Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Well, no matter what the correct answer is do more deadlifts. Which I'm gonna go do right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I've been doing crossfit for a while and did a regular heavy lift day yesterday and it was super fun an rewarding. I think I'm gonna lift at least 2 days a week now and crossfit 1 or 2 depending on how I'm feeling.

Also my numbers were terrible so I want to get strong again.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I want to do crossfit, but the air force keeps putting me places where they don't have it. There's nothing to support it here in the Deid. And the closest gym to Minot is about four hours away. Rage.

In other news, Helldump Immunity, what time do you go to the gym? There's a couple of navy/marine girls (HOT. Maybe hot. Might just be deployment hot.) that wear ranger panties and go between 2-4pm local at the CC gym.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days
My schedule shifted so I may be able to make that time to check out the scenery.

I'll be the guy with the beard not giving fucks.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Helldump Immunity posted:

My schedule shifted so I may be able to make that time to check out the scenery.

I'll be the guy with the beard not giving fucks.

I'll be the guy who isn't there tomorrow since it's my day off. But I'll keep an eye out for bearded men who are stingy with their fucks.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm envious of your situation. I wish there was a goon here with OSC-I so I could constantly remind him how much better my situation is.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
270 APFT this morning despite no Army PT for 9 months. Apparently the Benning track is 1.04 miles so sayeth the rumor mill...certainly felt longer. Going to do some more HIIT to bring that run up.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
A bearded man spoke to me in the CC gym today. Was that you HI???

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There's an easy way to tell if it's HI. He'll move to shake your hand, but at the last second pull back and run his fingers through his beard then jerk off.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

A bearded man spoke to me in the CC gym today. Was that you HI???

Did he give no fucks?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

Did he give no fucks?

No, he creeped me out. Than he saw me later after I finished my shower and informed me that "THAT IS A CLASSY TATTOO SON."

I really hope it wasn't HI.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

smertrioslol posted:

No, he creeped me out. Than he saw me later after I finished my shower and informed me that "THAT IS A CLASSY TATTOO SON."

I hope it was. :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

smertrioslol posted:

This sounds exactly like him.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I figured this is probably the place to ask, given the collection of swole people: anyone here ever worked as a bar bouncer? I'm thinking about doing it to make some extra cash on the weekends, but am wondering what actually sucks about the job other than working odd hours and standing for long periods of time.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

I figured this is probably the place to ask, given the collection of swole people: anyone here ever worked as a bar bouncer? I'm thinking about doing it to make some extra cash on the weekends, but am wondering what actually sucks about the job other than working odd hours and standing for long periods of time.

My old roommate was a bouncer back before he enlisted. He said it involved beating the poo poo out of people with a mob of other bouncers. Sounds loving fun to me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, I've seen that happen at a huge nightclub in Baltimore before (probably the most epic bar fight I've ever seen, actually). This is a pretty small venue, though.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

Yeah, I've seen that happen at a huge nightclub in Baltimore before (probably the most epic bar fight I've ever seen, actually). This is a pretty small venue, though.

Are you an enormous, intimidating man? If so, collect your free money. Otherwise, be prepared for a lot of people who are actually going to fight as opposed to being scared to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

Are you an enormous, intimidating man? If so, collect your free money. Otherwise, be prepared for a lot of people who are actually going to fight as opposed to being scared to.

I'm 6'5".

Jonass
Mar 29, 2012
Totally down with bouncer work. Wear sap gloves, and suddenly you got a massive advantage in any fist fight that breaks out.

As for the main purpose of this thread, ya'll make me feel bad. My last PT test, a month or so before going on terminal leave, I got a 183, exceed the standard in each event :D

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I got dropped from the ranger school program thing they are doing in ALC because my run time really really really sucks. I did 5 miles in 39:30. First time in the whole month I been here I was able to finally make time.... 1SG here at ALC wants people to do atleast 36 before he blesses them for pre ranger. I feel so lovely I want to lay in bed and never get up

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Kaliber posted:

I got dropped from the ranger school program thing they are doing in ALC because my run time really really really sucks. I did 5 miles in 39:30. First time in the whole month I been here I was able to finally make time.... 1SG here at ALC wants people to do atleast 36 before he blesses them for pre ranger. I feel so lovely I want to lay in bed and never get up

drat, dude. 39:30 is nothing to sneeze at. 36... :stare:

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
39:30 is still passing for Ranger (cutting it close, though). I need to boost my run time too. I think part of it is strategy...like I can run a very fast one mile, so I need to find a more consistent pace.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Yeah. I'm the same way. For my 2 mile PT test for ALC I did my first mile in 6:30. Then I finished at 15:20....... I was so smoked and out of breath my second mile that I was doing an airborne shuffle/slow run.

Running is stupid. The army needs to invent me some robot legs.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 1, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I thought the standard at Ranger School was 40 minutes?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kaliber posted:

Running is stupid. The army needs to invent me some robot legs.

I'm sure they will give you the finest VA joint care when your knees are totally shot at 40.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psydude posted:

It is and the apft standard is only 180 but if that's all you get you might as well just call it a day and hop the next train to baby town, because you're the new mayor.

Hoorah wardog?? Git sum.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

It is, but I'm not in Ranger school. Infantry ALC has this thing where TRADOC will pay for ranger school and everything while you're in Benning as long as your unit gives the ok to go. But the catch is you have to do special PT (which is awesome cause I got to do real actual PT and didn't have to learn any of that PRT stuff) and take a RPFT every week to asset where you're at. The 1SG of ALC's standards are 55 push ups to form, 60 something sit ups and 15 pull ups and the run in 36 minutes to give you that leeway when you're doing the actual RPFT and not fail out. I think it's pretty fair.

He said he'll let you go still if you're there but not quite there yet. But the only problem is my run time. It's my best time so far and so borderline he doesn't know if I'll be able to make it or not when I do the actual run. So I got dropped in favor of the people who can meet his standards on the run. Kinda sucks because push ups/sit ups/pull ups I'm one of the 5 people who gets the highest scores for as anal as they grade it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
They did something similar at bolc for slots, 15 dead hang sounds excessive seeing as the requirement is 6. Either way it sucks that you don't get a shot. I'm officially 3 weeks out and starting to feel anxious about it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kaliber posted:

It is, but I'm not in Ranger school. Infantry ALC has this thing where TRADOC will pay for ranger school and everything while you're in Benning as long as your unit gives the ok to go. But the catch is you have to do special PT (which is awesome cause I got to do real actual PT and didn't have to learn any of that PRT stuff) and take a RPFT every week to asset where you're at. The 1SG of ALC's standards are 55 push ups to form, 60 something sit ups and 15 pull ups and the run in 36 minutes to give you that leeway when you're doing the actual RPFT and not fail out. I think it's pretty fair.

He said he'll let you go still if you're there but not quite there yet. But the only problem is my run time. It's my best time so far and so borderline he doesn't know if I'll be able to make it or not when I do the actual run. So I got dropped in favor of the people who can meet his standards on the run. Kinda sucks because push ups/sit ups/pull ups I'm one of the 5 people who gets the highest scores for as anal as they grade it.

Would they entertain the possibility of sending you to sapper school instead?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

Would they entertain the possibility of sending you to sapper school instead?

Nope. Asked about airborne, sapper and etc. Though I did meet a sniper instructor doing a MTT to hawaii who said to give him a call when I get back to be a walk on.

The thing with ranger is the lack of tabbed infantry NCOs in the army today. Alot of 11b E5s and E6s said gently caress it cause of all our multiple back to back deployments, so now only like 20% of E5s and even less E6s are tabbed. Which means when we become senior NCOs it will be almost non existent on the SNCO level in a few years. Or something like that. Wasn't paying much attention during the brief. Which is why there's such a big push for it nowadays in tradoc.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey Army send me to ranger school. I'll be one hooah mother fuckin reporter.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kaliber posted:

Nope. Asked about airborne, sapper and etc. Though I did meet a sniper instructor doing a MTT to hawaii who said to give him a call when I get back to be a walk on.

The thing with ranger is the lack of tabbed infantry NCOs in the army today. Alot of 11b E5s and E6s said gently caress it cause of all our multiple back to back deployments, so now only like 20% of E5s and even less E6s are tabbed. Which means when we become senior NCOs it will be almost non existent on the SNCO level in a few years. Or something like that. Wasn't paying much attention during the brief. Which is why there's such a big push for it nowadays in tradoc.

If they want everyone to be ranger tabbed, then they should make it part of loving NCOES.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

If they want everyone to be ranger tabbed, then they should make it part of loving NCOES.

Well they do offer it to every NCO going through NCOES here on Benning as long as they meet the requirements of the 1SG and get approved by their units. I probably got the pull ups wrong. I think I did 15 when he wanted 10? Or something like that.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Well if you think you're good for selection try out https://www.goruckchallenge.com.

If you think you're supergood, try out https://www.goruckchallenge.com/selection/

Run by current and former green berets/other sf dudes like seals and recon marines

The funny thing is now that I'm out of the military I love this poo poo.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Can someone point me in the direction of solid HIITs? A cursory googling leads me to some :wtf: sites that seem dubious at best. Not looking for broscience poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There was a W&W thread on it for a while, but I can't find it.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

There was a W&W thread on it for a while, but I can't find it.

I don't see it there either...may I suggest cross fit if there's a proper gym somewhere near you?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

gently caress Cross Fit. Not so much the exercises, they're pretty functional and give you a good workout. But, the gyms and the people that associate with them are insufferable.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Whip Slagcheek posted:

gently caress Cross Fit. Not so much the exercises, they're pretty functional and give you a good workout. But, the gyms and the people that associate with them are insufferable.

Oh, I agree. Most people who I've run into who only do crossfit are such douchebag fitness elitists that it's impossible to have a conversation with them that doesn't end with you wanting to punch them in the mouth.

But the workouts are so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I have a coworker that only does Cross Fit and Krav Maga. He may be the epitome of elitist fitness douchebag. The punch line being he's not -that- in shape, but he sure likes to act like it.

Oh, and to top it off he does the Paleo diet.

And he's an Army SSG :ssh: