Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

yergacheffe posted:

I knew most of these cheap Korean monitors had no OSD, but when you say no buttons do you mean there's not even basic controls for contrast/brightness? Also, if you're located in the US/Canada, did dcsamsungmall ship you a 110VAC power brick instead of the Korean 240VAC brick?

On the bottom right hand of the screen there are icons making it seem like there should be buttons to control power and BL (Back Light?), but there are no actual buttons there.

Wow, I just did a closer inspection and apparently I missed that the buttons are actually on the back of the monitor. Really strange design. So yes, there are three buttons on my monitor, two to control the back lighting (I assume this equates to brightness) and one for power.

The brick I have says it is rated to take anywhere from 100 to 240 AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Ah okay, thanks for the information. Basic backlight/brightness adjust is all I really need. I was reading that while the power brick works in US outlets, people were having problems with low voltage being delivered from it. I did think it was strange in this day and age to not have a switched mode power supply be able to deliver its rated voltage over standard 110-220VAC input, though. But if the brick says it's rated for that, then I guess all I have to do now is decide on either the Crossover or the PCbank 27" to take the plunge on.

Fake edit: One last question, is the backlight setting retained between power cycles of the monitor?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

Fake edit: One last question, is the backlight setting retained between power cycles of the monitor?

It is on the Catleap- and since they're all pretty similar to eachother, I'd say it's safe to assume that it is carried over.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
With my Catleap on iots way I have a question regarding using Dual Monitors on my MBP. My current monitor (23" TN) is VGA. I want to continue using this in portrait mode for email or whatever. (mainly to look cool!) Can I get a miniDP splitter? I would then need a VGA and DVI adapter for each side... I am aware this is probably retarded but can you split miniDP?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
None of these Korean 27"s have displayport, do they?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
No I think they are all DVI.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

thegasman2000 posted:

No I think they are all DVI.

There are some that have displayport (and)or hdmi (Crossover 27Q LED-M comes to mind), but you'll end up paying about as much as you would for the HP ZR2740W (might save 80bux). For that, probably worth it for the warranty from HP

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Got my new S23A700D yesterday. Really no complaints about the monitor itself. Great picture, 120Hz, comes with 3d glasses (the 3d glasses look so dorky, my wife threatened to divorce me if I wore them when guests were over - so that's a negative, I suppose).

My main issue was trying to get 3d support working in games. The Tridef software is worse than useless, and it took the better part of 3 hours to trick the nVidia driver into thinking I had a 3d vision emitter and that the display was really an Acer that is 3d vision compatible. This is nVidia's fault, not Samsung's, though. I'm still having an issue where when I switch to 3d mode in a game, the graphics card tries to tell the monitor to go into 3d mode, and the monitor turns off. Not a huge deal though, as it only happens when I enable or disable 3d.

The actual 3d effect is pretty slick. I noticed some ghosting, but that is to be expected. The monitor is very bright, and has great contrast and color for a TN display. 120hz works flawlessly, and is awesome for FPS games. The bezel is extremely thin on the sides and top (1cm), and would be perfect for multi-monitor setups. The whole system is surprisingly light, and very attractive looking (minus the glasses). The screen's finish is extremely reflective, but I play in a dark room with no windows, so it's not an issue.

Slight ding for the connectivity - no display port, the power supply is a brick instead of built in to the monitor, and the connectors stick straight out the back instead of down (so no flush wall mounting).

I purchased this monitor because it was the cheapest active 3d display I could find from a brand I trusted (300 bucks plus shipping), and I have no regrets. Awesome monitor for the cost, and worth every penny. If you are looking for budget 3D and either can live with Tridef's lack of support for most games or don't mind hacking away at the nVidia drivers to get it 3D to work, this is a fantastic monitor. Also a decent choice if you're just looking for 120hz and don't care about 3D. Kudos to Tiger Direct for getting it to me in 2 days with standard shipping.

Something to note - the 3d glasses are not rechargeable. They use a watch battery, so you may have to replace it at some point.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 29, 2012

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

thegasman2000 posted:

With my Catleap on iots way I have a question regarding using Dual Monitors on my MBP. My current monitor (23" TN) is VGA. I want to continue using this in portrait mode for email or whatever. (mainly to look cool!) Can I get a miniDP splitter? I would then need a VGA and DVI adapter for each side... I am aware this is probably retarded but can you split miniDP?

Some people in the overclock.net thread are using these monitors with a MBP via a DP->DVI adapter. For the resolutions that these monitors run at, however, you need an active DP -> dual link DVI converter which costs roughly $100.

Autarch Kade
May 6, 2008
I read the color calibration section in the OP, but wasn't sure about something. If I have multiple monitors on one computer in an Eyefinity setup, is there a color calibrating tool that will either work with them in the Eyefinity setup, or make the monitors look the same as each other.

I have two U3011 monitors that even I, a color blind person, can notice a difference between, and a third monitor that is an LG Flatron W3000H which is, I think, way off. Ideally I'd like them all to look the same with correct color.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

thegasman2000 posted:

There are only a few ways to multiple monitors off a MacBook Pro:

1) Daisy chain two Thunderbolt monitors

2) Daisy chain MBP -> Thunderbolt monitor -> non-monitor Thunderbolt device -> DP monitor

3) Use a DP -> DVI splitter (only works up to 2x1920x1080, can't drive the Catleap because all existing boxes are SL-DVI only)

4) One monitor DP, one monitor off a crappy USB video dongle

Option 4 is the least expensive given your existing VGA monitor, and probably the most appropriate choice. Anything full-motion like video or games will look like rear end, but e-mail/IM/static web stuff to look cool will work fine.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Autarch Kade posted:

I read the color calibration section in the OP, but wasn't sure about something. If I have multiple monitors on one computer in an Eyefinity setup, is there a color calibrating tool that will either work with them in the Eyefinity setup, or make the monitors look the same as each other.

I have two U3011 monitors that even I, a color blind person, can notice a difference between, and a third monitor that is an LG Flatron W3000H which is, I think, way off. Ideally I'd like them all to look the same with correct color.

Is buying an actual calibration tool out of the question in this case? You can buy the cheapest Spyder4 for about $120. I bought one and then returned it. I then ended up buying it again because I really do become obsessed with having uniform colors across my monitors.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I just ordered the Achieva Shimian 27". Just to be sure does it come with a dual link dvi cable? (the seller page seems to indicate it does).

e: Shimian not Catleap.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Aquila posted:

I just ordered the Achieva Shimian 27". Just to be sure does it come with a dual link dvi cable? (the seller page seems to indicate it does).

e: Shimian not Catleap.

They do come with the cable.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Autarch Kade posted:

It depends on how much you care about color correctness, and how close you want each to match. If you want things to be correct, and well matched, your only real option is to pick up a hardware calibrator: the Spyder lineup is generally pretty good, as are ones from X-Rite. Most of them only differ by what software package they come with. In that you have multiple monitors, either make sure you get one that supports multiple monitors, or download the "trial" version of ColorEyes Display Pro (the "trial" lasts 9999 days for most people), which will do multiple monitors for you.

If you don't really care that much, you can try manual calibration using one of the many websites which will assist you. You won't be nearly as accurate and well matched as if you bought the hardware, but it'd be better than nothing.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Got my Crossover. No dead pixels. This thing is awesome

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Factory Factory posted:

4) One monitor DP, one monitor off a crappy USB video dongle

Option 4 is the least expensive given your existing VGA monitor, and probably the most appropriate choice. Anything full-motion like video or games will look like rear end, but e-mail/IM/static web stuff to look cool will work fine.

Awesome thanks. It seems rather silly you can have the thunderbolt and the miniDP being used at the same time. I found a Thunderbolt to DVI for £40...

Usb Videocard it is then. Cheers!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

thegasman2000 posted:

Awesome thanks. It seems rather silly you can have the thunderbolt and the miniDP being used at the same time. I found a Thunderbolt to DVI for £40...

Usb Videocard it is then. Cheers!

Also note a lot of TN monitors are practically unusable in portrait mode - check out whether the image is good enough for you before buying extra stuff.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I've decided it's time to demote my old-rear end 2005FPW to secondary vertical monitor duty, now I just need to decide on a primary display. Currently I'm stuck on the Dell 23" U2312HM or the 24" U2412M.

Here are the reasons I'm currently shying away from the U2412M:

- I have my 55" plasma hooked to my pc via hdmi @ 1080p. Would there be any reason why driving both monitors at the same resolution would be beneficial?
- I've read the relatively uncommon 16:10 display can cause some games to have added black bars; how often can this extra resolution cause problems in game, or does it?
- Owners of the U2312HM claim it's quite a bit faster than its bigger brother in terms of ghosting/input lag, is there any truth to that?

Cost isn't really the issue in this decision, I just don't want any added complexity due to the @1200 resolution. Thoughts?

Edit-Thanks for the responses below. I'm going to snag a U2312HM when I start building an Ivy Bridge box and maybe there will be another sale!?!?

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 2, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The black bars only apply if you're plugging in a game console. PC games can cope pretty much universally. The only game I know of that actually is not as good at x1200 vs. x1080p is StarCraft 2, which will crop the sides of the screen rather than expand the vertical viewport. No black bars, but you see less despite the resolution being higher.

Re: TV and monitor at identical resolution, yes in a very small way. If the new monitor is being driven off of DVI or HDMI as well, rather than DisplayPort, having the displays at the same resolution and refresh rate will let your graphics card idle using a bit less electricity. It's not a big difference - a handful of watts - but it's a difference.

U2312HM vs. U2412M in ghosting and response is nearly a toss-up. Ghosting-wise, they're pretty much identical. In terms of input lag, the U2312HM is one of the fastest LCD displays in existence, but the U2412M is still fast enough that anybody but the twitchiest of twitch gamers wouldn't notice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Factory Factory posted:

The black bars only apply if you're plugging in a game console. PC games can cope pretty much universally. The only game I know of that actually is not as good at x1200 vs. x1080p is StarCraft 2, which will crop the sides of the screen rather than expand the vertical viewport. No black bars, but you see less despite the resolution being higher.

Assassin's Creed crops vertically leaving black bars top and bottom on PC. :sigh:
That applies to all the ones I've played so far, the first, second, brotherhood.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That's console ports for you

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dogen posted:

That's console ports for you

I'm so mad I bought those from Steam, the first one does not seem to play nice with the wireless 360 controller for PC either. So angering.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
That's sad, I played them all so far using a 360 controller, but I have the wired one.
Still, better than buying it on Xbox 360, since my second one has now died! Ah yes, two boxes that are only good for showing 3 red lights on the front, just what I always wanted, Microsoft.
I just know I'll be buying another, so I guess I'm the fool.

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...
Are there any 20-24" LED IPS monitors with 16:10 aspect (or taller / less widescreen), no or very minimal antiglare coating, with (mini-)DisplayPort or something inexpensively compatible?

It looks like an Apple Cinema display fits these criteria, but what's going on with the price difference here?

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-Cinem...mputer_Monitors

Are they the same monitor? The first one doesn't list the input types either.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Arob1000 posted:

Are there any 20-24" LED IPS monitors with 16:10 aspect (or taller / less widescreen), no or very minimal antiglare coating, with (mini-)DisplayPort or something inexpensively compatible?

It looks like an Apple Cinema display fits these criteria, but what's going on with the price difference here?

You could always get a Korean LCD 27" IPS for $340-$350 or thereabouts, but they don't have display port.

Edit: Didn't see the widescreen limitations. Oops.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arob1000 posted:

Same monitor, but the cheaper one is completely missing the front bezel cover.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I have a quick question about the Korean 27" IPS monitors. Has anyone from Canada purchased one? What was the duty?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Arob1000 posted:

Well, the Dell U2412M is 16:10 with LED backlighting and has DisplayPort (and you can easily get a cable with miniDP on one end and DP on the other), but Dell Monitors have fairly a fairly strong antiglare coating on them. I personally don't mind it on my U2711 (and much prefer it to the glossy screens like my Thunderbolt Display), but I realise not everyone can deal with it.

Edit: should probably mention that the U2412M is a 6-bit panel IPS panel. It still looks great but if you want 8-bit and you're looking at Dell you'll need to check out the older U2410 model. It's not LED backlit but it has DVI/VGA/DisplayPort/HDMI/component as opposed to the newer models which are only DVI/VGA/DisplayPort.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 2, 2012

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Mercurius posted:

Well, the Dell U2412M is 16:10 with LED backlighting and has DisplayPort (and you can easily get a cable with miniDP on one end and DP on the other), but Dell Monitors have fairly a fairly strong antiglare coating on them. I personally don't mind it on my U2711 (and much prefer it to the glossy screens like my Thunderbolt Display), but I realise not everyone can deal with it.

Edit: should probably mention that the U2412M is a 6-bit panel IPS panel. It still looks great but if you want 8-bit and you're looking at Dell you'll need to check out the older U2410 model. It's not LED backlit but it has DVI/VGA/DisplayPort/HDMI/component as opposed to the newer models which are only DVI/VGA/DisplayPort.
Do you have any idea why the U2412M is not being sold with the rest of the UltraSharp line? It's been missing from the list of UltraSharps for a few weeks now. Me and my monitor have been doing the hokey pokey for awhile now so I'll need a replacement soon and I hope there is nothing wrong with the U2412M.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=ultrasharp_monitor

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Just bought the $335 Achieva Shimian from TA_planet. It's just too cheap to pass up. Will follow up when it arrives, hopefully by the end of this week.

screaminghobo
Sep 9, 2011

thegoat posted:

I have a quick question about the Korean 27" IPS monitors. Has anyone from Canada purchased one? What was the duty?

Also wondering this as I'd like to pick one up soon.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Do you have any idea why the U2412M is not being sold with the rest of the UltraSharp line? It's been missing from the list of UltraSharps for a few weeks now. Me and my monitor have been doing the hokey pokey for awhile now so I'll need a replacement soon and I hope there is nothing wrong with the U2412M.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=ultrasharp_monitor
Well its listed on their small business side of things. Find me relieved.

screaminghobo posted:

I can't put it together in my head about buying a monitor without a OSD. Though the bright side is I won't need a lesson on Korean. Very tempting stuff.

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 3, 2012

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

I can't put it together in my head about buying a monitor without a OSD. Though the bright side is I won't need a lesson on Korean. Very tempting stuff.

You simply adjust the settings on your video card control panel. The one for NVIDIA cards is very good and beats the OSD on my old Dell. I didn't even know about it until I got this screen.

The screen is so absolutely fantastic. I still can't believe I paid under $400 for mine. It feels like I pirated it or something. No OSD is like complaining about the crappy rims bundled with the brand new Aston Martin you got for $15k

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug
Just posting to say that I like the asus proart pa246q better than the dell u2410 having had both.

Better response time, more colors, comes well calibrated, has the same dead pixel policy, more even backlighting, less overzealous matte coating, etc.

Check out the reviews on prad, I think it should be in the op. Maybe with a warning on asus customer service however, although I haven't had to deal with them so I can't say.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

screaminghobo posted:

I paid no duties in canada. Greensum declared it as a $30 value.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
The U2412M is 329.99 at Micro Center walk ins only with very limited supply.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The U2412M is currently $350NZD from dell.co.nz (thats $150NZD off)

I was just about to order the 23" version but that deal on the 24" was too good to pass up. I hope my graphics card doesn't get too choked up by the extra pixels :)

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
So a little problem has turned up with my Catleap. If my computer goes into sleep mode, the monitor doesn't seem to kick on when it wakes up. It was working fine when I first got it. Anyone have any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My U2412m does this when plugged in via displayport to an nvidia card.

If I'm correct Catleaps don't have displayport, so it's probably not that. The solution to my problem was to just go back to the bad old days of turning my monitor off.