Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

LyonsLions posted:

Amazing post

Holy poo poo, this is fantastic! Thanks so much, I really appreciate your recommendations. I'm also pretty excited about getting into some sweet Japanese fiction. Nobody be surprised if I resurrect the long lost Japanese thread once I've digested these. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Can someone recommend me science? Space mostly, I have all the important titles I think, Cosmos, this new ocean etc.
Edit: Space exploration, exoplanets, anything really.

Edit: Anything dystopian, futuristic, 1984, hunger games, etc. ?

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 19, 2012

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Saint Celestine posted:

Can someone recommend me science? Space mostly, I have all the important titles I think, Cosmos, this new ocean etc.

Anything by Neil Degrasse Tyson. His whole catalog really swings the gambit from exploration, to planets, to well space.
Here is his Amazon page with all his works, he did just come out with a new one too. Neil Degrasse Tyson Page

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 19, 2012

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

Pale Blue Dot by Sagan is sort of a spiritual "sequel" to Cosmos, if you haven't got it yet. (Also, it's worth trying to find the illustrated edition, as well as the illustrated edition of Cosmos if you can find them.)

There's also The 4% Universe. Depending on what you like, you may find the writing style engaging or grating. Also, fair warning, I had to make a chart to keep track of all the various people and organizations involved as I read through it, because it can get a little complicated.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Awesome autobiographies about cool people in television, movies, music, or, in particular, comedy?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

Awesome autobiographies about cool people in television, movies, music, or, in particular, comedy?

I'm really enjoying Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling and If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell, if you have any interest in either of them.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Robert Evan's The Kid Stays in the Picture is a fun read about Hollywood in the 70s by the guy who produced Rosemary's Baby, The Godfather and Chinatown.

Steve Martin's Born Standing Up is probably the best comedian autobiography out there. It's not a biography, but I'm Dying Up Here is a good read about the late 70s standup scene in LA, back when David Letterman, Jay Leno, Andy Kaufman and Robin Williams were all still on-stage.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Capsaicin posted:

For some reason, comedian autobios are usually terrible. Poster above mentioned Steve Martin's book, which was very good. Patton Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland is also funny and good.

From the music side, Keith Richards's Life is awesome and the best thing any of the Stones have produced since Exile. David Lee Roth's Crazy From the Heat is full of awesome tall tales and bullshit. If you're a fan of soul music, David Ritz wrote a book with Ray Charles called Brother Ray that that lovely movie was semi-based on, but the book is an eye-opener. Clarence Clemons's Big Man: Real Life & Tall Tales was fun. Bob Dylan's Chronicles: Volume One is a strange, strange book, but a must for anyone interested in 60s culture and weirdness in general. Cash by Johnny Cash, of course. Henry Rollins is not for everyone, but I loved his Get In the Van about the early years with Flag.

Not an actor, musician, or comic, but very cool person: Richard Feynman's collection of memoir and anecdotes Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character is the best.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

It's not exactly an autobiography, but Steven Bach's Final Cut: Art, Money & Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Movie that Sank United Artists is a really amazing read.

Bach was right there when Cimino was trying to make Heaven's Gate, now renowned as one of the biggest flops of all time, after the monster success of The Deer Hunter and he tells it like it is. Occasionally, this necessitates him admitting that he was just as big an idiot as Cimino or any of the other suits, and he has no problem doing that. The film ended up essentially bankrupting United Artists, which had been started by Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks. All brought to nothing by one awful movie. Bach is talking in very personal terms, so it's semi-autobiographical, I suppose, and before he's done, he's brought a ton of characters into the story: a late career Peter Sellers makes a poignant appearance, for one example; for another, Bach talks about the meeting where De Niro was pitching Raging Bull to a room full of suits who didn't like the idea at all. It's a great read, hilariously funny at some moments and incredibly frustrating and angering at others. It captures perfectly the moment that the artistic freedom, creativity and energy of the seventies turned into the bloat, excess and egotism of the eighties. It's one of the best books I've ever read about show business; maybe the best.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

barkingclam posted:

Robert Evan's The Kid Stays in the Picture is a fun read about Hollywood in the 70s by the guy who produced Rosemary's Baby, The Godfather and Chinatown.

I was going to plug this one. It's totally hilarious and great - Evans comes across like a drunk rear end in a top hat uncle, just hanging out with you and getting progressively more plastered while he talks poo poo on everyone he's ever known...except instead of your aunts and grandparents, the people he's talking poo poo about are some of the most iconic Hollywood actors and personalities. Patton Oswalt's impersonation is dead on - "Do you know what Diane Keaton's pussy tastes like after soaking in a hot tub full of apple brandy?"

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Shadski posted:

During lunch I finished the book I was reading and on an impulse bought "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins, after seeing it advertised as a movie. Its now 10 hours later and ive just finished it. It was that hard to put down. I've never devoured a book quite like that before, and it was a roller-coaster of emotions, with one scene affecting me in a way that no book or movie ever has.

It tells the story of a dystopia style society where every year 24 children (11-18) enter a massive outdoor arena and fight until only one survives, very battle royale esq. However, this book isn't focused around violence and killing, it instead focuses on the interaction of some of the characters caught in the arena, the writing is incredibly gripping.

If you Google it im sure you will find a hundred different websites that can articulate how good this book is a lot better than I can.

If you like this, you might want to check out "The Long Walk" by Stephen King/Bachman. It is the same basic story, and one of his best.

ihopeirememberthis
Sep 8, 2011
This is probably going to be kind of vague, sorry. I've just put down Ulysses and decided to save it for a time when I'm a bit less stressed. I want something easyish to read, some escapism. I like antiheroes, autobiographical fiction, imagery, bleak settings and travel (sea travel is a bonus). Don't be afraid to recommend something well known, there's a good chance i wont have read it.

Some of my favorites: A Prayer for Owen Meany, Moby Dick, Portrait of the Artist, Catcher in the rye.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
I absolutely LOVED House of Leaves. I leave for court ordered rehab tomorrow (The 23rd of March) so don't bother responding if it's past that. If you do know something similar to House of Leaves please let me know!

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

The Valuum posted:

I absolutely LOVED House of Leaves. I leave for court ordered rehab tomorrow (The 23rd of March) so don't bother responding if it's past that. If you do know something similar to House of Leaves please let me know!

This post is a joke, right?

Mrfreezewarning fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 22, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Inyourbase posted:

This post is a joke, right?

Dude probably wants something to read in rehab. Rehab is pretty boring.

TFNC
May 8, 2007

^^^^Capitalism^^^^

ihopeirememberthis posted:

This is probably going to be kind of vague, sorry. I've just put down Ulysses and decided to save it for a time when I'm a bit less stressed. I want something easyish to read, some escapism. I like antiheroes, autobiographical fiction, imagery, bleak settings and travel (sea travel is a bonus). Don't be afraid to recommend something well known, there's a good chance i wont have read it.

Some of my favorites: A Prayer for Owen Meany, Moby Dick, Portrait of the Artist, Catcher in the rye.

Have you read Lolita? It doesn't meet all of your criterion but there's travel (particularly in the second half), the anti-est of heroes who narrates the book, amazing prose, and is really just a drat fine book. Lolita and Nabokov own.

Edit:

quote:

I hope it's not too late but Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, while not as, say, difficult as House of Leaves, is the same kind of postmodern, gigantic, labyrinthine novel that might get you all the way through rehab. And is also largely about rehab.

TFNC fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 23, 2012

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
I'll just echo what TFNC said and add Cormac McCarthy's The Road and Blood Meridian. I know they're goon favorites but they really do match well with the travel, bleakness, antiheroes and fabulous imagery. Blood Meridian especially takes a lot from Moby Dick.

TFNC
May 8, 2007

^^^^Capitalism^^^^
Definitely, McCarthy is also a great read for anyone at all interested in stylish prose.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Capsaicin posted:

Dino: Living High in the Dirty Business of Dreams by Nick Tosches. It's a beautifully written biography of Dean Martin which touches on the immigrant experience, the mafia, the beginnings of comedy, early Hollywood, early TV, the beginning of rock & Roll, Mad Men era glamour, the Rat Pack, Vegas, and on and on.

Very well written bio.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I just finished reading Lev Grossman's The Magicians and I really enjoyed it, though I felt that the second half of the book dragged on a bit and had some un-necessary fluff.

I'm looking for books in a similar vein, ordinary person discovers something fantastic in the world / discovers a new world, doesn't necessarily have to be magic. A love interest is a plus because I'm a sucker for that kind of thing eg: Alice in The Magicians.

More broadly, fantasy but set in the "real world".

For me, The Magicians was kind of a stepping stone from the Harry Potter series I loved as a kid. It's a fair bit more mature than Harry Potter, but I think I'd like something more so.

I'm sure there's more I could say about what I'm looking for, but I can't think of a way to do it. If you have some ideas but need more specifics, ask away.

vv: Thanks, I probably should've mentioned that The Magician King is on my list.

I felt like by the second-half of the book it started to drag on, but that might've been a byproduct of reading it all in one go.

Read fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 25, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Read posted:

I just finished reading Lev Grossman's The Magicians and I really enjoyed it,

Dunno what you mean by "fluff," but you should definitely read The Magician King, which is actually much more well-written than The Magicians.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I just finished reading "The Long Walk" by Stephen King and thought it was one of the best books I've ever read. It was disturbing and compelling and I'll be damned if I understand what drove Garraty but I couldn't have been more inside his head. Which King novel should I go to from here? I've read about half of "Full Dark No Stars" and it was pretty good but not really on the same level of intensity.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Mozi posted:

I just finished reading "The Long Walk" by Stephen King and thought it was one of the best books I've ever read. It was disturbing and compelling and I'll be damned if I understand what drove Garraty but I couldn't have been more inside his head. Which King novel should I go to from here? I've read about half of "Full Dark No Stars" and it was pretty good but not really on the same level of intensity.

Have you read "The Stand"? It's pretty good (but very long).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm definitely aware of The Stand but was thinking of something maybe smaller and more focused. That's something I really liked about The Long Walk - there were no spare parts at all. It was completely driven.

Edit: I just noticed there's a Richard Bachman thread - looks like just what I need.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 25, 2012

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I'm basically looking for "The Twilight Zone" in book form. Something like trashy maybe-sci-fi or maybe-just-mysteries from pre 1965, let's say. Alfred Hitchcock's mysteries collections are awesome... but I've read a lot of them. I'd say a good twist is what I'm most looking for.

I guess I'm looking for the easiest way to get the equivalent of stumbling on a giant box filled with ASIMOV and ELLERY QUEEN at a garage sale, or something like that. Does anyone know the easiest way to do that? Like, is there an ebook collection of a tonne of them you can buy somewhere?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm basically looking for "The Twilight Zone" in book form. Something like trashy maybe-sci-fi or maybe-just-mysteries from pre 1965, let's say. Alfred Hitchcock's mysteries collections are awesome... but I've read a lot of them. I'd say a good twist is what I'm most looking for.

I guess I'm looking for the easiest way to get the equivalent of stumbling on a giant box filled with ASIMOV and ELLERY QUEEN at a garage sale, or something like that. Does anyone know the easiest way to do that? Like, is there an ebook collection of a tonne of them you can buy somewhere?

This or a similar collection by Ray Bradbury. His stories span across several speculative fiction genres and almost all of them have similar themes and moods to the Twilight Zone.

If you can find online samples, check out There Will Come Soft Rains and The Veldt for two good examples.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

DirtyRobot posted:

Yeah, Bradbury for sure, and Philip K Dick has a number of short story collections that sound like they might fit the bill (five total collections and The Philip K Dick Reader, which is "greatest hits" from the five).

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

funkybottoms posted:

Yeah, Bradbury for sure, and Philip K Dick has a number of short story collections that sound like they might fit the bill (five total collections and The Philip K Dick Reader, which is "greatest hits" from the five).

Harlan Ellison's a great writer for that kind of stuff too.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Read posted:

I just finished reading Lev Grossman's The Magicians and I really enjoyed it, though I felt that the second half of the book dragged on a bit and had some un-necessary fluff.

I'm looking for books in a similar vein, ordinary person discovers something fantastic in the world / discovers a new world, doesn't necessarily have to be magic. A love interest is a plus because I'm a sucker for that kind of thing eg: Alice in The Magicians.

More broadly, fantasy but set in the "real world".

For me, The Magicians was kind of a stepping stone from the Harry Potter series I loved as a kid. It's a fair bit more mature than Harry Potter, but I think I'd like something more so.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Joramun posted:

I just finished the sequel to The Magicians, so I'll give this a whirl. Looks interesting, thanks :).

bartok
May 10, 2006

Looking for a decent pulpy modern day horror author that isn't Bentley Little, any recommendations?
I don't hate Bentley Little, it is just that I have read pretty much everything he has written that was halfway decent.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Chunky Delight posted:

Looking for a decent pulpy modern day horror author that isn't Bentley Little, any recommendations?
I don't hate Bentley Little, it is just that I have read pretty much everything he has written that was halfway decent.

You might like Brian Keene or Edward Lee.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
Looking for books that have a Sin City vibe and fit to the whole gritty/noir/hardboiled detective genre that can be funny - not really looking for straight "humor," per say, just stuff in that category that doesn't take itself too seriously.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 22, 2016

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Philo posted:

Looking for books that have a Sin City vibe and fit to the whole gritty/noir/hardboiled detective genre that can be funny - not really looking for straight "humor," per say, just stuff in that category that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Fletch by Gregory McDonald

Gun, with Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem

Both of those are unusual takes on the hardboiled/noir genre. The Lethem has some sci-fi thrown in there as well.

If you haven't read the classic Hammett or Chandler novels, especially The Thin Man, The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep, you really should. Not only are they ground zero for the noir detective genre, but they are often very funny.

Some things that might also fit:

Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon
Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene
The Mortdecai books by Kyril Bonfiglioli

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I really like YA fiction (yeah yeah don't judge me) I have read "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins, The "Matched" series by Ally Condie, The Twilight Series and of course Harry Potter. I am looking for something new to read. I read just for a stress reliever but I have run out of new material! Please help!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I really like YA fiction (yeah yeah don't judge me) I have read "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins, The "Matched" series by Ally Condie, The Twilight Series and of course Harry Potter. I am looking for something new to read. I read just for a stress reliever but I have run out of new material! Please help!

Try Divergent by Veronica Roth, or the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld (I haven't read this myself). You're probably best off checking out Forever Young Adult, specifically their 'required reading' tag.

E: I've also heard good things about Delirium by Lauren Oliver, and for more general YA (you seem to prefer dystopian, like me) check out John Green.

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`
What books are kinda similar to House of Leaves? Other than other books by Danielewski.

Also, I want a good gay novel. Books that I like a lot include the aforementioned HOL, Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk, White Noise by Don Delillo, Burn Collector by Al Burian (which I know is more of a zine collection than a novel) and I really love Jorge Luis Borges. Are there any good gay novels that are pretty crazy and well written? I don't want the book to have like literal steamy gay scenes, not that into erotica, just possibly a gay main character or something who deals with some crazy possibly horror element. That would be good

Finally, does anyone know a way to get Communion by Whitley Strieber on my Kindle? It's not in the amazon store. Hopefully that's not a :filez: question, if it is, don't answer it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Look into just about anything by Diana Wynne Jones or Robin McKinley. If you like scifi, Robert Heinlein's "juveniles" are pretty good, or most stuff by Andre Norton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
Over the past few weeks I have been binging on the Wire, the HBO show. I really love it and I'm familiar with David Simon's other books, but can anyone recommend any literature that's along the same lines as the show?