Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Soothing Vapors posted:

worst state, seriously

you CAN use a typewriter to take the bar if you want, but a friend who went that way said the noise in the typewriter room was horrible. plus it's a loving typewriter
Indiana was the same way when I took the bar. They asked everyone if we would use a laptop if give the option. I can't imagine the sadists that wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Soothing Vapors posted:

no need to give up your life entirely until late June/early July, and probably not even then. you'll study way more than you need to, but that's just how it is.

Treat the Bar like a job. 6-8 hours a day. No more then that. Have a schedule and a plan well in advance, and stick to it. If you do BarBri then this schedule is already made for you. If you go loving nuts in July then you run the risk of burning out and blanking at the actual test. Marathon, not sprint.

Part of the bar is retention of a large body of facts. But just as much, if not more, is your ability to master a system of writing, analysis, and test-taking. A surprising number of people neglect this part. Make sure to spend time practicing your writing and, in particular, going over past essay answers to see how other people do it. It's impossible to say which topics will be tested, but your ability to organize an answer will be tested on every essay you write. So don't neglect it.

Most people pass the bar. The average law student passes the bar. If you're at least average, and you study an average amount, then you should pass. Given all that, if you don't pass, it's probably because you hosed up or neglected some fundamental step like learning how to use IRAC or outlining before you write.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

God drat my examiner interviews are always so awkward. It's literally two aspies trying to converse like normal human beings for half an hour and failing badly.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Soothing Vapors posted:

you CAN use a typewriter to take the bar if you want, but a friend who went that way said the noise in the typewriter room was horrible. plus it's a loving typewriter

The noise walking PAST the typewriter room was horrible; inside has to be something worse.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Writing it out by hand is the proper method. Great exercise, too.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Alaemon posted:

The noise walking PAST the typewriter room was horrible; inside has to be something worse.

I found it p hilarious to see all the people lugging these antiques around, plus you had to provide all your own ribbons, correcting fluid, etc and if there was a problem you were basically screwed. Not worth it imho, its basically one day of hand-cramping but you get through it.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If the claim is voluntarily sold by one party to another for a bargained settlement, great.

If the claim is forcibly sold at auction, against the claimant's will and where the claimant has no reasonable financial ability to bid on it, that's loving bullshit.

See the difference?

Edit: we obviously don't have enough facts about the true value of the claim do this discussion is sort of dumb

Yeah that's what I was trying to say, basically. I mean I didn't have all the facts but the fact that the LLC owner and the surety tried to intervene back into the case after being subbed out for the receiver in order to prevent the sale and were denied the opportunity kind of upped the appearance of bullshit to me.

J Miracle fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 27, 2012

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Truth. other than losing my poo poo in July and the general nagging feeling of foreboding, I actually had a blast my bar summer in May/June

enjoy it, it's probably the last time you will ever feel joy :thumbsup:. or anything at all

Yeah, my bar study summer was nice too. 4-5 hours each day, do some Anki, all is well. I never really increased my study time, and I'm sure no one really needs to, but that just depends on the way you deal with impending exams.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ani posted:

At my firm, we don't send people to the Beijing or Hong Kong offices unless they are native (or equivalently fluent) speakers of Mandarin. If you are a Mandarin speaker and you get a job with a firm with a HK office I imagine it would be fairly easy to get sent over there. Similarly, if you are qualified to get a job at a firm in New York, I don't think it would be harder to get that same job directly at the Hong Kong office. One thing to keep in mind about practicing in Asia though - they work really really hard.

Missed this, but yes. I thought it went without saying that the OP would need to be fluent in Mandarin for placement there, but I'm repeating the rest of your post because I think it's spot on and the OP really needs to hear it.

That said, Ani, you were at Harvard if I remember correctly, and unless he's fortunate enough to end up at America's #3 law school, I think he'll probably have to both hustle and get lucky for access to the firms you and I are talking about.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 27, 2012

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Ah gently caress me I had a typo on my state application. Hopefully it won't matter too much if I got to the second interview point anyway, but I would bet anything it sinks me. :suicide:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gret posted:

F&W?

no

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gret posted:

God drat my examiner interviews are always so awkward. It's literally two aspies trying to converse like normal human beings for half an hour and failing badly.

#1 reason I want a new job

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

worst state, seriously

Yeah, my dad took the MI bar (probably the on UM student who stayed in MI) way back in the day (the early 70s?) and chose pen for that reason. Also, he thought his bad handwriting might get him the benefit of the doubt.
I'll let him know nothing has changed in 35 years. That should amuse him.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Shouldn't there be some sort of eugenics program in place to prevent the tragedy of multi-generational lawyer families?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
three generations of imbeciles, &c.

qiubert
Oct 21, 2010
a year and a half ago, when I was a freshman with no clue what to do with my life, I stumbled upon this thread and promptly changed my major from pre-law to math and statistics. Thank you Linguica.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

qiubert posted:

a year and a half ago, when I was a freshman with no clue what to do with my life, I stumbled upon this thread and promptly changed my major from pre-law to math and statistics. Thank you Linguica.
Yessss my life has had purpose

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

qiubert posted:

I majored in math and ended up a lawyer anyway. Stay strong.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ersatz posted:

I majored in math and ended up a lawyer anyway. Stay strong.

Math law attorneys are the worst. They never ever file complaints, they just figure out the necessary and sufficient elements of their client's claim and then assume that they won.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

qiubert posted:

It's all worth it folks

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Yeah, my bar study summer was nice too. 4-5 hours each day, do some Anki, all is well. I never really increased my study time, and I'm sure no one really needs to, but that just depends on the way you deal with impending exams.

Yeah. in retrospect I wish I had chilled the gently caress out and not tortured myself for no reason at all in July

but I guess I'd rather be sitting here saying "gosh I sure was dumb to work that hard" than "gosh I failed the bar and then hung myself from the ceiling fan with my mother's underwear"

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How little do you weigh that either of those could support you?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

diospadre posted:

How little do you weigh that either of those could support you?

Clearly you haven't met his mother.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Soothing Vapors posted:

pls run one of these in the fall when real sports return, tia

But I did. :smith:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

entris posted:

Clearly you haven't met his mother.
hey now :mad:

tau posted:

But I did. :smith:
DO IT AGAIN

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phil Moscowitz posted:

three generations of imbeciles, &c.

I know a guy who went to law school assuming he could work at his father's and his uncle's law firm. Turns out they didn't have room for him. His own family rejected him from a job.

Then he failed the bar like five times. He still hasn't passed it. Now he lays asphalt.

He's had a rough life.

What I'm trying to say is that a lawyer who has lawyer parents is probably a knob (except for nm).

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Who hear knows anything about BigLaw drug testing incoming associates? I have a buddy who is wigging out about it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

sigmachiev posted:

Who hear knows anything about BigLaw drug testing incoming associates? I have a buddy who is wigging out about it.
You can tell your "buddy" that I have never heard of a firm administering drug tests to new associates, I am sure your "buddy" will be glad to hear it

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Linguica posted:

You can tell your "buddy" that I have never heard of a firm administering drug tests to new associates, I am sure your "buddy" will be glad to hear it

See that was my reaction too, but he's adamant that someone in his office is getting tested. It struck me as weird so I figured I'd ask.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

sigmachiev posted:

See that was my reaction too, but he's adamant that someone in his office is getting tested. It struck me as weird so I figured I'd ask.

It might be a requirement for his license. There's a local lawyer here who had a notorious drug problem and lost his license for a while, and now he has to take a piss test every month to keep it.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I hired a part time clerk to help with my practice this week. It's the most amazing thing in the world to be able to hand something off to him. Its like I found extra hours every day.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Linguica posted:

Some firms do it. If you do any work for certain federal agencies or state governments, you're required to drug test employees.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

J Miracle posted:

I found it p hilarious to see all the people lugging these antiques around, plus you had to provide all your own ribbons, correcting fluid, etc and if there was a problem you were basically screwed. Not worth it imho, its basically one day of hand-cramping but you get through it.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say, basically. I mean I didn't have all the facts but the fact that the LLC owner and the surety tried to intervene back into the case after being subbed out for the receiver in order to prevent the sale and were denied the opportunity kind of upped the appearance of bullshit to me.

Bullshit seems like an understatement to me - unless there is a serious disconnect between the law in Canadia and the U.S., the Receiver should have a fiduciary duty to all parties to maximize the return on a sale of assets. Actively avoiding the chance to take a better offer is not exactly consistent with that role or that duty.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
You know what I hate about moot trials? It's that opposing counsel will object to the dumbest poo poo ever. Just because the response will be a "yes or no" does not mean it's leading, especially when it's not contentious.

Me: So just going back to what you had told the court earlier, you had left the room at 11:50?
Opposing Counsel: Objection, leading.
Justice: I don't see it.
OC: It can only be answered with a "yes" or "no".
Justice: It's not contentious. Moving on.

Yes, I could have phrased it a little better, but really? It was just entered into evidence 3 minutes ago.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Can anyone explain wtf this is: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/specialconsolidation.jsp

as opposed to just the regular consolidation that has been going on for the past few years? Does "commercially-held" imply private loans?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Roger_Mudd posted:

I hired a part time clerk to help with my practice this week. It's the most amazing thing in the world to be able to hand something off to him. Its like I found extra hours every day.

What about the agency costs of monitoring him and then checking his work to make sure he doesn't mess up? Oftentimes I find it's faster to do small projects myself than to supervise someone else doing them.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Draile posted:

What about the agency costs of monitoring him and then checking his work to make sure he doesn't mess up? Oftentimes I find it's faster to do small projects myself than to supervise someone else doing them.

I'm not doing too much high level stuff and I nit pick (I charge a flat fee).

I'm not implying you nit pick.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
So jealous of people taking the bar in the summer. My advice- buy last years barbri books, do not open them til june, read four hours a day in june, six a day in july, do nothing but study last two weeks. Success!

Ideally you want to get to the point where i can say "secured transactions" and you can cover a page of notebook paper in arcane bullshit

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Penguins Like Pies posted:

You know what I hate about moot trials? It's that opposing counsel will object to the dumbest poo poo ever. Just because the response will be a "yes or no" does not mean it's leading, especially when it's not contentious.

Me: So just going back to what you had told the court earlier, you had left the room at 11:50?
Opposing Counsel: Objection, leading.
Justice: I don't see it.
OC: It can only be answered with a "yes" or "no".
Justice: It's not contentious. Moving on.

Yes, I could have phrased it a little better, but really? It was just entered into evidence 3 minutes ago.

Your question was leading because it suggested the answer, not because it can only be answered with a yes or no. Otherwise, "did you kill your wife?" would be considered a leading question. That said, unless there was some dispute when the witness left the room opposing counsel was dumb for objecting.

In the real world, if you're throwing up bullshit objections like that it's because you're either losing the case or an anal retentive prick. Judges (and juries) tend to take a pretty dim view of both.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
prosecutors/pds: who fills out the sentencing orders/fine sheets in your courthouse? Do the clerks do it? In my current courthouse, the court has the prosecution do a lot of the sentencing paperwork, and it inspired me to do some research. Turns out my suspicions were right, and by statute the clerks are required to write them out on pain of a petty fine or class A misdemeanour.

Also, how likely is world war 3 to break out if I refuse to do any paperwork in court, and cite the statute which indicates the clerks have to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Agesilaus posted:

prosecutors/pds: who fills out the sentencing orders/fine sheets in your courthouse? Do the clerks do it? In my current courthouse, the court has the prosecution do a lot of the sentencing paperwork, and it inspired me to do some research. Turns out my suspicions were right, and by statute the clerks are required to write them out on pain of a petty fine or class A misdemeanour.

Also, how likely is world war 3 to break out if I refuse to do any paperwork in court, and cite the statute which indicates the clerks have to do it?

In my court you would be filling out a lot fewer sentencing orders as the judges would rule against you at every opportunity for upsetting the apple cart.