Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I'd still donate or do a membership drive regardless, considering the over 316 hours of shows.
You're already welcome to - donate buttons are right on the merch page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
These guys deserve donations more than almost any other podcast I listen to. However I must say they have not really been on top of managing their merchandise properly and there's been frequent shipping problems, partly due to them being uncompromising in the quality and thereby limiting their suppliers. I think perhaps there's a definite element of them not wanting to turn this into a job. Much of what we love about the boys is what also causes their money issues.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Binowru posted:

You might like "Who Charted?" on Earwolf. Howard Kremer has sort of a Seth kind of vibe, and he has a great repertoire with his co-host Kulap.

This is one of the craziest comparisons I've ever heard

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Cast No Engine posted:

This is one of the craziest comparisons I've ever heard

Well, they're both vegetarians and they have a tendency to make up words. That's about it, I guess.

Also I meant to say "repartee" instead of "repertoire."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Honestly I've listened to tons and tons of podcasts and I've never found one that was quite like UYD. It's probably the most unique one out there.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Al! posted:

Honestly I've listened to tons and tons of podcasts and I've never found one that was quite like UYD. It's probably the most unique one out there.

They're also one of the few podcasts that rarely if ever interact with the other podcasts in LA. It seems like everyone else has been on everyone else's podcast.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
They've been on Jordan Jesse Go but I'm not sure if they've been on anything else.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

The clips on Seth's Corner are blowing my mind right now.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009
Someone needs to contact Jonathan about starting up a kickstarter fund, to like expand their merch, their tech and maybe the costs of the voicemail server etc. I know the donate button is already there, but hey, Kickstarter is popular so why not give that a whirl.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I got my New Zealander friend hooked on the show after showing him some Youtube clips, he's up to the 70's now. Success!

SullivanPRIME posted:

Someone needs to contact Jonathan about starting up a kickstarter fund, to like expand their merch, their tech and maybe the costs of the voicemail server etc. I know the donate button is already there, but hey, Kickstarter is popular so why not give that a whirl.

I like that idea.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I don't really eat foods unless it comes in a pouch and somewhere on it, it says "holla".

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Dr.Radical posted:

They've been on Jordan Jesse Go but I'm not sure if they've been on anything else.

Guys if you felt a strong wind just now, it was my wake as I downloaded this the instant I found out. Holy poo poo.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Bobby Malone posted:

I don't really eat foods unless it comes in a pouch and somewhere on it, it says "holla".

I never paid any mind to the part of the front page that says "Don't Sleep on These Links" but today I realized they're all relevant to the current episode. That's where I found that pic. (I love how she's not looking anywhere near the soup.)

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

x!te bike posted:

The clips on Seth's Corner are blowing my mind right now.

That poo poo is pure zen mindfuckery. I love it

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

They're also one of the few podcasts that rarely if ever interact with the other podcasts in LA. It seems like everyone else has been on everyone else's podcast.

Aren't most of the LA podcasts members of the comedy community? My brother took me to the Largo taping last month and he remarked that it was a different crowd than what you'd see at most of the other podcast tapings.

I hope somehow the LA Magazine article gets posted somewhere.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Haha OK usually I don't really care too much about the occasional static issues they've been having but this most recent episode is kind of ridiculous. And I love that they keep name-dropping the mic manufacturer; all I know is I'm never buying a Lou Perlman mic :v:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Haha, Seth's rant about how they should just give him a Chevy Silverado because what does it matter is awesome.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
"I've only lost three things in my life. My Red Sox hat at Lollapalooza, that truck, and my umbrella at the Chinese Theater. Wait, four, I guess. My mind, when I got sober. No chance I'm getting that back. Might get the truck back, though. Maybe."

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

In the pit!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I can't get over how hilariously bad/awesome the This Week in Florida intro jingle is in earlier episodes.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
These guys have never stopped being funny but the last 20 eps or so have been really on point

I busted out laughing during the "out of control kid" bit in ep 315

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Amir borrowed my tenga and hosed up one of the nibs.

I seriously gotta stop listening to this show while I'm working.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Song For The Deaf posted:

"I've only lost three things in my life. My Red Sox hat at Lollapalooza, that truck, and my umbrella at the Chinese Theater. Wait, four, I guess. My mind, when I got sober. No chance I'm getting that back. Might get the truck back, though. Maybe."

Haaaaaa! That loving truck!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Air Julio posted:

Amir borrowed my tenga and hosed up one of the nibs.

I seriously gotta stop listening to this show while I'm working.

I saved this week's episode to enjoy while donating blood. I got to the Tenga part during peak lightheadedness and was worried I'd start laughing way too hard for the blood drive staff.

"Uhh Yeah Dude: Nibs, gabs, joobs, bobs and libs. That's a crazy vag!"

Binowru posted:

That's so much worse than I could have even imagined.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Cervixalot posted:

I can't get over how hilariously bad/awesome the This Week in Florida intro jingle is in earlier episodes.

So, in florida this week - What happened in florida this week?

Thiiisss weeeek in flooo-ooo riii duhhhhh

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
New listener, and Loving the gently caress out of the most recent podcasts. How does the back log quality hold up? Is it worth starting at #1?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

causticBeet posted:

New listener, and Loving the gently caress out of the most recent podcasts. How does the back log quality hold up? Is it worth starting at #1?

I worried about that but recently started listening to the mid 70's just to hear them first discover craigslist, and they are better if anything.

fried eggs
Apr 4, 2007
with ketchup
It's pretty consistently great, I think the best era is 150-200 where they're like completely losing their minds about the economy/society/technology, but It's all worth hearing IMO.

What I did is start from #1 but also listen to the new ones as they're released.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Eltoasto posted:

I worried about that but recently started listening to the mid 70's just to hear them first discover craigslist, and they are better if anything.

Sounds perfect, thanks. Any specific episode in the 70's with Craigslist stuff? I can only imagine how great it is (until I'm out of class and can grab that poo poo).

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Look up their Youtube channel, some of the best Craigshaüs bits are in the episodes they filmed (like 125-129 I think).

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

The backlog is just as good if not better than the new episodes. If you like this show at all it's really a worthwhile thing to do.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The only real difference between a 2006 episode and a current one is which TV shows and celebs they're discussing. The freeform structure and easy back-and-forth was there from pretty much day one.

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012
Episodes 1-80 are easily the best in my ears. UYD is known for its consistent quality and it's always funny but the earlier episodes are on a whole different level for me. You'll be doing yourself a huge favor if you go all the way back.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

causticBeet posted:

Sounds perfect, thanks. Any specific episode in the 70's with Craigslist stuff? I can only imagine how great it is (until I'm out of class and can grab that poo poo).

I highly recommend starting from the beginning as well. After picking up the podcast a year or two ago, I cherry picked in the 70s and 100s for awhile. I recently started over from 1 and its so much better. Takes them a few to get the rhythm going, but it is totally worth it.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

causticBeet posted:

They had their voice basically right from the start. I think because they worked out the kinks on 4 "lost" episodes which didn't air until much later.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Also as people said there are running jokes literally arcing years over. I'm pretty sure Seth still talks about his adopted black grandchild Jeff (episode 88?)

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

big business sloth posted:

Also as people said there are running jokes literally arcing years over. I'm pretty sure Seth still talks about his adopted black grandchild Jeff (episode 88?)

The 3 UYD interns get mentioned in the first 20 or so episodes as well. Other little running gags are great, like Seth getting really annoyed at Jonathan's use of "whilst" in early episodes.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Oh, and the "Do you know who I saw together today...? Just laughin' and slappin'"

and you can't miss This Week In Florida

widunder
May 2, 2002

big business sloth posted:

Even way back, I listened to that episode today, 39 or like 40.

E: Also, To Catch A Predator, possibly the greatest UYD segment apart from Jahnathan's poetry, Whooo am I, Seth's diary and Craigslist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I was hesitant to start from 1 as well, but once you're a few in you'll be upset there's only 300 left. I'd say that episode 1 is a bit lacklustre and the next couple are just good, but if you stick through once you get to like 4/5 they're exactly the same as now.