Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The Macrumors buyers guide says to not buy an iMac right now, because new ones are incoming. Just curious, are there any upcoming Apple events where they would probably be announcing these new iMacs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
Aside from their developer conferences (June-ish), Apple usually only gives about a week's warning before they throw an event.

If the new Macs don't do something big like retina displays or new form factors, they'll probably just be quietly updated, without being the focus of an event.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

microwave casserole posted:

Aside from their developer conferences (June-ish), Apple usually only gives about a week's warning before they throw an event.

If the new Macs don't do something big like retina displays or new form factors, they'll probably just be quietly updated, without being the focus of an event.

Hmmm okay, thanks for that. I'll hold off for a month or two then and see if any more rumours pop up!

I'm at that stage where I'm suddenly REALLY antsy to buy a computer, but it's obviously a dumb idea to run out and do it when a new model is incoming.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

triplexpac posted:

The Macrumors buyers guide says to not buy an iMac right now, because new ones are incoming. Just curious, are there any upcoming Apple events where they would probably be announcing these new iMacs?

They're most likely waiting for Intel's Ivy Bridge to be officially released, so it should be sometime in April.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm thinking they'll also remove the optical drive on the iMac with the update. Though part of me wishes they'd leave it alone since it's not like the iMac doesn't have the space for it. They don't have to keep making it thinner. And make it easier to replace the hard drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm thinking they'll also remove the optical drive on the iMac with the update. Though part of me wishes they'd leave it alone since it's not like the iMac doesn't have the space for it. They don't have to keep making it thinner. And make it easier to replace the hard drive.

I would see them keeping it - I imagine the iMac is a TV replacement for some people.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Just idle speculation, but I think they'd wait on that until a full refresh of the mechanical design. Not like it'll make more room for a larger battery or something.

Not sure what Retina displays people are expecting either; the 27" is already at a very good resolution for the size. Would be interesting if they found a source for >1080p 21" panels though. I think they'll just get some Ivy Bridge love and general GPU/etc refresh.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

movax posted:

Just idle speculation, but I think they'd wait on that until a full refresh of the mechanical design. Not like it'll make more room for a larger battery or something.

Not sure what Retina displays people are expecting either; the 27" is already at a very good resolution for the size. Would be interesting if they found a source for >1080p 21" panels though. I think they'll just get some Ivy Bridge love and general GPU/etc refresh.

Text on the iMac looks horrible compared to the new iPad. I really hope they make the full retina move fast.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

I think they want to go thinner. Look for a move to 2.5" drives on iMacs to cut down on bulk as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

what would 27" resolution be at a MBA-like 135ppi?

After getting Lasik my 21" iMac is all pixelly

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Star War Sex Butt posted:

I think they want to go thinner. Look for a move to 2.5" drives on iMacs to cut down on bulk as well.

Ugh, it better be SSDs only or the iMac is going to seem like a slow piece of rear end. Which is exactly how my brand new MBP 13" felt until the SSD upgrade.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

what would 27" resolution be at a MBA-like 135ppi?
Probably something like 3072x1728.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So is there a way to use the Thunderbolt port as a Display Port input from an external source on the current iMacs? It's the only thing keeping me from upgrading :\

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

So is there a way to use the Thunderbolt port as a Display Port input from an external source on the current iMacs? It's the only thing keeping me from upgrading :\
Not that I know of. Closest thing I can think of is this video capture box (which wouldn't be the same thing functionally of course), and that's only up to HDMI, doesn't seem to be on sale yet either.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
My apartment flooded and I need a new MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, the insurance claims adjuster hasn't gotten ahold of me yet and I NEED a Mac laptop for work purposes.

If I was to purchase a MacBook Pro today, how long do I have to trade it in for a new version if one is released? 1 month? I want the rumored next revision of the MacBooks everyone is saying will come next month but I do NEED a laptop right now as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

My apartment flooded and I need a new MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, the insurance claims adjuster hasn't gotten ahold of me yet and I NEED a Mac laptop for work purposes.

If I was to purchase a MacBook Pro today, how long do I have to trade it in for a new version if one is released? 1 month? I want the rumored next revision of the MacBooks everyone is saying will come next month but I do NEED a laptop right now as well.

14 days at the Apple store, I think. Best Buy would let you within 30 days

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

14 days at the Apple store, I think. Best Buy would let you within 30 days
Does the Apple store have a 14 day no questions asked 100% return policy on open computers? I could always just do that then repurchase. I only really need it for the next week then I could wait until the next revision.

I'm trying to use Migration Assistant to bring the stuff from my Time Machine backup to one of those hackintosh VMs running on my desktop first... Need my files for a project I'm launching :(

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

ashgromnies posted:

Does the Apple store have a 14 day no questions asked 100% return policy on open computers? I could always just do that then repurchase. I only really need it for the next week then I could wait until the next revision.

I'm trying to use Migration Assistant to bring the stuff from my Time Machine backup to one of those hackintosh VMs running on my desktop first... Need my files for a project I'm launching :(

It just can't be physically damaged to return.

jihad_jain
May 8, 2011
I noticed today that my mid-2007 macbook has a swollen battery.

what're the chances they'll flat out replace it for free if i just show up at the apple store tomorrow?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
You might get lucky but I wouldn't expect a free replacement.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

FlashBangBob posted:

Works for me. Went and grabbed an 11" Air because my VM wouldn't detect the keyboard when the startup script ran.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Text on the iMac looks horrible compared to the new iPad. I really hope they make the full retina move fast.

I just don't know what they can do, though. The most affordable "high-resolution" for consumers/prosumers is 2560x1600 @ 30" or so (U3011, HP ZR30W, etc), followed by the 27" class and 2560x1440. I feel like information would have leaked very quickly if a panel manufacturer somewhere was spinning up higher-resolution panels for mass-production (via academic professors/grad student network, industry network, etc, someone would have heard something).

It would be awesome if there was a secret high-resolution panel in the works, but it would be incredibly expensive for the GPU hardware to power gaming at those resolutions. The GTX 680/Radeon 7990 are needed to push the latest games at >1080p resolution with eye-candy on.

Moving to 2.5" drives/making thinner makes sense though I suppose, thinner is always sexy.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

jihad_jain posted:

what're the chances they'll flat out replace it for free if i just show up at the apple store tomorrow?

Why would you expect Apple to replace a 5 year old consumable item for you for free?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

I just don't know what they can do, though. The most affordable "high-resolution" for consumers/prosumers is 2560x1600 @ 30" or so (U3011, HP ZR30W, etc), followed by the 27" class and 2560x1440. I feel like information would have leaked very quickly if a panel manufacturer somewhere was spinning up higher-resolution panels for mass-production (via academic professors/grad student network, industry network, etc, someone would have heard something).

It would be awesome if there was a secret high-resolution panel in the works, but it would be incredibly expensive for the GPU hardware to power gaming at those resolutions. The GTX 680/Radeon 7990 are needed to push the latest games at >1080p resolution with eye-candy on.

Moving to 2.5" drives/making thinner makes sense though I suppose, thinner is always sexy.

It's not likely but I think that Sharp and Foxconn just made some big deal, maybe they're going to do something cool.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

movax posted:

Does Apple really give a poo poo about gaming? I would guess "not on the Mac".

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FlashBangBob posted:

I got hit with a 10% restock fee when I made a return, because it was open. I even bought a new product.

jihad_jain posted:

0%

You might get a free replacement battery out of it though. A Genius will look at it and decide.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 1, 2012

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I got hit with a 10% restock fee when I made a return, because it was open. I even bought a new product.

Really? The salesperson told me specifically there's no restocking fee. Sounds like someone took your money for fun.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 1, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The no restocking fee thing is relatively new. Sometime in the past 12 to 18 months.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
Best Buy is probably your best BET. 30 day return, no restocking fee, and 45 day return window if you're a "Premiere Silver" member.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I made genius appointments with 3 area stores for a swollen battery in a single day. 1 didn't look at it, 2 replaced it for free, so I cancelled #3.

Try your luck and be nice and patient!

jihad_jain
May 8, 2011
they didn't replace it for free, but my mom ended up buying that computer anyways. i bought a refurb while i was in the store and called later to upgrade my shipping which they did for free, so good day overall.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Are any Air-only users doing anything particularly clever with regards to storage and managing large media directories? NAS? iTunes Match?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Are any Air-only users doing anything particularly clever with regards to storage and managing large media directories? NAS? iTunes Match?

I have iTunes match and a Mac Mini in the bedroom with two hard drives attached, All media is kept on the Mini'sinternal hdd. One external is a Time Machine drive set up so all the laptops in the house can backup wirelessly. The other external is just extra storage.

I love having an always on desktop in the house for storing content to stream to appletv or other devices. It's also a device I can control with Screen Sharing so I can tell it to start large torrents or downloads when I'm not home, and I don't have to worry about interrupting transfers when I close my laptop.

Having a second computer is almost necessary I think. I couldn't imagine doing everything I do on just my 11'' air

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 1, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My 2009 MBP has started to get absolutely blazing hot while charging recently. Also, my battery life has been pretty poo poo as of late.

Is it just time for a new battery or could it be something with the charger?

E: Also, It gets just as hot in sleep mode while charging. It actually gets hot enough that it hurts to touch sometimes.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I keep my movies on an external USB hard drive. Just hold the option key while dragging the file into your iTunes window, and it will keep the original file in its place (ie. folder on external drive) while adding it to your iTunes library. This way, iTunes continues managing my music, copying those files to my music library folder, and all that, but movies remain external.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My router lets me plug in a USB drive and makes network shares available both from within, and outside the network.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

SupahCoolX posted:

I keep my movies on an external USB hard drive. Just hold the option key while dragging the file into your iTunes window, and it will keep the original file in its place (ie. folder on external drive) while adding it to your iTunes library. This way, iTunes continues managing my music, copying those files to my music library folder, and all that, but movies remain external.

Hot poo poo, learn something new every day. I think I need to just try holding option for everything I do at least once to find out the hidden features that I don't even know are there.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I never know which thread is the appropriate one for Apple Airport Extreme questions, so if it's not this one, feel free to yell at me and I'll run away crying.

Recently our Airport has been acting up. It will completely drop everything from wifi (to the point where my MacBook Air can't even find the Airport in Airport Utility), but then everything will reconnect. Once I downgraded my Airport Utility to the more functional 5.6 version (which allows me to look at logs), I see that shortly after it comes back to life, the logs say "Initialized (firmware 7.5.2)." as the first thing in the logs, with a very recent timestamp.

This leads me to believe the device is rebooting itself. A lot. I haven't observed the light doing anything other than staying green, though, which is weird.

I had been at the current firmware level, 7.6.1, but tried downgrading in case that was part of the issue (I remembered updating the firmware not all that long ago, so I figured it was worth testing), but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. I'm confident that the issue isn't on the client side, since I've personally observed an iPad, MacBook Air and Windows 7 PC all dropping at the same time.

The support site says that I'm still covered under "Repairs and Service", but when I try to "Set Up a Repair", the website just hangs indefinitely. I'm not even sure what's involved, since I've never had to get repair service before. I guess I'm just looking for a bit of guidance... should I keep trying the website? Is this something an Apple Store would handle? Am I going about this entirely the wrong way?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

brc64 posted:

Is this something an Apple Store would handle?
I imagine so. If my AEBS were doing that and still under warranty, I'd probably just march in and ask for a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I imagine so. If my AEBS were doing that and still under warranty, I'd probably just march in and ask for a replacement.

Thanks. I'm still fairly new to the Apple world, and this is the first time I've ever had a potential repair issue. I'll take it in and see what they tell me. Already exported my configuration, so hopefully setting a new one back up will be a breeze.