Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I've been happy as heck with my Rizoma poo poo, the anodizing is so...blue.

The only reason I'm leaning towards Pazzo is they powder coat white, so I can have white levers and blue clickers. Why, yes, I am a huge gay Italian motorcycle owner, why do you ask?

edit: This is a horrible new page post, I am so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Mcqueen posted:

I've been happy as heck with my Rizoma poo poo, the anodizing is so...blue.

The only reason I'm leaning towards Pazzo is they powder coat white, so I can have white levers and blue clickers. Why, yes, I am a huge gay Italian motorcycle owner, why do you ask?

edit: This is a horrible new page post, I am so sorry.

If you were a true italiaista you'd get them in green white and red. :colbert:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I switched my stock Vino handlebars (front) for ones from a Chinese clone (rear, duh). The clone sat outside for like 8 years so I figured if it was going to rust, it would have already. It's not a huge difference, but I do like the change in seating position this brought about.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

deliverator posted:

What a logistics hassle. Park the bike out of the way, pop out the battery, walk home, get my jeep, drive to buy a new battery, go home and charge it a couple hours, drive back to the bike, install the battery and make sure it works, ride the bike home, walk back to my jeep.

Yea, kick starters should be stock on every bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agreed. Why aren't they any more? Why did manufacturers decide it wasn't worth having?

I know that the bigger bikes would need compression releases and such and it would get complicated, but that still doesn't explain why they don't come on smaller engines. Kick starters are just so cooooool :allears:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

orthod0ks posted:

Yea, kick starters should be stock on every bike.

Won't help you on any modern bike larger than 125 cc, if it's got a dead battery.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Did my first oil change ever on a bike today. It was super easy, and didn't take very long at all. I can't believe people pay to have them done. Besides the oil change, I cleaned and lubed my chain for the first time since I bought the bike at the end of last season (it ends up the chain was so dirty that once it was clean, it was a totally different color than I thought it was), installed a new battery, and topped it off with a new twist off gas cap (got so sick of the locking one).

She's now ready for the 2012 season!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Trip Daddy X posted:

Did my first oil change ever on a bike today. It was super easy, and didn't take very long at all. I can't believe people pay to have them done. Besides the oil change, I cleaned and lubed my chain for the first time since I bought the bike at the end of last season (it ends up the chain was so dirty that once it was clean, it was a totally different color than I thought it was), installed a new battery, and topped it off with a new twist off gas cap (got so sick of the locking one).

Isn't that fun? I cleaned my chain when I got my bike and realized that it was not just any old black chain, it was a shiny gold DID chain :D

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Sir Cornelius posted:

Won't help you on any modern bike larger than 125 cc, if it's got a dead battery.

Why not?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He means because a lot of modern bikes have fuel injection and an ECU and require power to run those.

(Not all and certainly not all over 125cc though)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sagebrush posted:

He means because a lot of modern bikes have fuel injection and an ECU and require power to run those.

(Not all and certainly not all over 125cc though)

My car has an ECU and fuel injection and I can still bump start it from dead...

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ziploc posted:

My car has an ECU and fuel injection and I can still bump start it from dead...

Try this without the battery mounted.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My eleven year old snowmobile has batteryless efi, I don't see what it should be so hard to put that on a bike?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My eleven year old snowmobile has batteryless efi, I don't see what it should be so hard to put that on a bike?

Kickstart EFI, direct injection two-stroke = Yeti, in a flying saucer

(I want to believe.)

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Trip Daddy X posted:

Love that color man! Doesn't it feel good to do some work on your own bike?

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Trip Daddy X posted:

That is the most perfect blue I've ever seen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of the flat metallic colors that kawi did in that era are gorgeous, I'm honestly surprised no other companies copied that.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I'm not the typical Ducati owner. I won't spend the money for Rizoma parts. I replaced the "handguards" on the Hyper with a $20 set of mirrors and a $30 set of turn signals from Amazon.com. I also like to DIY many projects.

I wanted some kind of tail bag for the Hyper to carry my POV cam and all of its assorted accessories while riding. I looked around at different bags and didn't see anything I liked for a reasonable price. But then I remembered that I had a Bags-Connection tank bag with an SW Motech connection ring from my old Sprint ST. The ring attached to the fuel filler and the bag attached to the ring. The Hyper doesn't have a filler setup like the Sprint ST so I couldn't just get a new interface to make it work.

What I decided to do was to make a base for the tank bag so I could mount it to the seat. I started with two 6.5" x .325" cicles of plywood. I glued them together with the grain on one 90 degrees to the other. Then I drilled and countersunk holes for the filler ring. Next I rounded the corners to "soften" it up a bit.

Next, I sprayed the wood piece with a Rustoleum product similar to Flex-Seal. It gives the piece a rubberized, sealed suface to keep moisture out. You can see the top of the base with mounting ring and nylon straps. And you can see the mounting ring on the bottom of the bag.

To attach the base to the seat I stapled some nylon straps and plastic buckles to the bottom of the seat pan.

Here you can see just the base attached and then the whole setup mounted.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
For levers, I like ASV. They make some badass stuff.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

bung posted:

Very tidy and no mods or holes drilled on the bike, nicely done.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nothing like a good idea well executed, well done bung.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Well I kinda screwed up my expensive deutsch connectors but they still will do the job I think. The job being quick disconnect tail-lights and plate and front-lights when I go to the track.

It's too bad the bike doesn't have a key so I can't actually check to see if the wiring is good.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
My street triple was feeling lonely, so I bought her a friend.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Man there's something about yellow and black that looks so dangerous. Some gene triggers some synapse and by neanderthal bits go AAA POISONOUS SNAKE! Not bad for a bike's image. Congrats!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

Man there's something about yellow and black that looks so dangerous. Some gene triggers some synapse and by neanderthal bits go AAA POISONOUS SNAKE! Not bad for a bike's image. Congrats!

With me it's more like AAA WASPS!

Still fitting for a bike.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

wilkenm posted:

My street triple was feeling lonely, so I bought her a friend.

Funny. I was feeling a bit lonely so I bought a Street Triple!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

With me it's more like AAA WASPS!

Still fitting for a bike.

"When I left the band at the Pilot, I went home. Walked up to Fourth and took the trolley home, past the windows of the shops I see every day, each one lit up jazzy and slick, clothes and shoes and software, Japanese motorcycles crouched like clean enamel scorpions, Italian furniture."

I always thought that was a pretty good description of a motorcycle.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Olde Weird Tip posted:

All of the flat metallic colors that kawi did in that era are gorgeous, I'm honestly surprised no other companies copied that.

Is that a factory Kawasaki color? I know the previous owner stripped all the logos, and painted everything, even the bottom,piece that's black. I've been wondering since I got it if it's a factory color or,aftermarket.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Any suggestions on how best to measure out oil? Ideally I'd like an oiling can with clear markings and a filler spout. It's incredibly annoying to try to pour from a gallon jug of motor oil, get half of it on the ground, and not know how much actually made it into the engine. Funnels are nice except with a wet clutch right under the filler hole, it's difficult to get them to stay in place unless you keep one hand on the funnel.

It was surprisingly hard to find anything that would fit the bill, but eventually I tracked down a spout that will screw onto both gallon and quart containers: http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-10106B-Filler-Refill/dp/B000EH4UXM/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1333249885&sr=1-3

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

MotoMind posted:

Any suggestions on how best to measure out oil? Ideally I'd like an oiling can with clear markings and a filler spout. It's incredibly annoying to try to pour from a gallon jug of motor oil, get half of it on the ground, and not know how much actually made it into the engine. Funnels are nice except with a wet clutch right under the filler hole, it's difficult to get them to stay in place unless you keep one hand on the funnel.

It was surprisingly hard to find anything that would fit the bill, but eventually I tracked down a spout that will screw onto both gallon and quart containers: http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-10106B-Filler-Refill/dp/B000EH4UXM/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1333249885&sr=1-3

I have the same thing, but mine has a bucket with measuring marks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My bike calls for 2.0L of oil, so I buy 2x1L bottles and pour it all in with a funnel. :smug:

[e] to actually be helpful...my car takes 4.5 litres of oil. So I found a 2-quart plastic container, measured 1.5 litres of water and poured it in, and marked that level with a sharpie. Now I just know that I need to fill the container up to that line three times to get the right amount. Pretty straightforward.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 1, 2012

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I don't even use a funnel, just that good :smugbert:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I had one of those bucket things, it was alright but the bucket was always grimy and the lid didn't stay on after a while. Plus, it was like half a liter so I needed to two-hand the filling process anyway. Measuring marks were nice though. I ended up throwing it out because it was always gross and dirty and another thing I didn't need taking up space.

The trick of taking a clear container and marking your level on it is a good one.

Between my two bikes I should be able to use up a whole 1 gal jug so with the filler spout I'm pretty much set. The KLR can be done with a steady hand, but the WR has a tiny filler hole under the header and set back from outside of the side cover, so there's no way to get a good stream going without making a mess.

Quart containers are nice because they're easier to pour, but I put Rotella T 15W40 in everything I own so gotta deal with gallon containers.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
It turns out my Vento Triton had no spark because of a bad stator.

I swapped it out with a good one and it fired up...for two seconds. Poo.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

M4rg4r1ne posted:

It turns out my Vento Triton had no spark because of a bad stator.

I swapped it out with a good one and it fired up...for two seconds. Poo.

Check the capacitor.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MotoMind posted:

Any suggestions on how best to measure out oil?

Digital kitchen scales. Measure out a quart, weigh it and write down the number. Use whatever container, like an empty gallon jug, to measure out exactly the amount you need, then pour like a champ.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I just use a measuring cup out of my kitchen cupboard for the Husky. 7 cups exactly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Did the front pads on the old ST1100 today in prep for selling it. I have 35K KMs on it and I'm pretty sure they were original.

Somewhat taken aback that the caliper bolts were quite different from the right side to the left side. I expected just a mirror image. Is that more normal than I imagine?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Got parts in for my highsided SV today.

Installed new throttle cables/cable housing.
Installed new wiring for the battery since the battery ejection destroyed all of that.
Installed a new master cylinder+reservoir
Bled the brakes

Decided to test ride it around the block to check out the brakes...

Took a left turn onto the road out of my driveway and the loving brake lever disintegrated in my hand. I'm talking like 8 different pieces of lever. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

slidebite posted:

Did the front pads on the old ST1100 today in prep for selling it. I have 35K KMs on it and I'm pretty sure they were original.

Somewhat taken aback that the caliper bolts were quite different from the right side to the left side. I expected just a mirror image. Is that more normal than I imagine?

Nope, they're probably not the original pads!