Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

swagger like us posted:

Well maybe thats why, I also tried for ROTP for IntO and they told me there's only a few slots a year. I imagine with DEO there would be more available?

I feel like a loving moron, they offered me Int O after my first year of ROTP, when everyone is land ops. I told them that my three choices were infantry, infantry, or release. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

tuyop posted:

I feel like a loving moron, they offered me Int O after my first year of ROTP, when everyone is land ops. I told them that my three choices were infantry, infantry, or release. :suicide:

Quoted for shame

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

tuyop posted:

Well gently caress. I don't know what to say.

Well, I'm going to get more advice from my BOR staff on putting in CTs. Can my top 3 choices be changed throughout my CT? Also, as I'm not finished my degree yet, can I put in for a CT via DEO before I've officially finished my degree?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

tuyop posted:

Ahahahahhahahahahaha

holy gently caress

you will never live this down.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

tuyop posted:

Did you then drop and give them 10 one handed push ups?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
He's man enough to admit it, a pretty rare quality.

Did my aircrew update medical today, and as usual got all worked up over nothing. I always imagine it's a team of stern, lab-coated doctors measuring me, when in fact it's a no-hook med tech.

I worry most about my eyes because I've had laser surgery twice (I was 19 the first time so it didn't completely take). I guarantee I will be the pilot with the worst natural vision in the history of the air force, but I'm still 20/15 (6/4.5) 4 years after the latest zapping.

But anyone going through that exam office could be 20/15 because the tech has the goddamn "answers" taped to his wall. 6/6 = six letter string, 6/4.5 = six letter string. Holy poo poo. I didn't need to cheat but come on.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Well, pilots cheating on their eye test would explain Yellowknife's city wide blackout last month...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

Well, pilots cheating on their eye test would explain Yellowknife's city wide blackout last month...

It would also explain several friendly fire incidents.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Samu posted:

Explain this one, please.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Explain this one, please.

Griffon clipped some power lines.

Don't worry guys, we still have to do a real eye exam every second year. But non-aircrew could get away with this as long as the sheet of paper was taped to the wall (or until they changed the letters in the eye chart if you memorized the letters).

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
In the spirit of the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812, I give you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JsPIzRsUtlE

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Ruse posted:

In the spirit of the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812, I give you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JsPIzRsUtlE

That looked pretty loving hard.

I thought multicam was operational only for US forces, didn't realize even NG were wearing it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

31 CBG hell yeah

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just got my letter for the reserve regiment I wanted to get into.
I met with the RSM and had an interview.

What other things should I be doing to prepare?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Lift weights and go for a run. Try and get your name in to do your BMQ/SQ/DP1 over the summer. Practice writing your name on stuff. Make sure you have a convincing war face.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Lassitude posted:

Lift weights and go for a run. Try and get your name in to do your BMQ/SQ/DP1 over the summer. Practice writing your name on stuff. Make sure you have a convincing war face.

Learn to fold shirts. Think about buying an iron at some point in the future, but don't actually do it. Buy boot polish. Gaze lustfully at all of the stuff CPGear carries. Buy a knife, or three, and make sure you have them at all times.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Toughen your feet as much as you can. If you take the bus any where try walking it. Just walk as much as you can.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 29, 2012

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What kind of runs should I be doing?

Is it speed or endurance? Should I wear shoes or boots?

I really want to do well in BMQ.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Frosted Flake posted:

Endurance, dont stress it to much. Just try and do some running. The longest run you will do in BMQ is 5-8k. You will start out at like 2k then move up. You dont have to be a PT stud to pass BMQ.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Frosted Flake posted:

If you can walk and not be gasping for breath after 200M you should be A OK

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

get a copy of the beep test, run it as far as you can every day. This will increase your endurance a lot. PT is never ran in boots so don't worry about that. Basic isn't hard, just make sure the instructors know your name and that you volunteer for everything.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Thanks a lot for all the advice guys.
I've been trying to get into this unit since I found out I got into university, I really don't want to be a fuckup. My roommate was 2 RCR but he hates reservists so he hasn't been a lot of help.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Thanks a lot for all the advice guys.
I've been trying to get into this unit since I found out I got into university, I really don't want to be a fuckup. My roommate was 2 RCR but he hates reservists so he hasn't been a lot of help.

This is common with people in the reg force. I know any augmentee we had from 26th Field Rgt. was loving useless. Then we got a 26 year old sergeant from some res unit who held the title of most wingers in the regiment while I was in(might still hold it, it was only 4-5 months ago).

edit: Don't actually volunteer for everything and make yourself known. Blend in, bro.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Some reservists are pieces of poo poo, others are a year away from being in CSOR. It varies a lot. Probably the same as regforce, I guess. Hating reservists out of principle seems fairly retarded though (26-year-old sergeants aside).

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 29, 2012

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lassitude posted:

Some reservists are pieces of poo poo, others are a year away from being in CSOR. It varies a lot. Probably the same as regforce, I guess. Hating reservists out of principle seems fairly retarded though (26-year-old sergeants aside).

Well, there is a whole bias on it due to the fact that reg force trains for this poo poo like it's their job. Mo's on the other hand, only do it for 2 days out of the month if they feel like it/can make it. The main problem with hating reservists is that you can be a master in 3 years if you're remotely competent, while in the reg force it's usually 6-7 years. So that definitely facilitates a huge grudge against reservists. Especially since most gunners could do what some master bombadiers couldn't. However like you said, a lot of reservists are really switched on dudes that can out perform a lot of reg force guys.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

My Spirit Otter posted:

Well, there is a whole bias on it due to the fact that reg force trains for this poo poo like it's their job. Mo's on the other hand, only do it for 2 days out of the month if they feel like it/can make it. The main problem with hating reservists is that you can be a master in 3 years if you're remotely competent, while in the reg force it's usually 6-7 years. So that definitely facilitates a huge grudge against reservists. Especially since most gunners could do what some master bombadiers couldn't. However like you said, a lot of reservists are really switched on dudes that can out perform a lot of reg force guys.

It doesn't help that when I'm on workup/course/tasking I get free room and board whereas reg guys have to pay for a meal plan or what have you.

I've learned a lot about how to deal with toon hate. I accept that it really has a valid basis, especially with leadership. Reserve senior NCOs and Officers are rarely on par with their reg force counterparts, especially without tour experience.

At my level, I've learned to just take the jokes for a bit. Prove what I'm competent at and not talk big. With some guys, it's a good idea to push back a bit and not take their poo poo all the time, they'll start respecting you faster. I can usually put the brakes on things pretty fast with this secret move:
"why don't you just go regs?"
"do you like living in Petawawa?"
"gently caress NO"
"so why should I go regs?"
"GODDAMMIT"

I can do a tour, come home, stay off the radar for months at a time, and start putting the uniform on when I'm ready. I don't have the buddy support of being on a base, but I can take the time to cool off and do another roto when I'm ready.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Well, budget's out. Apparently there are cuts to Forces pensions - I presume we will learn more soon.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
I've always had fun pointing out it was the Militia that won both world wars :canada:.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Barrakketh posted:

I've always had fun pointing out it was the Militia that won both world wars :canada:.
I'd like to see your proof and how you define 'won both world wars'. There is also something to be said about militaries during war time how they were both competent and well staffed. Nowadays the reserves are for people who have better things to do but still want to play military.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
I cringe when I hear 'militia'. I guess I just show up with my own firearms and uniform, unpaid and untrained. Because that's what a militia is.

Also nowadays usually militia means somekind of anti-government white supremacist circle jerk with meth and guns. which is really more like reg force infantry :ssh:

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
There are plenty good reservists and there are also lots of dumbass ones. What I don't get is how somehow people lose any sense of responsibility or forethought. Like how guys were sleeping in their duffel socks in Arctic ram, so people got trench foot. I was literally losing my mind when we kept having to deal with casualties and problems associated with that merry band. It was that leadership being retarded.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Flanker posted:

I cringe when I hear 'militia'. I guess I just show up with my own firearms and uniform, unpaid and untrained. Because that's what a militia is.

That's a pretty accurate state of current affairs. :v:

I guess CISQFT has rubbed off on me. Francophones still call it "la milice" in general parlance.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
That's what I wish the militia was sort of like. I wish we instituted a militia that's primary goal would be to wage guerilla warfare in the event of an invasion, like the Venezuelan or Swiss military's reserves. That'd be more fun to train in than the 50 billionth time i've assaulted a trench.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

That is a terrible idea.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Barrakketh posted:

That is a terrible idea.

Maybe its just cause I like doing OPFOR so much I'd just rather train as OPFOR and do ambushes, and do section attacks in civvie clothes. Plus lets be real here, if we got invaded, what the hell is the Reserves gonna do? 39 Brigade is gonna amalgamate into what, a Rifle company with some armoured recce atts? Get real, we'd be steamrolled.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

swagger like us posted:

Maybe its just cause I like doing OPFOR so much I'd just rather train as OPFOR and do ambushes, and do section attacks in civvie clothes. Plus lets be real here, if we got invaded, what the hell is the Reserves gonna do? 39 Brigade is gonna amalgamate into what, a Rifle company with some armoured recce atts? Get real, we'd be steamrolled.

My understanding is that the purpose of the Reserves is to build up a pool of trained soldiers, not nessicarily to fight as a formation. Most Canadian Brigade Groups are understrength for a NATO Brigade, so it must be an intentional doctrine. All the Brigade Groups have a combined arms team of artillery, light armour and engineering support, which a lot of other militaries' Reserve or Milita formations don't have. It seems like a good system.

I don't know why you'd rather be Fedayeen, this isn't Red Dawn.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 30, 2012

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

swagger like us posted:

That's what I wish the militia was sort of like. I wish we instituted a militia that's primary goal would be to wage guerilla warfare in the event of an invasion, like the Venezuelan or Swiss military's reserves. That'd be more fun to train in than the 50 billionth time i've assaulted a trench.

I can not even wrap my head around this.

Your argument is 'More fun for training'? Seriously?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Well, we're getting a raise anyway - msg DTG 301516Z MAR 12

As usual hard to parse but maybe 3.25%, 1.75% of which is backdated a year. Stuff about severance pay changes too. Also raises to environmental allowances if you get those.

I don't think the pension changes will end up being too terrible and this will still be a (small) net raise in takehome pay. Waiting to see if the PLD shoe will drop, though.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

swagger like us posted:

We're not going to get invaded. That isn't a realistic scenario. The idea is that, if we go to war, reserve units can be activated to fight with regforce units. And I guess in theory reservists are available to assist their local areas with any crisis that arise which require the government to intervene in some capacity. The big ice storm in 1998 comes to mind there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Hizawk posted:

I can not even wrap my head around this.

Your argument is 'More fun for training'? Seriously?

I'm not making a serious argument, relax, I'm just making a joke about how silly and fun playing OPFOR usually is. If you haven't got a chance to wear whatever you want and plant fake IEDs and do ambushes then well I'm sorry, its a lot of fun.

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 31, 2012