Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

it plays the music as well :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

close thread. kgs cannot compete

I actually contacted these guys and inquired about doing server scaling / development with them the other day. They're open sourcing pieces of it as they are deemed stable, which is a huge step up from wms and his lovely closed source java system. It'd be nice to have an extensible API to work off of and play with, but I wonder if it'll ever reach the numbers KGS has.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Azazel posted:

I actually contacted these guys and inquired about doing server scaling / development with them the other day. They're open sourcing pieces of it as they are deemed stable, which is a huge step up from wms and his lovely closed source java system. It'd be nice to have an extensible API to work off of and play with, but I wonder if it'll ever reach the numbers KGS has.

KGS will be an extremely hard stone to shift, but I think that over time, if Kaya.gs offers more to people and captures a new generation of Go players, then it will. Lord knows it deserves to when the developers have the kind of open-mindedness and modern thinking you just mentioned.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I thought kaya.gs was a joke? Ive been away to long. I really need a laptop :smith:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The General posted:

I thought kaya.gs was a joke? Ive been away to long. I really need a laptop :smith:

A lot of people doubted it would take off because it was making some very ambitious claims and had nothing to show. Having seen the Alpha for myself now I must say I'm impressed. Only just now I got a message from one of the developers, who fixed a problem with Chrome (in code) for me right on the spot, he even rebooted the server there and then.

These guys have the right attitude, the only thing I worry about is that there are many players, almost all of which haven't used it, that aren't taking it seriously. They will need support and funding in order to scale up the servers (to handle the influx) when they open after beta. If they can support lots of users, it will be a hit.

Already there's features and functionality that people have been begging for in KGS for years appearing with each new alpha update. Simple touches like timestamp, and notifications if people mention your name in chat. Some completely unique features include Malkovich comments (you can type /ma [message] whilst playing a game which only the spectators, not your opponent, can see) which allows players to show the audience why they have made the moves they have.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 28, 2012

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I saw your seriousposts on L19 and I was disturbed. Where is the drunk, angry, unreasonable oiseaux I have come to know and ignore??

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Can you make the board bigger in kaya? My monitor is smallish and the playing area is about 2"x2" real size on my screen based off your shot.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Under 15 posted:

I saw your seriousposts on L19 and I was disturbed. Where is the drunk, angry, unreasonable oiseaux I have come to know and ignore??

Seriously the entire Go community is comprised solely of old men

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Seriously the entire Go community is comprised solely of old men

Old men and teenagers, sounds about right.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

They will need support and funding in order to scale up the servers (to handle the influx) when they open after beta. If they can support lots of users, it will be a hit.

This is along the lines of what I talked to them about. Even if the service peaked at over 25k total users there's not much behind scaling the servers. The backend runs Node.js on top of Redis (Juggernaut), and does message passing to the browser via socket.io. I've played with this tech a bit and am pretty sure they won't get crushed by an insane amount of users. The technology definitely scales easily enough, it's not much effort to drop a new web/app/db server in.

As for funding, they've already raised $8k USD which covers costs for a simple server cluster on any service (Amazon, Rackspace) for a few years, and I imagine donations vs. costs will even out if they become remotely popular. Their actual goal is to turn this into a full time job, but I'm somewhat skeptical unless another phenomenon like HIkaru no Go comes along and boosts Go's popularity again.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
If it will be free to register once it comes out, how do they plan on making much profit from it?

Nevertheless, more go servers is always a good thing. I would definitely give it a try.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Played my first game on KGS, lost by 107 with a nine stone handicap and everything. I let it estimate me at 26k and that seems ambitious even.

I thought I was doing good then I was doing badly then I was doing ok then I was losing.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Played my first game on KGS, lost by 107 with a nine stone handicap and everything. I let it estimate me at 26k and that seems ambitious even.

I thought I was doing good then I was doing badly then I was doing ok then I was losing.

This is how it starts (and stays for awhile). Just pay attention and ask for reviews.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. There are some websites where you can find tesuji to practice, but I don't really have the patience to do tesuji on my PC. I found an app for my Android, but I didn't really like its interface.

Now, I'm a programmer, and I could really use some mobile experience, so the obvious answer would be to just make my own. Only, I don't have any tesuji. Would anyone happen to know of some free database or something I could use? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
The only free online database I can think of off the top of my head is https://www.goproblems.com
It's basically thousands of user-submitted problems ranging from tesuji to life and death to endgame to anything else.

On the same note, I also have an android phone and have been looking for some good problem apps. I got "Master of Go", and while the problems themselves are good, the program has flaws (labeling only one line as correct when multiple lines achieve the same thing, etc), and more than half of the problems are too hard for me. So if you figure something out, let me know!

Happysafer
Feb 12, 2007

"You idiots!"
Posting this because someone else might find it useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftbtpb4KZnE

It's a video about 3-3 invasions. Pubbies kept opening with them and I needed to know what to do.

Happysafer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 3, 2012

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Let's pitch for ranked rengo on kaya so someone can carry me to shodan :(

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Under 15 posted:

You don't need that...

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
I used to play Go online a lot a couple of years ago. Not sure why I stopped, but I think I moved up the ranks fairly quickly (from about 23kyu to 15kyu in a month on KGS, baring in mind I played most days and studied A LOT of life and death puzzles). The best thing about playing Go online is the players: they are just so friendly and really want to help others improve their game. I think I might find sometime this week to get into it again, I really enjoyed it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Under 15 posted:

$100 and the feature is yours!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

My greatest rengo experience was getting drunk and playing a game partnered with a 3-dan. When it got late and he had to bail to catch his bus, the 7-dan sat down to take over, had a look at the board and resigned on our behalf. I was sober by then :(

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

Well, they'd probably never agree to ranked rengo but the whole platform will eventually be open sourced. They've already opened up parts of it, so if the codebase gets sufficiently mature you could start your own server with all kinds of wacky anime features

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Alright I did the tutorial and I'm ready to get my face stomped in repeatedly on KGS. We'll see how this goes.

Edit: Played a game against Sheamus on a 9x9, was doing okay until I did an incredibly retarded self-atari :downs: Will play more later, this is fun.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 23, 2012

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

They seem to have changed the rank anchors or something, so everyone went up about 15-20% of a stone. Enjoy your new found strength!

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I don't really have the schedule for live games anymore but if anyone wants to play me on DGS I'd be delighted to lose a game or two

Apparently a 16k there is equivalent to a KGS 11k

The free third party DGS iPhone app is like.. weirdly high quality

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I just registered an account on Tygem 3 stones weaker than my KGS account and I keep getting smoked. Asians are too good at go :(

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Is there a way I can fix my rank on Tygem so I can always play people much better than me?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Is there a way I can fix my rank on Tygem so I can always play people much better than me?

Tequila.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Is there by chance a words with friends type app/server that will do ios-android cross-platform play? Ideally, you'd have 'infinite' time per move as each player wouldn't necessarily be at their phone at any given time, and you could theoretically just play like 10 games at the same time to make up for the slow pace.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Dragon Go (not to be confused with the voice-to-text app of the same name) does this, but I don't know if there's a mobile app.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Argue posted:

Dragon Go (not to be confused with the voice-to-text app of the same name) does this, but I don't know if there's a mobile app.

There's a mobile app for both platforms, but there isn't a setting for truly unlimited time. However, it could be made to have effectively unlimited time (e.g. Fischer time set for 1 month with some ridiculous main time).

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 29, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Maybe taking turns on an SGF file stored on dropbox?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

There's a list of turn-based go sites here: http://senseis.xmp.net/?TurnBasedGoServers

It looks like http://go.davepeck.org/ specifically might be what you want.

Web-based with no plugins means it should run fine on both android and iOS, and when I tried starting a sample game, I couldn't see any time limits.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

surc posted:

There's a list of turn-based go sites here: http://senseis.xmp.net/?TurnBasedGoServers

It looks like http://go.davepeck.org/ specifically might be what you want.

Web-based with no plugins means it should run fine on both android and iOS, and when I tried starting a sample game, I couldn't see any time limits.
Thanks, I'll take a look into that sometime later today

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
All the way up to 4k now. I've moved up 2 stones without any studying.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

A useful bit of information to add to the OP might be why the kyu ranks count from high to low, but then the dan ranks count from low to high. It's clear to people who know already, but it's not intuitive to a Go newbie that a player progressing in ranks will go from 2 kyu, to 1 kyu, then to 1 dan, then to 2 dan, and so forth.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

5k! Although not for long, need to adjust to the new difficulty. Looks like I'm roughly on target for 3k by end of year...

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

5k! Although not for long, need to adjust to the new difficulty. Looks like I'm roughly on target for 3k by end of year...

Come at me bro!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I played a go and beat a solid 9k as white. I feel good about this. I will play more gos shortly. I do not claim that I will announce those future gos.

Anyway let's say I'm looking to be solid 7k by the end of the year. And yes I know this is not lofty but give me a break I'm wrapping up school and I'm trying to find a job. Then when I find one I have to get settled in.

If I get 7k well before the end of the year I'll push it to 5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I figure the people who'd be interested probably already know, but go game guru is starting a deal where they'll stream BadukTV. For a month, they're running it off BadukTV's stream for free, before switching to their higher quality setup and charging.

Warning: If you do not know much about go, you will likely be bored out of your skull listening to people talk in korean and make moves you don't get.
http://gogameguru.com/baduk-tv-live/