.

I hope he turns out to be the troll equivalent of a Mormon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RickoniX posted:

Using an RSS feed ... with a browser extension is way easier
Haha what? That's the dumbest idea I have ever heard. That's stupid. You're stupid.

Yeah, I just did that.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

I read over a hundred webcomics. RSS is the secret.
I have like 200 in my feed, and that's not even including all the author blogs I follow separately. I might have a problem.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It's funny, because Tom Siddell's fanart was what finally got me to slog through all of Homestuck after multiple failed attempts. Hussie getting people into Gunnerkrigg Court just fits perfectly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

300 unread rss posts and rising. :gonk:

edit:I just use Google Reader. Convenient and the best one I've used.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 29, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What rss things are most people using (preferably one with a browser extension or something)? I've never used one before, I should probably start.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

What rss things are most people using (preferably one with a browser extension or something)? I've never used one before, I should probably start.

I use this set of addons in my upper right here:

Email and twitter pop up when there's a new one, RSS and Tumblr display a little number next to them.

You can get this to more easily subscribe to a site's rss:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nlbjncdgjeocebhnmkbbbdekmmmcbfjd

And this is the notification addon that displays in the upper right:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jnmalhpnifcgaicdjnacljombhmgagin

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Google Reader, which has official notification extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and others, is pretty much the best.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I never set up an RSS. I just open every single webcomic I read MWF. :downs:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I use Google Reader for my RSS feed needs. It's nice, because then I can maintain the same read/unread lists from my home computer, my tablet, and my work computer.

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

For the cow-borrowing glory and infinite wisdom of Elmal! Cheese for everyone!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I hope he turns out to be the troll equivalent of a Mormon.

What, with the multitude of corpses he took as his multiple wives/husbands?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

What, with the multitude of corpses he took as his multiple wives/husbands?

More in the sense of wearing a shirt and tie all the time and never swearing. He also passes out literature on the dangers of Sopor Slime consumption and same-sex matespritships.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

More in the sense of wearing a shirt and tie all the time and never swearing. He also passes out literature on the dangers of Sopor Slime consumption and same-sex matespritships.
There is quite a bit of scandal when it is discovered he has a wavering red/black relationship with a muscular, orange-blooded young male. He'll withdraw from the public eye for a couple years, and then return, with news that the Mirthful Messiahs have given him a vision of the end of the world in troll-May. When it fails to happen, he will move the date to troll-October, and when that fails, too, he will just bring it about manually.

:psyduck: Why did I type all this out?

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
Since there's no updates going on right now, I was kind of curious when everyone caught up with the comic (except for you coolkids around since the beginning). I got current literally days before Trollpocalypse 2011 started, it was pretty depressing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Right around the start of the Midnight Crew intermission, I think. It was a good time to catch up.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Got caught up at the 5X Showdown Combo, right before the Cascade break basically.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I started reading right at Jan 1 2011, and caught up about seven days later, right when Mr Mayor was having a trippy-rear end dream sequence. Then it was all Troll Corpse Parties, all the time.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

The Fucky posted:

Since there's no updates going on right now, I was kind of curious when everyone caught up with the comic (except for you coolkids around since the beginning). I got current literally days before Trollpocalypse 2011 started, it was pretty depressing.

Right in the middle of Doc Scratch's horrible narration, right about when the scrapbook panels started. Not a horrible place, but it made that rear end in a top hat green background bullshit more annoying that it could have been had I been able to power through it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Right before Hussie's two-month hiatus before Cascade.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

TheDemon posted:

Right in the middle of Doc Scratch's horrible narration, right about when the scrapbook panels started. Not a horrible place, but it made that rear end in a top hat green background bullshit more annoying that it could have been had I been able to power through it.

That's pretty much me, I got caught up near the last few scrapbook panels, three or four of them before Hussie stepped and wiggled around with Scratch. I saw that wolf and the dancing Hussie cursor!

Fantasy Tripe
Nov 4, 2009

Technically been around since the beginning, but I was one of those people initially turned off by the pesterlogs and only looked at the pictures until the Felt intermission killed my interest. A while later started following it again once the awesome Act 4 flashes started popping up, this time actually reading it and hey! Turns out pesterlogs are one of the main reasons the comic's good! Who knew?

Didn't get around to going back to actually read the first 3 1/2 acts until the week long break after Equius and Aradia kissed. Turns out the Felt intermission is actually amazing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Random thought of the night: If trolls going crazy and killing others is a normal part of their society and biology (see: Gamzee, the concept of :d:), was Eridan actually that big of an rear end in a top hat, or was it partly Fefari's fault for cutting off the :d: just because she thought he wouldn't have anyone left to kill?

Note1: Keep in mind that people absolve Vriska of killing lots of anonymous trolls because of ~upbringing~.

Note2: I don't actually agree with the argument put forth above, I'm just trying to generate discussion.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Bobulus posted:

Random thought of the night: If trolls going crazy and killing others is a normal part of their society and biology (see: Gamzee, the concept of :d:), was Eridan actually that big of an rear end in a top hat, or was it partly Fefari's fault for cutting off the :d: just because she thought he wouldn't have anyone left to kill?

Note1: Keep in mind that people absolve Vriska of killing lots of anonymous trolls because of ~upbringing~.

Note2: I don't actually agree with the argument put forth above, I'm just trying to generate discussion.

Hopesploding the Matriorb puts his rampage pretty beyond the pale.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When I finished my initial archive trawl, the latest update was the end of act 2. Haven't stopped since then, but a few weeks ago I did go back and reread the whole thing. There was a lot I missed.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Bobulus posted:

I use Google Reader for my RSS feed needs. It's nice, because then I can maintain the same read/unread lists from my home computer, my tablet, and my work computer.

Also a Google Reader user, and MSPA was instrumental in getting me to start using it. It's gotten to the point where if a webcomic doesn't have an RSS feed, and isn't sufficiently good enough for me to go to the trouble of making one, I'll probably just eventually stop reading it.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

I use http://www.comic-nation.com/ - auto-checks most webcomics for updates, including non-RSS ones.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dr Christmas posted:

Hopesploding the Matriorb puts his rampage pretty beyond the pale.

I think you mean "beyond the pail".

EDIT: Wait, yours works as a joke too. :v:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Oh this is a lot of text, most of it interesting. So, among other things: here's the pink moon, finally meaning something, more or less, as where everyone's meeting up for the time being. Wonder who, if anyone, has a memory of being there, since it doesn't look like a very livable environment. Meenah, maybe, since apparently that's the first place she popped up after dying.

Aranea also seems to insinuate (but not quite imply) that the interlude where Terezi didn't kill Vriska did take place outside of Terezi's head in some form; it's an interesting point in that if Terezi feels responsible for painting herself into a corner where her only options were killing Vriska or letting her get everyone else killed, she should feel responsible for every death in both timelines (in so far as they both exist in any useful sense), as Aranea points out. There's no way around any of it, and however true any excuses might be (necessity, inevitability), they don't actually help.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 29, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think you mean "beyond the pail".

EDIT: Wait, yours works as a joke too. :v:
No matter how you look at it, it's troll romance jokes all the way down.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

I guess we can place Sylph in the "passive class" category, seeing as healing is the best way to benefit others using one's element.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, that seems pretty clear.

Oh, also: it seems like Meenah did make sure everyone got out by dying. Kind of fits with being the Thief of Life, I guess? I suppose that bit could also mean she played a similar role in establishing this corner of bubble land as Feferi did for the others, though.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Don't mind me, just noting some similarities between characters with the same class.

So it seems like Sylph's are not only bookish, but also are a bit more of an outcast among their group, which causes them to gravitate/befriend the other outcast of the group, the Thief.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I like Aranea's way of speaking. Although she uses a lot of words, they aren't superfluous. She doesn't leave her rhetorical questions hanging, and manages to frame them without being condescending. She does meander, but she completes her meanderings instead of interrupting them. Her quirk doesn't get in the way. It's a very welcome break from how other characters like Aradia, Rose, Scratch and even Karkat (bless him) like to exposit.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Yeah, that seems pretty clear.

Oh, also: it seems like Meenah did make sure everyone got out by dying. Kind of fits with being the Thief of Life, I guess? I suppose that bit could also mean she played a similar role in establishing this corner of bubble land as Feferi did for the others, though.

I wonder if being a Thief of Life has anything to do with why she's been trying to kill Roxy? Maybe she can bring herself back? Jane did, after all.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

TheDemon posted:

I like Aranea's way of speaking. Although she uses a lot of words, they aren't superfluous. She doesn't leave her rhetorical questions hanging, and manages to frame them without being condescending. She does meander, but she completes her meanderings instead of interrupting them. Her quirk doesn't get in the way. It's a very welcome break from how other characters like Aradia, Rose, Scratch and even Karkat (bless him) like to exposit.

Yeah, I like the way she talks too. For once I actually understand what's going on (kinda!)

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

It seems like Slyphs are the passive class to the Seers' active.

Aranea posted:

This is what I did as a Sylph of Light. Helped people see things.

So I guess Maids and Witches are the last female pair?

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

But didn't Doc Scratch describe the Seer as a class that "sits back and directs their allies' actions using their elements"? That seems pretty passive to me.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

FewtureMD posted:

But didn't Doc Scratch describe the Seer as a class that "sits back and directs their allies' actions using their elements"? That seems pretty passive to me.

I think it could be interpreted as Seers taking the active task of peering into the future and making judgments or giving direction based on what they see, whereas the Sylph of light helps others by illuminating certain truths or helping them learn things about themselves--helping others look within, rather than directing them by looking at something external.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I just want to say the god-tier Sylph outfit is very elegant, and I think Kanaya would be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So pre-scratch Mindfang is a Sylph of Light, which means she heals people through counseling? I guess that fits for somebody who is long winded!