Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

td4guy posted:

Since when could Sprint block phone numbers? I had this issue with a rogue fax machine a couple of years ago and they told me they couldn't do anything except change my phone number to stop it.

Login to your Sprint account preferences here and scroll to the bottom of the page. There are options for blocking voice and text numbers. Every time I or my wife get spam I add it to my active block list there. The only one that keeps calling is "Unavailable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

Since when could Sprint block phone numbers? I had this issue with a rogue fax machine a couple of years ago and they told me they couldn't do anything except change my phone number to stop it.

They can now, just call customer care.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Screen shot of Sprint's LTE coverage plans to be completed by 2014

Actually looks a lot like their current coverage map, which isn't surprising given their Network Vision plan.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Lowen SoDium posted:

Screen shot of Sprint's LTE coverage plans to be completed by 2014

Actually looks a lot like their current coverage map, which isn't surprising given their Network Vision plan.

Do any current phones even support their LTE?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

TLG James posted:

Do any current phones even support their LTE?

No, but the Galaxy Nexus is supposed to come out in like 2 weeks, and the HTC ONE X (HTC Evo One?) will probably be out at the start of June. They should both have it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lowen SoDium posted:

No, but the Galaxy Nexus is supposed to come out in like 2 weeks, and the HTC ONE X (HTC Evo One?) will probably be out at the start of June. They should both have it.

Also be all accounts the new iPhone will be LTE.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Galaxy Nexus, iPhone... did you guys already forget about the LG Viper?!

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
My Touch Pro 2 saga is about to come to an end. I just bought a Samsung Nexus S off an old acquaintance; it should be here Monday.

Lessons learned:
1. Under no circumstance should one ever go to an Austin Sprint store to get your phone repaired/replaced/inspected (especially store #419).

2. Sprint stores have all and final say over any device issues. If one rear end in a top hat technician flags your phone as irreparable (called a "DVR"), there is literally nothing anyone can do for you; despite what Sprint Care tells you over the phone.

3. TEP is a joke and one should only enroll during their open enrollment months if they have an already broken phone they want replaced for $100.

If I weren't on a family plan and Sprint weren't so cheap, I'd switch over to Virgin Mobile in a heartbeat.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

MrCodeDude posted:

3. TEP is a joke and one should only enroll during their open enrollment months if they have an already broken phone they want replaced for $100.

Yeah TEP is really starting to annoy me too. In the last 18 months, I went through 5 epics, then they replaced it with an Evo 3d,which I liked, but I kept getting defective ones.

When I had my 3rd defective evo 3d replaced, the store offered to switch me to a photon, but only if I was willing to wait 1-2 weeks, otherwise I had to take another evo 3d. Since I couldn't make or receive calls, I had to take the 3d, But, they told me that if I had to replace it again, they could definitely get me a different phone.

Today, I had to take my 4th evo 3d back because a 1/2" wide strip from top to bottom, in the middle of the screen, stopped responding to touch inputs. This time, I can still use the phone, barely so I'm willing to wait for anything else, But, now nothing else is approved to swap it to. So I'm waiting for yet another refurbed 3d to come in, only now they tell me its going to be purple. Yay.

It is really pissing me off. Getting phones replaced free is nice, but getting defective used phone after defective used phone is really wearing thin.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bigpolar posted:

Yeah TEP is really starting to annoy me too. In the last 18 months, I went through 5 epics, then they replaced it with an Evo 3d,which I liked, but I kept getting defective ones.

When I had my 3rd defective evo 3d replaced, the store offered to switch me to a photon, but only if I was willing to wait 1-2 weeks, otherwise I had to take another evo 3d. Since I couldn't make or receive calls, I had to take the 3d, But, they told me that if I had to replace it again, they could definitely get me a different phone.

Today, I had to take my 4th evo 3d back because a 1/2" wide strip from top to bottom, in the middle of the screen, stopped responding to touch inputs. This time, I can still use the phone, barely so I'm willing to wait for anything else, But, now nothing else is approved to swap it to. So I'm waiting for yet another refurbed 3d to come in, only now they tell me its going to be purple. Yay.

It is really pissing me off. Getting phones replaced free is nice, but getting defective used phone after defective used phone is really wearing thin.

Yeah, this is noticeably an issue right now and it really sucks. The big issue in general is the Evo, Evo Shift, Epic and Evo 3D are ALLLLLL backordered still (meaning orders take 5-7 days at least to fulfill). I got an email today saying they are will be mostly caught up by the end of the weekend, but not completely (in a nutshell). This issue has been there since December for most of these phones, and I would bet money they are rushing phones through the quality check process to try and catch up. And until they catch up, there are no other options to switch users out of.

I have no other solutions beyond ride it out unfortunately. And the Purple is a pretty low key purple. And the Evo Shift is a piece of poo poo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is it common for the Evo3d to just randomly drop the 4g signal? I updated my radios and am running the stock rom. Just... every once in a while it drops the 4g signal no matter how strong, and gives me a 4g radio on! notification. If I tap the notification it immediately finds a tower again and connects just fine, and then 10minutes to an hour later it drops again.

Rinse and repeat. Is this defective or something spring will tell me to GFY on?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tedious_Bastard posted:

You should probably actually own a Galaxy Nexus before saying that people using it are full of poo poo when they bring up real issues.
I'm specifically referring to the "right now is the worst time to buy a phone" as being bunk. The argument the article makes is the same as always, the present class of phones will soon be outclased by hardware twice as powerful. Except (i) this will always be the case, and (ii) at this point the hardware is good enough that it doesn't really matter anymore.

Although perhaps it's true in the case of Sprint phones with LTE looming on the horizon, depending on the present availability and usefulness of WiMAX in one's market.

Tedious_Bastard posted:

Growing pains are for testing and development, not for customers who are dropping $300 a shot and a two year commitment. That's just making GBS threads on your fan base.
By all account the Galaxy Nexus is the worst Android phone of all time (perhaps even worse than the G2x), you have been warned. :v:

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 31, 2012

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

ExcessBLarg! posted:

By all account the Galaxy Nexus is the worst Android phone of all time (perhaps even worse than the G2x), you have been warned. :v:
My Samsung Transform™ disagrees.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

echo465 posted:

My Samsung Transform™ disagrees.

Buy something, anything on Craigslist to replace that horrid phone, then go out back and smash it with a baseball bat. Do it for me.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

Duckman2008 posted:

Buy something, anything on Craigslist to replace that horrid phone, then go out back and smash it with a baseball bat. Do it for me.
Thankfully, I was able to replace it. I had planned to try and scam an upgrade from my Airrave's line, but after my 3rd(?) Transform, I got the phone rep to bump my upgrade up - over a year. This was right after the Evo3D came out, and that's what I replaced it with.

The Evo 3D is the best phone I've ever used. Thanks to the Samsung Transform, I never plan to purchase another Samsung product.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

I may not have won the Mega Millions, but by god I will win the Sprint Datastorm challenge.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gwarm01 posted:

I may not have won the Mega Millions, but by god I will win the Sprint Datastorm challenge.

I've been playing that pretty much every day possible, including getting the second chance to enter using their kind of broken mobile game.

I'm really hoping I win too.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I tried today, but it said Invalid captcha entry.

As there isn't a captcha entry area above the submit button (it just says "Input error: Invalid referer" where I assume the captcha should be) I guess Jesus doesn't want me to win.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

atomicvocabulary posted:

I tried today, but it said Invalid captcha entry.

As there isn't a captcha entry area above the submit button (it just says "Input error: Invalid referer" where I assume the captcha should be) I guess Jesus doesn't want me to win.

That's odd, I've been playing since they started and just finished doing today's two entries and I have never run into a captcha. I don't think they have one on the page. Maybe try reloading the page or try a different browser?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone have a good car mount for the evo 3d that'll attach to a AC vent?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

TLG James posted:

This one is great if you're not looking to spend a lot of money. I bought one two years ago and it finally broke last month so I replaced it with another of the same one. It has been great for my EVO 4G and 3D. It's not as good my Galaxy Nexus though because of the curved shape.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014S5FVQ/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
After a few days of use, I'm really loving the evo 3D. It's the fastest android phone I've ever seen. I'm sure I'll regret saying this in 6 months when something way cooler comes out.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

TLG James posted:

I have this generic one:
http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Universal-Removable-Swivel-Incredible/dp/B003XAF4YQ/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333297890&sr=1-7

Just clip it on with the screen off because it will click the camera button when you first attach the phone.

Guppie
Apr 8, 2010

Pokies?
Soiled Meat

The Entire Universe posted:

Add those numbers to a contact, then set that contact to dump them straight to voicemail.

Interesting, is there anyway to dump "Unavailable" straight to voicemail? At some point my phone number must have gotten onto a list, because sketchy telemarketers/scammers keep calling me (they ignore do-not-call and apparently originate overseas, otherwise I would have pursued it).

Unfortunately, I can't just block all ID "Unavailable" numbers, as I have contacts who have caller-ID blocked (I almost never actually get calls from any of them, but I need to be able to receive messages when they do).

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Does anyone know what's the deal with text messages arriving days later? That's happened to me a couple of times already. (one which involved half of a text coming in days later after the first half)

Any way this is fixable?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

halokiller posted:

Does anyone know what's the deal with text messages arriving days later? That's happened to me a couple of times already. (one which involved half of a text coming in days later after the first half)

Any way this is fixable?

Not really, I've had it happen plenty of times. It can either be issues on Sprint's end or the carrier the other person has. I use google voice which sometimes lets me see texts before they get sent to the phone but that has even failed me.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey Duckman, have you had anybody come back with the Evo3d just randomly dropping the 4g signal despite having excellent coverage and being outside?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Hey Duckman, have you had anybody come back with the Evo3d just randomly dropping the 4g signal despite having excellent coverage and being outside?

People get excellent 4G signal?

(translation: nope. But my store is just outside of 4G).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

People get excellent 4G signal?

(translation: nope. But my store is just outside of 4G).

In Boise I can get full bars of 4g outside and sometimes get better 4g than 3g inside.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

MrCodeDude posted:

My Touch Pro 2 saga is about to come to an end. I just bought a Samsung Nexus S off an old acquaintance; it should be here Monday.

Lessons learned:
1. Under no circumstance should one ever go to an Austin Sprint store to get your phone repaired/replaced/inspected (especially store #419).

2. Sprint stores have all and final say over any device issues. If one rear end in a top hat technician flags your phone as irreparable (called a "DVR"), there is literally nothing anyone can do for you; despite what Sprint Care tells you over the phone.

If I weren't on a family plan and Sprint weren't so cheap, I'd switch over to Virgin Mobile in a heartbeat.

It's DBR not DVR. And someone else can help you it just depends on who you get. I replace DBR phones if I can't find why it was flagged that way in the first place.

Also the only phone worse than the transform is the intercept or the zio. Holy poo poo do they suck. I love android but hate it at the same time because it allows for absolutely terrible phones to exist.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 3, 2012

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Chappy posted:

It's DBR not DVR. And someone else can help you it just depends on who you get. I replace DBR phones if I can't find why it was flagged that way in the first place.

Also the only phone worse than the transform is the intercept or the zio. Holy poo poo do they suck. I love android but hate it at the same time because it allows for absolutely terrible phones to exist.

I gave up and activated the Samsung Nexus S. I wrote a letter to eCare letting them know my displeasure with the handling of the whole situation, but I don't expect anything to come of it outside of a canned response.

I still really miss the TP2's physical keyboard, but other than that, the Nexus S is pretty nice.

The Nexus S 4G does get terrible battery life though and it takes forever to charge (first night it took 6 hours to go 0% to 96% - never got to 100%); no wonder the seller included a second battery. Anyone with a Nexus S 4G, do you know of a hack to make it charge 1A through USB?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

MrCodeDude posted:

I gave up and activated the Samsung Nexus S. I wrote a letter to eCare letting them know my displeasure with the handling of the whole situation, but I don't expect anything to come of it outside of a canned response.

I still really miss the TP2's physical keyboard, but other than that, the Nexus S is pretty nice.

The Nexus S 4G does get terrible battery life though and it takes forever to charge (first night it took 6 hours to go 0% to 96% - never got to 100%); no wonder the seller included a second battery. Anyone with a Nexus S 4G, do you know of a hack to make it charge 1A through USB?

My Nexus S 4g gets very good battery life (I don't have 4g here, so I leave that off). If I don't use it much, I can use it for 2 days off battery, but even with heavy usage (stream music through subsonic for several hours), I always come home with good battery. All I mean to say is, you might have a bad battery.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, this is noticeably an issue right now and it really sucks. The big issue in general is the Evo, Evo Shift, Epic and Evo 3D are ALLLLLL backordered still (meaning orders take 5-7 days at least to fulfill). I got an email today saying they are will be mostly caught up by the end of the weekend, but not completely (in a nutshell). This issue has been there since December for most of these phones, and I would bet money they are rushing phones through the quality check process to try and catch up. And until they catch up, there are no other options to switch users out of.

I have no other solutions beyond ride it out unfortunately. And the Purple is a pretty low key purple. And the Evo Shift is a piece of poo poo.

Thanks for the info. I don't mind waiting for a phone that much, I just wish they could get me a working phone in the first place. 4 defective epics and 4 defective Evo 3d's (so far) is atrocious. Sprints little sweatshop, wherever it is they work on them, just can't seem to repair them worth a drat.

My contact is not up until October, so I'm stuck for the time being, but I am looking into alternatives for then.

For third party extended warranties, like squaretrade, if you exchange a phone through them, does sprint hit you with the new activation fee?

Speaking of them, does anyone here have any experience with squaretrade's extended warranties? I have read they are decent on other products, but not much on their phones. They really seem to advertise for the iphone. I know you have to mail your phone off, but that can't be too much worse than sitting around home with a broken phone.

For that matter, are there any other phone extended warranties out there that anyone can recommend?

For that matter, is Asurion's repair center any better than sprint? Is it worth dropping $100 to get one fixed correctly?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Does Sprint replace the back casing of an E4G if it's a little busted? Mine doesn't click all the way in and it's a little annoying.

I know I could find the clip on Amazon for $4 or so but I'm just curious.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Does Sprint replace the back casing of an E4G if it's a little busted? Mine doesn't click all the way in and it's a little annoying.

I know I could find the clip on Amazon for $4 or so but I'm just curious.

Sprint does not replace that. If that is the one I traded to you, sorry it is starting to have problems :/

bigpolar posted:

Thanks for the info. I don't mind waiting for a phone that much, I just wish they could get me a working phone in the first place. 4 defective epics and 4 defective Evo 3d's (so far) is atrocious. Sprints little sweatshop, wherever it is they work on them, just can't seem to repair them worth a drat.

My contact is not up until October, so I'm stuck for the time being, but I am looking into alternatives for then.

For third party extended warranties, like squaretrade, if you exchange a phone through them, does sprint hit you with the new activation fee?

Speaking of them, does anyone here have any experience with squaretrade's extended warranties? I have read they are decent on other products, but not much on their phones. They really seem to advertise for the iphone. I know you have to mail your phone off, but that can't be too much worse than sitting around home with a broken phone.

For that matter, are there any other phone extended warranties out there that anyone can recommend?

For that matter, is Asurion's repair center any better than sprint? Is it worth dropping $100 to get one fixed correctly?

Absurion is pretty much the same thing.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint does not replace that. If that is the one I traded to you, sorry it is starting to have problems :/

The phone works great still and the charge port wasn't busted (it was the charger itself so I just got a new one).

I'll just toss $3 or whatever for a new back it's no big deal.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Chappy posted:

People wonder why I hate Android so loving much.

I sold phones during the Moment/Hero/Zio/Intercept/Transform era. Selling Android phones is cool, using them is alright I guess, but supporting those piece of shits? Fuuuuuuuck that

Surprisingly, the Optimus S was cool in my book :cool:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MrCodeDude posted:

I also think you've got a bad battery as mine lasts at least 26 hours with heavy use and 2 days with light use.

The battery never will charge to 100%, it's some kind of thing where it stops charging to save you from overcharging or something.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

halokiller posted:

Any way this is fixable?

I had problems like this when I had Google Voice integration enabled. Disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I just realized something. If the rumor about the HTC One X on Sprint are true, it's going to be called the HTc EVO One. That means that every major new phone on Sprint for 3 years run has been called EVO and has had a lower number than the previous year.

EVO 4G
EVO 3D
EVO One