Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

LastInLine posted:

User-definable grid size and number of homescreens come to mind. Hide icon labels, make all widgets resizable, and swipe actions would be more.

You're describing LauncherPro so far, anything else? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

You're describing LauncherPro so far, anything else? :v:
It works on 4.0.x ROMs which LP doesn't?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Didn't realize it didn't. Makes sense, though, given the OS overhaul and LPP's abandonment.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Ten seconds on XDA led me to this. As far as I can tell, it doesn't work in any ICS ROM for the EVO 4G. I assume you're talking about the 4G and not the 3D.

I assumed that was the case, thanks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What's the deal with people downrating games for having OpenFeint as some kind of crazy malware? What story did I miss?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If I rated things, I'd do that. I hate Openfeint and it's intrusive.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I like Another World's approach to it, where it says "Do you want to run it", and you can pick now and never heard of it again.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 30, 2012

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

SpacePig posted:

I like Another World's approach to it, where it says "Do you want to run it", and you can pick now and never heard of it again.

That's how pretty much every OF-enabled game I've played does it. The first time you launch the game it asks you whether you want to use OF, and if you select "no" it never asks you again. I've never found it to be a particular annoyance.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Can anyone that's running Wave Launcher tell me if it's launchable from the lock screen?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

moms pubis posted:

That's how pretty much every OF-enabled game I've played does it. The first time you launch the game it asks you whether you want to use OF, and if you select "no" it never asks you again. I've never found it to be a particular annoyance.

How many people just mash yes until their game starts though? :v:

Google Music has developed a new annoying trick: it says it's playing one song but actually plays another, like its database is corrupted. So glad I uploaded all that marketing data music! Is there a way to fix it, or even better, an app that will play music from the cloud until I can get a bigger SD card?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The new version of DoubleTwist can recognise music downloaded by Google Music. DoubleTwist is an awful player, but this is good news if other players decide to implement this. I have no problem keeping music around just as a downloader app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Google Music has developed a new annoying trick: it says it's playing one song but actually plays another, like its database is corrupted. So glad I uploaded all that marketing data music! Is there a way to fix it, or even better, an app that will play music from the cloud until I can get a bigger SD card?

Have you tried clearing Play Music's cache and data?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to upgrade from an Eris (2.1) to a Galaxy Nexus. However, I will club baby seals if I don't have a Swype or Swype clone app on the GN.

Currently I'm using Shapewriter on the Eris, but neither it nor Swype are in the Android market. How can I get this app onto the Galaxy Nexus? Preferably without rooting the Eris, because I am convinced I would break something...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Defenestration posted:

I'm about to upgrade from an Eris (2.1) to a Galaxy Nexus. However, I will club baby seals if I don't have a Swype or Swype clone app on the GN.

Currently I'm using Shapewriter on the Eris, but neither it nor Swype are in the Android market. How can I get this app onto the Galaxy Nexus? Preferably without rooting the Eris, because I am convinced I would break something...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

Can anyone that's running Wave Launcher tell me if it's launchable from the lock screen?

The answer is no.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Box is a dropbox-like storage system that is supposed to allow streaming music and movies

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I just got a Motorola Xoom, and I'm looking for some apps.

I need app(s) that can allow me to edit PDF's, kinda like adobe PDF on the computer. I also need a app that will allow me to edit microsoft office formats. I need to be able to view/edit .xls, and other microsoft formats.

Also, is there a app that will allow me to print on my home printer, connected to a printer? Atlas, the printer is not wireless.

And for the last question, what's the best site to look up android apps online? Thanks goons!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Defenestration posted:

You may find that the ICS keyboard+larger and higher Res screen may make Swype unnecessary.

I'm jealous of the glorious experience you're about to have coming from an Eris to a GNex.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

You may find that the ICS keyboard+larger and higher Res screen may make Swype unnecessary.

I'm jealous of the glorious experience you're about to have coming from an Eris to a GNex.
Swype on the Galaxy Nexus is wonderful and I won't have you besmirching it. :colbert:

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

scanlonman posted:

I also need a app that will allow me to edit microsoft office formats. I need to be able to view/edit .xls, and other microsoft formats.
I like Quickoffice, but here's a comparison to different office suites: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1017187

scanlonman posted:

Also, is there a app that will allow me to print on my home printer, connected to a printer? Atlas, the printer is not wireless.
Check out Google Cloud Print if you use Chrome, or PrinterShare if you don't.

scanlonman posted:

And for the last question, what's the best site to look up android apps online? Thanks goons!
I just browse play.google.com on my computer and read this thread, so I'm probably missing a few recommendations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Peppersmith posted:

Check out Google Cloud Print if you use Chrome, or PrinterShare if you don't.

Speaking of Google Cloud Print, did they just remove this from Google Docs on the phone when they updated the UI? I can't figure out how to use it anymore.

Found it, it's available if you change to Web View.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there something that will make group messaging work on my Atrix 4G (AT&T) like it does on iPhones? I get a message from the sender, and individual messages from people responding and no way to reply to the whole group. I'm using Cyanogenmod 7.2 if that makes any difference. It is a pretty annoying problem to have.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

I never had a problem typing without shapewriter, it was just so amazingly better with.

Right now my Eris is out of memory (I can't transfer anything to the SD card because it's not rooted), not pushing my Gmails, and takes a good 30 seconds to initiate any phone call. It is 2 years and 3 months old.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Defenestration posted:

I never had a problem typing without shapewriter, it was just so amazingly better with.

Right now my Eris is out of memory (I can't transfer anything to the SD card because it's not rooted), not pushing my Gmails, and takes a good 30 seconds to initiate any phone call. It is 2 years and 3 months old.

That phone was slow, buggy garbage when it came out, I have NO idea how you lasted over 2 years with it. God bless you.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there something that will make group messaging work on my Atrix 4G (AT&T) like it does on iPhones? I get a message from the sender, and individual messages from people responding and no way to reply to the whole group. I'm using Cyanogenmod 7.2 if that makes any difference. It is a pretty annoying problem to have.

I've never used it because I don't like Handcent, but I noticed while browsing the 'trending' section of the Play Store that Handcent has a Group SMS addon that might do what you want.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

That phone was slow, buggy garbage when it came out, I have NO idea how you lasted over 2 years with it. God bless you.
Easy, it was my first smartphone.

Glorks!
May 4, 2005
Too lazy to browse my hard drive for good avatars since 2007.
The camera app on my Droid 3 is sllllloooooooooooowwwwww and it crashes about 1 in every 5 times I open it.

Would replacing it be possible? I don't know if camera apps are device-specific, I don't know if the crashing/slowness is a hardware or driver problem, I don't really know anything. I just know asking my super wacky friends to hold their hilarious poses with silly hats for up to a minute or two at a time just so I can take a picture that the flash inevitably washes out is really, really annoying and not worthy of the glory that is my facebook page.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Glorks! posted:

The camera app on my Droid 3 is sllllloooooooooooowwwwww and it crashes about 1 in every 5 times I open it.

I don't know if this will help you, but there are lots of camera apps out there. I typically still use the default camera app, but I like Vignette enough to have paid 4 bucks for it.

Vignette Demo (free)
Vignette Paid Version

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Swype on the Galaxy Nexus is wonderful and I won't have you besmirching it. :colbert:

Hah.

I haven't actually tried it on the GNex yet. I eventually went back to stock keyboard on my N1 just because I didn't feel like I was getting any benefit out of Swype. But I'll definitely try it out again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Hah.

I haven't actually tried it on the GNex yet. I eventually went back to stock keyboard on my N1 just because I didn't feel like I was getting any benefit out of Swype. But I'll definitely try it out again.
Actually this current version isn't the greatest they've ever done, maybe wait until it receives a little attention.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I know this has been discussed, but what's everyone's favorite SMS to desktop app? I used to really like Texdro, but I can't access their site to download the software. I tried Mighty Text and DeskSMS, but both of them seemed to have a pretty bad delay between my phone receiving it and it showing up on my pc.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

XIII posted:

I know this has been discussed, but what's everyone's favorite SMS to desktop app? I used to really like Texdro, but I can't access their site to download the software. I tried Mighty Text and DeskSMS, but both of them seemed to have a pretty bad delay between my phone receiving it and it showing up on my pc.

Browsertext has been pretty popular in this thread lately. I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

I've got my own common request: an RSS reader. I've been using FeedR for quite some time and I'm pretty happy with it, except that rotation can't be set to just follow the rotation setting of the device; it's independent. I also don't think it's really being developed anymore. I tried GoodNews and liked it fairly well except it didn't handle a few feeds well (a gif tumblr and the Sharing Machine sites, to name a few). I also tried Google Reader, but I like reading by feed on my phone and couldn't figure out how to get it to do that. Any suggestions? The ability to show alt-text would be awesome.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Is there an app that lets me use my android device as a super-lovely security camera?

Basically I want to set it down in a corner, on a charger, and have it stay awake and start recording when the camera picks up movement.

This is for a thing I'm doing for a friend, so I'm not worried about someone taking the phone.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Is there an app that will let me access files on my computer and view them on my phone? Specifically PDF files, and flash games that I have saved.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Oppenheimer posted:

Is there an app that will let me access files on my computer and view them on my phone? Specifically PDF files, and flash games that I have saved.

You could always just use dropbox and you can then access said files from anywhere on any computer you choose or your phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Oppenheimer posted:

Wyse Pocketcloud Explore
You can view, download, rename, and delete files remotely. Unfortunately you can't copy and paste files from one folder to another remotely and I'm still looking for an app that I can do that with.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

hooah posted:

I also tried Google Reader, but I like reading by feed on my phone and couldn't figure out how to get it to do that. Any suggestions? The ability to show alt-text would be awesome.

What do you mean "reading by feed?" There's also Feedly, Taptu, and Pulse.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

az jan jananam posted:

What do you mean "reading by feed?" There's also Feedly, Taptu, and Pulse.

I mean being able to look at all the items from one feed at a time, rather than everything all at once in chronological order. I tried Pulse on my tablet and didn't like... something about it. I don't really remember what it was anymore since it was a while ago. I'll try those ones.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

hooah posted:

I mean being able to look at all the items from one feed at a time, rather than everything all at once in chronological order. I tried Pulse on my tablet and didn't like... something about it. I don't really remember what it was anymore since it was a while ago. I'll try those ones.
What version of Google Reader doesn't let you do this? I have it on ICS and it works fine per feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Looking for a app that will allow me to edit a .PDF's text fields, but mirror them to another form on the .PDF.

What I have setup on my PC is a 4 page PDF. They all are the same text fields, and when I enter on one field, it automatically fills in the other fields on the other 3 PDFs.

Is this possible on android?

• Locked thread