Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ultra-hardcore mode should just replace all the water blocks in the game with lava blocks. No growing food, have to be super careful crossing the ocean, and good luck getting enough meat before all the animals get lava'd.

This is actually a pretty great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ultra-hardcore mode should just replace all the water blocks in the game with lava blocks. No growing food, have to be super careful crossing the ocean, and good luck getting enough meat before all the animals get lava'd.

Are you saying that boats work in lava? Strong enough to not burn (and actually move in) molten rock, but shatters as soon as its rider runs into a lily pad. :notch:

Edit: I guess you actually meant crossing the oceans on a thin bridge of dirt or cobblestone or something. Honestly, that'd be more annoying than falling in and dying.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
The world is a deep fryer

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Laser Spider posted:

Are you saying that boats work in lava? Strong enough to not burn (and actually move in) molten rock, but shatters as soon as its rider runs into a lily pad. :notch:

Edit: I guess you actually meant crossing the oceans on a thin bridge of dirt or cobblestone or something. Honestly, that'd be more annoying than falling in and dying.

Cross it with a bucket of water? edit: Oh wait. Hmm, just make everyone spawn with one bucket of water.

Seriously though, "turn all water into lava" is actually a brilliant idea that they should totally do.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 29, 2012

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
lmao they really need a game maker who is invisible and just flies around causing misery to players. Uses world edit to turn all water into lava. Or make a mountain into sand, causes lightning storms etc etc.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Make it literal Highlander: replace enchanting with fixed bonuses based on level, and make players the only sources of XP. You'd have to be careful to avoid a slippery slope, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Disappointing Pie posted:

lmao they really need a game maker who is invisible and just flies around causing misery to players. Uses world edit to turn all water into lava. Or make a mountain into sand, causes lightning storms etc etc.
A Game Master who just flies around causing mischief and giving everyone poo poo (but never allowed to directly harm anyone) sounds hilarious and entertaining as hell, especially to those of us just watching the videos to come of it, though I'm not sure if the players themselves would be on board with that idea.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Vib Rib posted:

A Game Master who just flies around causing mischief and giving everyone poo poo (but never allowed to directly harm anyone) sounds hilarious and entertaining as hell, especially to those of us just watching the videos to come of it, though I'm not sure if the players themselves would be on board with that idea.

No, this rules

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That would finally convince me to watch youtube videos of Minecraft.

So, playing TestCraft, I finally found the village.

I want to expand it quite a bit, eventually getting rid of their uggo houses and making them new ones. Are there any rules for houses other than a wood door?

Also, one of the existing houses had the only door buried under gravel, so the poor fellow inside had been trapped for god knows how long. Never seen that before.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
This guy just posted a hardcore speed run of Minecraft that I thought was pretty impressive. An hour and a half to knock it out, though he's got plenty of fat to trim. He's got some chops, but there doesn't seem to be much competition right now. Oh yeah, his commentary is pretty awful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQhNYHBD1t4

I'm not particularly interested in hardcore speed runs since the content is really lacking and it's more or less luck of the draw once you get your technique down, but PudHux mentioned a ladder and Crawl tourneys have made me think I want to improve my game.

Does anyone know of/have a version of the ultra hardcore mod that doesn't include the recipe changes? Those really make the game less Rogue-like and more novelty game mode. I'd like to start playing hardcore like that, or with a mod that cuts the full food bar healing to like 1/10th of its normal rate, but masochistic mods are in short supply. While I'm at it, some other ideas I've looked for, but couldn't find: Anyone know of a mod that makes players catch fire like undead in sunlight without adding a ton of dumb vampire crap? I'm thinking of the Iron Man challenge game from ADOM, where you make a beeline for a cave and get an artifact or die trying.

RossMan4Life fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 29, 2012

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Alright what's the best order to watch the new ultra hardcore episodes

edit: noooooo :qq:

whalestory fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 29, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

whalestory posted:

Alright what's the best order to watch the new ultra hardcore episodes

Watch Docm's first, perhaps. Really though, they're all equally boring. Ep 5 was just a bust.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
They weren't as exciting as before but i still enjoyed them. The thought that one wrong step or false move with a mob could end it for them adds a lot of tension. Particularly Beefs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just found a ravine under the ocean, which I've never seen before and I think it's pretty cool.

Basically the ravine is covered by the ocean floor, but there are big gaps in the floor, letting sheets of water just pour down into the ravine and pool at the bottom. It's hard to describe properly and pictures don't do it justice, but it looks cool and will suck to explore.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
What's your seed? Last time you sent me hunting for a gulch I was happy with the effort, and only left that world behind for the sake of updates.

I'm only moderately invested in TestCraft so far, so I wouldn't hate moving onto another world.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Jamesman posted:

I just found a ravine under the ocean, which I've never seen before and I think it's pretty cool.

Basically the ravine is covered by the ocean floor, but there are big gaps in the floor, letting sheets of water just pour down into the ravine and pool at the bottom. It's hard to describe properly and pictures don't do it justice, but it looks cool and will suck to explore.

These are pretty incredible if you can find them.

I once found one that also had an abandoned mineshaft going through it, so there was plenty to explore once you got down there.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Since someone was talking about it earlier, someone on Reddit made a map of the paths everyone took in the Ultra Hardcore series:

It seems pretty accurate, though it only shows the episode 4/5 paths and the general nether enter/exit points. Most interesting bit (in my opinion at least) is that both Kurt and Beef have both gone in giant circles and very nearly avoided seeing eachother again in episode 5.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 29, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've talked to my MC mates at work and they're down to try this soon - what are the mods needed to run UHC on my server?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

krushgroove posted:

I've talked to my MC mates at work and they're down to try this soon - what are the mods needed to run UHC on my server?

It's in the video's description.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My TestCraft creative disappeared when the PC powered off while I was playing it. I had just linked ravine town with the village :( Top and bottom ravines weren't linked yet and the ghetto (mines in lower ravine) wasn't linked yet either.

The tank of water into lava made me think. That TerrainControl mod has the option to change the block ID for rivers and ocean. If that were done it could be dynamic.

I want a plugin which doesn't quite exist as far as I can tell but was a component of mineserver. Limited map size with just void around it. I would love an SMP server which consists of maybe a 256^3 cube. The goal is to survive and thrive in that area. To make it more interesting it could have an economy mod. Richest wins. Add PvP with severe penalties for homicide. Pretty much make it a fight to survive against the others. Cooperating will not ensure you will win, but being brutal will gently caress you over. Add super limited resources and the choice to hoard them to survive or sell them to get ahead and it's a real mind game.

Just an idea anyway.

What the hell. I might do a purge and try TerrainControl with some water tweaks for fun. Is there mod that re-adds hellmode as a server flag to the surface world? I miss that nightmare.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just a note on TerrainControl. To prove to myself that it's half dead I started a new SMP map using TestCraft as the seed because I know what it looks like. That loaded as expected. but in TC's options I substituted water for lava and ice for obsidian. Didn't work. Still water and ice :(

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Monicro posted:

Since someone was talking about it earlier, someone on Reddit made a map of the paths everyone took in the Ultra Hardcore series:

It seems pretty accurate, though it only shows the episode 4/5 paths and the general nether enter/exit points. Most interesting bit (in my opinion at least) is that both Kurt and Beef have both gone in giant circles and very nearly avoided seeing eachother again in episode 5.

I love how when Guude went looking for people he managed to walk in the one direction where there is no one at all. How have Guude and Baj not met yet? Looks like Baj has got pretty close to Guudes base.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

General_Failure posted:

Just a note on TerrainControl. To prove to myself that it's half dead I started a new SMP map using TestCraft as the seed because I know what it looks like. That loaded as expected. but in TC's options I substituted water for lava and ice for obsidian. Didn't work. Still water and ice :(
What's your world name and what is the contents of your bukkit.yml?

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Is anyone going to set up an UHC server for us to all play on? I'm really itching to try this out with people.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
^^^ I'd love to try it out too but only if starting away from other players was a given. Everytime I've tried playing on a PvP server in the past I've gotten repeatedly murdered by people camping the gate to the safety zone before I get a chance to even find and punch down my first tree.

I've only watched up to Ep 3 so far but really, after looking at that map it seems Baj's biggest mistake from the beginning was staying in that clearly terrible-for-survival snow biome, getting the hell out of there and finding a source of pigs should have been his first priority, even if it would have ruined his 'Bear Grylls in the Arctic Circle schtick'...still though, hopefully his SAS training and all those years of drinking his own pee will see him through to a win. (unless he's already died in episode five in which case disregard this.)

Zoe fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 29, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zoe posted:

^^^ I'd love to try it out too but only if starting away from other players was a given. Everytime I've tried playing on a PvP server in the past I've gotten repeatedly murdered by people camping the gate to the safety zone before I get a chance to even find and punch down my first tree.

One of the features of the mod they used for UHC was that it did randomly start you somewhere.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

1.2.5 to come out today? Apparently it's a massive amount of bug fixes.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

blackflare posted:

Is anyone going to set up an UHC server for us to all play on? I'm really itching to try this out with people.
I've set one up and we're starting at 11am CDT today. I posted yesterday asking for volunteers and we got a full list by the end of the day. This first run will be a test to see how a 20-miner game will go. We'll make adjustments and then do another run starting this weekend.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm getting into the habit of checking Jeb's Twitter, and I found this and thought it interesting:

Jeb posted:

This week we've had the whole Minecraft team over to plan Minecraft's short- and long-term future

and

Jeb posted:

The plan for 1.2.5 is to prepare the build today but release it as a snapshot, to give MCP and bukkit a few days to prepare

With Jeb at the helm, I'm curious about the long-term plans for Minecraft. Hopefully more possibilities for elaborate mechanics. Even if the modder FlowerChild is a bag of smelly dicks, I like some of the things in his Better Than Wolves and I'd hope Jeb would be open for perhaps mechanical things, like windmills and such.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
IMO he should finish what was promised (even though I know Notch thinking aloud on Twitter/Tumblr doesn't really count as a promise), ie. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features.

I suppose their long-term vision depends on whether they want to build Minecraft as a game or rather solidify the basic framework so people can mod everything in. He said in an interview they want to allow players to be able to do away with this whole "putting files in you jar" and instead install mods/plugins from within the game, so that's definitely on his list and hopefully it will follow closely after the API proper.

fake edit: also, fuckin finally, proper high res texture support :negative:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Iacen posted:

With Jeb at the helm, I'm curious about the long-term plans for Minecraft.

Phase 1 - Find a way to remove Notch's access to the code that won't involve having to deal with hiding a body or any difficult questions from the police.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Isorenieratane posted:

I love how when Guude went looking for people he managed to walk in the one direction where there is no one at all. How have Guude and Baj not met yet? Looks like Baj has got pretty close to Guudes base.
Guude is being extremely boring and have a base that is extremely hard to just stumble onto. Most of the time he covers the 1x2 opening with dirt as well, where there's other dirt. There is no way you would think it was human-made.

There was an agreement to not Branch-mine, I don't know the Minecraft lingo but I'm pretty sure digging in an angle straight down to bedrock wasn't agreed upon.

Don't be a Guude when the Goon hardcore goes live please.

So far my favorite is definitely Kurt, I can't wait to see if he runs into Beef again soon, they're so close! I love the detective work they've been frantically doing or trying to deduce what they've been doing. Kurts frantic get-away in the trees becoming Beefs obvious clue that he left the area.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Zsinjeh posted:

So far my favorite is definitely Kurt, I can't wait to see if he runs into Beef again soon, they're so close! I love the detective work they've been frantically doing or trying to deduce what they've been doing. Kurts frantic get-away in the trees becoming Beefs obvious clue that he left the area.

Not to mention Kurt saying something along the lines of "trying to find signs of life" right as he walks by some half-chopped down trees :allears:

Edit: VVV Guude's next video will probably be mostly nether. I suspect he's trying to get a blaze rod and some netherwart to REALLY make it game, set and match before he heads out.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 29, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm really hoping that next ep, Guude goes Rambo.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

fondue posted:

1.2.5 to come out today? Apparently it's a massive amount of bug fixes.

Change of plans, a snapshot of 1.2.5 will be out tomorrow, the patch will drop next week, apparently they want more time to work on it.

Also, I just realized they took Jon (the guy who was hired to work on AI and Mobs for Minecraft) off of Minecraft and put him to work on Scrolls of all things. I am a bit disheartened by this, Jon did an amazing job replacing Notch's AI code and what few mobs he did were a lost more interesting/had greater behavior than anything Notch had made (hell, just the social interactions the Testificates have with each other was really neat). Apparently he was taken off so that they could put on the four guys from Bukkit. I hope after the API is done they bring Jon back. :(

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

There was an agreement to not Branch-mine, I don't know the Minecraft lingo but I'm pretty sure digging in an angle straight down to bedrock wasn't agreed upon.

Actually, Etho has a video specifically about branch-mining. It's not so much 'dig down to bedrock' as it is 'create hallways at y12 that span hundreds of blocks with varying hallways off of them'. It's sort of boring to watch, but a necessary evil if they're going to get gold or diamonds.

My vote on most entertaining goes to Beef, for the whole debacle of going to the nether, realizing someone might be there, going back and ending up stuck at the bottom of someone elses base while kurt and Pause fight upstairs. Baj gets a close second place though for seemingly never breaking character.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Just chiming in to say the Goon UHC match has begun in Goonimati, and it is awesome. I died deep in the mines at the hands of skeletons on what I think is the third day, but thankfully for my honor I wasn't first to go.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Caves like this are the best caves.

Dirt006
Apr 28, 2008
Baj has said that the whole reason he's doing what he's doing is he realized in post-production that his recording was completely without sound the whole way through. This is why you don't hear any Minecraft music or sound effects (I like his music better anyways but I miss the sounds).

He's doing a very good job of "reacting" to things he sees onscreen. Sometimes it's hard to tell that he's just doing voiceover commentary. It does make it easier to stay in character though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but is there instructions for how to set up one of these hardcore PVP games anywhere? I was able to find the mod they are using in the minecraft forum, but I can't tell if the random spawn and map limit is included or not, and if not what I would need to do to recreate it.