Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Dude, Rockstar flipped their poo poo if you put videos of the game up on youtube on release. They are completely anal about information control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TheJoker138 posted:

I wouldn't mind speed limits and a fuel gauge and other crap like that if they were in a completely optional "hardcore" mode. Like having to drink water and poo poo in Fallout New Vegas.

It would be really neat to have police enforcement settings, so you could choose between realistic (where they'd come after you for running red lights and speeding, like in Driver), normal or no police reaction at all.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
You think game companies are bad, film studios are worse, I have to sign an NDA to look at half a screenshot of a corrupted wireframe render of 1/10th of an object that could literally be anything. If I wasn't under NDA I'd post it right here to show you how ridiculous it is!

If Rockstar go to even half these lengths, they've got nothing to worry about.

MZ fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 27, 2012

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh man, a friend tuned me in on that leak and I had to crack a smile. It's wishlist wankery of the nth degree with a My Uncle Works At Nintendo carelessly slapped on top of it.

The best thing about it is it takes the laziest possible route and does the old psychic mindreader's trick of lacing it with incredibly generic statements that sound true because they're such no brainers. Let's see:

"Gunfights will be more realistic!" Yeah, no poo poo. Rockstar know how to make shooting look and sound satisfying. Of course they're going to make the shooting look better.

"The game is due out at some point in May 2013!" Throw in a date that sounds reasonable enough and that poo poo's gotta be legit, y'all. Rockstar announces any different? Well, that wasn't a final date, you know?

"The protagonist doesn't die!". Well, poo poo, I guess that breaks Grand Theft Auto's tradition of killing off its protagoni- wait, you mean a GTA game has never killed your character? Well, okay then. If you're going to give away the ending, why not give away some of the plot twists? It's because you can't think of anything that doesn't sound like fanfiction.

Then you have your usual spergy wishlist stuff like speed limit penalties, radio stations doing traffic reports and car crash impacts wounding your character. What do most people do when they play GTA games? Drive cars fast and crash them into walls. Rockstar isn't stupid enough to punish the player for doing what the game encourages them to in the first place, and the traffic report poo poo brings us to fantastical new heights of tedious spergery the likes we've never seen before. It sounds like such a innovative and fun gameplay mechanic, dialling up phone numbers to see if a place is bogged down with traffic so you can avoid it! Genius!

Following that up is the wanted level system which is regurgiated from the previous games, except with a brand new loving terrible idea of making the police search for you over several game days. Never mind that that'd force people into conflict even if they wanted to avoid it and effectively punishes people for pushing the law to the extreme, which is the ENTIRE POINT OF THE GAME. Goddamn.

I do like the idea of radio stations issuing a civic alert for a maniac on a rampage, though. That'd be a nice touch. Shame it interferes with the "Child who looks up to his dad" motif because I'm sure hearing about pops shooting grannies in the face every five minutes would wear on any kid's psyche.

I'm not even angry that the dude made the post, I'm more suprised by how many people have taken it as gospel. Not you fine folks, you're all too intelligent, but I've had friends bouncing off the walls about this post and I must be cynical as all gently caress because my eyes started rolling so fast I think I discovered the secret to perpetual motion because they're still going even now as I think about the post. At this point I almost want Rockstar to release the entire design document with a little post-it note that says "THERE, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?" on the end.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 27, 2012

metalfingers
Jul 9, 2005

hurf

Songbearer posted:

Then you have your usual spergy wishlist stuff like speed limit penalties, radio stations doing traffic reports and car crash impacts wounding your character. What do most people do when they play GTA games? Drive cars fast and crash them into walls. Rockstar isn't stupid enough to punish the player for doing what the game encourages them to in the first place, and the traffic report poo poo brings us to fantastical new heights of tedious spergery the likes we've never seen before. It sounds like such a innovative and fun gameplay mechanic, dialling up phone numbers to see if a place is bogged down with traffic so you can avoid it! Genius!

Traffic reports sounds like a tough thing to implement for not much payoff. Why would the game bother to randomly distribute bottlenecks of traffic before the player is even close enough for the cars to be drawn? Also, given the way most of us drive in GTA it'd be pointless to have the radio reports - the congestion would either be close enough that by the time the report is done you'd have come upon it anyway, or it'd be far away enough to be irrelevant. Is there going to be a random chance that there's a traffic delay on your GPS route? Because all I can see arising from that is pissed off players blaming a lovely game mechanic for making them fail a timed mission or a race. I also doubt any of us knew more than a dozen of the street names in GTAIV's Liberty - they added a nice bit of extraneous polish but gently caress if I'm gonna go learning off a fictional city's street names when I don't know half of the street names in my hometown. Absolute horseshit.

However, didn't crashes in GTAIV wound the player character? Obviously the ones where Niko gets torpedoed through the windscreen cause damage but I think I remember dying a few times from crashing when really low on health. Maybe it only triggers when the player characters are at death's door, or maybe I got shot

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

metalfingers posted:

However, didn't crashes in GTAIV wound the player character? Obviously the ones where Niko gets torpedoed through the windscreen cause damage but I think I remember dying a few times from crashing when really low on health. Maybe it only triggers when the player characters are at death's door, or maybe I got shot

I'm pretty sure you can get hurt from crashes where you don't get tossed through the windshield, yeah. Like, flipping the car over at speed and poo poo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MZ posted:

You think game companies are bad, film studios are worse, I have to sign an NDA to look at half a screenshot of a corrupted wireframe render of 1/10th of an object that could literally be anything. If I wasn't under NDA I'd post it right here to show you how ridiculous it is!

If Rockstar go to even half these lengths, they've got nothing to worry about.

I make video games for Disney, I have the worst of both worlds! Anyone who enters the office even to use the bathroom has to sign an NDA. NDAs EVERYWHERE!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's because Disney is a terrible company in general.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
I think that the idea behind having the announcements on the radio when a player is on a rampage would be awesome. I can pretty much tell that the person who posted that os bullshitting but now I can't stop thinking about how that would be a great game mechanic.

Just imagine getting a five star rating and them hearing a news bulletin that describes the vehicle that you're driving or even the clothes that your character is wearing. I can't imagine that they'll refer to your character by his actual name but just a description.

Something has me convinced that there are multiple characters to play as. I know for a fact that multiplayer wi probably involve doing things like co-op missions because it just makes sense in the natural progression of the Grand Theft Auto series. I am just wondering if these co-op missions will also intersect with the single player story or if it will be a story of its own. One thing that I feel would be a really strong gameplay mechanic is drop in type of multiplayer inside of the single player. You start up your game and if you're not in a mission then anyone on your friends list would be able to join in on your game.

I think all of these leaks are bullshit because none of them mention multiplayer and from the sounds of what Rockstar has said about GTA V's multiplayer it is going to very integral part of the gameplay. We already know that there will be clans/gangs so I am wondering just what that entitles.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LA attack posted:

I think that the idea behind having the announcements on the radio when a player is on a rampage would be awesome. I can pretty much tell that the person who posted that os bullshitting but now I can't stop thinking about how that would be a great game mechanic.

Just imagine getting a five star rating and them hearing a news bulletin that describes the vehicle that you're driving or even the clothes that your character is wearing. I can't imagine that they'll refer to your character by his actual name but just a description.

This would be nice, since Vice City had a stats thing where it ranked the highest media attention you ever got while playing the game. It'd be nice to have the radio/tv/web reflect those, which Vice City didn't.

The ranks went:
0 - 25 Ignored
25 - 50 Boring
50 - 75 Vaguely Interesting
75 - 100 Local Paper Page 7
100 - 150 Front Page of Local Paper
150 - 200 Vice Courier Page 2
200 - 250 Vice Courier Front Page
250 - 300 Local TV 3 AM
300 - 350 Local TV News
350 - 400 Local TV Live Coverage
400 - 500 UFA Today Page 12
500 - 600 UFA Today Page 4
600 - 700 Picture in UFA Today
700 - 800 National TV 4 AM
800 - 900 National TV News
900 - 1000 National TV Live Coverage
1000 - 1200 International News
1200 - 1400 National Crisis
1400 - 1600 International Crisis
1600 - 1800 World Event
1800 - ???? Stuff of Legends

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Install Gentoo posted:

900 - 1000 National TV Live Coverage
1000 - 1010 SA Goon
1110 - 1200 International News

Fixed that for you.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

LA attack posted:

They didn't do it on the radio per se, but GTA4 did have police bulletins audible on the scanner where they described your car going in a particular direction a particular street. Like "a white Bravado sedan headed southbound on Galveston Avenue..." or something of that nature.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

donut posted:

They didn't do it on the radio per se, but GTA4 did have police bulletins audible on the scanner where they described your car going in a particular direction a particular street. Like "a white Bravado sedan headed southbound on Galveston Avenue..." or something of that nature.

They had that in, at least, VC and SA as well. Forget if it was in III and never played any of the earlier or handheld games.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

teethgrinder posted:

Fixed that for you.

Different ranking--SA Goon was in your criminal ranking, not your media attention.

I never did figure out how your media attention went up, even after using the cheat to display it onscreen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Different ranking--SA Goon was in your criminal ranking, not your media attention.

I never did figure out how your media attention went up, even after using the cheat to display it onscreen.

You had to lay continuous destruction to raise it and maintain it. Once you were reaching the top ends you had to be setting off explosions every second and smashing tons of people.

So, if you wanted the best, you'd use trainers and car definition editing to move tank properties to a Sabre Turbo, give it the handling stats of a Comet, and start constantly ramming all kinds of cars at 200 mph.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice

Cliff Racer posted:

They had that in, at least, VC and SA as well. Forget if it was in III and never played any of the earlier or handheld games.

It has been a staple of the GTA series since the very beginning.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ElwoodCuse posted:

:doh:

Wired has been running a series of articles to advertise a book, Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto.

They're too long to post in their entirety:

Early marketing:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/03/grand-theft-auto-jacked/

Anecdotes about working with celebrities:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/03/ray-liotta-vice-city/

Take a guess:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/03/hot-coffee-san-andreas/

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 30, 2012

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Those of you who have played this on PC... worth getting, or should I get the 360 version? I've heard reports that the port wasn't very good.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

mixitwithblop posted:

Those of you who have played this on PC... worth getting, or should I get the 360 version? I've heard reports that the port wasn't very good.

Unless you're a hardcore modder and have a top-notch PC, I'd go with the 360 version. The PC port runs great for some people but really badly for others.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mixitwithblop posted:

Buy it if you've got an up to date gaming PC, know how to deal with mods and are okay with a poor control scheme. Otherwise 360 is much better.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Depends on how important graphics are to you. When the pc port first came out I had an 8800gt with an i7 920 and it ran well enough for me to love how it looked over the console. Having a mouse makes the game too easy if anything, but the driving is a little less enjoyable than a controller, if you don't feel like hooking one up. Mods are fun but what I love wasting time with is joining an online free mode game with someone else who loves building crazy ramps and huge structures at the airport. The was some guy I think named Modulat0r or something that I would always look for and have fun with.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Cliff Racer posted:

Buy it if you've got an up to date gaming PC, know how to deal with mods and are okay with a poor control scheme. Otherwise 360 is much better.

Sounds good. I've got a fairly decent gaming box and a 360 controller and wireless usb adapter.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
I recently finished L.A. Noire, BOGT before that, TLAD before that, Red Dead before and of course GTA: IV.

Just starting on Heavy Rain now, but I ask in here because I'm guessing most people in here are fan's of Rockstar's games in general.

What is Max Payne like? Judging by the GTA, L.A. and Red dead games will I love it the same?

If yes, should I play 1 and 2? or will they be too out dated now?

We should have a Rockstar thread...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I recently finished L.A. Noire, BOGT before that, TLAD before that, Red Dead before and of course GTA: IV.

Just starting on Heavy Rain now, but I ask in here because I'm guessing most people in here are fan's of Rockstar's games in general.

What is Max Payne like? Judging by the GTA, L.A. and Red dead games will I love it the same?

We should have a Rockstar thread...

It's pretty different from the formula followed in the games you listed. It's "only" a shooter, and it pulls it off well. The story, narration, and atmosphere of the first two games was great and I still think they're fun to play today. Impossible to say if you'd like them or not based on the games you mentioned, though.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.

wa27 posted:

It's pretty different from the formula followed in the games you listed. It's "only" a shooter, and it pulls it off well. The story, narration, and atmosphere of the first two games was great and I still think they're fun to play today. Impossible to say if you'd like them or not based on the games you mentioned, though.

OK sweet, thanks for the tip. I'll see if there are any demos of them.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

A man questions the motives behind my actions, He does not know.
High value entertainment to be gotten, mystery to uncover. All but lost in the depths of time and memory.
Landmarks of achievements past, still influential in the world today.
A story of a man... that has nothing more to live for.

Also it has this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omQ-7wZTXvI

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Max Payne 2 is one of my favorite games ever and it really needs a re-release :(

and The Warriors while were on rockstar games. Man that game was underappreciated

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

the_american_dream posted:

and The Warriors while were on rockstar games. Man that game was underappreciated

I like you.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

God, everything about The Warriors game ruled, from the fighting to the voice work to the kickin rad Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Captured the movie perfectly.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haha.

But yeah, The Warriors was great, and the PSP version was probably the best of the lot. The UI just seemed to work better for me, but it also has the awesome Double Dragon remake included.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Haha.

But yeah, The Warriors was great, and the PSP version was probably the best of the lot. The UI just seemed to work better for me, but it also has the awesome Double Dragon remake included.

That was in the original release as well. Warriors was amazing at making you feel like you were really loving someone up, especially with the chatter when you knocked someone out. If they did an HD release with online play I would buy a copy so fast.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
The Warriors was one of the best if not the best last generation co-op games also. Even if it made the other player be "generic black dude" sometimes. My buddy hates mimes, which didn't go over so well in that one stage with respawning mimes while you have to accomplish goal X that I seem to remember having to do with 2 players. Thousands of mimes died that day while I tried to find the objective while he slayed mime after mime.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

Max Payne 1 looks a bit dated, 2 looks pretty good and have some additional physics that makes it seem a bit less dated. That's only graphics though, gameplay and story is still great.

In short: they were awesome when they came out, and still pretty awesome. Oh yeah, and as others have already said, they're not open world like GTA/RDR at all.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

If they just made an HD REMAKE of the warriors id buy it twice, just thinking of all the awesome poo poo in that game gets me worked up. Having to find a blow dealer to get health, breaking car windows and stealing stereos for cash during the NYC blackout, bashing someones head against the wall until they're crawling away barfing, only to stomp them out til they stop moving, having to protect the local headshop from your rival gang, and last but not least, the level where you go into the Turnbull AC club and after the bar is wiped out the band gets off stage with their instruments to fight you. Greatest game ever made

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Is there any difference to the game experience between buying the GTAIV episodes standalone and buying them as expansions?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The standalone has new radio station material while the expansions add to the existing radio. That's the only difference, I think.

Also, where the gently caress is the GTA5 info??

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

TLAD as an expansion to the base IV game cannot be played multiplayer with the TLAD included in EoLC, if I recall correctly.

My experience is with the Xbox version.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Ok. I was just wondering if Johnny and Luis could do everything in the city Niko could, like the comedy clubs, if you buy the episodes as expansion packs.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

vote_no posted:

Also, where the gently caress is the GTA5 info??

Probably non-existing until Max Payne 3 is way closer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Iacen posted:

Probably non-existing until Max Payne 3 is out
Fixed.

There won't be any new GTAV info until well after the release of Max Payne 3.

• Locked thread