Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
Selling cheap sports cars does not make money, thats why Toyota only sells bland cars. They created scion to lure younger people into buying toyotas when they grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've owned five Toyotas and had crazy brand loyalty but none of that carries over to Scion. Scion just doesn't have any of the image of quality and indestructability that Toyota at least used to have, and the "slap a giant wing and dubs on it, for performance!" crowd that Scion markets to weren't Toyota buyers in the first place.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
my buddy Myles weighs in on the brz:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2331968

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mattmofob posted:

Selling cheap sports cars does not make money, thats why Toyota only sells bland cars. They created scion to lure younger people into buying toyotas when they grow up.

Scion definitely makes money (or at least has in the past, right now is kind of A Bad Time for them product-wise), but I agree that I doubt the FT will make any money whatsoever.

The bar is so low for the FT in terms of sales for Scion that it would have to crater worse than any car that's been released in North America in recent history, which is probably not going to happen. Worst comes to worst, they drop MSRP by a grand, take a slightly larger hit on it and get a low enough positioning below the BRZ that non-loyalists won't be able to ignore $2000-$25000 on the hood.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

jamal posted:

I like that the first reply is "very well written review" on a post that would probably get you probated here.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

BoostCreep posted:

I'd buy the Scion over the Subaru because of no haggle pricing and it's cheaper. I'm sure at least some other people feel the same way. I bought a new tC in 2005 and the entire process was so incredibly painless that it'd be a pleasure to buy another Scion.

Me too. For me it was this:

Hay guys! :catfishrazz:

Also being able to get one without a nav system is a big deal to me. You guys did a decent job of talking me out of blindly hating Scion for their offensive stupid marketing. If only either company offered a pepper white. :allears:

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

The 86's aren't exactly common knowledge right now outside of the enthusiast crowd. Despite this a whole shitload of them have been bought up already. The FR-S is supposed to be twice as common as the BRZ, so my bet is that a lot of the people that won't find out about the cars until they're actually on the streets and have marketing campaigns are going to end up buying the FR-S just because they're going to have a hard time finding a BRZ.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I could see Lexus doing a flat 6 turbo version of this car. They would have to soften up the suspension so the 1%ers balls are cushioned properly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

That sounds really good. Hopefully some of it (feel, throttle response, driving position, suspension rebound) will trickle up to the WRX/STI.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 29, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

I could see Lexus doing a flat 6 turbo version of this car. They would have to soften up the suspension so the 1%ers balls are cushioned properly.

Are you high?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Elephanthead posted:

There is about zero percent chance of this happening. This car is way too small to be a Lexus..among a lot of other things.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you high?

Alright, the turbo flat six was kind of ridiculous, but I could see Lexus offering a variant of this platform with a V6. The SC has grown into a geriatric land barge, so they need something a bit more sporty to counter-act that. Since the IS is definitely targeting the 3 series crowd, this could give them a great Z4 fighter.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you high?

Someone at Lexus decided the CT250h was a good idea, anything is possible.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I don't even think an inline 4 would fit. The most they could do would be to turbocharge it and upgrade its internals. But, they are working on a roadster version, so I could see that being a Lexus going after the Z4 crowd.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
How about an inline 4 as in a quad-rotor Wankel? :razz:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I will bet you a poo poo load of money we'll never see this as a Lexus. I don't think it fits with the brand's direction whatsoever.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Well, we won't have to wait too long for your to pay-out. The rumor was (years ago) that Lexus would use a stretched version of the platform for the next IS. The next generation IS should be announced pretty soon, seeing as the current version is going on seven years old.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Neither a V6 nor an I-4 would fit into that hood. I'm sure a turbo boxer-4 will be good enough for the lifespan of this particular model, going by the power changes in the 944 and Rx-7s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

Well, we won't have to wait too long for your to pay-out. The rumor was (years ago) that Lexus would use a stretched version of the platform for the next IS. The next generation IS should be announced pretty soon, seeing as the current version is going on seven years old.

I'm pretty sure an unrecognizable platform-shared four door doesn't cause me to pay out on this one.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am going to post the smug smile when the new IS clown shoe corrollaru with no back seat is for sale. No I am not high, I am naturally immune to logic.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wrong Thread, hurf

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

kimbo305 posted:

Neither a V6 nor an I-4 would fit into that hood. I'm sure a turbo boxer-4 will be good enough for the lifespan of this particular model, going by the power changes in the 944 and Rx-7s.

a v8 does

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5JvTiLxY1A&feature=related

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm pretty sure an unrecognizable platform-shared four door doesn't cause me to pay out on this one.

Stretching this platform won't make it unrecognizable, there are lots of cars where coupes and sedans share the same platform (3 series, Golf/Jetta, Accord, etc). Plus, the IS exists in a coupe and convertible form right now, seeing as we already know that the FT is getting a convertible, it is possible that Lexus will use the exact same platform with a different engine for those variants.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
If they do make a convertible version it better be 2 seats only

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Nodoze posted:

If they do make a convertible version it better be 2 seats only

Four seats! :colbert:

Those seats are dog seats anyways, and dogs love convertibles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

Stretching this platform won't make it unrecognizable, there are lots of cars where coupes and sedans share the same platform (3 series, Golf/Jetta, Accord, etc). Plus, the IS exists in a coupe and convertible form right now, seeing as we already know that the FT is getting a convertible, it is possible that Lexus will use the exact same platform with a different engine for those variants.

Golf and Jetta don't share a platform.

You're telling me that a 180in OAL sedan running on a 107.5" wheelbase is either a) going to turn in to something built on a 101.2" wheelbase intended for a 166" OAL or b) that the 101.2" wheelbase toyobaru platform is going to grow to 108" without significant changes. It's like speculating that Acura would build something on the S2K platform. It ain't gonna happen.

For reference, the E90 coupe was 181.9" on a 108.7" WB and the sedan was 178.2" on the same wheelbase.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Golf and Jetta don't share a platform.

They sure do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_A_platform#A5

e: :o: Well Then. I Stand Corrected. \/\/\/

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 29, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The NCS platform is a derivative of the PQ35 platform but they're not The Same.

edit: if you're going off of that wikipedia article PQ46 is a derivative so basically all VW passenger cars are the same platform, which is fine... but then you'd have to consider the toyobaru to be on the same platform as the Impreza, which I personally would not. It's all semantics about derivatives etc.

edit2: as far as I'm concerned, once you start changing wheelbase, you have a derivative platform, which I'd consider separate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 29, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like that the first reply is "very well written review" on a post that would probably get you probated here.

I thought it was a decent review. Self-indulgent and too verbose, but not terrible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

aventari posted:

I thought it was a decent review. Self-indulgent and too verbose, but not terrible.

It was a fine review with a little too much minutiae for me, but I was more referring to the word salad and profligate ellipses and such. Well written just wasn't what came to mind. It was more a commentary on how good posting in AI tends to be :glomp:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Edit: none Toyotabaru discussion removed.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Neither a V6 nor an I-4 would fit into that hood.

Didn't stop BMW with their V8 M3s.
:rimshot:

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

sanchez posted:

Someone at Lexus decided the CT250h was a good idea, anything is possible.

Lexus doesn't just sell one entry-level hybrid with an incoherent name, they have two: HS250h and CT200h. Maybe a legitimate sports car, say a 2-seat roadster version of the FR-S, isn't a stretch for the brand, but they would probably find some way to ruin it anyway.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sockington posted:

Didn't stop BMW with their V8 M3s.
:rimshot:

They :dong: bulged that hood a bit, though. I assumed they'd have to dome the nice low hood to get it to a factory acceptable mounting position. Isn't this one:
set pretty low?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

..if you hack the firewall to bits you can fit anything....

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
You can get away with a lot of poo poo when you don't have to worry about those pesky safety and environmental regulations.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Just as an interesting point on the issue of can such a high CR engine safely be boosted - the blown 2GR in the JDM Toyota Mark X (which may or may not have been internally identical to the one in teh TRD Aurion) ran an 11.8:1 CR

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 30, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit2: as far as I'm concerned, once you start changing wheelbase, you have a derivative platform, which I'd consider separate.

I'll be a dick & disagree - the auris & avensis we make are on the same platform with a 4"ish wheelbase difference. The underbody is identical except the centre tunnel/front floor pans/front side rockers are shorter. All made on the same tooling too. You can't argue thats not the same platform with a different wheelbase.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'd say it's about what they want to do with it. Would you call the new Mini Clubman the same platform as the regular? Either way, it didn't really offer the same fun. Likewise, who knows how different a stretched FT86 chassis would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Welp, now I want an AWD BRZ limo with a V8 in it, thanks guys.

• Locked thread