Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Urban Sorcerer posted:

Enchanters are the goddamn kings of everquest and you should all make enchanters.

I love my enchanter. They are loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Kithyen posted:

Don't remember any of my info from my 65 enchanter although if I decide to stay in it for a few months I may try and get him back. Didn't Veeshan get merged with Luclin? If so, he's already on the server.

One more question on character transfer. From what I've read you transfer with all coin/items correct? I ask because I'm pretty sure the last time I transferred a character to a different server it was back when they first introduced this and it was like 75 dollars and you were stripped of everything or something ridiculous like that.

Unless you're transferring from a special rules server (like FV), it takes about 2 minutes and you get to keep everything.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
General question about powerlevelling:

I know that the character you're going to be powerlevelling has to be at least 60 to gain experience from group kills made by higher level chars, but is there a sweet spot of certain leveled mobs for this? In other words if I kill stuff that's green or grey to the higher leveled characters but dark blue/white to the person being PL'd does that net more experience for them because of the fast kill rate? Or is it better to kill things that definitely give the power leveling characters experience and let the lower person leech that way?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I forgot to mention I was Bst about the h2h thing. Also I forgot my offense is low as well. everything else is levelling fine [dodge, riposte] but it just feels like i'm getting no h2h or offense skills on blues.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

widds2v posted:

When do Rangers pick up in power? Right now it seems like I kill stuff faster if I nuke it rather than using my bow. Generally shots are ~11 dmg each at lvl 23 while spells are hitting for 50-60+. I know Headshot eventually will turn me into a grinding machine of sorts but it seems underpowered as of now.

Unless you are 100% specifically headshotting poo poo, ranger dps is all in your melee +nukes. Bow dps blows assholes if you aren't headshotting.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

widds2v posted:

When do Rangers pick up in power? Right now it seems like I kill stuff faster if I nuke it rather than using my bow. Generally shots are ~11 dmg each at lvl 23 while spells are hitting for 50-60+. I know Headshot eventually will turn me into a grinding machine of sorts but it seems underpowered as of now.

I leveled a ranger clear to 78 before I found out Rangers are now 100% melee characters except when headshotting or burning a couple different discs. Go beat on things in their faces, basically.

Edit - oh look a new page

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

widds2v posted:

Most of the spells/abilities Rangers are famous for nowadays don't really start to appear or become powerful until the 70s and 80s really. Also there is the issue of most classes with great utility, you basically have a large AA investment to flesh out all that utility.

As already noted, Rangers get way more from melee than actually ranged attacking, except for the specific circumstances of headshotting and also when using the Trueshot discipline line for a burn.

widds2v
Aug 23, 2004
Sorry, I'm socially retarded.
Yeah after looking at some of the AAs it's noticeable that there are more melee related AAs the later in expansions you get than bow based ones. I've changed up my playstyle a bit and things are dying faster.

Non-casters seem to get kinda screwed though with this super fast leveling. It's impossible to keep an up-to-date weapon if you don't have a high level main to supply yourself with twink plat for the bazaar... was using my sword still from the tutorial at 27 until I gave in and bought one (probably overpriced) from a regular merchant. Caster spells at least are easy to obtain lower levels.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

widds2v posted:

Yeah after looking at some of the AAs it's noticeable that there are more melee related AAs the later in expansions you get than bow based ones. I've changed up my playstyle a bit and things are dying faster.

Non-casters seem to get kinda screwed though with this super fast leveling. It's impossible to keep an up-to-date weapon if you don't have a high level main to supply yourself with twink plat for the bazaar... was using my sword still from the tutorial at 27 until I gave in and bought one (probably overpriced) from a regular merchant. Caster spells at least are easy to obtain lower levels.
You're way off, I think I had defiant weapons throughout almost all of my levels. You need to shop in advance of what you're going to need and hunt good deals on the Bazaar (they certainly exist). Also, try sending tells at multiple points to traders there as not all of them are AFKbots. I caught one guy and snagged several defiant pieces for less than 2k (level 59 gear, mind you, including chest).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

widds2v posted:

Yeah, gonna agree with gep/Dak. If you're finding stuff very expensive on the Baz, then don't buy it. There might be something better than defiant, but I wouldn't bother trying to dig for it (until you're actually past defiant level). And if they only defiant stuff you see is expensive, just check back in later. Definitely scout the top two tiers (elaborate and elegant) anytime you're in game.

The only "expensive" defiant stuff I bought were my legs / chest, a couple of thousand pp each (at both elaborate and elegant). It took a bit to find them at the right price, admittedly. Weapons I found for dirt cheap.

Now if you're thinking that 1kpp is a lot of pp, then I'd say switch where you're hunting. The Hole, as mentioned a billion times, is great money. And before 60 (when elaborate defiant gear starts), gear isn't super important and will be outdated quickly. If it's not cheap, then gently caress it, and do some more molo grinding.

Also, if you're in the goon guild, check the guildbank, tons of defiant poo poo there for free.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Creative Bicycle posted:

General question about powerlevelling:

I know that the character you're going to be powerlevelling has to be at least 60 to gain experience from group kills made by higher level chars, but is there a sweet spot of certain leveled mobs for this? In other words if I kill stuff that's green or grey to the higher leveled characters but dark blue/white to the person being PL'd does that net more experience for them because of the fast kill rate? Or is it better to kill things that definitely give the power leveling characters experience and let the lower person leech that way?

Your first assumption with lvl 60 being the cut-off is not quite right; there's a formula:

lvl / 2 + 1 + lvl (the division is rounded down)

"lvl" = twink's level. That gives you the highest level a power leveller can be for the twink to still get xp when grouped. So, a lvl 95 can plvl from 63 and up, and a lvl 80 can plvl from 53 and up, for example.

The XP the twink gains will be exactly as if he had killed the mob with any group, the twink getting half xp if grouped in two, for example. The xp share the high level gets will either go into thin air if it's grey, or he'll get a small amount if it's green, for example, just as if soloing. If you're killing mobs that are red to the twink, he will gain boatloads of xp.

In other words, try to find mobs that you can plow through as fast as possible on the high level, but are, optimally, red to the twink. Anything higher than +3 levels vs. the twink will most likely be a waste, as there's a limit to how much xp you can gain per kill.

PS: A way to ghetto plvl if you have a class that's not really built for fast slaughter is to use a tank or dps merc (if you're high level enough). My lvl 94 shaman is dog slow at churning mobs, but his tank mob kills an elemental in Paw in 5-10 seconds, so he can just run around and pull stuff to plvl. Not very fast, but better than nothing. :)

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 30, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

The XP the twink gains will be exactly as if he had killed the mob with any group, the twink getting half xp if grouped in two, for example. The xp share the high level gets will either go into thin air if it's grey, or he'll get a small amount if it's green, for example, just as if soloing. If you're killing mobs that are red to the twink, he will gain boatloads of xp.

There must be some other stuff that works into what exp the twink will get. The other day, me and Lubanja's boxes were at C2. I was getting over 10% of an AA per kill. Usil showed up to kill a couple fabled for us (can't remember level, but pretty sure he's 95, I was 70 for comparison), so we invited him into the group. The regular mobs we killed with him in the group gave an exp message, but I at least could no longer even see the exp bar move. When he killed the fabled though, I got 40% of an AA.

Perhaps if the kill is green/gray to the PL'er the exp given to the group is drastically reduced. I'm not sure what the regular mobs conned to him.

I had a question about merc slots - I just assume gold could get all 5. Then I read a comment before F2P about someone buying more merc slots. Then I noticed nowhere on the F2P page does it mention merc slots. Do you have to buy them with SC?

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

xZAOx posted:

There must be some other stuff that works into what exp the twink will get. The other day, me and Lubanja's boxes were at C2. I was getting over 10% of an AA per kill. Usil showed up to kill a couple fabled for us (can't remember level, but pretty sure he's 95, I was 70 for comparison), so we invited him into the group. The regular mobs we killed with him in the group gave an exp message, but I at least could no longer even see the exp bar move. When he killed the fabled though, I got 40% of an AA.

Perhaps if the kill is green/gray to the PL'er the exp given to the group is drastically reduced. I'm not sure what the regular mobs conned to him.

I had a question about merc slots - I just assume gold could get all 5. Then I read a comment before F2P about someone buying more merc slots. Then I noticed nowhere on the F2P page does it mention merc slots. Do you have to buy them with SC?

You have to buy them but I think they're still on sale at least for a little while. You can also quest 1 slot but you need to be a GM tradeskiller.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Merc slots are on sale for 800 SC each down from 1500. Yes you have to buy them from the marketplace. I don't think there is any other way.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Glad I realized this while it's on sale. Guess I'll go ahead and pick it up.

I wish I had dropped an extra $20 on double SC :(

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
AA XP is based off of how the mob /cons to the power leveler.
Normal XP is based off of how the mob /cons to the person being power leveled.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ckwiesr posted:

AA XP is based off of how the mob /cons to the power leveler.
Normal XP is based off of how the mob /cons to the person being power leveled.

Ah, mystery solved! Thanks!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vomik posted:

Merc slots are on sale for 800 SC each down from 1500. Yes you have to buy them from the marketplace. I don't think there is any other way.

Yeah, I think most of us who bought extra slots did it with the combination of the sale price and double SC so in reality it was like a 75% discount.

widds2v
Aug 23, 2004
Sorry, I'm socially retarded.
How often do they do double SC sales?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Vomik posted:

Technically you can get a merc slot in game, but its somewhere between impossible and utterly not worth the trouble.

On Station Cash bonuses, I'd put even odds on seeing it at any given holiday or other glorified excuse they get to throw a SC promotion out there.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

widds2v posted:

Rangers with bow become better when you get the good AA that makes bow godly.

Back in the day it was called EQ/AM3 which are Endless Quiver and Archery Mastery 3. Theyve even added some since. Those 2 basically gives you endless arrows and double damage with bow. All these will probably cost you like 25AA?

Right now at 75 with the Fabled Warmasters Recurved Bow I do anywhere form 500 dmg all the way up to 3K crits. With trueshot up, I get 5K+ crits. And along with the crit AA, /autofire, you crit alot.

Until then just use bow to pull and make sure you get the skills up to use it later.

And also you guys are kindd of wrong with the DPS and bows. From like Lv65-78 or so unless you get some godly mele weapons, bow damage is pretty good. This is like the golden levels of rangers and bows. After, in the 80s through the end game, yeah, melee wins out though.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 30, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

widds2v posted:

How often do they do double SC sales?

I've asked (and seen this asked) before, and from what I could gleam, while there's no set schedule, it seems to be about 3-4 times per year. More likely at holidays and in-game events (like fabled/anniversary month and going f2p that all happened at once this time). With maybe triple station cash happening once a year.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
This fukken paladin epic; I have the poo poo for the final turn in and now THAT npc isn't up in Fear.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Wife is out of town until late Sunday night, so I'm 100% on baby duty from now until then.

How am I supposed to survive with only a few hours of EQ a day? HOW?!

Benadryl makes her sleepy...hrm...

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I'll make sure to badly troll general chat for you while you're gone!

I think more people need to get to high level so we can do the SoD progression raids. I think I really need to be Lord Goonlord Lordgoonofgoons of the Time Lords. The anticipation is killing me.

reikazen
Mar 10, 2009

Lucificate posted:

Wish I was playing on Luclin with the rest of you, but I am still loving the game on my latest return.

With my SK on FV I have now gotten up to 2800 AA at level 85. I don't even play much - they just fly in. I have plenty of exp potions and never exp without lesson or a potion up. With the FV exp bonus and a double exp boost I am raking in about 90/hour right now in Thalassius. its nice to max out expensive lines in one session.

Have all passive offensive and defensive AA maxed out for level plus several clickies and fun AAs. Gonna wrap up spell/dot crits and pet bonuses and go ahead to 90 (Lucid, some new augs, and darkdream doomhammer waiting!). Trying to get all I can out of Thalassius while the gettin's good before learning a new, probably worse, swarm spot.

Been my longest stint with EQ since I first started playing on release day in '99.

Hey I am on FV send me a tell, name is Kimeno.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
I have more silly noob questions.

Are their still hell levels? If so which ones?

Should I be sweating gear at all? If so what items? It seems like I am leveling so fast (45 now) and I am still mostly wearing the tutorial and low level defiant gear. Is that an issue?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sgt Froggy posted:

Are their still hell levels? If so which ones?

Nope.

Sgt Froggy posted:

Should I be sweating gear at all? If so what items? It seems like I am leveling so fast (45 now) and I am still mostly wearing the tutorial and low level defiant gear. Is that an issue?

Nope.

At 60 and 70 I'd recommend grabbing the proper defiant. Unless you're going to wait until 70/71 to grind AA, then I wouldn't sweat it too much on the 60 stuff (pick up what's cheap or in the gbank).

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Just made the transfer. Sending a message to random guildie right now for invite.

Name: Kithyen

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 31, 2012

Xarthos
Nov 3, 2004

Let's Talk Templates
So I had 3 accounts back in the day. I can't seem to login to any of them. I went through the password and username recovery system and it see all of them but they don't work. I've already submitted a ticket about this but I am curious if anyone can tell me what is going on.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Xarthos posted:

So I had 3 accounts back in the day. I can't seem to login to any of them. I went through the password and username recovery system and it see all of them but they don't work. I've already submitted a ticket about this but I am curious if anyone can tell me what is going on.

Due to Sony getting hacked if you fail more than 6-12 logins in a 24 hour period you will get locked out completely from their website for 24 hours. It also doesn't give you an sort of error message explaining what is going on.

Also you can only recover one account per IP address per day.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
Broke down and unlocked the mage. Playing mage (level 25 as of this post) called thedeadprec.

So, are the epics (only 1.0 existed when I last played) as awesome as they were or are they now not so important?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
regarding gear, get gear for levels you plan to stop and AA. Don't spend a fortune, but make it as efficient as possible. I stopped at 65, 70 and 75 and spent enough time at those levels AAing that gear was worth the investment since AA comes so ridiculously fast in the hole/paw/PoF.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

Bugamol posted:

Due to Sony getting hacked if you fail more than 6-12 logins in a 24 hour period you will get locked out completely from their website for 24 hours. It also doesn't give you an sort of error message explaining what is going on.

Also you can only recover one account per IP address per day.

Thats very interesting. I got two of three restored before I got the 24 message. Wonder if I was just fortune or faulty memory.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Dead Precedents posted:

Broke down and unlocked the mage. Playing mage (level 25 as of this post) called thedeadprec.

So, are the epics (only 1.0 existed when I last played) as awesome as they were or are they now not so important?

1.0 is just a status symbol except for maybe rangers (slow proc is still nice).

1.5 is now just a stepping stone to 2.0 since we can ravage CoA in-guild no problem. 2.0 usefulness depends on your class. For Shadowknights, Shaman, and Necros they are basically required. Other classes vary in usefulness from useful-but-not-mandatory down to utterly worthless. If I'm remembering properly, mage 2.0 is amazing if you're grinding AA in paw at 71, but is replaced by level 80 entirely and you'll never click it again due to conflicts

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bugamol posted:

Due to Sony getting hacked if you fail more than 6-12 logins in a 24 hour period you will get locked out completely from their website for 24 hours.

Fun side-note - everytime you fail after that, it resets your 24 hour wait period. You have to wait a full 24 hours before trying again.

Dead Precedents posted:

Not so important. I still like mine as a monk, since it's an extra 40% song/spell haste, but even that's not great, because haste potions are cheap.

It'll be nice to already have it though to start on your 1.5 and 2.0 - which are still used by most (if not all) classes for at least their clickie effects. This way you don't have to do the 1.0 pre-quest (an alternative way of starting your 1.5, they didn't want everyone to have to trudge through the 1.0 which wasn't worth much by that point).

Edit: Kodaji gave more info, trust him over me. By the way, I'd recommend always doing any quests, or any exploration, or anything if you enjoy it. I think epic quests are something all EQ players should give a whirl, and not just be focused on the end result.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Sgt Froggy posted:

Thats very interesting. I got two of three restored before I got the 24 message. Wonder if I was just fortune or faulty memory.

Well when I was trying to find an account with vet rewards, I was only able to recover one. However my friend was able to do 3 or 4 before he was locked. Maybe I just suck, or you guys got lucky, or it's time based. No idea. All I know is that it's extremely ridiculous.

MWMetric
Nov 7, 2000

Since I played way back when epics were the big thing I love collecting them. I made a cleric last year and managed to do the whole quest in 12 hours (all at once, yes I have no life). It's a lot of fun, unless you really hate camping things, which I enjoy for some reason. It's funny though I always thought the quests were these big epic things but if you really pay attention to the story of them they are awful and make no sense.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Are there any decent hand to hand weapons I can get around level 42? I'm not getting any luck at finding defiant orbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Edit: Kodaji gave more info, trust him over me. By the way, I'd recommend always doing any quests, or any exploration, or anything if you enjoy it. I think epic quests are something all EQ players should give a whirl, and not just be focused on the end result.

Kodaji here, went back to my old name now that I'm not being Googled during job interviews.

I agree with this 150%. Epics are my favorite part of EQ hands down and if you want to do yours, whether it's useful or not, do it! Most of them are pretty easy these days and they all look cool even if it never gets used. Plus the quests are really well done, as opposed to most of the other quests in the game