Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Oldstench posted:

So, do most of you actually enjoy DS2, or do you just play it because a) MegaTen, and b) the lack of good SRPGs on DS?

I'm tempted, but the large amounts of "typical Atlus bullshit" comments is making me worried I'll hate it.

I liked it a lot. I played through 5 times and there was only 1 roadblock that took me more than 1 free battle (for retooling) to get through and that was the endgame boss. The most important thing for me was setting up skill sets on team leaders. The uber humans provide a good example for how you should set up.

I liked the first DS but did not feel like the customization was as good coming off of Strange Journey. DS2 over compensates here and you can become godly. SJ is also my favorite Megaten game if that tells you anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I don't understand the "on the DS" statement.

There's a lack of SRPGs that I find playable on ANY system, period.

See, my brain is somehow completely unable to manage micromanagement, so RTS-styled games are completely out.

I'm an OCD completionist who can NEVER miss out on 100% stuff without seriously pushing down my ragequit urges, so I can't get into the Fire Emblem games with their permadeath.

I'm just plain horrible at strategy, so less RPG-like strategy games like Advance Wars and XCom just make me froth at the mouth.

DS2 is easily breakable, with mechanics that are easy to exploit, while still having a decent amount of challenge, albeit said challenge being in bullshit Atlus form. To be honest, I think I got less upset at DS2 than I ever did at DS1, and I got mad at EITHER game less than I did Luminous Arc.

I can't say "oh, it's just cuz it's Megaten" either, because the only Megaten games I've even played are the two DS games and SJ. I haven't even touched a single Persona title.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

KataraniSword posted:

I haven't even touched a single Persona title.

I'm similar to you with the OCD but to a lesser extent. I'm trying P3P again. Last time I got way crazy with time managment/social links/demon fusing and completely burned out by the last month. I can deal with missing a little but P3P has so much to perfect...

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Oldstench posted:

So, do most of you actually enjoy DS2, or do you just play it because a) MegaTen, and b) the lack of good SRPGs on DS?

I'm tempted, but the large amounts of "typical Atlus bullshit" comments is making me worried I'll hate it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love DS2 about as much as I hate it. Difficulty is a good element, not a bad one and the game is very rarely unfair.

You're kind of right, though. I'd play pretty much anything MegaTen, and I'd also play anything that's a good SRPG (god knows SRPG enthusiasts have been starved for good games over the last decade).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Pretty much for the same reason I like games like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

Demon/Dark aren't even in the same room as in regards to the poo poo SMT games usually pull, Demon/Dark is all about knowledge of enemies and bosses, you will never get stuck in that game unless you are absolutely terrible.

SMT stuff is usually one giant dose of runny poo poo dumped on your head till you smack into the solution, even then it takes awhile to get it done, it usually involves brute forcing your way through something, or in regards to other titles, videos and faqs.

Seriously, SMT super bosses aren't even remotely fair and not in a "wow this dude is loving hard" kind of way, more in a "how the gently caress was I supposed to figure that out without a walkthrough way".

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You just abuse the gamebreakers they sprinkle liberally to bypass all the needed strategies.

Figure out the Ur-Child's (EO2) pattern? Pft. Grab two Hexers and spam Revenge!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Oldstench posted:

I actually really like it. The jump in difficulty was shocking but once I sat down and used the options available it was a lot of fun.

DS2 basically gives the battle system in DS1 a lot more options and tricks and I appreciate it. Too bad the setting and music is so bleh in this one.

It does have great characters though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm actually pretty astounded people are having such trouble with DS2, it's much easier than the first, even without dragon spamming.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

RentACop posted:

I'm actually pretty astounded people are having such trouble with DS2, it's much easier than the first, even without dragon spamming.

I found the first couple days very difficult compared to the first one. DS gave you a lot of time for grasping the system where 2 just chucked you in.

What day are you on? The difficulty really spikes after the teams are divided especially if you let people die. And Polaris whooped my rear end for a while.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
How important is the manual for SMT:Strange Journey? The local GameStop has it used but only the cart.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Oldstench posted:

How important is the manual for SMT:Strange Journey? The local GameStop has it used but only the cart.

SJ has a good tutorial section to start and many of the more complicated features are introduced as the game progresses. I wouldn't worry about it.

Familiar with SMT at all?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Pierce posted:

SJ has a good tutorial section to start and many of the more complicated features are introduced as the game progresses. I wouldn't worry about it.

Familiar with SMT at all?
Played about 10 hours of P3, but that's it. I speak fluent dungeon crawl and a bit of anime if that helps at all.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Oldstench posted:

Played about 10 hours of P3, but that's it. I speak fluent dungeon crawl and a bit of anime if that helps at all.

You got it then. As a dungeon crawl fan myself, you're in for a treat. The later levels are awesome.

If you regret it, pm me and I'll mail you the manual. I just picked this up for a second time and will not be selling this copy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The only thing the manual has that I ever used is a bit of a cheat-sheet as to how Fusion works (Avian + Fairy = Megami, Genma + Beast = Holy, that sort of thing). It's easy enough to find online in such cases.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I've found that DS2 is a lot easier than DS1. It feels like there are fewer factors outside my control. Having a Compendium makes me less wary of fusing Unique demons, and character recruitment feels less esoteric than in DS1. As a whole, it feels less stressful to play than DS1, and I appreciate that.

KataraniSword posted:

The only thing the manual has that I ever used is a bit of a cheat-sheet as to how Fusion works (Avian + Fairy = Megami, Genma + Beast = Holy, that sort of thing). It's easy enough to find online in such cases.

Honestly the internet has better options anyway.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

RentACop posted:

The first time you fight the final boss it's pretty bad. Especially if you never took the time to find out how suspend save works.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

^^ That might be trouble, first time through I got past the first form easily enough but then wasn't paying attention and berserked the Murmur team with the MC :/. It didn't seem like it'll be too hard though, I guess I'll see soon enough

Pierce posted:

What day are you on? The difficulty really spikes after the teams are divided especially if you let people die. And Polaris whooped my rear end for a while.

I'm on the last day final boss. Day seven was just a matter of shifting my demons around a bit, though admittedly that days final boss was a huuuge bitch that took three tries

edit: The derpiest mc (top right is funniest to me, also mild spoilers in this picture)

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 29, 2012

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Pierce posted:

You got it then. As a dungeon crawl fan myself, you're in for a treat. The later levels are awesome.

If you regret it, pm me and I'll mail you the manual. I just picked this up for a second time and will not be selling this copy.
Thanks! Appreciate it.

That looks really helpful. Thanks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RentACop posted:

edit: The derpiest mc (top right is funniest to me, also mild spoilers in this picture)

God, I love the joke answers in this game. They're so hard to resist. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

King of Solomon posted:

I always thought it was strange how, the MORE hosed the world became, the doofier you could make your answers.

• Shake her hand
  • What's this?
  • Sniff her hand

It's like the game WANTS you to devolve into an insane troll by the end.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

King of Solomon posted:

I have to confess, the best part of the game for me was calling every single person that woke me up a pervert every single day. :downs:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
My favorite part was in Day 3 IIRC where Yamato's like "ok here's the plan" and you can space out like :downs:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Dragongem posted:

My favorite part was in Day 3 IIRC where Yamato's like "ok here's the plan" and you can space out like :downs:

Yeah I was about to mention that. The options are something like "Listen" and "Space out."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Alteisen posted:

Demon/Dark aren't even in the same room as in regards to the poo poo SMT games usually pull, Demon/Dark is all about knowledge of enemies and bosses, you will never get stuck in that game unless you are absolutely terrible.

SMT stuff is usually one giant dose of runny poo poo dumped on your head till you smack into the solution, even then it takes awhile to get it done, it usually involves brute forcing your way through something, or in regards to other titles, videos and faqs.

Seriously, SMT super bosses aren't even remotely fair and not in a "wow this dude is loving hard" kind of way, more in a "how the gently caress was I supposed to figure that out without a walkthrough way".

Haha, how poetic. You're right, the types of challenge they present are different, but then I suppose it also depends on how "large" you consider the room to be. SMT and the Souls games COULD be lumped under a "hard games" umbrella, but that would just be pedantic.

Also, those images of the DS2 MC are hilarious. I chose most of those dialogue options. I really like the smug "I have, actually" in response to Yamato's statement.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

When your replies to Ronaldo at the beginning of the 7th day on his route were all in Spanish (Buenos noches/Buenos dias/Callete!), I thought it was amusing, given context.

And then on my next playthrough, I noticed that your replies to Yamato at the beginning of the 7th day on his route... were exactly the same. Then it became hilarious. It's not some multicultural poo poo because Ronaldo is part Brazillian, no! The MC is just a dick who decided to spout out Spanish for no good reason! :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

KataraniSword posted:

When your replies to Ronaldo at the beginning of the 7th day on his route were all in Spanish (Buenos noches/Buenos dias/Callete!), I thought it was amusing, given context.

And then on my next playthrough, I noticed that your replies to Yamato at the beginning of the 7th day on his route... were exactly the same. Then it became hilarious. It's not some multicultural poo poo because Ronaldo is part Brazillian, no! The MC is just a dick who decided to spout out Spanish for no good reason! :v:

He's also a dick for speaking Spanish to a guy that's part Brazilian.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Oh man, I forgot my other favorite one.

In Day 3 where you're about to storm the Nagoya JP branch, Daichi goes "Man, are we really gonna fight humans? I'm not sure about this...". The normal response is like "well, we gotta do this", but the fun response is "Get pumped!". C'mon Daichi, GET YOUR BLOODLUST ON.

I have to say some of the character interactions are great in this game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

RentACop posted:

My favourite part of the "Shrinky-shrinky!" one is the follow-up where you get a chance to use the thing you've shrunk, and you can say "Shrinky-shrinky!" again to try and make it work. AO's reaction is especially funny if you have him with you.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I figure that I might as well come in and sadly crush the hopes of anyone who was interested in the SMT: Imagine relaunch.

I did a bit of digging today, and, well... according to an Atlus Online mod they do not intend on fixing anything. Not even the utterly broken translations/tutorials.

Even if they had the will to change much of anything besides maybe what items get sold in the cash shop, there is a good shot that they can't. Aeria had to ask CAVE to implement the translations they want. As you might imagine (hah), this does not exactly result in efficient translating or code fixes, since CAVE is known to basically not care about SMT: Imagine anymore. There is absolutely no indication that this situation has gotten better in the transfer to Atlus.

As for rebalancing it to make it more sane... well, in theory it can happen. In practice, apparently what happens is that CAVE maintains two versions of the game. So if Atlus asks for, say, macca acquisition to not be a horrendous grind, what can quite probably happen is that it gets reverted back whenever CAVE feels like it or forgets that they made that change on the English version.

So yeah. If you were hoping for there to be some sort of messianic resurrection, you can basically forget it.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 30, 2012

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Well, I hope you guys are happy. :colbert:

Gamefly gave me an offer to start again for my next month being $1, so I just put Devil Survivor 2 in my queue. If it's really good, I'll have to sell some of my extra things to buy a copy.
All the discussion about it made me want to try, and that picture of the hilarious dialogue options sealed the deal.

I haven't even gotten one of the "real" endings to DS1, what is my problem? Does DS2 have any major spoilers for DS1? It looks like they're separate storylines and characters, but I just wanted to make sure.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Catalina posted:

Well, I hope you guys are happy. :colbert:

Gamefly gave me an offer to start again for my next month being $1, so I just put Devil Survivor 2 in my queue. If it's really good, I'll have to sell some of my extra things to buy a copy.
All the discussion about it made me want to try, and that picture of the hilarious dialogue options sealed the deal.

I haven't even gotten one of the "real" endings to DS1, what is my problem? Does DS2 have any major spoilers for DS1? It looks like they're separate storylines and characters, but I just wanted to make sure.

Completely separate as far as the story is concerned. I don't think it even references the first game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Completely separate as far as the story is concerned. I don't think it even references the first game.

There is, as far as I recall, exactly one reference and it isn't anything meaningful.

Black Frost shouting that he'll bestow magical punishment upon your party.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It popped into my head fully formed that it WAS a direct sequel and what was happening was due to a power vacuum caused by the war in heaven in Naoya's route, so when absolutely none of that turned out to be true the destruction of my head-canon threw me for a loop

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

I figure that I might as well come in and sadly crush the hopes of anyone who was interested in the SMT: Imagine relaunch.

I'm not surprised, but still disappointed. :sigh:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Oldstench posted:

I enjoyed it a lot. The music was much better than DS1 which was probably my single greatest gripe.

The difficulty was reasonably engaging. Mainly what I look for in games these days is that I don't want to sleep walk through a game. Megaten games typically punish you for stupid play and reward you for good play, and DS2 didn't really stray from that I felt. The bosses were varied enough too that I felt like changing tactics was useful, and I enjoyed that especially with the various demon skills.

As far as the story - yeah, it's typical Megaten bullshit which means it's also typical anime bullshit. I enjoyed parts of it, didn't care for others, and was never really insulted of it (people who refuse to play the game cause the tits are too big is a bit out there for me). Jungo and the cat are pretty fun. Joe and his whimsical attitude were fun too. Anri and Himako were fun at times, downright creepy at others. Etc.

Alteisen posted:

It actually really astounds me that you have this much trouble with the game. I feel like if there was a recount of what you were doing, you'd probably have a lot of people just going :psyduck: over the way you play the game. It sounds like you just fundamentally play it in a different way than others that results in a mess of frustration. This may or may not be the fault of the game, but it does make me wonder. I suppose that a lot of us having played DS1 means we knew which abilities from the previous installment were worth cracking at first sight (Dances, Drain, etc) and which demon skills were proven well.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 30, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Rascyc posted:

I enjoyed it a lot. The music was much better than DS1 which was probably my single greatest gripe.

Uh, I'm sorry, but I don't recall DS2 having any songs that rocked as hard as this. Therefore, you're wrong. :colbert:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, that's a good track. I guess the DS1 OST had a lot more lows than highs for me when I played.

DS1 Low: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSJNUugsq3A&feature=related

DS1 High: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjfo_AuGEFk&feature=relmfu

I wish I could take tracks from both and put them together.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Krad posted:

Uh, I'm sorry, but I don't recall DS2 having any songs that rocked as hard as this. Therefore, you're wrong. :colbert:

Although DS2 had no track that I liked more than Demon of Darkness, I have to say that on the whole its soundtrack was a lot better than DS1's.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Really? The only song I liked from DS2 was the one where you fight the main bosses. Meanwhile I have a good number of tracks from DS1 that I love.

Pinch Battle owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Man, Persona 2 really doesn't slow down once it starts getting crazy, does it? I think i might actually have to concede that the P2 games are a tiny bit better than P1. :ohdear:

Also, the second world map theme is great. :allears: I definitely need to buy the OST soon.