Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

WarLocke posted:

Mattock + scope = poor man's semi-auto sniper rifle. :zaeed:

Then again Mattock + scope + Adrenalin Rush = gently caress you, you're dead. Might not be quite as effective with classes that can't go slo-mo.

Its a fair point, but for now, I'm happy with the Vindicator. That doesn't mean I won't try out the mattock at some point; I did a Mattock-wielding [Engineer/Adept] (I forget which) in ME2 and that worked out okay.

On a different note... Man, everything about Tuchanka is so loving awsome. Mordin's redemption, curing the genophage, honoring Shepard's friendship with Wrex (as well as his trust on Virmire). Giant loving Maw taking down a Reaper, seeing hints of the Krogan's history... Stuff like that made ME3 everything I hoped it would be. The last 5 minutes notwithstanding. It bummed me out at the very end, but as evidenced by this new playthrough, it didn't kill the journey :3:

I love this game, and I am unrepentant :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

Elysiume posted:

Oh, so it doesn't really change that much if you do it before. Are there any effects for the longer term story if you do it before or after? If there's no actually story changes, I'll invite her up early on because quite honestly there's a chance I'll forget in the 20+ hours between LotSB and hitting the Omega 4.

Not that I'm aware of. There's a couple of LotSB references in ME3, but I don't remember seeing anything referencing Liara's visit, let alone when that visit took place.

WarLocke posted:

^^^: I'll keep that in mind. I'm on my first playthrough and at Priority: Sur'Kesh, so not sure where/when I'll get one of those. But my MO tends to be to pop out of cover with Rush going, scope in on some fools and pop-pop-pop take off their heads. :black101:

I think you get it on Sur'Kesh :v:

One possible downside to it is that its zoom is probably a bit stronger than the AR scope's so you might have bit more tunnel vision with it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Every time I start thinking all the callbacks are going to start feeling all fanwanky, another one pops up and :iia:.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Every time I start thinking all the callbacks are going to start feeling all fanwanky, another one pops up and :iia:.

I think the only callbacks that felt overdone to me are the four or so mentions of Garrus' calibrations.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

WarLocke posted:

While I acknowledge and accept the veracity of many of the arguments made against the ending of the game, with respect to story, lore, and so forth, for me that stuff was primarily a vehicle for the action - it was the various characters and my attachment to them that was the real draw[1]. So couched in those terms, a great deal of ME3 is 'Christmas come early'; I'm a big softy when it comes to the characters, and drat I love me the callbacks :3:

[1] And as such it was the game-ending failures in those areas that bummed me out in particular.

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 29, 2012

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Which one? There's around a half-dozen this could refer to. Although, having done the Academy, that counts one out. I like Jack being a teacher for troubled biotic kids. It's not exactly a giant leap, but I think that's why it works. It's completely in character, but just different enough from where she was in ME2 to be an initial surprise. It's basically a good twist, where you go "Ohhhh..." afterwards and feel like a retard for not getting it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

dwazegek posted:

I think the only callbacks that felt overdone to me are the four or so mentions of Garrus' calibrations.

If you didn't at least chuckle at Joker's "... and who knows, maybe we'll need something calibrated" you are a bad person. :colbert:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

dwazegek posted:

One possible downside to it is that its zoom is probably a bit stronger than the AR scope's so you might have bit more tunnel vision with it.

Actually, the Raptor has a really weak zoom for a sniper rifle. I think it's close to the AR scopes, heck, possibly even exactly the same.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WarLocke posted:

If you didn't at least chuckle at Joker's "... and who knows, maybe we'll need something calibrated" you are a bad person. :colbert:

There's a better one later.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Completely minor and unimportant, but I noticed the other night that all the monitors in Liara's room follow you.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Is there any real point to kicking Diane Allers of the ship? Aside from being annoyed by her, I mean.

It seems that you only stand to benefit from having her around as her reporting is the source of a number of war assets.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

Is there any real point to kicking Diane Allers of the ship? Aside from being annoyed by her, I mean.

It seems that you only stand to benefit from having her around as her reporting is the source of a number of war assets.

If it improves EMS, I can take the hit. But yeah, I haven't heard VO that insipid in a game since Sean Bean's portrayal of Martin Septim in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

magimix posted:

If it improves EMS, I can take the hit. But yeah, I haven't heard VO that insipid in a game since Sean Bean's portrayal of Martin Septim in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Her face is also all weird. Something about the fat cheeks.

I know this isn't the ending thread, but I'm 11k posts behind there and no way am I catching up on that. I want DLC that ends with Shepard seeing the star kid, then you hear a voice go "That is some stupid stuff, change the vid" and then the screen pans out to two guys sitting in the Citadel and they watch the last 5 minutes of Blasto 6, commenting on how much better the ending to that is and how the companny that made Mass Effect 3 must hate their fanbase.

See? It's meta. :byodood:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm a page late for the drone discussion, but was it just for me that having Tali summon one drone caused the other one to dispel?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm replaying ME2 and I'm wondering if Morinth's ability will be available to all files if I pick her over Samara for this playthrough.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm replaying ME2 and I'm wondering if Morinth's ability will be available to all files if I pick her over Samara for this playthrough.

I don't know if it kicks in retro-actively (ergo, if you elected to respec for already-started careers), but it'll certainly be available to all new careers created thereafter. Edit: I heard that it isn't retro-active, but someone else will have to confirm.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

WarLocke posted:

I think Victus had the best calibrations joke.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Finally finished it. It wasn't the end of the world but none of the endings were very satisfying. Going to replay the last few missions tomorrow to get the "best" ending.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

WarLocke posted:

Haha, I was thinking an ammo power for bonus, but if you can get ANOTHER drone power, then the light is green for PetShep. :3:

This is my engineershep, as soon as combat starts I spam attack drone, turret, defense drone, then start shooting asploding things. I am looking forward to Tali when we will have another turret and drone to add to our party.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Finally finished it. It wasn't the end of the world but none of the endings were very satisfying. Going to replay the last few missions tomorrow to get the "best" ending.

Just let it simmer for a while. You'll get to rage soon enough.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Geostomp posted:

Just let it simmer for a while. You'll get to rage soon enough.

Yeah. You'll go from :stare: to :negative: to :smith: to :doh: and finally to :suicide: soon enough.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Burning Mustache posted:

Yeah. You'll go from :stare: to :negative: to :smith: to :doh: and finally to :suicide: soon enough.

Mine was more like :saddowns: to :arghfist::saddowns: to :geno:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

magimix posted:

I love this game, and I am unrepentant :argh:

Agreed completely and utterly. I think the game itself is the ending, anyway - I had rage for a while, but now I really quite like it....

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

lenoon posted:

Agreed completely and utterly. I think the game itself is the ending, anyway - I had rage for a while, but now I really quite like it....

The game itself is excellent. It still has a few flaws here and there, but for the most part it's pretty much what I was hoping for and then some, and certainly more than I was realistically expecting.
Among all the fuss about the ending, this is gets drowned out a lot.
That said, the ending is so ... 'off' that it's not really a surprise it taints the whole trilogy a bit for most people.
The journey to the end of the trilogy is awesome, it's just sad that it ends the way it does.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The only bit that really bothered me about the ending was the cut scene after you make the choice - that could (should!) have been done better. But the whining about a "lack of resolution" isn't a problem to me - why would I want resolution when now I can work out what happens myself? It's like demanding that books come with a pull-out epilogue where all your favourite characters end up marrying their childhood sweethearts.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

lenoon posted:

The only bit that really bothered me about the ending was the cut scene after you make the choice - that could (should!) have been done better. But the whining about a "lack of resolution" isn't a problem to me - why would I want resolution when now I can work out what happens myself? It's like demanding that books come with a pull-out epilogue where all your favourite characters end up marrying their childhood sweethearts.

Because what we've "worked out for ourselves" (which has been confirmed by a codex writer) is that the entire galaxy will suffer a dark age from which they may never recover and every character you know has probably starved to death despite any pretty glowy bits they may have. All because the Star Child decrees it be so.

That's not thought-provoking, that's just lazy writing forcing an ending hardly better than letting the Reapers win.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

That's what you worked out. Fair enough. I'm not saying it's a great ending, or that it's the bets possible way to end the game. All I'm saying is that I liked it.

And remember what Javik says - destroying the reapers ensures the survival of organics beyond this cycle.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

lenoon posted:

That's also how I feel and the ending doesn't offend me as much as it does some of the others.

Although what I don't get is, back in the early ME2 threads, people were already speculating that it would take nothing short of a dead Shep and a destroyed relays/citadel to end the Reaper threat, with maybe an ultra-renegade control the reapers option. Most people also speculated that you might have to choose to either have the earth destroyed, but most other species intact or sacrifice a species or two to save the earth or maybe only harm everyone slightly (but not to extinction) if you made the 'correct' choices.

We got nearly just that. I'm guessing The Reaper Kid as a vehicle to achieve all that, along with the ridiculuous reaper origin reveal, was so unpalatable to most that what was excitedly discussed a year ago, became the growing poo poo snow-ball it is now.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 30, 2012

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.
Just finished it last night, and I'm not too broken up by the ending - I mean, I'm disappointed by the one I got, but I know there are better iterations to shoot for on subsequent playthroughs. I thought the very last bit before the credits was confusing and I wouldn't mind seeing the other characters' outcomes fleshed out more.

Of course, I'm also totally on board with the Indoctrination Theory, so there's that. Even if that's not what they had in mind, I think they should just run with it, because it's awesome. I also sort of subscribe to the "the game is the ending" perspective, so maybe just some more detail and clarification and I'm good. Throw some more cutscenes at me, Bioware. Like Wrex standing on a pile of dead Brutes, or Vega leading a charge all Rico-in-Starship-Troopers style. Some heroics to balance out what we already get.

No, the endings weren't what sent me into a rage. What sent me into a rage, what I really want Bioware to fix, is the control for the loving cover system.

Press A to...

* Run
* Stick to cover
* Shift to a different side of cover
* Combat roll from cover to cover
* Combat roll out of cover
* Combat roll on open ground

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea, especially when what constitutes as cover is so much more varied than it was in ME2? It's the one thing that kept taking me out of the game for a few seconds during combat, and during the endgame, when you have to take on that fuckton of Brutes, Banshees, and Marauders right before you launch the missiles, I kept trying to make mad dashes for the objective, only to stick to random pieces of cover or combat roll when I wanted to run or make me vault over cover when I wanted to duck, and at one point, I reached the objective and before I could activate it, I stuck to a nearby wall instead and BAM! Banshee instakill. Honestly, it's the closest I've come to ragequitting a game since Grand Theft Auto 3.

But man, the rest of the game delivered. On Sanctuary, when I told Miranda's father that if he let the hostage go, I'd let him live, and then gunned him down in cold blood? Easily one of the best moments I've ever had playing an RPG, and that was just one of many.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Craig Spradlin posted:

Press A to...

* Shift to a different side of cover

That isn't done with the 'A' button and the rest are pretty par for the course for third person shooters. The rest of those functions works pretty much fine so long as you understand the basics of the situational requirements for them.

The real issue is with reviving people near objectives in multiplayer.

Oh and by the way, I hate to break it to you but there aren't 'better iterations' of the endings to shoot for, sorry.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Dan Didio posted:

That isn't done with the 'A' button and the rest are pretty par for the course for third person shooters. The rest of those functions works pretty much fine so long as you understand the basics of the situational requirements for them.

No, not really. They established the basic mechanics in ME2, and I understood them just fine. I played ME2 multiple times with no unusual difficulty in combat. I found myself wrestling the controls way more in 3 than I did in 2. And although I appreciate the amount and variety of cover in 3, one of the side effects is that contextual controls become much more finicky based on your position. And in combat - especially the late-stage battles - that is a problem.

quote:

Oh and by the way, I hate to break it to you but there aren't 'better iterations' of the endings to shoot for, sorry.

No, I know what all the ending iterations are, I know which one I got, and I know there are ones that are possible and that I would have preferred to the one I got. I found the level of detail in the endings disappointing, but not the nature of the endings themselves. Sorry.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Craig Spradlin posted:

No, not really. They established the basic mechanics in ME2, and I understood them just fine. I played ME2 multiple times with no unusual difficulty in combat.

The basic mechanics may not have changed (well, they have, with the addition of the roll) but their implementation has, Mass Effect 3's cover system is far closer to Gears of War than it is to Mass Effect 2 so it's no wonder you've had trouble with it. I didn't have any, but I've played a wealth of straight up third person shooters and by the mid-way point of Mass Effect 3 was easily comfortable with the range of motions, and the range at which context sensitive cover actions would become available. I don't think I ever found myself sticking to cover I didn't want to after the Academy side-mission and I never found myself misusing the roll as soon as I got to Tuchanka.

It's a pretty simple, well known system to third person shooters and it's plenty intuitive if you've played a lot of them.

Craig Spradlin posted:

No, I know what all the ending iterations are, I know which one I got, and I know there are ones that are possible and that I would have preferred to the one I got. I found the level of detail in the endings disappointing, but not the nature of the endings themselves. Sorry.

You don't have to apologize, I'm just saying, I've seen plenty of people come in here with the same sentiment and return disappointed when they actually see all the endings.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
Ending stuff

I asked in the other thread but it got buried due to the other topics going on. I'm wondering if anyone has picked the Destroy ending, paragon as all hell, high assets, and purposely let the Geth die earlier on. Does the Star Child have different dialog in that case? Been kicking the idea of doing another run to see just that but I'm lazy.

Cleatcleat fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 30, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

This isn't a spoiler thread, so you might want to spoiler that, Cleatcleat!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

My new favourite thing in the entire series is pulling the Renegade interrupt on the dying Reaper and getting it carpet-bombed. That loving owns.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Two Finger posted:

My new favourite thing in the entire series is pulling the Renegade interrupt on the dying Reaper and getting it carpet-bombed. That loving owns.

How do you pull that off? I never got the prompt for that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

When you have the option to talk to it you have to choose the bottom-right option, then the interrupt comes up when it's going on about order and chaos and Shepard's just like 'hard luck bro' and wastes it. It is one of the best interrupts, I think.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
drat, all my Rannoch saves have been overwritten. Next time!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey guys, so now that I am close to finishing my NG+ with a vanguard, I am considering trying a Soldier because I never managed to finish a playthrough in ME2 with that class and I am also looking to revive the glory days of ME1 tanking against thresher maws :3:

So, my question is, has anyone tried a "tanky" build for a soldier in ME3? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

magimix posted:

Yeah, the fight hammered me quite hard - probably the first fight I encountered in the full game that I regarded as actually tough. It was the fight that really emphasised that no, you can't just carry over your familiar ME2 tactics with no modification.

Please tell me that, when writing your post, you were also having a competition with someone as to who could exaggerate the most :psyduck:

I played insanity as an adept. I only had a locust at that point in the game. poo poo took forever to die.

Shadowbroker was stupid because I rushed into it as soon as possible and the fight turned into 15 minutes of kiting him around the back area of the room using singularity to make him stumble --> warp then finally a few seconds of shooting before I had to set it up again. More than a few seconds out of cover and he'd kill me as well.

It just got really boring when his shield came out and in retrospect I probably did it all wrong but it took forever and mechanically was the worst fight in me2 for me to play on my adept.

None of this poo poo was hard - it was just slow, frustrating and boring. Kiting the praetorians around in circles is anti-fun.

I had a lot more fun fighting banshees, that 3 geth prime fight and the wave of brutes during the reaper/tuchanka fight than I did through most of me2

• Locked thread