Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
What's app compatibility like on the kindle fire assuming I root and side load Google play? Will I be able to play most if not all of my purchases?

Edit: will I even need to root to use Play? I've used the fire exactly one time a month ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Rastor posted:

So 80,000 per 2 months = about half a million for the year. Not great but better than the numbers that were rumored for the Xoom.

Name me one piece of technology that sells equally well 2 months after it comes out versus a year after it comes out.

Besides Apple products. :v:

I mean, I'm really hoping your post was purposefully disingenuous because no adult can possibly think sales work that way.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nickhimself posted:

What's app compatibility like on the kindle fire assuming I root and side load Google play? Will I be able to play most if not all of my purchases?

Most applications that would work on an older phone running 2.2 (even though the Fire runs a version of 2.3, it's not got all the features) will work on a Fire.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Good enough. I really want to use it as a reader but I know myself. I'll be playing stupid games more than reading.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nickhimself posted:

Good enough. I really want to use it as a reader but I know myself. I'll be playing stupid games more than reading.

Oh, and, any application that requires camera, microphone, GPS or cell service, doesn't work for the obvious reason that the device doesn't have those.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
Any recommended ROMs/kernels for the original Xoom (4G upgraded Verizon)?

I'll be unlocking/rooting my Xoom tomorrow, looking for a ROM that balances features with speed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nickhimself posted:

Why don't you just get a regular Kindle then? It's far better as a reader and you won't be distracted.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

NiVRaM88 posted:

Any recommended ROMs/kernels for the original Xoom (4G upgraded Verizon)?

I'll be unlocking/rooting my Xoom tomorrow, looking for a ROM that balances features with speed.

I have had great experiences w/ Team Eos's stuff. I flashed a nightly several months back that only had an issue flagging each typed word with a squiggle as it was missing a dictionary. Otherwise it is solid as a rock, so solid I never bothered to update after that issue was long fixed. Integrated OC options too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Apparently Asus' big announcement for the 29th is going to be... Ethernet Support

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Speaking of ROMS, I was looking into getting ICS on my a500 early, has anyone tried the Icylicious ROM by ATGAdmin on it? Installation seems simple, and it's rooted to boot.

EDIT: To answer my own question, works great so far!

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 29, 2012

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Apparently Asus' big announcement for the 29th is going to be... Ethernet Support

C'mon now, there's a bit more than that.

"Users will also be able to control notifications, such as unread messages, directly from the lockscreen, presumably jumping straight into the relevant app and bypassing the homescreen. There’ll be Face Unlock support too."

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Holy poo poo, $139.99 Kindle Fire refurbs

EDIT: Shipped free!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Holy poo poo, $139.99 Kindle Fire refurbs

EDIT: Shipped free!

Yeah just picked one up. Will return the Nook I just got from ebay's daily deals as I am far too invested in Amazons ecosystem. This will be great for accessing free Prime movie/TV content!

Edit: be sure to pick up the leather Marware case from warehouse deals for $9.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 29, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
WSJ reports that Google will open a web store to sell tablets later this year

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

According to the WSJ, Google will sell tablets in its own online store this year

Apparently, they're not making the tablets, but leaving that up to their partners Samsung and ASUS at the moment (no Motorola?).

Maybe this is where they'll sell the Nexus tablet...or maybe Samsung will make it instead.

Or maybe they scrapped the whole "Nexus Tablet" idea and decided to make an online store again.

After the whole "Google Play is the name of the Nexus tablet!!!" thing, I'd say any of this could happen.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 29, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, they're not making the tablets, but leaving that up to their partners Samsung and ASUS at the moment (no Motorola?).

That line doesn't mean much since technically they've never "made" any of their own reference devices. No Motorola isn't surprising since they don't own them yet, because doing so would scare away other OEMs and since technically they've already got the US Motorola Xoom 1 as a reference tablet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

That line doesn't mean much since technically they've never "made" any of their own reference devices. No Motorola isn't surprising since they don't own them yet, because doing so would scare away other OEMs and since technically they've already got the US Motorola Xoom 1 as a reference tablet.

Yeah, I'd never expect Google to make something themselves. It makes sense about Motorola, but I'm still hoping they get the next Nexus phone or something.

I wonder if they'll integrate this store into the Google Play Store..thing.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ThermoPhysical posted:

According to the WSJ, Google will sell tablets in its own online store this year

Maybe this is where they'll sell the Nexus tablet...or maybe Samsung will make it instead

It's not saying much, but Samsung at least seems to have better build quality (Or at least QA, hardware wise) than Asus when it comes to tablets. The only hiccup I think Samsung ever had was that update that broke Wifi. Asus, on the other hand, had wifi issues, GPS issues, reboots, and the list goes on.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Samsung has gotten much better about hardware over the last few years, that's for sure.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kazy posted:

It's not saying much, but Samsung at least seems to have better build quality (Or at least QA, hardware wise) than Asus when it comes to tablets. The only hiccup I think Samsung ever had was that update that broke Wifi. Asus, on the other hand, had wifi issues, GPS issues, reboots, and the list goes on.

It's hard to explain how a new tablet would come straight from the factory with the back light not working. ASUS themselves had no explanation of how I had received it like that. So far, it's taken them over a month to get me a correctly functioning tablet.

I don't know why it just seems like a lot of companies are skimping on Q&A as well as QoS/QC measures. I know of a game that is having this issue right now in it's current beta stages(Tribes: Ascend). For example, they recently released new content for the game. Sadly, there was no Q&A or testing done in-house or pre-release and the content they released was horribly unbalanced.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

nickhimself posted:

Samsung has gotten much better about hardware over the last few years, that's for sure.

Well they have had a lot of practice releasing new hardware.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 30, 2012

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

True story. I'm excited for the note tablet, if it runs Tegra 3 I'm buying the hell out of it.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Well the display in my Transformer Prime has started malfunctioning and I'm outside the bestbuy exchange period. Am I going to wish I never bought this thing trying to deal with Asus support?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SeaWolf posted:

Well the display in my Transformer Prime has started malfunctioning and I'm outside the bestbuy exchange period. Am I going to wish I never bought this thing trying to deal with Asus support?

Quite possibly. Make sure you take pictures of the item as you package it next to the days newspaper or some poo poo.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Take it to the Asus store

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kazy posted:

IThe only hiccup I think Samsung ever had was that update that broke Wifi.

That's a hiccup?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Galaxy Tab 10.1 has the "oil slick" screen issue quite a bit.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Ok so I'm playing with a ZTE Optik tablet on Sprint. Sprint is selling them for 99 cents to business users as an end of quarter deal, with a $20 per month for 1Gb data plan. It's a pretty tiny, thin 7 inch tablet but Swype is even buggier than it is on the Galaxy Tab.

I don't know what's going on with Swype on Honeycomb but it sure makes me want to slash my wrists. It's slow, it's slightly unstable, and it's putting spaces where I don't want them and doing the whole "Overwrite the last two characters" thing in the browser.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

El_Matarife posted:

Ok so I'm playing with a ZTE Optik tablet on Sprint. Sprint is selling them for 99 cents to business users as an end of quarter deal, with a $20 per month for 1Gb data plan. It's a pretty tiny, thin 7 inch tablet but Swype is even buggier than it is on the Galaxy Tab.

I don't know what's going on with Swype on Honeycomb but it sure makes me want to slash my wrists. It's slow, it's slightly unstable, and it's putting spaces where I don't want them and doing the whole "Overwrite the last two characters" thing in the browser.

What's a "business user"? I have a business license, does that count?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

SeaWolf posted:

If bestbuy still works like they did when I worked there still take it there. They will have one of the geeksquad dudes check it out to verify that it is broken then based off of the warranty info in the computer either exchange it and handle the RMA or send it to a service center for you (where the SC will say that that they can't fix it and tell you to come into the store for an exchange)

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Kynetx posted:

Do you have a Sprint business sales rep, or are you a member of the Jack Miller Buying Program? I think that's how it is classified.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

eric posted:

That's a hiccup?

At least that's fixable over a quick patch. Compared to the Samsung of what, 2 years ago, that's amazing.

It seems like with the increased demand of tablets some companies are really proving what they're capable of while others with previously middling to positive reputations are really dropping the ball hardcore. Samsung's trying to be an Apple clone while slowly becoming better and better, ASUS and Acer are showing they CAN make a good product but have horrible to non-existing QA, and Apple seems to have decided to sit a round out on the idea theft and amazing innovations to let other people play catch up.

Through my horrible ability to be patient once I really want something I picked up a galaxy tab 10.1. My entire plan right now is to keep this thing picture perfect until the note tab is released then sell it for a little less than I paid for it brand new. I'll use that money to buy a note tab and be happy as can be with a tablet that can truly replace notebooks in class for me. Though I'll still have to carry a regular notebook around with me for random in-class assignments I'll be able to do much of my work digitally and have backup in case I lose a printout or something.

edit: I wanted a kindle fire to read books on but convinced myself to get a larger screen which I know I'd prefer in the long run. So far, I HAVE read some of a book on it so I'm sticking to my original plan of "get this to be more mentally productive"

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
ICS 4.0.4 just got pushed to my Xoom. Not seeing any differences-is there anything I should look for? I suppose it's a good sign, since there are zero significant issues I have now with this tablet and I'm no longer waiting for Android to get its poo poo together.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nickhimself posted:

Apple seems to have decided to sit a round out on the idea theft and amazing innovations to let other people play catch up.
What does this mean?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

TildeATH posted:

ICS 4.0.4 just got pushed to my Xoom. Not seeing any differences-is there anything I should look for? I suppose it's a good sign, since there are zero significant issues I have now with this tablet and I'm no longer waiting for Android to get its poo poo together.

Just speed, stability and battery life improvements.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 30, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

If you sign up under your tax ID sure.

El_Matarife posted:

Eh, obviously $0.99 is nice and all, but $240 over 2 years for 1GB of Sprnt 3G a month isn't horrible, but not the best idea.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

randyest posted:

What does this mean?

I'm not going to discuss it here to avoid seeming like a troll or causing a huge problem with peoples OS of choice. I'd voice my opinion over PM but that's about it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nickhimself posted:

I'm not going to discuss it here to avoid seeming like a troll or causing a huge problem with peoples OS of choice. I'd voice my opinion over PM but that's about it.
Oh that's OK then; I was curious about what you meant but if you can't explain it without trolling just forget about it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

randyest posted:

What does this mean?

"There is nothing new under the sun"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

randyest posted:

What does this mean?

Singling any one manufacture out on this is unfair but basically everyone is stealing everyone elses ideas & suing everyone for it. The root of this is the patent system is not well matched to real life.