Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

zari-gani posted:

Gauntlet was one of few NES games I had growing up. I hate this game but the music is amazing, so I pretty much played it only for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KQkBXjk6w4

Yeah, the Gauntlet music is another super fond memory of childhood, I loved it a bunch! This link made me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Slightly unrelated kacho-talk : Does anyone know if Episode 53 of LINCOLN has ever been subbed? Even just the 'friendly' segments would do.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Someone's working on it, but he's a terrible person and is taking way too long.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If I remember right, the person working on it was Zari-gani, and she's kind of got some other stuff on her plate. :v:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure Nipponophile is the person working on it. You don't have to feel bad about not translating and timing a piece of Japanese variety TV for us for free; we're all grateful for how much cool stuff we've been getting and you don't need to be self-effacing for not getting it out RIGHT THIS INSTANT. Hell, TV Nihon took an eternity to put out one episode, but it was still a pleasant surprise when they did, regardless of punctuality or quality.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I translated it a while ago and Nipponophile is timing it, yeah.

Speaking of other stuff on my plate, I haven't begun work on the DVD yet but I've been too busy with my day job to work on anything else (or even play Mass Effect 3 :( Reapers are completely destroying my hometown as we speak). I'd like to get at least a few fansubs done before I'm swamped though.

I just received the original Japanese transcripts of the episodes which I'm super stoked about.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
@zarigani
Do you need help translating the Korean for the Tamage segment in episode 51 (Sword of Musahahi)?

joek0 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 20, 2012

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

zari-gani posted:

I just received the original Japanese transcripts of the episodes which I'm super stoked about.

Complete with Kibe's hand-written annotations and Alex Kidd doodles in the margins?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I wish! These transcripts are just typed out in excel spreadsheets.

joek0 posted:

@zarigani
Do you need help translating the Korean for the Tamage segment in episode 51 (Sword of Musahahi?

I'll be fine -- There's not much to translate.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Random Stranger posted:

They do not activate on steam.

Quite the shame, might just pick them up for the hell of it anyway. Thanks.

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

You wanted the best of the best, remember?

Should we sing about it again?

Liku posted:

Quite the shame, might just pick them up for the hell of it anyway. Thanks.

If we're still talking about playing Ecco on PC then another alternative (for the first game at least) is the actual PC port put out by Sega back in the day, which benefits from higher resolution (640x480, although the ports emulated ROMs on Steam may display at whatever res you want) as well as including the Sega CD soundtrack and cutscenes from the sequel which just summarize the events of the first game. I was somewhat surprised to discover it supports analog control via a joystick/gamepad, although in my testing using the button to accelerate was still much more precise.

Finding a physical copy in the wild these days would probably be difficult but you might see it pop up on eBay. My copy is a 2-in-1 with some other edutainment game on the disc, the name of which escapes me.

In the event you do acquire it (by whatever means) you will most likely need the Ecco PC Wizard from Caverns of Hope to get it running, unless you happen to run Windows 95. The Wizard also lets you skip the annoyingly long intro which is nice.

On a side note, the alien queen gave me many a nightmare as a child. Terrifying.

7c Nickel posted:

I've always liked watching him react to "strange" western games. For that reason, I'd love to see him take on The Ooze.

I mentioned Roger Rabbit once before, but it makes me a little sad that some of the games I'd most enjoy as challenges are English only releases (namely WFRR, Startropics 1 and 2, Nightshade and the first GI Joe, although Jaws and Friday the 13th would be great for comedic value) which, even if they brought in an NES to play them on, still come with language barriers (although I'd imagine Joe could still be played well enough despite that). I still have Battletoads to be thankful for at least.

Fingers crossed that Blaster Master and/or Vice: Project Doom and/or Guardian Legend come down the pipe someday. More Nekketsu/Kunio-kun would be nice too, or Clash at Demonhead or Ducktales or TMNT or Bionic Commando or Crystalis or Shadow of the Ninja or...

... I better kill this post before I list every NES game I ever played. Arino should really play Ducktales though.

Vlaphor posted:

My personal favorite Sega CD soundtrack probably goes to the Terminator game

Your links are dead now but I looked up an LP and color me impressed. That really is a killer soundtrack. I would've never played this game but I definitely will now.

Sweet William fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 21, 2012

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Um, these rumours that Arino's been hospitalized aren't real, are they? :(

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Stoat posted:

Um, these rumours that Arino's been hospitalized aren't real, are they? :(

What? Where are these rumours from?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

What? Where are these rumours from?

Ugh, I'm an idiot. A friend of mine is a big fan of CX and told me he heard the rumours from 'that really big Japanese forum'. I assumed he meant 2ch. He meant 4chan. God drat it, sorry.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Stoat posted:

Ugh, I'm an idiot. A friend of mine is a big fan of CX and told me he heard the rumours from 'that really big Japanese forum'. I assumed he meant 2ch. He meant 4chan. God drat it, sorry.
Maybe he misread something and they were talking about when that happened a few years ago, which lead to the "Chief Returns" episode. I really hope that it's either that, or those 4chan assholes are spreading the worst rumor ever conceived by man, and Arino isn't actually hospitalized (although I'm sure someone who knows Japanese and reads GCCX forums on Japanese sites might be the first to find out and tell us). :(

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Stoat posted:

My feed reader doesn't mention anything. In fact, Arino posted a blog 6 hours ago.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

What's up with him getting sick all the time, anyway?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

What's up with him getting sick all the time, anyway?

In all seriousness it's probably a combination of no one willing to stay home when they're sick so everything spreads around and how his schedule as an entertainer keeps him in a constant state of exhaustion.

Kleevah
Oct 29, 2011
Came across this kind of randomly, but I thought some of you might enjoy it. It's a subbed episode of AMETALK about gundam featuring Arino and some other japanese comedians.

http://jburogu-godzillaradio.blogspot.com/2011/11/video-subbing-ametalk-gundam-comedians.html

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just found a bunch of Game Center CX videos that I didn't know existed a few days ago. Here's AD Emoto asleep on the floor of Gascoin's offices with the Lemmings strategy guide still close by:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Actually I just watched the 13-minute pre-show hosted by Toujima that played before the 24H Lemmings challenge. Toujima wasn't kidding when he described how nervous he was in the documentary.

Johanz
Nov 3, 2010
I think I just did the nerdiest thing. My credit card is sorta on its last legs. The protective plastic has fallen off completely and it is gonna fall apart any minute so I did what anyone would do. Order a new one.

With a new motif.

GCCX motif.

(A John Doe card with horrible JPG compression there but I used a super high res version of the pixel sprite so it should be okay when... if, it arrives. Also, you cant use copyrighted imagery for the card really but since GCCX seem to like its fans I doubt they would mind if I took this obscure pixel Arino I remade from a photo for my credit card~)

I can't really decide if I have done something awesome or something really terrible. Probably a mix of both.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

^ Unquestionably awesome, no need to worry.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You did something terrible...
You forgot to give Arino snacks, how will he make it through the game? :(

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
With his expert knowledge of 'Cream Lemon'.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Status update: I start translating for the DVD next week. I'm going out of town this weekend, so I translated as many episodes as I could during the free week I had. I finished three episodes and there are still two episodes translated-but-in-the-queue so that's five episodes by me upcoming in total, plus Nagoyan is working on a very ambitious one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looking forward to it! It's been a while since the last episode, hasn't it? Don't see this thread popping up nearly that often anymore.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So, out of curiosity, how long do you work on a "normal" episode of GCCX for the group and how long do you think it'll take to do the DVD work? I'm not suggesting you do lax work for us at all, just curious if you plan to spend more time going over the DVD stuff with a fine tooth comb than you might for the sub group. Will having the transcripts speed up the process at all?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Not sure how long it takes me to do an episode for SAGCCX. I know I can do an episode per day, but I take lots of little breaks so I wouldn't know the exact time.

As for the DVD episodes... Because they don't have extra segments they're much shorter. The best part is having the Japanese transcripts available. When working for SAGCCX, sometimes I'll spend several minutes stuck on a single line; it's from having to listening to it over and over to make sure I'm hearing it correctly or getting the wording right. The transcript will solve that problem.

At the same time, this won't be hobby translating. It'll be an actual job and a product people are gonna spend their hard-earned money on. So just as you said, I'm more than likely going to comb over the lines over and over to make extra sure my translation is 100%. Because of that, I'll likely end up spending MORE time on them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

All of the SAGCCX translations have been of consistently high quality, and here you are saying they're the more half-rear end of the two? Good on you! :haw:

I downloaded a bunch of TV Nihon episodes last week and have been making my way through them. The overall translation quality is the pits--not even including their tendency to leave in Japanese words that have perfectly good English equivalents--and the number of outright, often simple errors is shocking to a translator like myself. Just makes me that much more excited for the next SAGCCX and official translations to hit the 'Net/market.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I rewatched a TV Nihon episode of GCCX while I was eating lunch the other day.

It just makes me that much more glad that I don't see "translator's note" on SAGCCX episodes. It also makes me glad that you guys try to localize things instead of leaving them untranslated.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Good to see a status update on the official episodes. I hope there will be preparatory drumming up once the discs go gold. It would be great to hear some anecdotes on official translation work with a series we all love.

In any case, sounds like a whole slew of GCCX goodness, goonwork or not, will be coming in the near future.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zari-gani posted:

At the same time, this won't be hobby translating. It'll be an actual job and a product people are gonna spend their hard-earned money on. So just as you said, I'm more than likely going to comb over the lines over and over to make extra sure my translation is 100%. Because of that, I'll likely end up spending MORE time on them.

Well, your previous work has been great so far. The work that everyone's done for SA has been professional quality. Unlike the other translations, it seems like you people actually care about the show and know how to translate things. I'm sure you'll knock these DVDs out of the park.

That, or go crazy, and just romanize the Japanese speech, and include at the top of the screen "Translator note: this phrase means (x)."

Just according to kaiku.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Hirayuki posted:

The overall translation quality is the pits--not even including their tendency to leave in Japanese words that have perfectly good English equivalents--and the number of outright, often simple errors is shocking to a translator like myself.
Some of the errors make me wonder if the guy doing the translating actually knows anything about videogames. Turning "Vic Viper" into "Big Viper" is just :psyduck:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

Some of the errors make me wonder if the guy doing the translating actually knows anything about videogames. Turning "Vic Viper" into "Big Viper" is just :psyduck:

But without TV Nihon, I would have never known about the infinite lives trick with the Nokonoko.

:suicide:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just started watching this and I love it. One question, how come they blurred out the screen when he goes to see the guy who has all the famicom games? Is it illegal to look at the hacked galaga cart?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Just started watching this and I love it. One question, how come they blurred out the screen when he goes to see the guy who has all the famicom games? Is it illegal to look at the hacked galaga cart?

The theory is that the show was concerned about the sponsors. They are dependent on getting permission from the game companies to feature them in the challenges. So featuring a pirate version of a game that was much better than the actual game that the company released might upset someone at Konami and then you wouldn't have great episodes like Contra and Castlevania 3.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Anything else worth mentioning on the American dvd release. Extras, looks at the show, a special challenge recorded for GCCX's first ever overseas dvd release, things like that?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

If there's anything worth mentioning it wouldn't be prudent of me to reveal it before Discotek announces it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Kleevah posted:

Came across this kind of randomly, but I thought some of you might enjoy it. It's a subbed episode of AMETALK about gundam featuring Arino and some other japanese comedians.

http://jburogu-godzillaradio.blogspot.com/2011/11/video-subbing-ametalk-gundam-comedians.html

Arino does barely anything but I still enjoyed it because I'm also a Gundam nerd.