Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
For good assists for cap, my friend runs Skrull,Cap,Ironfist, the synergy is astounding, too bad ironfist isn't that good outside of his assist. But yeah if you don't have an really beefy fullscreen assist to use with cap your doing it wrong.

Dren posted:

One thing I've been really annoyed by with Dooms is when they fly then airdash all around the top of the screen to control more space than if they just superjumped and flew. Then they wait for you to try to come up and get them and they foot dive your rear end. Or if you don't come up there they foot dive your rear end anyway because they have Doom and foot dive always wins. It's way harder to deal with a Doom who is above you and moving all around than it is to deal with one who is just above you.

Use assists if your still on your point character, if your on your last character do Xfactor 3 things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d3tBL0l3tk
I love British commentary

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

bouncyman posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d3tBL0l3tk
I love British commentary

This sort of stuff popping up so long after the game came out is why marvel is so good.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Is there any advantage to using rocks assist for doom instead of beam?

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

bouncyman posted:

Is there any advantage to using rocks assist for doom instead of beam?

Longer blockstun, the rocks stay on screen for longer, and they come out as soon as Doom hits the ground so they're hard to counter hit without projectiles.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Doom rocks are also better if your point character is kinda slow, like Hulk/Haggar/Thor/Nemesis.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Nothing quite beats Tron laugh for S tier taunt, but having Skrull do his super model walk up to the body and then down down heavy comes pretty drat close.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Niddhog what bnb are you using for Doom? I just started playing him.

edit: Or anybody's Doom bnb for that matter.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 30, 2012

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Waverhouse posted:

Nothing quite beats Tron laugh for S tier taunt, but having Skrull do his super model walk up to the body and then down down heavy comes pretty drat close.

Wright's full of these. Banana peel overhead, Maya faceplant, Trial mode present no/bad evidence, Turnabout mode Superman taunt, launcher, really anything he does can be made into a taunt.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
I have always been a fan of Morrigan launcher through groin. None of them gross me out like Nemesis though. It just look so gross, especially after a loss.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Waverhouse posted:

What about Deadpool's otherwise useless lvl 3?

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

SpaceBees posted:

I have a nifty corner thing that does ~750k, after launch, I do j.Mx2 f.H, Airdash down, j.M (x2? I don't remember I'm at work) right as the dash is about to finish, jump immediately after touching the ground, j.Mx2, f.H S then (HS s.j. j.Mx2, f.H S)x2 tiger knee Plasma Beam H, Photon Array. I usually use it to air exchange into Frank for some Noel Brown poo poo but by itself it's pretty powerful and builds a decent amount of meter for relatively little work.

Midscreen my bnb is loving up a buktooth so I wouldn't mind some advice there myself.

Waverhouse posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of Nova's throws, but for real on Tron's taunt, I did that so much in Vanilla I miss Tron :smith:

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

SpaceBees posted:

Clockw0rk loop.

Foot Dive then s.M (I use this instead of s.H to avoid accidental Hard Kick) S, j.M (2 hits), j.M (1 hit) f+H S cancel into addf, s.M (or H if you can avoid doing Hard Kick) S j.M (2 hits), j.M (1 hit) f+H S repeat into corner then either finish with Level 3 if you have the meter or do something stylish like s.M xx H Molecular Shield xx Sphere Flame. Some people also do TK Air Plasma Beam xx Photon Array but I like Sphere Flame better.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Chocolate America posted:

Clockw0rk loop.

Foot Dive then s.M (I use this instead of s.H to avoid accidental Hard Kick) S, j.M (2 hits), j.M (1 hit) f+H S cancel into addf, s.M (or H if you can avoid doing Hard Kick) S j.M (2 hits), j.M (1 hit) f+H S repeat into corner then either finish with Level 3 if you have the meter or do something stylish like s.M xx H Molecular Shield xx Sphere Flame. Some people also do TK Air Plasma Beam xx Photon Array but I like Sphere Flame better.

Yeah, this is the Niddhogg Approved Doom Combo.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Trish makes people online soooooooo salty.

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010
There is a very good player playing a team of Haggar/Phoenix Wright/M.O.D.O.K at http://www.twitch.tv/armshouse/b/313248554 about 1h58m40s in that is playing none other then DNT.Zak Bennett playing a team of Firebrand/Dorm/Ammy!

The second round is a very very close match between them. This a very good set between very good players, with some very good phoenix wright play.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Sooo Captivate is on Monday. Who thinks we're gonna hear news about an update to UMvC3? Whether its just a balance patch or new character DLC. Or nothing.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Sometimes I have a hard time doing the double footdive loop twice, like I'll mess it up and be above them. I really need to DHC into Frank West at 50+ hits consistently so I use s.H for extra hits. I also start with one buktooth rep because it's easy to land the first one but even if you gently caress up the timing it'll still transition into the double footdive combo pretty easily.

So basically I start with the Buktooth then do the Double Foot Dive loop for the second 2 parts.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

SpaceBees posted:

Here's the Buktooth loop video that has gotten posted a couple of times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yPskuh1yx8

For the Clock loop, the "hit M as soon as possible after super jumping" also applies. For me at least.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

iPodschun posted:

Here's the Buktooth loop video that has gotten posted a couple of times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yPskuh1yx8

For the Clock loop, the "hit M as soon as possible after super jumping" also applies. For me at least.

Thank you. I think this is the same (or similar) bnb combo for Doom in the UMVC3 Brady guide, but seeing it done makes it a lot easier to see where I am screwing up.

edit: Wow this is really in depth, thanks man this is just what I needed!

edit 2: My friend just informed me this version no longer works in UMvC3, is this true?

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 30, 2012

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

SpaceBees posted:

Sooo Captivate is on Monday. Who thinks we're gonna hear news about an update to UMvC3? Whether its just a balance patch or new character DLC. Or nothing.

I'm optimistic that they'll follow the SF4 model and announce a DLC update. I think there are still enough people interested in the game that it would be worthwhile for Capcom.

Last year information from Captivate was embargoed until the following week. Any idea if that's the case this year?

SpaceBees posted:

My friend just informed me this version no longer works in UMvC3, is this true?

The Buktooth loop definitely still works in UMvC3. I didn't notice any difference transitioning from vanilla with that combo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nate405 posted:

Last year information from Captivate was embargoed until the following week. Any idea if that's the case this year?

It'll probably be that way. I remember we heard certain things were announced but we didn't see any previews or the like until a week later.

bomper
Apr 26, 2009

SpaceBees posted:

They still have to put in replay support, right? Capcom would never just leave us hanging...

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

SpaceBees posted:

edit 2: My friend just informed me this version no longer works in UMvC3, is this true?
Like Nate405 said, it does still work. The Clockw0rk double-foot dive loop like what Chocolate America posted does a little more damage though. I started off by learning the Buktooth loop, then after I got that down I moved on to doing the double foot dive loop.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I haven't tested the numbers myself but I know a pretty good Doom player that says the following does more damage than the clockwork loop:
Any starter into s.S sj.MfH dfDash M land j.LMMfH dfDash cr.MHS begin clockwork loop

Off of an S foot dive you only get one clockwork loop rep but anything else gives you two. Any kind of air to air at pretty much any height can go straight into the combo at the sj.MfH. If you're not confidant with the clockwork loops simply doing sj.MMfH finger lasers at that point is pretty easy and nets you decent damage.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

SpaceBees posted:

Capcom's been kinda weird about it. It's not like the game hasn't been selling well (It's currently the top selling "Full" game download on PSN for the PSVita. Even beating Uncharted) and even though UMvC3X was a bunk rumour, people on NeoGAF looking it up found that Capcom and Marvel did update the game's trademarks to include "Downloadable Digital Content Vouchers" recently. On top of that, Niitsuma's new project is allegedly a much smaller scale one (Possibly 3DS or XBLA/PSN) so it wouldn't be hard for him to oversee some DLC or a new patch while he was beavering away on his new project.

It's possible we might see something.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Does anyone have any tips for landing OTG camera into super after a midscreen TAC ending in kneedrop with Frank? Whenever I do it, the opponent techs out of the camera shot and I can't super.

e.g. <some combo> TAC M, L tools, M, L tools, M, L tools, kneedrop, OTG camera, tools of survival super (as seen here)

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Flying High posted:

There is a very good player playing a team of Haggar/Phoenix Wright/M.O.D.O.K at http://www.twitch.tv/armshouse/b/313248554 about 1h58m40s in that is playing none other then DNT.Zak Bennett playing a team of Firebrand/Dorm/Ammy!

The second round is a very very close match between them. This a very good set between very good players, with some very good phoenix wright play.

That spacing between the pillars with Wright was fantastic.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I just wanna say that while I am still terrible, last night I perfected someone and got 3 rage quits.

Also, I finally have the presence of mind and execution to use invincible crossover counters to kill people who try to chip me out.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
^360 or PS3? I feel like I'm in the same boat as you where I get dumbfounded and too excited mid-game to think about what I'm doing. I'd be down for running an extended set sometime to raise in-game awareness. I'm on PS3 as legit3incher

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Omnikin posted:

^360 or PS3? I feel like I'm in the same boat as you where I get dumbfounded and too excited mid-game to think about what I'm doing. I'd be down for running an extended set sometime to raise in-game awareness. I'm on PS3 as legit3incher

Sadly, I am on 360 or I would run some sets. It has taken me since launch of Vanilla to learn to pay attention to what's actually happening on the screen enough that I can win. It's still something I have to work on. Another thing I've been working on is having no mercy. When I get matches against people who are just plain bad a lot of the time I give them breathing room and just dick around because I know I can kill them whenever. After a while I realized that not always trying to run my best offense was making me worse.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
Does anyone have pointers on doing Doctor Strange's j.M, M, H, f.H loops on the ground, like in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxC7eySnCSU

I can pull off that loop in the air just fine, but when I do it on the ground, I can never connect that first j.M for the life of me.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Flying High posted:

Zak Bennett's Firebrand/Dorm/Ammy is so sick. http://www.twitch.tv/armshouse/b/313248554?t=2h31m48s After he gets people in Firebrand's vortex he DHCs into Dorm's ball to finish them off. The ball stays on the screen long enough to let Dorm charge up the meteor spell then cast meteors on the incoming character. Firebrand raw tags in while the meteors are coming down then calls Cold Star and just like that the next character is back in the vortex.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
@Dren- sucks about the console difference! But if anyone wants to play some games this weekend on PS3 I'll be on a bunch trying to level up. Go hogwild with your best mixups (defense wins championships)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cat Machine posted:

Does anyone have any tips for landing OTG camera into super after a midscreen TAC ending in kneedrop with Frank? Whenever I do it, the opponent techs out of the camera shot and I can't super.

e.g. <some combo> TAC M, L tools, M, L tools, M, L tools, kneedrop, OTG camera, tools of survival super (as seen here)

How fast are you cancelling into and out of camera? Kneedrop can have the landing frames canceled + you should be able to cancel immediately from camera to super.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Omnikin posted:

@Dren- sucks about the console difference! But if anyone wants to play some games this weekend on PS3 I'll be on a bunch trying to level up. Go hogwild with your best mixups (defense wins championships)

Having offense good enough that you don't ever play defense wins championships. Having good defense doesn't hurt your chances though.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

flatluigi posted:

How fast are you cancelling into and out of camera? Kneedrop can have the landing frames canceled + you should be able to cancel immediately from camera to super.
Dooooohhhh, it's so obvious now

e: ugghhhh still popping out

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 30, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Dren posted:

Having offense good enough that you don't ever play defense wins championships. Having good defense doesn't hurt your chances though.

You definitely need good defense to win a major. It's just that...how to put this...the defense you need is basically a burst of pinpoint blocking, not much more than that in most situations. You just have to block for a short time and then counterattack, instead of blocking for fifteen game seconds or so. Conversely, ruthless, relentless offense is mandatory to take home the gold.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
Not dying and being able to kill the other guy are both fairly essential for winning tournaments. (or video games in general)

However, I think Kusoru's win at Final Round illustrates the power of having a strong defense. He went up against all of the crazy top tier poo poo America had to throw at him and won with a very unconventional team, thanks greatly in part to his meticulous defense.

edit: hell, one of his most consistent set ups was waiting for players to barge right into his (╯'ω')╯︵ [ニニニ] LOG TRAP!

Smeego fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humpert
Jan 12, 2007
Don't fear me, I'm just like you. But giant!
So I've been having a ton of fun with this game. Probably not the best game to pick up as your first serious fighter but it helped to have my roomate to play a ton of games against while we both slowly got the hang of it.

With me being pretty into e-sports and competative gaming and all that, I love watching the tournaments in UMVC3. However, being in europe means I can't really watch that many of them live, and it's really quite annoying to find VOD's of matches. Is there a good site for this? SRK is pretty good at linking to replays but by then it's usually several days after the event has happened.

• Locked thread