Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Very Strange Things posted:

One of my local stores just posted a picture of "Fresh Organic Curry Leaves" so what do I make? The Macaroni?
Here's how to use curry leaves:

Start with a pot with about 1 cm of oil in it. Heat it on high heat. Sprinkle in a generous portion of black mustard seed. Lift the pot off the heat, and swirl the mustard seeds around. You'll need to lift the pot and put it back onto the heat a couple of times, because while the seeds should get hot and pop, you don't want them to burn. Then, add some cumin seeds and urad daal. Swirl the pot around again. The urad daal will get a nutty brown colour. Sprinkle in some asafoetida. Rip about 10 - 15 curry leaves in half, and throw them into the hot fat as soon as your urad daal is browned lightly. The smell will be amazing.

Use that to season beans, vegetables, or rice (when using with rice, add some grated ginger, sautee with some turmeric powder, and then finish with lemon juice for some stellar lemon rice).

Or, make medu vada. Soak 1 cup of urad daal in cold water for 1 hour. In a food processor, combine the drained urad daal, and as many curry leaves as you can possibly afford. Be generous. Add a few knobs (heh) of ginger, some salt, some cracked black pepper, some whole green chiles, and grind down some more. Add water as necessary. You don't need an absolute paste, but you want it to be somewhat smooth.

Drop by tablespoons into hot fat, and deep fry until medium brown. Eat with happiness and joy, for your house will smell like heaven for the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Does anyone have a good biryani recipe? I can never get it to come out similar to the one I get at a pakistani restaurant

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Voodoofly posted:

I have some homemade kimchi that ended up way, way too salty to eat by itself. Is there anything I can use it in that might mitigate the salt (like a soup or something), or should I just toss the batch and start over again?

Do like casu said and make kimchi stew with it, or chop it up and make kimchi fried rice, or sautee it up with some sugar, sesame oil, and slices of pork belly and serve it with warm tofu.

In any case, kimchi is supposed to be a condiment, so your kimchi being too salty doesn't mean you should throw it out. Just use it as an ingredient as opposed to a condiment, and take into account the extra saltiness. Worst case scenario, rinse it off and use it like a piquant sauerkraut.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

paraquat posted:

No, no, I wasn't making a joke.
I'm Dutch, and it's a fact that the average Dutch person consumes 10 to 12 grams of salt a day, even though consuming more than 6 grams a day is adviced against, and that is mainly because of the intake of bread and ready made products (jars, packages, pizza's, whatever)

The amount of salt required for any given person will vary wildly depending on their own physiology and daily activities. Some people even have to take salt supplements to replace what they naturally lose through heavy physical activity, etc.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

dino. posted:

Here's how to use curry leaves:

Start with a pot with about 1 cm of oil in it. Heat it on high heat. Sprinkle in a generous portion of black mustard seed. Lift the pot off the heat, and swirl the mustard seeds around. You'll need to lift the pot and put it back onto the heat a couple of times, because while the seeds should get hot and pop, you don't want them to burn. Then, add some cumin seeds and urad daal. Swirl the pot around again. The urad daal will get a nutty brown colour. Sprinkle in some asafoetida. Rip about 10 - 15 curry leaves in half, and throw them into the hot fat as soon as your urad daal is browned lightly. The smell will be amazing.

Use that to season beans, vegetables, or rice (when using with rice, add some grated ginger, sautee with some turmeric powder, and then finish with lemon juice for some stellar lemon rice).

Or, make medu vada. Soak 1 cup of urad daal in cold water for 1 hour. In a food processor, combine the drained urad daal, and as many curry leaves as you can possibly afford. Be generous. Add a few knobs (heh) of ginger, some salt, some cracked black pepper, some whole green chiles, and grind down some more. Add water as necessary. You don't need an absolute paste, but you want it to be somewhat smooth.

Drop by tablespoons into hot fat, and deep fry until medium brown. Eat with happiness and joy, for your house will smell like heaven for the rest of the day.

drat. Thanks. I actually meant to edit my post to call you out too; I'd seen some major curry expertise from you but forgotten. I guess I will try to find out what asafoetida is now.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Got a question. At my amish market they sell bone-in prime rib steaks (which are seriously delicious) and also prime rib roast which basically looks like a pile of said steaks that are still connected. The roast is a dollar cheaper per pound. If I were to buy the roast, what would I need to do in order to separate it into steaks? Would I need any special tools?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Funktor posted:

Got a question. At my amish market they sell bone-in prime rib steaks (which are seriously delicious) and also prime rib roast which basically looks like a pile of said steaks that are still connected. The roast is a dollar cheaper per pound. If I were to buy the roast, what would I need to do in order to separate it into steaks? Would I need any special tools?

Just a nice, big sharp knife. Don't saw when you cut into it, pull smoothly towards you and lift and repeat, instead of going back and forth.

That said, a prime rib roast with all the fixin's is an awesome way to throw a dinner party.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The amount of salt required for any given person will vary wildly depending on their own physiology and daily activities. Some people even have to take salt supplements to replace what they naturally lose through heavy physical activity, etc.

There's also an increasing amount of evidence that consuming more salt than your body needs isn't necessarily harmful, unless you have certain indicators (predisposition to high blood pressure, problems with dehydration, kidney and liver disease, etc.). Most healthy people will just end up peeing out the extra salt.

A lot of companies that make processed foods are catching on to the idea that people want less sodium, too, so plenty of packaged food has less sodium in it now than in years past.

Paraquat, I don't know how labeling works in other countries, but in the US just about everything has a nutritional label. Even plain bottled water. Avoiding foods that require a nutritional label here means basically all you can buy is whole fruit and raw meat.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

RazorBunny posted:

Paraquat, I don't know how labeling works in other countries, but in the US just about everything has a nutritional label. Even plain bottled water. Avoiding foods that require a nutritional label here means basically all you can buy is whole fruit and raw meat.

I think his point was that stuff with labels is processed factory food and is bad for you as a general rule, and he's kinda right in a sense that most foods ARE bad for you according to this scientist or that; but unless Mr. Paraquat is eating only freerange organic microbiotic stuff he grows himself then he's a huge hypocrite

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The part that bothered me is that nutrition-breakdown labels are the only way to be confident that you're eating/drinking foods that don't have any sodium. Allergies and ingredient-specific problems like Diabetes are most of the reason we have those labels in the first place.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 28, 2012

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Very Strange Things posted:

drat. Thanks. I actually meant to edit my post to call you out too; I'd seen some major curry expertise from you but forgotten. I guess I will try to find out what asafoetida is now.
1) Thanks, Dino. I was hoping you'd reply--your answer was better than mine. :)

2) Asafoetida is a powder that adds a complex flavor to curries--a rough analogue to garlic/onion (and is actually used as a garlic substitute by folks who don't eat it). It's got a pungent odor when uncooked, so you'll want to store it in a jar. Add a pinch of it towards the end of toasting your spices and before adding your veggies. You can buy it at Indian or Asian stores.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
No poo poo? I have mild allergies to (uncooked) garlic and onions, apparently to an enzyme called allicin that's destroyed by heat oxidation if they're well-cooked. Gotta try me some asafoetida now, thanks for the heads-up!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Might also be labelled "hing." It's good use it a lot!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Splizwarf posted:

No poo poo? I have mild allergies to (uncooked) garlic and onions, apparently to an enzyme called allicin that's destroyed by heat oxidation if they're well-cooked. Gotta try me some asafoetida now, thanks for the heads-up!
Don't be afraid of the smell. It's pretty nasty before you cook it, but completely mellows out after you cook it.

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
I found a new Asian market today and now am in possession of a "Dark Yam Starch Cake". I've cooked with yam and shiritaki noodles before, but I don't have a clue what to do with this. Any thoughts?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Terrormisu posted:

I found a new Asian market today and now am in possession of a "Dark Yam Starch Cake". I've cooked with yam and shiritaki noodles before, but I don't have a clue what to do with this. Any thoughts?

Does it have shrimps, porks, scallions, and mushrooms suspended in it? Is it just a big brick of starch? If so, and depending on if it is steamed through or not, you will need to steam it, then slice it, then just pan fry it in a bit of oil, on both sides.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there anything that a meat tenderizer mallet can accomplish that a fist can't?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Captain Payne posted:

Is there anything that a meat tenderizer mallet can accomplish that a fist can't?

If you're really going to use the spiky end of the tenderizer, your fist isn't going to do what you want it to. If you want to flatten the meat uniformly, your fist isn't going to work either. For the former, a jaccard is a better tool, for the latter, the bottom of a heavy skillet is a better tool.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The Macaroni posted:

Don't be afraid of the smell. It's pretty nasty before you cook it, but completely mellows out after you cook it.

That's a lie, it smells delicious. Like every awesome Indian restaurant ever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jose posted:

Since UK and US cuts of beef are different, what specifically do I want when trying to get american brisket? I know that its not a totally different cut but I'm after the kind of thinner cuts that seem standard in the US. The cut I bought was round if any of this makes sense
The cut right behind the front shank:

What are you planning on doing with it? If you're planning on smoking it you want what's sometimes called a `packer's cut', which includes a thick layer of fat, and includes a flat slab of meat usually called the flat of the brisket and a round lump of fattier meat usually called the point (although also sometimes called a deckle, although this seems to be something I only hear from old-school butchers anymore). If you're planning on making corned beef you can get away with just the flat of the brisket, sometimes (in the US) identified as a `cap off' brisket.

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?

GrAviTy84 posted:

Does it have shrimps, porks, scallions, and mushrooms suspended in it? Is it just a big brick of starch? If so, and depending on if it is steamed through or not, you will need to steam it, then slice it, then just pan fry it in a bit of oil, on both sides.

Just a starch brick in a liquid. The only recipe I have found online so far is for one with the starch cake topped with the ingredients you mentioned. Anything else I can do with it?

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
Where can I find elk and venison meat in Washington state? I'm willing to drive a little, and usually bounce between the Seattle/Tacoma areas.

I'd love to get tags and go hunting myself, but I would have no idea what I would be doing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Taft Punk posted:

Where can I find elk and venison meat in Washington state? I'm willing to drive a little, and usually bounce between the Seattle/Tacoma areas.

I'd love to get tags and go hunting myself, but I would have no idea what I would be doing.

Find some friends who are hunters and you'll be swimming in it. Or, if you don't have any friends who are hunters, start hanging around gun shops and getting into the hobby - pretty soon you'll have a bunch of friends who are hunters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SubG posted:

The cut right behind the front shank:

What are you planning on doing with it? If you're planning on smoking it you want what's sometimes called a `packer's cut', which includes a thick layer of fat, and includes a flat slab of meat usually called the flat of the brisket and a round lump of fattier meat usually called the point (although also sometimes called a deckle, although this seems to be something I only hear from old-school butchers anymore). If you're planning on making corned beef you can get away with just the flat of the brisket, sometimes (in the US) identified as a `cap off' brisket.

This is brilliant thanks. It'll be for further adventures making corned beef and pastrami mainly although I would like to smoke some this summer. I have a feeling I'll need to take this guide to the butcher though to get exactly what I want

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you're really going to use the spiky end of the tenderizer, your fist isn't going to do what you want it to. If you want to flatten the meat uniformly, your fist isn't going to work either. For the former, a jaccard is a better tool, for the latter, the bottom of a heavy skillet is a better tool.

Neither is nearly as satisfying though. :v:

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

First time making chicken stock, couldn't get a hold of any carcasses, but I bought 2 rotisserie chickens and took the meat off for later use. I've been storing random odds and sods of vegetables in the freezer, but have fresh onion, carrot, and celery for use if needed. Question: how much is too much for vegetables? I have garlic, ginger and thyme, all fresh, what proportion should I use them in? and Amount of water to start with, cooking it down over time if necessary to get the flavour right would be ok?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

G-force15 posted:

First time making chicken stock, couldn't get a hold of any carcasses, but I bought 2 rotisserie chickens and took the meat off for later use. I've been storing random odds and sods of vegetables in the freezer, but have fresh onion, carrot, and celery for use if needed. Question: how much is too much for vegetables? I have garlic, ginger and thyme, all fresh, what proportion should I use them in? and Amount of water to start with, cooking it down over time if necessary to get the flavour right would be ok?
bones that have been cooked make for better stock. use as much as you want. everything that goes into a stock is there to add flavour.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Yeah I noticed some roasted carcasses when looking around, didn't know it was a thing. Well, off to the races!

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Terrormisu posted:

Just a starch brick in a liquid. The only recipe I have found online so far is for one with the starch cake topped with the ingredients you mentioned. Anything else I can do with it?

I've seen them pan fried with sweet soy sauce for dipping. I've mostly eaten it as a savory dim sum dish, topped with little prawns and all that stuff.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
So I am making some buffalo chicken dip for a dip competition this weekend. I want to make it spicy but the "spicy" recipes online just seem to change the variety of frank's hot sauce going into it. Does anyone have any wisdom on actually adding chopped spicy peppers to it instead being a good/bad idea?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

ultrachrist posted:

So I am making some buffalo chicken dip for a dip competition this weekend. I want to make it spicy but the "spicy" recipes online just seem to change the variety of frank's hot sauce going into it. Does anyone have any wisdom on actually adding chopped spicy peppers to it instead being a good/bad idea?

If this is a thing you are set on making, then yes, add a shitton of peppers.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

It's a good idea but "buffalo" is also a balanced mix of flavors so make sure you add enough butter, vinegar (and probably sugar) to it that you can taste them and not just overpowering heat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ultrachrist posted:

Because people expect buffalo chicken dip to taste like...well...buffalo chicken dip, if you're looking to increase the heat level you should use a pepper that is high on heat and low on flavor. What does your recipe look like? It might make more sense to cook the peppers in some sort of fat and then use the fat in the recipe rather than the peppers themselves, although I can't think of adding some sort of additional fat to a dish already mostly composed of it.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. The category I'm entering is "buffalo chicken dip", so yeah, definitely needs to taste like it.

Was thinking of using this recipe: http://mikefuller.hubpages.com/hub/The-best-buffalo-chicken-dip-recipe

1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast (or approx 2-3 large chicken breasts)
1 cup of ranch dressing ( Hidden Valley, Kraft, or Wishbone)
1 cup of Franks Original Red Hot (do not substitute this please)
1 8 oz block of cream cheese (do not use fat free, 1/3rd less fat OK)
1 package of fancy shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
Green onions (optional)

And maybe some blue cheese crumbles.

I was googling around about peppers and now I'm considering if I should just make my own sauce and control the heat level there rather than trying to chop and then balance with vinegar or something along those lines.

I found this site with an idea: http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/hot_peppers.htm

Relevant info:

quote:

There are countless hot pepper sauces on the market today. I prefer Franks, (made from cayenne peppers), and the classic Tabasco, (made from tabasco peppers). Steer clear of the ultra hot sauces. You can recognize them by the small bottle, the crazy name, and the price. These super hot sauces are an intensified extract of capsaicin.

They provide dangerously high heat but a relatively low flavor yield since the heat factor is not balanced by a proportionate amount of the other elements in the chile pepper. In other words, if each drop of the super-sauce equaled one jalapeno, you would get a greater depth of flavor from including five jalapenos in your dish than from five drops of the sauce. Here’s my recipe for habanero sauce, which will provide blistering heat and satisfy all but the most masochistic fire-eaters.

1 cup water
1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
1-3 fresh or dried habanero peppers, depending on how hot you like it.
1 large red bell pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt

Chop up the bell and habanero peppers, (or grind the habaneros if using dried). Place all of the ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 8-10 minutes. Finally, puree the mixture in a blender.

Though then I'm wondering if I make a habanero sauce if it's going to taste weird since most dips use the frank's cayenne sauce.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

If you're replacing the Frank's red hot entirely, just keep in mind that it provides a vinegary kick that's pretty central to the whole experience. So you might want to add cider vinegar or something.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. The category I'm entering is "buffalo chicken dip", so yeah, definitely needs to taste like it.

Was thinking of using this recipe: http://mikefuller.hubpages.com/hub/The-best-buffalo-chicken-dip-recipe

1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast (or approx 2-3 large chicken breasts)
NO.

quote:

1 cup of ranch dressing ( Hidden Valley, Kraft, or Wishbone)
gently caress NO.

quote:

1 cup of Franks Original Red Hot (do not substitute this please)
1 8 oz block of cream cheese (do not use fat free, 1/3rd less fat OK)
1 package of fancy shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
Green onions (optional)
So far the optional ingredient is the only good thing going for this recipe.

quote:

And maybe some blue cheese crumbles.

I was googling around about peppers and now I'm considering if I should just make my own sauce and control the heat level there rather than trying to chop and then balance with vinegar or something along those lines.

I found this site with an idea: http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/hot_peppers.htm

Relevant info:

Though then I'm wondering if I make a habanero sauce if it's going to taste weird since most dips use the frank's cayenne sauce.
Roast a whole chicken, or at least use some wings, thighs, and legs. You will get very little chicken flavor from boneless, skinless breasts.

Use some heavy cream, vinegar, and melted butter instead of some lovely salad dressing. I'll find you a better recipe than that bowl of trailer-trash nastiness.
----------------------
edit: Make this as a base instead of using Ranch dressing:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/onion-dip-from-scratch-recipe/index.html

Roast a chicken:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-roast-chicken-recipe/index.html
You can ignore most of the seasoning stuff. Basically just buy a small chicken ($5 or less), pat it dry and coat it with salt and pepper, put it in your oven at 450 until the outside is really brown, then turn the oven down to 350 and leave it for another half hour or so.

Let it cool. If, when you start cutting it up, there's any redness to it just pop it back in for another 15 minutes. Not ideal, but just trying to blast you through this.
Rip all the meat off and chop it up. I'd leave some crispy skin in it.

Butter. Melt it.
Dash of vinegar.
Salt.
Pepper.
Onion powder.
Paprika.
Cayenne pepper.
Whatever hot sauce lifts your skirt. I'd use Frank's until it tasted like "buffalo-style", then add something super hot like a scotch bonnet.
Mix it all together with some softened cream cheese.

I'd probably throw in some celery, diced up real small.

If it wasn't thick enough I'd add more cream cheese. If it was too thick I'd probably dump in a splash of vinegar and/or some chicken stock.

Bleu Cheese crumbles? Absolutely.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

ultrachrist posted:

Haha, poo poo! I'm a dip philistine. Yeah I'd like to see a better recipe.

Also noted on the franks and vinegar kick, thanks.
I'm working, or I'd think about it more but the main thing is that really good buffalo wings taste good because of the delicious fat and oil and skin. Everyone else's dip will be just like the one you posted so you might as well go big.
My concept will also cost you less money, by the way.

The main thing to do is taste it all the way through the mixing and flavoring process. When you think it's good, add even more salt. Never underestimate peoples' love of salt. Throw some Worcestershire in that poo poo too.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 29, 2012

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010
I want to make a vinaigrette that will keep several weeks in the fridge (I bring salads into work and keep the dressing there). I'm assuming that the oil/vinegar/mustard base will be fine, but what other things are okay to add? Help me not get botulism.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ultrachrist posted:

You'd better include a fair amount of bleu cheese. No buffalo wing (let a lone a dip!) is complete without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Electron Voltaire posted:

I want to make a vinaigrette that will keep several weeks in the fridge (I bring salads into work and keep the dressing there). I'm assuming that the oil/vinegar/mustard base will be fine, but what other things are okay to add? Help me not get botulism.

You won't get botulism. Just don't add raw eggs/meat

Anything that would normally keep in the fridge for several weeks will keep even better when submerged in vinegar and oil