Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Xander77 posted:

I should just check the game when I get my computer back, but I might as well ask: Can you get double (tripple etc) xp for knocking the same guy out over and over?

Nope, if a dude wakes up you can knock him out again but you won't get experience for it. (I guess I should say, "is woken up," since no one will wake up on their own as far as I know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CaptainRat posted:

Nope, if a dude wakes up you can knock him out again but you won't get experience for it. (I guess I should say, "is woken up," since no one will wake up on their own as far as I know.)
Hmm. Do they get another weapon if I grabbed theirs?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So at the recommendation of everyone ever, I started playing Deadly Premonition. I can barely figure out what the hell is going on. Am I supposed to be doing something during the "profiling" sequences? Is Agent York autistic or something?

Seriously, I just drove the town's sheriff to a city park where human remains lay on the ground. The sheriff got out of the car and bitched about me stopping, then proceeded to walk several miles to the hospital we were going to. As I picked up the human remains with my bare hands, York remarked that he should probably tell someone about this. When he joins the sheriff at the hospital, he doesn't say a thing. I can't tell whether this game is brilliant or terrible. Except for the controls and camera, those are definitely terrible.

This is one of the best descriptions of the game I've read.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Xander77 posted:

I don't know, that situation has never came up when I was playing. If I was in a situation where a guard I was knocking out was going to get discovered by another guard (say with the tranq rifle from range) I generally wasn't in a position to grab his stuff; conversely, if the guard was solo and I had the time to loot him, I dragged him into the bathroom and put him in the urinal with the others rather than leaving him for other guards to find and wake up. I don't see much point to it either way, unless he does spawn a new weapon, in which case I guess you could use that to farm for ammo (which is plentiful enough to be unnecessary unless you're sticking to one weapon exclusively, but even with nonlethal weapons you have three guns to choose from plus takedowns so ammo shouldn't be a problem).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

One last Human Revolution question for a while (shame the thread is dead). I got into the habit of knocking out cops n the street and selling their combat rifles at 630 credits each. As long as I don't get spotted and rushed by a bunch of enforcers, this won't be coming back to haunt me, right?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CaptainRat posted:

I dragged him into the bathroom and put him in the urinal with the others

Imagine being the janitor that day.

"Hum-dee-dum, time to WHAT THE gently caress? I've heard of napping on the job, but this is ridiculous. Can you guys move so I can clean that toilet?"

Regarding enemies waking other enemies, I've found that in a few situations, it's actually beneficial to tranq a mook when he's in plain sight--a buddy of his (whose patrol route makes it difficult for you to snipe him) will see the body and leave his route to investigate, giving you a clear shot at him. Bonus points if buddy #2's body falls onto buddy #1's in an undignified position.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So in Dead Space 2, alot of the achievement guides for the higher difficulties say the force gun is great. I bought it as soon as it became available on normal since I used it alot in the first one and found it pretty useful. In 2 though it's taking 5 or 6 shots for even those basic crawler things with the long tails and it fires so slowly that I nearly always get hit. Is it one of those things that just gets way better as you upgrade it or what? Doesn't really matter since weapons are so cheap and I'm enjoying the game so much that I'll play through it a couple times and try out everything but I'd like to know if I'm completely using it wrong or whatever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xander77 posted:

One last Human Revolution question for a while (shame the thread is dead). I got into the habit of knocking out cops n the street and selling their combat rifles at 630 credits each. As long as I don't get spotted and rushed by a bunch of enforcers, this won't be coming back to haunt me, right?
Not that I've seen.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Regarding enemies waking other enemies, I've found that in a few situations, it's actually beneficial to tranq a mook when he's in plain sight--a buddy of his (whose patrol route makes it difficult for you to snipe him) will see the body and leave his route to investigate, giving you a clear shot at him. Bonus points if buddy #2's body falls onto buddy #1's in an undignified position.
It's rarely worth the loss of the (500 XP!) Ghost bonus, though.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Colon V posted:

Not that I've seen.

It's rarely worth the loss of the (500 XP!) Ghost bonus, though.

You only lose Ghost if they go see you; if they're just Alarmed by discovering their buddy's body (and then subsequently slumping over themselves because they just got tranqed in the cheek) you're still considered unseen for the purposes of the Ghost bonus.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Xander77 posted:

No. I've murdered the entire police station and as long as I made it into the sewers without being spotted, there were no consequences.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Xander77 posted:

Every time this happened to me (almost always in the seemingly-endless office building near the endgame), the dude I had just looted ended up having a pistol again when his friend who I had somehow not noticed found him and woke him up, so it seems that they carry (probably infinite) back-up pistols.

Also the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement can go to hell. I had no difficulty doing a non-lethal playthrough, and I am positive I never encountered an active alarm in the entire game, but clearly somewhere along the line a guard activated a silent alarm under a desk or something since I did not get it when the game ended. Jerks.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Help I hate myself and want to play a bad jRPG so I picked up FF13 for :10bux:. What do I need to know to play it and not hate it as much as I probably will?

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Ramadu posted:

Help I hate myself and want to play a bad jRPG so I picked up FF13 for :10bux:. What do I need to know to play it and not hate it as much as I probably will?

If you care about completionism do not sell, dismantle, or upgrade any accessories until you know what you're doing because some of them you can't obtain again. Anything else is fair game though, and nothing else is missable. You might also want to look up info on how the upgrade system works, it's not as random/difficult as it appears but it's really poorly explained in game.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ramadu posted:

It's a really terrible linear joyride through bland hell for the first dozen hours or so but then it opens up and becomes a genuinely good and fun game with cool sub-systems and a lot of flexibility in your customization of characters and such.

Just keep repeating as a mantra "Chapter 11 will happen. Chapter 11 will happen."

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Ramadu posted:

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_13

The only other thing I'd add is that all the combat roles have their place. Buffing and debuffing can be really powerful, and sometimes you just need a sentinel. The only people I know of who really got roadblocked on that game didn't experiment with different paradigms.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Quarex posted:

Also the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement can go to hell. I had no difficulty doing a non-lethal playthrough, and I am positive I never encountered an active alarm in the entire game, but clearly somewhere along the line a guard activated a silent alarm under a desk or something since I did not get it when the game ended. Jerks.
It may have happened in the police station. From what I hear, the alarms in that place may be a bit buggy.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Colon V posted:

It may have happened in the police station. From what I hear, the alarms in that place may be a bit buggy.
A fair point. I did the mostly-keeping-police-on-good-side runthrough, but I also certainly was sneaking around in there at some point, so that is probably exactly what happened. Thanks!

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Anything for the NES Kid Icarus?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

What should I know before I play Devil Survivor 2 ?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any tips for The Darkness?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey bros, I just dived into Planescape after having it on my hard drive for basically ever. I never played these old school games so I need a little help from the pros:

-I'm led to believe I should be using violence as little as possible, right? I keep getting way more experiences for tricksy conversational maneuvering than killing people (though I assume poo poo like random thugs will always fight you?)

-Can I sell stuff? I'm in the starting town and can't find any shopkeeps. My inventory is full to bursting with crap like leather straps and wooden clubs. Should I just drop them? And can I drop these random notes after reading them or do they come in handy later? Do I ever get a place to store poo poo?

-Is there any reason not to set it to 'always run'?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Wolfsheim posted:

-I'm led to believe I should be using violence as little as possible, right? I keep getting way more experiences for tricksy conversational maneuvering than killing people (though I assume poo poo like random thugs will always fight you?)

-Can I sell stuff? I'm in the starting town and can't find any shopkeeps. My inventory is full to bursting with crap like leather straps and wooden clubs. Should I just drop them? And can I drop these random notes after reading them or do they come in handy later? Do I ever get a place to store poo poo?

-Is there any reason not to set it to 'always run'?

1.) You got it. Wisdom and recalled memories give you zounds more experience than any combat possibly could (aside from UnderSigil cheesing, but that's scarcely needed).

2.) I can't remember a use for the leather straps or if you could even sell them, but you can find the Hive marketplace in the southwest quadrant.

3.) No.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Don't worry about money in Planescape. The best stuff is dropped and the only thing you'll be using money for are buying tattoos/upgrades for TNO and a few other items (BUY THE MODRON CUBE).

Cbouncerrun posted:

Any tips for The Darkness?

It's a pretty straightforward game but there's one sidequest that stumped everyone. During the final assassination side quest (I believe you have to kill a police deputy or something), you'll be in an alleyway with high windows. The game says the mark will appear here but he doesn't. He's actually in one of the windows and you have to send one of your snake things to kill him. This took everyone forever to figure out because all the windows look the same and the one he's in is distinguishable only by a small amount of light pouring out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wolfsheim posted:

"As little as possible" still means you'll be fighting a hell of a lot. There are plenty of combat situations that are unavoidable.

absolomb
Nov 26, 2004
Putting the "emo" back in "chemotherapy".

thebardyspoon posted:

So in Dead Space 2, alot of the achievement guides for the higher difficulties say the force gun is great. I bought it as soon as it became available on normal since I used it alot in the first one and found it pretty useful. In 2 though it's taking 5 or 6 shots for even those basic crawler things with the long tails and it fires so slowly that I nearly always get hit. Is it one of those things that just gets way better as you upgrade it or what? Doesn't really matter since weapons are so cheap and I'm enjoying the game so much that I'll play through it a couple times and try out everything but I'd like to know if I'm completely using it wrong or whatever.

Honestly, I've never been a fan of the force gun. It's definitely pretty powerful when it's upgraded, but I found little use for it. I think it's better as an AoE stun weapon when you're surrounded by a lot of enemies rather than a straight up murder machine. I used the plasma cutter and pulse rifle for 90% of my hardcore playthrough, along with the line cutter for brutes and the contact beam for the last chapter or so.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

al-azad posted:

Don't worry about money in Planescape. The best stuff is dropped and the only thing you'll be using money for are buying tattoos/upgrades for TNO and a few other items (BUY THE MODRON CUBE).

It's a pretty straightforward game but there's one sidequest that stumped everyone. During the final assassination side quest (I believe you have to kill a police deputy or something), you'll be in an alleyway with high windows. The game says the mark will appear here but he doesn't. He's actually in one of the windows and you have to send one of your snake things to kill him. This took everyone forever to figure out because all the windows look the same and the one he's in is distinguishable only by a small amount of light pouring out.

This one kept me busy for a whole hour - I was sure the drat game had glitched out on me.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Shops are in the southwest quadrant of the Hive.

You don't need to hang on to the notes; anything interesting in them is copied to your journal once you read them. (I like to keep them anyways, but I also have a complete library in Morrowind, so.)

You never get an official place to store poo poo, but anything you drop will say where it is; I like to use the itty bitty tomb next to the Mausoleum as a storage locker.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
On the subject of Final Fantasy XIII, how do I know which weapons to upgrade? Are they all pretty good to upgrade? Is there a reason to not upgrade anything until later? I'm in Chapter 5 or 6 right now, if it matters.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Pick one with a passive you like and go with it, because I'm pretty sure there weren't any major power differences. You can start whenever, but it's much easier to just do it closer to the end of the game when you can sink all your gil into buying components from the shop as you need them. Besides, you're going to be stuck at a certain point anyway without a specific item (the item itself depends on which weapon you're upgrading).

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
Just about to start up Temple of Elemental Evil, what do I need to know?

e: Also Anachronox

Zotwoz fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 2, 2012

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Zotwoz posted:

Just about to start up Temple of Elemental Evil, what do I need to know?
The Circle of Eight mod adds a lot of content. Saved games are not portable between the regular game and the modded version, so you may want to install that before you sink a dozen hours into the game and start running into buggy or unfinished material. The Co8 stuff is linked (along with a lot of helpful suggestions) on the wiki page.

TOEE isn't a character-driven story. Every NPC can be killed, and you're not going to become personally invested in any of their stories. You might not remember the names of the characters in your party. You won't discover even a quarter of the sidequests during your first playthrough unless you're obsessive, and the rewards are so inconsequential that you won't complete those sidequests unless you're masochistic. It's all about building a well-rounded (or, in subsequent playthroughs, hilariously gimmicky) party and then beating down everything that the game can throw at you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It isn't actually out yet, but anything for Xenoblade Chronicles?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GulMadred posted:

The Circle of Eight mod adds a lot of content. Saved games are not portable between the regular game and the modded version, so you may want to install that before you sink a dozen hours into the game and start running into buggy or unfinished material. The Co8 stuff is linked (along with a lot of helpful suggestions) on the wiki page.

TOEE isn't a character-driven story. Every NPC can be killed, and you're not going to become personally invested in any of their stories. You might not remember the names of the characters in your party. You won't discover even a quarter of the sidequests during your first playthrough unless you're obsessive, and the rewards are so inconsequential that you won't complete those sidequests unless you're masochistic. It's all about building a well-rounded (or, in subsequent playthroughs, hilariously gimmicky) party and then beating down everything that the game can throw at you.
To add onto this, the game is kind of a dick, so don't feel guilty about playing a slightly broken (but balanced) party.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Picked up Dark Souls and Red Dead Redemption. Anything I should know that isn't in the wiki?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

GulMadred posted:

Adding to that:

- Healing potions can be used like spells i.e. you activate them and can then use them on other characters other then yourself. Use this to let non-healers...well, heal. Beware, using a potion provokes an attack of opportunity.

- The Read Magic spell also identifies potions. Go figure :iiam: Save you a lot of cash though.

- At lower levels, smart use of non-damage spells can save your arse. Web is my favourite, since it'll screw up the enemy's melee rush and disrupt spellcasting. Cast it on a group, set your melee guys up at the edge and hack down anything that gets free.

- Exploit attacks of opportunity for all they're worth. Get in close to spellcasters and archers, leave small gaps in your line to draw in anyone wanting to attack your casters so they have to run a gauntlet and if you have a Monk trip anything that's not obviously really strong (and once you get Improved Trip at lvl6, you can even risk that).

- Flank enemies. Anyone attacking from behind gets a flank bonus to their attack chance, plus rogues get their sneak attacks when flanking. No more trying to hide mid-fight.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
I just realised i still have a working DS and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance A2, I'm about halfway through the game on it, just rescued Vaan and Penelo from bangaas, is there any big fuckyou fight coming up that i need to start preparing for?

Also, what's a good team to build up? My current roster is three main characters (Main guy, cit and that girl i can't remember the name of) as fighter turned thief, bishop with fighter skillset and paladin with white magick respectively, then I have a nu mou black mage/time mage, a hume ninja with high magick and a bangaa dragoon with fighter skillset. They seem to be doing alright but battles are frustratingly slow and I heard there were some skillsets that really broke the game

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dark Souls

When making your character, the Master Key gift is the best one to take. Everything else is either inconsequential or easy to find, and while you can buy the Master Key later on, you'll miss out on some stuff in the meantime.

The Pyromancer is the generally accepted "starter class" since you get Fireball right off the bat which is amazingly handy early on, and you start at Soul Level 1, the lowest of any of the starter classes. This is good, because SL only determines how many souls it costs to buy a level in a stat.

Bear in mind that class selection only impacts what your starting stats and gear are, and after a while you're free to tweak your build to your liking. For example my pyromancer is now a halberd-swinging, rapier-poking heavy armoured warrior.

The part about equip weight in the wiki must have been written right after the game came out. You have infinite carrying capacity but your "encumbrance" is affected by how much stuff you have equipped - including gear in both slots for each hand but not including arrows and bolts. If the weight of your equipment is less than 25% of your maximum equip weight you move and roll very quickly; if it's less than 50% you move at a normal speed; if it's over 50% then you move slowly and fatty-roll when you dodge. Try and stay below that 50% mark, avoiding or blocking blows is the best way to survive and there are hardly any armours that will let you just tank everything.

Your shield is your best friend. Important things to look out for in early shields are physical reduction - the percentage of physical damage that is negated when you block with enough stamina - and stability - the higher that is the less stamina you lose per block. The first merchant sells a heater shield with 100% physical reduction which is very helpful.

The first merchant also sells a short bow. Even if you never plan on using ranged combat to any real extent, buy a shortbow and plenty arrows, and get your stats high enough to use it. This will allow you to pull single enemies away from distant groups so that they rush you and you can face them one on one.

When you die (which you will, and often) you lose any souls you were carrying, as well as "liquid" humanity (which is humanity that appears in the counter in the top left) but not "solid" humanity (which you can use to gain liquid humanity), soul items which can be used to add a few hundred souls, or anything else in your inventory. If you can get back to your bloodstain where you died you can pick it all up again, but if you die a second time that first bloodstain will vanish and you'll lose the souls and humanity. This is not a big deal. Don't be hasty to get back to the bloodstain or you'll just die and lose it.

You will die, a lot. Eventually you stop getting stressed about it. Dark Souls doesn't hate you, it wants you to learn. It's less abusive parent and more drill sergeant.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Human Revolution - The Missing Link

The "Factory" achievement requires you not to use guns or Praxis kits.

1. Does picking up guns count as using them, or do you have to shoot?

2. Do praxis kits count just the ones you find/buy, or do the ones you get "naturally" due to xp also count?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Red Dead Redemption.
Some of it reiterates what is in the wiki, but anyhow:

- Do the missions around Bonnie's ranch first. They serve as a tutorial for the most part, and you get things there that you'll find useful through the rest of the game.
- If you're wearing the bandanna, your shenanigans won't affect your reputation
- At some point in the game you'll go on a short boat ride, and find yourself in a new area. Don't get off your horse right away, or you'll ruin the atmosphere.
- Listen for rattlesnakes. If your horse keels over for no reason, chances are they were bit by a snake.
- Cougars don't always hunt alone. Bears rarely do. Keep an eye out.
- You can't always complete all the challenges right away. For example, some of the hunting challenges are for animals you won't encounter until later areas. The map that comes in the game case shows general locations of a lot of animals.
- Check out the newspapers if you want to keep up with what is happening in the world.
- Undead Nightmare DLC is awesome and well worth playing. You probably want to wait until after you've finished the main game for all the in-jokes and whatnot to make sense.
- The Rockstar Social Club website is actually pretty useful: it keeps track of all kinds of stats and your progress in challenges, collecting, etc.
- The game isn't over until you see the title card. If you haven't seen it, you aren't done. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

dylan14 posted:

What should I know before I play Devil Survivor 2 ?

Have you played the first one? Most of the same tips apply. Off the top of my head:

- DS2 is way more friendly to a physical-oriented MC. There are way more physical skills to go around, more ways to get past resistances and fewer demons with Phys Repel. Focusing on Magic, Strength/Agility or Strength with some Vitality are all excellent builds this time around.

- Being attacked now delays your next action. Be especially careful around ranged enemies.

- Fuse, fuse, fuse. Outdated demons are crummy in battle and crummy fusion ingredients. A decent metric is to try to fuse away any demon whose level is 3-4 levels below the main character's, maybe 5 if they're really excellent.

- DS2 has more demons per level than DS1, so you have to accept smaller increases in base level with fusions. Keep improving those base levels so your demons can keep leveling up and accruing bonus stats.

- When fusing demons, make liberal use of either searching with no parameters, or picking a demon and pressing X to display all the possibilities with demons you currently own.