Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Grandpa Pap posted:

Also, to tie the two in together, there's also Col. DeBeers, the evil "South African" wrestler who hated America and was strongly in favor of apartheid.

I just looked this gimmick up, holy poo poo.

Wikipedia posted:

DeBeers feud with Snuka was notorious in that, even in an industry known for characters based on racial stereotypes, DeBeers overt racism was still shocking. DeBeers essentially refused to wrestle Snuka because he was not white.

While in the Herb Abrams' UWF, DeBeers became involved in another feud based on race. After a match with Louie Spicolli, DeBeers attempted to attack the referee who was an African-American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not really an America vs X angle, but there's no way you can't mention Kerwin White.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Why does Brock Lesnar vs. Undertaker, a match which has been done to death, seem to have some people thinking it would be some sort of WrestleMania Dream Match?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That Debeers thing sounds like an awesome heel gimmick and the fact that he's called Debeers is just the icing on the cake.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

TL posted:

Why does Brock Lesnar vs. Undertaker, a match which has been done to death, seem to have some people thinking it would be some sort of WrestleMania Dream Match?

i think, because it was really good in 2002 and that was when undertaker was poo poo he was just poo poo.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Sionistic posted:

Gonzo McFee posted:

That Debeers thing sounds like an awesome heel gimmick and the fact that he's called Debeers is just the icing on the cake.

And of course we have Verne Gagne's AWA to thank for that. :v:

I can just imagine Verne in the 1980s (increasingly out of touch with popular trends and desperate to find some cultural touchstone that would make the AWA relevant) reading the paper or watching some report about apartheid on the news, and walking into the booking meeting the next day, confident that he'd found the gimmick that would put the AWA back on the map. :smug:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

TL posted:

It's been ten years, Brock is a huge crossover star, and when they shot the angle in late-2010 it was one of the hottest things WWE had done in years even though it wasn't on television.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Would Brock Lesnar's value as a monster heel be diminished by the fact that we know now that he reacts like a bitch to getting punched (also we've seen him get beaten up multiple times IRL)?

If not from the perspective of the fans, how about Vince/the locker room?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Yuriy posted:

Would Brock Lesnar's value as a monster heel be diminished by the fact that we know now that he reacts like a bitch to getting punched (also we've seen him get beaten up multiple times IRL)?

Stuff like that hasn't majorly hurt anyone's drawing power in MMA, including Brock's, and the only people who know that are the super-hardcore MMA fans anyway, so I don't see why.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Sionistic posted:

I'm writing a short paper about Racism and Xenophobia in American Professional Wrestling. I wanted to bring up examples of wrestling using US vs X to get a reaction out of American fans. I'm also looking for examples of the racist gimmicks used in the past. So far I have:

"I'm a real American" Hulk Hogan
"The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes
Iraqi Sympathizer Sgt. Slaughter
Iron Sheik, especially during the Iran Hostage Crisis
Harlem Heat's slaves in chains
Rowdy Roddy Piper in Blackface
Mohamed Hassan and Davairi (especially his TNA run)

I am sure there are many other examples, can anyone think of any?

There was a roundtable discussion on this subject. Although they said "Patriotism" instead of Xenaphobia
can't find it at the moment. It went over the old German Heels to Mohamed Hassan

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Yuriy posted:

I would love to see Vince or anyone in the locker room call Brock a bitch or try to fight him in any way.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

jeffersonlives posted:

Stuff like that hasn't majorly hurt anyone's drawing power in MMA, including Brock's, and the only people who know that are the super-hardcore MMA fans anyway, so I don't see why.
I don't think anyone should be ashamed to "react like a bitch" when hit by Cain Velasquez, Alistair Overeem or Shane Carwin. It isn't like he was in there with cans.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah for some reason I think getting punched in the face by Punk wouldn't hurt quite as much as getting punched in the face by Overeem.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I'm disappointed by the lack of Rey Mysterio questions on this page.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hunico is currently riding to the ring on a low rider bicycle.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Hunico is currently riding to the ring on a low rider bicycle.

A bike that he shares with Camacho because they can only afford one bike

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

In honor of the page number, what you guys consider the quintessential Rey Mysterio match?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NienNunb posted:

In honor of the page number, what you guys consider the quintessential Rey Mysterio match?

Mysterio vs trailer in a dart match

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

oldpainless posted:

Hacksaw's eyes go in two different directions so he's always watching America.

:911:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

NienNunb posted:

I think generally Rey vs Eddie at Halloween Havoc is considered the classic Rey match, right? As for his WWE era, again, his work with Eddie was great (storyline not withstanding).

Edit: Rey in WWE is an interesting case. People, myself included, got really down on him for following a "formula" in his matches. But him doing the same finishing sequence and moves helped get him really over, and the crowd really bought into his offense. In WCW he was more innovative, but I don't think he ever had a move get over like the 619 in WWE.

Not to mention that his "repetitive" offense early in his WWE career let him be more innovative at the end. Before he had time off for injury, I was really getting into him. He was finding new ways to set up the 619, opponents were countering his moves in new ways, I consistently thought Rey was having the best matches on whatever show he was on.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 29, 2012

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mysterio-Edge vs. Angle-Benoit

E: the Smackdown one

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I always loved Rey-Malenko from Halloween Havoc '96, although I think Meltzer only gave it ****1/4.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

NienNunb posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1kvel_rey-mysterio-jr-vs-psychosis_sport

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rey vs Eddie, Halloween Havoc, Mask vs Title. The final ***** match in WCW history, and the best match of both guys' career.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Sionistic posted:

I'm writing a short paper about Racism and Xenophobia in American Professional Wrestling. I wanted to bring up examples of wrestling using US vs X to get a reaction out of American fans. I'm also looking for examples of the racist gimmicks used in the past. So far I have:

"I'm a real American" Hulk Hogan
"The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes
Iraqi Sympathizer Sgt. Slaughter
Iron Sheik, especially during the Iran Hostage Crisis
Harlem Heat's slaves in chains
Rowdy Roddy Piper in Blackface
Mohamed Hassan and Davairi (especially his TNA run)

If you go into whether it's the bookers or the audience being racist, it might be worth recalling that Muhammad Hassan was originally a Middle-Eastern American with a grievance, wanting to fight the terrorist stereotype, but the audience wouldn't acknowledge it and it devolved into "USA! USA!".

Similarly, there have been a few matches where "USA!" chants broke out where neither competitor was American (I think Jericho/Edge and Gabriel/Zeke Jackson)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Szmitten posted:

If you go into whether it's the bookers or the audience being racist, it might be worth recalling that Muhammad Hassan was originally a Middle-Eastern American with a grievance, wanting to fight the terrorist stereotype, but the audience wouldn't acknowledge it and it devolved into "USA! USA!".

Similarly, there have been a few matches where "USA!" chants broke out where neither competitor was American (I think Jericho/Edge and Gabriel/Zeke Jackson)

Thinking back, I always though Hassan was supposed to be doing it tongue in cheek, not really being a legit, "I AM AN AMERICAN DAMNIT!" but more, "Oh no, I'm an American, really!" like the Rougueaus. He was supposed to be a clever, deceiving heel. The problem is that it was done really well at first and then they bombed it later and you couldn't understand at all what their angle was with Hassan.

Canada vs. USA has been done several times and it's funny to me how it ever got over. I always thought America was pretty apaethic towards Canada but I guess when we got all of the best wrestlers, it does make America jealous.

:smug: :canada:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Canada vs USA is my favourite wrestling thing. I love any wrestlers that are over the top Canadian, I miss La Resistance.

Edit: I forgot all about this:

The La Resistance angle had an unsuccessful start in February 2003. During a pay-per-view show in Montreal, the WWE mocked the Montreal Screwjob in the main event. Sylvain Grenier had been working as a referee for two months prior to the re-match between Hulk Hogan and The Rock. During the aforementioned match, Grenier served as the referee, who contributed to Hogan's loss. It was later announced that Grenier was French-Canadian, so essentially it was a Canadian who cheated the fans this time (overlooking that neither Hogan nor The Rock were from Canada, so neither was the hometown representative). Grenier would continue to serve as a biased official who decided matches to Mr. McMahon's wishes. The original planned result of this was for Grenier to continue playing in favor of villains long enough so that numerous fan favorites to be cheated and confront him. Claiming racial discrimination, he would call in friend René Duprée to help him enforce "cultural sensitivity". However, after Hogan defeated McMahon at WrestleMania XIX, the angle was changed completely, removing Grenier's role entirely before it could begin to go far enough to call in Duprée.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Szmitten posted:

Hassan is the best argument that pro wrestling at the WWE's level just isn't built to handle nuanced, subtle storytelling. You can kind of get away with it in a smaller fed with a rabidly loyal hardcore following. But the WWE is always aiming for the largest audience possible, and more often than not the LCD audience doesn't want anything more in their rasslin' besides clear-cut good guys and bad guys. And the occasional pair of tits.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Canada vs USA is my favourite wrestling thing. I love any wrestlers that are over the top Canadian, I miss La Resistance.

I thought it was an awesome moment when La Resistance turned from Parisian French to French Canadian and got a huge pop for winning the tag titles.

Honestly, French Canadians make the best heels because everyone except Quebec hates them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sionistic posted:

He once poured white paint on a black wrestler.

Of course, as is usually the case, reports have it that the guy playing DeBeers was kind, gentle man, and nothing like his character.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Davros1 posted:

He once poured white paint on a black wrestler.

Of course, as is usually the case, reports have it that the guy playing DeBeers was kind, gentle man, and nothing like his character.

Prior to the DeBeers thing, one of his other gimmicks was literally the wrestling version of this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagwan_Shree_Rajneesh which is kinda funny.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Szmitten posted:

Thats pretty much what I wanted to say about him. He didnt fit stereotypes. He didnt call for death to americans, yet. He had clear points and was generally 100% correct about American Hypocrisy at the time. So of course he was promptly hated because "some a-rab was tellin us we dumb! hurr"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Their is also the Harvard Chris vs Scott Steiner debate

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

Their is also the Harvard Chris vs Scott Steiner debate

This better fits into, "Smart people are heels because of the IQ of the average wrestling fan".

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sionistic posted:

Tiger Ali Singh is all that comes to mind other than what was mentioned already, though honestly Great Khali in general might be a more egregious example of the "vicious savage foreigner/step-'n'-fetchit racism" framework that is pretty offensive. At least Tiger Ali Singh was eloquent and successful (but still had a sidekick who I believe was literally named after a monkey?). Then you have Umaga ... and, well, pretty much any Samoan wrestler, wearing tribal gear and/or being incoherent and, wow, how can I tolerate all this stuff as a social scientist?

It would be pretty awesome if every American-born white wrestler had a forced stereotype choice of being either the comical clueless fat/frat guy or the Corporate Cubicle Commando! while minorities and foreigners got to develop interesting characters. I believe I shall call this federation EWW.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Sionistic posted:

Thats pretty much what I wanted to say about him. He didnt fit stereotypes. He didnt call for death to americans, yet. He had clear points and was generally 100% correct about American Hypocrisy at the time. So of course he was promptly hated because "some a-rab was tellin us we dumb! hurr"

To be fair they really ruined any subtlety with that gimmick by having him summon a group of ski mask-wearing insurgents who choked the Undertaker with piano wire.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Quarex posted:

It would be pretty awesome if every American-born white wrestler had a forced stereotype choice of being either the comical clueless fat/frat guy or the Corporate Cubicle Commando! while minorities and foreigners got to develop interesting characters. I believe I shall call this federation EWW.

Why limit yourself to only those stereotypes? :v:

Italian-American wrestlers = mobsters/running a pizza joint/video game plumbers
Irish-American wrestlers = drunken Catholics who love to fight and see leprechauns/are leprechauns
New Yorkers = Rude, often one of the above two stereotypes. Bonus points for putting them in Yankees gear
Southerners = Three teeth or less, Dixie flag, incest, moonshine. For a slightly more upscale gimmick, just make them a country music fan/performer
Midwesterners = Think "Fargo: The Wrestling Movie"
Texans = all cowboys, for a more "modern" take make plenty of "Brokeback Mountain" jokes
Californians = stoners and hippies. Maybe give them a surfboard to attract the younger demographic

What I'm saying is I want a job on the EWW creative team when it gets off the ground. :c00lbert:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Grandpa Pap posted:

Italian-American wrestlers = mobsters/running a pizza joint/video game plumbers
Irish-American wrestlers = drunken Catholics who love to fight and see leprechauns/are leprechauns
New Yorkers = Rude, often one of the above two stereotypes. Bonus points for putting them in Yankees gear
Southerners = Three teeth or less, Dixie flag, incest, moonshine. For a slightly more upscale gimmick, just make them a country music fan/performer
Midwesterners = Think "Fargo: The Wrestling Movie"
Texans = all cowboys, for a more "modern" take make plenty of "Brokeback Mountain" jokes
Californians = stoners and hippies. Maybe give them a surfboard to attract the younger demographic

What I'm saying is I want a job on the EWW creative team when it gets off the ground. :c00lbert:

You could have a Canadian tag team where one member is a Conservative Cowboy from Calgary who throws oil in his opponents faces while his partner is a hippy from Toronto who rides to the ring on a bicycle and acts as though nobody exists outside of his city: including his tag partner.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Grandpa Pap posted:

probably because that would make you look like a weird racist and undermine the satire present in the original idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

NOTHIN BUT CHUNK posted:

probably because that would make you look like a weird racist and undermine the satire present in the original idea?

at least he exhausted a significant amount of white noise in only one post, as opposed to people doing it for two pages