Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Has there been any news of when the e-book editions are going to be released? I would love to re-read the series, but the last few books are so big and awkward to hold, I'd rather just wait until I can read it on my Kindle.

They will be released on pottermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

DontMockMySmock posted:

You mean for the next two years? HP7 takes place in 1997-1998 :v:

:spergin:

Er, I was referring to Narcissa's actions at the Final Battle, and the time thereafter.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

daggerdragon posted:

Er, I was referring to Narcissa's actions at the Final Battle, and the time thereafter.

The final battle is in 1998.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

The final battle is in 1998.

The Epilogue occurs later, obviously. Malfoy is clearly still well-to-do by then, so Narcissa's actions at the Final Battle kept her family off the Wizarding world's poo poo list.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

daggerdragon posted:

The Epilogue occurs later, obviously. Malfoy is clearly still well-to-do by then, so Narcissa's actions at the Final Battle kept her family off the Wizarding world's poo poo list.

It was a joke. If her actions in the final battle kept her from being reviled for the rest of the century, then she only prevented two years of revulsion (actually, either about 1 and 1/2 or 2 and 1/2, depending on how one defines the end of a century). This is humorous because the inclusion of the word "century" in your phrasing gave the impression of a long time, when in fact it is a very short time, which is ironic, because the literal meaning is nearly opposite the intended meaning. The joke, having been thoroughly explained now, is dead. You killed it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

DontMockMySmock posted:

The joke, having been thoroughly explained now, is dead. You killed it.
The Avada Kedavra of comedy.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

It was a joke. If her actions in the final battle kept her from being reviled for the rest of the century, then she only prevented two years of revulsion (actually, either about 1 and 1/2 or 2 and 1/2, depending on how one defines the end of a century). This is humorous because the inclusion of the word "century" in your phrasing gave the impression of a long time, when in fact it is a very short time, which is ironic, because the literal meaning is nearly opposite the intended meaning. The joke, having been thoroughly explained now, is dead. You killed it.

O...kay. Now I get it. Thanks for the explanation. I just wasn't expecting a joke there, and thought I was merely being unclear. Anyway, back to Potter.

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
Of course when reading the books one registers, "Oh, Narcissa loves her son, and would even betray her 'master' to save him", but it's quite stunning the way her fateful decision to fake Harry being dead literally saved the Wizarding World.

Well, unless it was already saved, what with Harry having died for Hogwarts and thus sealing them with the protective magic. Whatever. Y'all know what I mean.

Toxif
Jul 22, 2009
I don't mean to go OT, but I simply must point out/brag about how Wheel of Time is known for its hideously excessive number of named characters. Observe:

http://blacktower.net/charlist.htm

Anywho, back on topic: I completely agree with how meaningful the Harry Potter series was to us young'ns growing up as gradeschoolers while the books were just starting to become popular. Outside of the Redwall series (RIP Brain Jacques), The Hobbit was the only book I ever read on my own; when I got into Harry Potter in middle school, I was turned on to fantasy fiction for life. Since then, I've read countless series, and I continually seek out new stuff to read (even occasionally branching out into other genres).

I also agree, however, that Harry Potter is not the best-written series, that there are some rather annoying faults that I noticed when I first read it and after a reread a year or so ago, and that the latter half of Deathly Hallows felt as though JKR had woken up one morning and realized she was supposed to submit the final draft to her publisher that day, and so she scrambled to throw something on the computer. Don't get me started on the epilogue >.<

Even still, I enjoy the occasional reread. Specifically, I am one of those people who prefers rereading certain scenes of certain books, because one of the things I love most in fiction (especially in fantasy fiction) is the "epic" and emotional stuff, the 'Crowning Moments' as TVtropes puts it. The scene when Harry came back to the Triwizard Tournament holding Cedrics body, for example. Good times :O

As far as the magic system goes.. well, let's just say that the series holds a special place in my heart because it was the springboard for what would become the magic system I am working on for a fantasy series I have been developing for several years now. HP magic is a bit shaky, and there are indeed a lot of "why didn't you do this in this scene, you idiots!!" moments in the books, but such is the treacherous balancing act of awesome magic systems and plots that should only really last half a book. See also: How x Should Have Ended.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Toxif posted:

As far as the magic system goes.. well, let's just say that the series holds a special place in my heart because it was the springboard for what would become the magic system I am working on for a fantasy series I have been developing for several years now. HP magic is a bit shaky, and there are indeed a lot of "why didn't you do this in this scene, you idiots!!" moments in the books, but such is the treacherous balancing act of awesome magic systems and plots that should only really last half a book. See also: How x Should Have Ended.

Would you care to elaborate on your magic system? Upgraded HP-system sounds cool.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Rowling's writing a new book http://entertainment.time.com/2012/02/23/j-k-rowling-to-publish-first-adult-novel/

quote:

Well, grown-ups, you no longer have to hide your copies of Harry Potter and the Whatever Whatever during your morning commute, because the author of the popular childrens book series is writing her first book for the olds.

That’s pretty much all the details we have for you today. Neither the book’s title, nor the date nor the topic nor the anything has yet been announced, though Little, Brown (which also publishes the Twilight novels) says that much of that will be announced later this year.

In today’s press release, Rowling said the following:

quote:

Although I’ve enjoyed writing it every bit as much, my next book will be very different to the Harry Potter series, which has been published so brilliantly by Bloomsbury and my other publishers around the world. The freedom to explore new territory is a gift that Harry’s success has brought me, and with that new territory it seemed a logical progression to have a new publisher. I am delighted to have a second publishing home in Little, Brown, and a publishing team that will be a great partner in this new phase of my writing life.

Do you think you’ll get a copy of this when it comes out, or are you strictly a Potter person?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I wonder why she switched publishers.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It could explain why Pottermore is taking so long.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Azubah posted:

It could explain why Pottermore is taking so long.

I'd forgotten that had even existed.

And I see nothing has changed since I last logged in months and months ago.

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'd forgotten that had even existed.

And I see nothing has changed since I last logged in months and months ago.

At least duelling works now...

I can't wait, yet at the same time I'm dreading this new book of JKR. I hope it's good, for the author's sake.

Art for the sake of making art.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paragon8 posted:

I wonder why she switched publishers.

Hopefully a new publisher will mean a publisher that will actually consider an ebook version. I know that there's supposed to be ebook stuffs from Pottermore eventually but that has been delayed so much and they're being so quiet about it that it might as well not exist.

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 24, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I thought it was Rowling herself that didn't want ebooks rather than the publisher.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Looks like the ebook shop is open now. http://shop.pottermore.com/

I don't have an ereader, so I don't know if the prices are good. $8 for the first 3 books, $10 for the rest. They also have audiobooks which do seem really expensive but again I wouldn't really know.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fru Fru posted:

Looks like the ebook shop is open now. http://shop.pottermore.com/

I don't have an ereader, so I don't know if the prices are good. $8 for the first 3 books, $10 for the rest. They also have audiobooks which do seem really expensive but again I wouldn't really know.

Those prices are about par for the course for kindle books.

tehgrif
Apr 3, 2009

I thought the 57 for all of them wasn't terribly unreasonable.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A word of warning, apparently you can only download an ebook from the site 8 times total. If for whatever reason you need to download again, you're out of luck unless you pay:

quote:

eBooks purchased from the Pottermore Shop can be downloaded for your personal use up to eight times, at no additional cost. If you want to share your Harry Potter eBook with your own children, that’s absolutely fine with us too, so long as they are under 18. Actually, we’d encourage it! However, once they are over 18, they will need to buy their own copy.

You might want to download a copy to your laptop, your tablet, and your child’s eReader – whatever the combination – you have eight available downloads per book. There’s no time limit to use up your downloads, so if you lose your device or close an account with one of our partners, come back at any time to take another copy.

Eight downloads will normally be plenty, so you won’t need to buy again. However, if you do download a book more than eight times, or want to buy it as a gift, you will need to purchase it again. For more details on downloads and how they can be used, please see our Terms & Conditions.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure that it'd break their servers having people redownload their 850KB+ books more than 8 times, good on them for standing up and protecting their bank balances! Oh, what's that, most digital game providers allow you to redownload your games which are thousands of times bigger than that, unlimited times? Good to see that the ebook industry is still backwards.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Srice posted:

A word of warning, apparently you can only download an ebook from the site 8 times total. If for whatever reason you need to download again, you're out of luck unless you pay:

This is why DRM is evil.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blodskur posted:

I'm sure that it'd break their servers having people redownload their 850KB+ books more than 8 times, good on them for standing up and protecting their bank balances! Oh, what's that, most digital game providers allow you to redownload your games which are thousands of times bigger than that, unlimited times? Good to see that the ebook industry is still backwards.

I think that is pretty reasonable.

Granted I'd rather it be "active" on up to 8 devices rather than straight downloads. At least then if you have a habit of losing devices you don't get screwed further.

I think the "active" limit exists for some items on Amazon's Kindle store as I've gotten some warning messages when using my Kindle vs. iPhone for the Kindle App for my macbook.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If I buy it for my Kindle then load the book up on my Kindle 2, iPad, and iPhone, does that count as 1 "download" or 3?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hedrigall posted:

If I buy it for my Kindle then load the book up on my Kindle 2, iPad, and iPhone, does that count as 1 "download" or 3?

I cant think of any way they could track individual devices. It probably only tracks the number of times you right-click -> Save Target As

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
So why would you buy it off pottermore store and not amazon.com?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

arioch posted:

Because pottermore is the only place that sells the Harry Potter ebooks. Amazon only sells physical copies.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

arioch posted:

If you go to Amazon.com it says they're only available through a third party website (IE: Pottermore). You can't buy it with your Amazon account, you have to create a Pottermore store account, buy it there, then "link it to your Amazon account" however that's done (there's a huge page of instructions).

They way they decided to release this is a mess. I don't see why they couldn't just release them through Amazon/B&N/other ebook stores like usual.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I believe they are listed on Amazon but buying redirects to Pottermore. I read something to the effect of that giving you a DRM version but no idea whether that is true.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
To be honest I just saw those Harry Potter e-books pop up on my Kindle and I had no idea. This is pretty awful.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Is there even any timeline on updating Pottermore? That was a pretty massive letdown.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
What's unclear is once it's linked to your Amazon account, are you free of the 8 downloads only? Do you get unlimited downloads like all other Amazon ebooks once it's on your Amazon account, or do they just do some middleman distribution magic and Pottermore is still ticking off downloads behind the scenes.

This whole thing seems stupid and awkward and a prime example of why people try to strip DRM out of poo poo they buy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly the best solution for me is going to be to download the book once, make an absurd amount of backup copies, and convert my one download to whatever format I need.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Once it's on your personal documents on Amazon, you can download it from there as many times as you want. It's really not bad once you see how they've done it, and I think it's great that they offer all the formats, including raw epub.

What IS bad is that if you get the Amazon-delivered versions, the formatting is all hosed up on them. It's not in any way that affects readability, but the artwork and stuff is all over the place in alignment and some stuff seems to not be aligned correctly vertically on the "page." The raw epubs are fine and I could easily convert them myself, I just don't think it's very professional to have the Kindle version be crappy.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

That is so bizarre and insane. Why on earth would anyone think such a restrictive system is a good idea when literally every other ebook selling website lets you download stuff over and over forever?

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Is it really as restrictive as you're making it out to be? If these books had come out like normal, with every distributor able to carry their own copy, you could buy them from Amazon and then you'd only have access to them (legally) using Amazon products. The way it is now, you buy them from Pottermore, and not only do you have unlimited access to them once you transfer them to your Amazon account, but you can provide access to them for 7 more accounts if you ever decide to switch e-readers. Or you can download a DRM-free version and be set for any strange e-reader you want, and make unlimited copies of that file, and back it up everywhere you want.

How is this more restrictive than locking yourself into one company's ebook store?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

RichterIX posted:

What IS bad is that if you get the Amazon-delivered versions, the formatting is all hosed up on them. It's not in any way that affects readability, but the artwork and stuff is all over the place in alignment and some stuff seems to not be aligned correctly vertically on the "page." The raw epubs are fine and I could easily convert them myself, I just don't think it's very professional to have the Kindle version be crappy.

That sucks, I hope they fix it. This would be a great gift to give my wife since she re-reads these things like crack but all of her books are falling apart

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I wish I could buy through Amazon if for no other reason than to use the credit I've been saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Going through the books again, Rowling sure likes to use "beaming" a lot. As in "X was beaming at Y". I swear the verb "beaming" is used more in the Potter books than on Star Trek.

It's not really a complaint, just a quirky observation.

• Locked thread