Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Thanks for that, its a fighting game so I guess they'll do whatever the hell they want story wise. Stories in fgs are never exactly stellar anyway.

I thought Atlus had EU covered because when I played Catherine there was french on the box/manual. On the other hand, Arcsys has Aksys in the US, but no equivilant in Europe, which is why Europe got shafted on the second blazblue game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Xlyfindel posted:

Thanks for that, its a fighting game so I guess they'll do whatever the hell they want story wise. Stories in fgs are never exactly stellar anyway.

Actually the story and characters are all handled by the people who did P4. The fighting game is canon.

Supposedly the story mode for this is going to be even bigger than BB, so it could be pretty interesting to see what they do with it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dojima was originally planned to be in this game.

Neat!

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

He could've been like Young Joseph and had other command normals mapped to C and D instead. Cool that they had in mind non-playable characters as ideas for dudes being in P4A, though!

skog
Aug 20, 2009
I want this. I want it more than the air I breathe

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

That they decided to put in another overly anime robot girl instead of this makes me sad in pants

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah, Dojima rules and now that we know they considered it I really hope they add him back in before the console release.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

When they announced Elizabeth was going to be in the game I thought there is no way the roster could get any better. Dojima would make it way better. I am already having enough trouble decided what character I want to play though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Finally got to play this for the first time today. Kanji's a lot of fun and it feels great to tag people with his air dive grab. His bread and butter is simple but it does a lot of damage. Holding onto his C attack like Taokaka to counter-hit someone is nice.

Yukiko's also fun, I like how she can hold traps like Boxer holds TAP in Street Fighter. She seems like a pretty cerebral character, even though at the level of play in this arcade just throwing fans and traps out haphazardly was enough.

Naoto seems strong but her bread and butter combo is annoying to mash out and honestly it just doesn't feel fun when I'm doing it over and over compared to the other characters I played (Just Chie, Naoto, Yukiko, and Kanji). Just my opinion though, I'm sure plenty of people will take to her. The girl already on the opposite machine was using her when I got there.

I can't really say much about Chie though.

This was also the first time I ever bought a data card. My title is "Conceited Melon."

Edit: Also I love that you can give your character and your Persona two different palettes.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 24, 2012

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Grozz Nuy posted:

Yeah, Dojima rules and now that we know they considered it I really hope they add him back in before the console release.
Hey man, there's always DLC.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

And here's someone's impressions of Elizabeth, translated by a good dude from Dustloop (Apologizes for me forgetting the handle!):

スコアタやったら13人目にエリザベス出た。
武器は本を持っていて、ペルソナは3のタナトス、
ゲージの上に常にSPアップのマークが出てた。
ガーキャン?の打撃が当たったら本に閉じ込めて状態異常付加メロメロと恐怖を確認
超必は直斗のハマオンみたいなの46000強のダメージ、
あと、棺桶に閉じ込めてタナトスがぶった切る10000強のダメージの二つを確認
リーチは短そう、タナトスは使いやすそうだった。

例によってよくわからんかったが、ゲージは常時ものすごい勢いで回復
棺桶に吸い込むSP技(おそらく覚醒スキル)が投げ判定臭く単発で3ヒット7500ダメージ
あと発動条件は不明だが、チェンジの発声と共に死にかけから一瞬で全快

エリザベス戦のBGMは避けられぬ戦い、か全ての人の魂の戦い、のアレンジがいいなぁ

“Elisabeth is the 13th opponent in the Score Attack mode.
She wields a book, has Thanatos as her Persona, and always has the SP UP mark over her SP gauge.
She has a Guard Cancel-like move when she locks you up in her book and applies fear and “Meromero” (charm, I guess?). This is probably her R-Action.
She also has a super-move that is similar to Naoto’s Hamaon and deals over 46000 damage (huh?).
Another super-move has Thanatos confine you in one of his coffins and cut you up for two hits and 10000 damage (huh??). Its range is short, but is easy to use with Thanatos.
Her SP UP status obviously recovers her SP at extreme pace, so she spams her super-moves often.
Her last super-move, which is probably her Awakening, has her suck you into a coffin and hits you for 7500 damage over 3 hits.
Though the conditions are uncertain, she may avoid dying completely and get a voice change.
Lastly, her BGM is Unavoidable Battle, though it would be cool to have a remix of Battle for Everyone’s Souls as her playable track.”

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LightningKimba posted:

Lastly, her BGM is Unavoidable Battle, though it would be cool to have a remix of Battle for Everyone’s Souls as her playable track.”

So basically she's in unlimited mode.

But this is humorous because this is what I expected her theme to be.

Aksys you let me down :negative:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

As cool of an idea as this is I can't imagine them giving him a practical moveset considering he neither has no persona or real fighting skills beyond "gun".

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

As cool of an idea as this is I can't imagine them giving him a practical moveset considering he neither has no persona or real fighting skills beyond "gun".

His Persona is Nanako and his Tarot is Bad Father

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

His normals are all "Make you feel bad for Nanako" and his persona is all "make you feel even badder for Nanako."

Ultimate finisher is "tell you about his dead wife."

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
This takes place after the events of P4, right? Maybe he awakens to a Persona postgame after finding out about the TV World and then hangs out with the Scooby Gang. Totally plausible, shut up. :colbert:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Grozz Nuy posted:

This takes place after the events of P4, right? Maybe he awakens to a Persona postgame after finding out about the TV World and then hangs out with the Scooby Gang. Totally plausible, shut up. :colbert:

I don't think so he doesn't seem like a persona guy.

I think his persona moves would be Nanako comes out and everyone has to stop fighting in front of her.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Screenshots of Elizabeth and Shadow Labrys

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Some Labrys stuff got uploaded recently, which I'm plenty happy to see, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VFoMbq5sfs

Goddamn is the damage calculation wonky as gently caress. I don't know if there are hidden things like Guts or whatnot outside of Awakening, but I tend to see so much damage variation in similar combos. I really need to see some full system mechanics for this, because it's just odd to see in videos without proper documentation.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
There's probably just move proration (a hit detemrines % of damage in rest of combo) and standard scaling outside of that.

Using Burst 1 more cancel change the proration of your combo so it does more damage.

You do 100% when someone is out of awakening, 66?% when someone is in it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, of course I know about that, I'm talking something more along the lines of guts modifiers at different health ranges, stuff like that. I may be seeing it where it's not there, though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There are a bunch of damage scaling mechanics at work there so I'll try to hit them all...

- Move Proration. Works a lot like GG or BB. Lighter normals, especially lows ones, scale damage harder than heavy ones. So starting a combo from a 2A or 5A means your combo is going to do a lot worse damage than starting from a B or other heavy normal.

- Awakening is the only form of "guts" in this game. It's a hard 62.5% scaling when activated. There are no health ranges other than this. If you are being hit in a combo, it will not activate until you escape from it.

- One More Burst, reverses damage and tech prorating by a little bit. Works pretty much identically to the BB version. Very, very risky, but can give you some crazy strong combos.

- No-Tech scaling. If you don't tech a combo and thus get a 'yellow' combo, damage/tech reverse prorates to some degree. It doesn't seem like that much though.

- Super Scaling? Still not 100% sure on this, but supers might scale damage differently than other things? This is how it was in GG, maybe BB as well? I wouldn't be surprised by other weird rules related to supers, since Yukiko's Fire Boost works differently with Supers than it does with Specials.

- Counter Hit, does not affect scaling, but does an extra 10% damage on the first hit. Fatal Counter does the same, but adds extra hit-stun for the rest of the combo.

- Also worth noting, different characters have different health levels. As examples, Naoto and Yukiko have the worst life at 8.5k, Akihiko has the best life at 10.5k.

- Labrys in specific has an additional form of scaling. Her 'Axe Level' effects how much damage she does, as well as hitstun caused and some other stuff. She has five levels, Grey, Blue, Green, Yellow, Red, in order of weakest to strongest. She builds it up by simply swinging her axe (hit/wiff/block doesn't matter). If you are at Yellow or Red, it will rapidly drain back down to Green.

You can 'bank' in on it by doing one version of her Rush super. This does a completely stupid amount of damage at Red level (see 0:45 in that video), but resets her Axe level back to Grey.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 26, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

- Labrys in specific has an additional form of scaling. Her 'Axe Level' effects how much damage she does, as well as hitstun caused and some other stuff. She has five levels, Grey, Blue, Green, Yellow, Red, in order of weakest to strongest. She builds it up by simply swinging her axe (hit/wiff/block doesn't matter). If you are at Yellow or Red, it will rapidly drain back down to Green.

When you are at Red level, you can 'bank' in on it by doing her Rush super. This does a completely stupid amount of damage (see 0:45 in that video), but resets her Axe level back to Grey.

A-ha! That explains it. Most of the stuff I've seen that bothered me resulted from said Labrys videos. Everything else seemed normal, which was just more confusing.

Still, I like that subsystem she has going. I dunno, I may end up running her after all. A good damage buff is nice to have.

Edit: Reading through the other stuff, it does seem like they're mostly running with the same basic mechanics as BB, which is to be expected. I think there's some stuff with forcing FC, too, but I couldn't really say too much about that with the videos that are out.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 26, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Made a minor correction there to her Axe mechanics there...

Labrys seems really, REALLY good right now. Her Axe level just powers up for doing what you'd normally be doing. Her normals are amazing, her combos build a ton of meter and seem really straight forward. Her R-Action is pretty decent (free combos on CH), as is her Beatdown Rush. Even her Persona skills are pretty good!

S-Alpha posted:

Edit: Reading through the other stuff, it does seem like they're mostly running with the same basic mechanics as BB, which is to be expected. I think there's some stuff with forcing FC, too, but I couldn't really say too much about that with the videos that are out.

The mechanics are kind of half way between BB and GG but also a lot different from either of those. Bursts are like GG in that they recharge, but like BB in that you can use them offensively. Teching is sort of like BB in that you can get OTG relaunched, but like GG in that there are no special teching directions or whatever. Throws are 2 buttons, but much better than BB ones, and there's no "purple" throws or whatever.

On top of that, there's no Faultless Defense variant at all, and there are Rolls, short hops, air turns, Persona Breaks, and all that other new stuff. So it's KIND OF like BB and GG, but also pretty significantly different.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 26, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm sure I'm having a brain fart, but what's FC?

Fatal counter.

Anyways, yeah, after looking at stuff, it seems that all out rushes force FC, even on non-CH combos. Or at least Akihiko's does.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

Fatal counter.

Anyways, yeah, after looking at stuff, it seems that all out rushes force FC, even on non-CH combos. Or at least Akihiko's does. You can see it at 11 minutes into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59q8fsyV0HM

Yup you're correct, if you land the max number of hits on your Beatdown Rush before finishing it, you force a Fatal Counter. That goes for every character.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I so badly want this!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think I'd rather have Adachi. He could even use Dark Izanagi.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I haven't met a good Labrys yet but her damage is just scary, even for bad players...

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Oh right, Spiking, I'm not sure if you would know about this or not, but I hear that some Japanese tier lists were out for this game (Which is a bit weird, since this game hasn't been out in the arcades for a month, but eh.)

Do you know anything about them?, and what do you think of how the cast's ranked, in your opinion?

EDIT: Found a vid of a Japanese player fighting Boss Elizabeth.

Her throw does a different effect depending on what tarot card the opponent comes out of. Devil does mute, for example. Her specials seem to be different elemental versions of the cast's Supers, such as Yukiko's Maragidyne. All of her Supers use Thanatos with her, so I believe it will be a safe bet come April 5th, she'll be heavily reliant on her Persona to fight against foes.
Also Thanatos has a normal that fires a huge beam, which is pretty rad. One of its supers is a grab that, once he has his mitts on the opponent, tosses him into his coffin, then cuts it. Another is healing Elizabeth right back up to full, being Diarahan.

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 29, 2012

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There are a bunch of damage scaling mechanics at work there so I'll try to hit them all...

- Move Proration. Works a lot like GG or BB. Lighter normals, especially lows ones, scale damage harder than heavy ones. So starting a combo from a 2A or 5A means your combo is going to do a lot worse damage than starting from a B or other heavy normal.

God damnit I hate that about arcsys games.

In CS if I started my main Litchi combo with a jab I lose almost 1000 damage from its total.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

LightningKimba posted:

Oh right, Spiking, I'm not sure if you would know about this or not, but I hear that some Japanese tier lists were out for this game (Which is a bit weird, since this game hasn't been out in the arcades for a month, but eh.)

Do you know anything about them?, and what do you think of how the cast's ranked, in your opinion?

Yea I know about those. Its just dudes posting on BBS like us but popular opinion is pretty settled. Theres probably some new stuff to discover but, it would have to be a gamebreaking change or bug to change the tiers as is, since most of what makes the good chars good is just the basics.

Disclaimer I think this game feels a lot like guilty gear in that all of the characters are definitely scary/have powerful situations or areas onscreen. I think there's a big difference between the top and the bottom but I mind that a lot less than in some game where the difference is small but all the characters are Bad.

Most people are saying:

A+ :
Mitsuru.
Her normals are just unreal. And she has combo damage too. That's really it, just solid rear end screen control. FWIW I think Kanji has a decent match against her maybe 5-5 though.

A :
Chie, Yu? Labris?
In my opinion Chie is better because she's got more stupid things. Yu is just solid and good. Both of these guys feel like jojo's chars because they use their persona for pressure a lot. Chie's damage is absolutely retard good in certain conditions. IDK about Labrys yet but this is my guess cause she has some god normals.

B:
Naoto, Kanji, Yosuke, Aegis
All of these chars are quite good but they dont have like the complete game control the A's have. Naoto has a weak DP and low-ish damage but good setups/zoning/scary OHKO. Kanji is probably the scariest grappler i've ever played just by virtue of having a great DP. I wish potemkin had had a DP. But his normals, while good, dont compare to the godlike normals of upper chars. So he can get bullied a bit. Yosuke is fast and has great mixup but his normals are again not retard good also he has low life. He does good damage though. Aegis IDK but most people put her here? she has good damage and can zone I guess and rushdown if she has her flight gauge.

B-:
Akihiko, Teddie
Akihiko has subpar normals and just isn't very scary. His tools are cool individually but don't seem to make a complete package. Teddie is good at zoning but doesn't have damage or mixup and some chars can outzone him IMO. However his unblockable safe super is really loving stupid.

C:
Yukiko
Everyone seems to think she's weaker and I don't really agree but I see the point. I think she's the most likely to move up though. Really unique character. But yeah, she doesn't really have damage, mixup pretty weak, and this is not a game where zoning is strong. And her life is low. Also she's probably in the worst situation of anyone if she gets persona broke and its most likely to happen to her.
Still she has better normals than the B- tier I think, just not much mixup to go with.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Spiking posted:

Yea I know about those. Its just dudes posting on BBS like us but popular opinion is pretty settled. Theres probably some new stuff to discover but, it would have to be a gamebreaking change or bug to change the tiers as is, since most of what makes the good chars good is just the basics.

While you're right about things being pretty settled, I definitely feel like there is a ton left to discover and use in this game. Probably nothing super game changing, but there are a lot of weird things here and there that people aren't really exploring still.

Also being that this is Arcsys, god only knows how many balance tweaks they'll make to the game. They've already done a few for the arcade version.

quote:

B-:
Akihiko, Teddie
Akihiko has subpar normals and just isn't very scary. His tools are cool individually but don't seem to make a complete package. Teddie is good at zoning but doesn't have damage or mixup and some chars can outzone him IMO. However his unblockable safe super is really loving stupid.

Although the funny thing is, Yukiko can 100% ignore this super and any setups related to it by just using Dia, since the super counts as a Projectile and so do all of Teddie's items.

quote:

C:
Yukiko
Everyone seems to think she's weaker and I don't really agree but I see the point. I think she's the most likely to move up though. Really unique character. But yeah, she doesn't really have damage, mixup pretty weak, and this is not a game where zoning is strong. And her life is low. Also she's probably in the worst situation of anyone if she gets persona broke and its most likely to happen to her.
Still she has better normals than the B- tier I think, just not much mixup to go with.

IMO Yukiko definitely has a ton of room to move up in tiers. She has a ton of really good stuff that nobody is using very much yet, and she has some really elaborate and advanced combo potential. People weren't even touching Maragi until recently (at least in videos anyway), and that move looks stupidly good for like, everything.

Definitely agree that her average damage output sucks, but her boosted damage on supers is pretty good. Bonus for the fact that she can combo into and out of all of her supers. She's also one of the few characters who actually has a genuinely decent oki game, and has pretty solid momentum in general.

Actually on that note, Spiking if you are still playing Yukiko, can you check a few things for me? I'd like to know...

- What is her 3D? Is it just the far ranged version of her 2D?
- How do you manually detonate her Maragi? Do you hold->release or do you input->press button?
- Can you OMC her Maragi to give it less recovery?
- If you use Fire Break and then EX Agi, do both fireballs become unblockable? Stagger the release of them so you can actually tell, ie do 236A+{B}, }B{
- Is Agidyne effected by Fire Break, and if so, does she have any solid blockstrings into it? Maybe just 2C Agidyne?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 30, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of Naoto, this is something interesting I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYWkXlc5scc
(Specifically, 8 minutes, 21 seconds in)

Look at the damage off of that loving kick. I guess she certainly earned that Hazama color.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx4AGXIwM5w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaebBCbAOkU

Official site gameplay examples of Elizabeth. Her theme's Battle Hymn of the Soul.

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 2, 2012

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmAZl0Ndo9k Speaking of some Elizabeth :pwn:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Here's just the instant kill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN0afePxuo0&feature=relmfu
Disappointing it doesn't involve the Pixie, but it's still the 9,999 Megidoloan.

Edit: And that'll teach me to refresh a page first before posting anything.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I knew she was going to have Slayer's lose pose thing. It just makes sense.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Am I missing something more, or did Elizabeth just spend 50 meter....just to get into Awakening with blue life, part of which is getting 50 free meter? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Edit: I realize this is pretty much exactly what you said, so yes I think you are right. :I

Looks to me though, like a super that forces her lifebar down to Awakening level in blue life. So it's technically free (since you get +50SP when you enter Awakening) and you get access to your Awakening supers and you get your reduced damage. It also looks instantaneous so I guess it might work like a free cancel for combos.

Seems kind of high risk, but might be really useful if you could find the right combo setup.

I'm guessing based on her EX move damage and constantly recharging SP bar that Elizabeth is intended to be the Robo-Ky or Hakumen of this game.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 2, 2012

• Locked thread