Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If the tone is very different then I have no problem with there not being a shared universe, I'm glad that Teen Titans and JL/JLU didn't crossover (Speedy in JLU desn't count). I doubt that Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H will be in the same universe as either Ultimate Spider or Avengers either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

USM has a much lighter tone from what clips have been shown, even going so far as to have "chibi" moments like Teen Titans did.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Pretty certain the entire point of killing Spectacular and launching Ultimate was so it could be in the same shared universe as Wolverine And the X-Men and Avengers.

The entire point of killing spectacular was it was in a horrible legal limbo. There was no chance Spectacular would survive. Also I think they have several characters appearing in Avengers and USM, but they are different ages, so no crossover.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
On the 3/11 episode of Kevin Smith's smodcast they had the head guy from the USM cartoon on as a guest. The show's cohost wrote some episodes and all 3 spend a good hour discussing the show and the creator's history in comics and TV.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Huge disappointment. I also just checked out the X-men wiki page and it isn't getting a second season either, so I guess the shared universe is dead outside of characters popping in during EMH episodes. :(

Well, forget characters popping in, now that Wolverine doesn't have a show, he's all freed up for full-time Avengers membership. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he joins up soon, given how his insane popularity would likely rope in what kids weren't already watching.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 31, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dacap posted:

USM has a much lighter tone from what clips have been shown, even going so far as to have "chibi" moments like Teen Titans did.

It is completely aimed at kids in tone and style.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mister Roboto posted:

It is completely aimed at kids in tone and style.

They are cartoons, they are all aimed at kids.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are cartoons, they are all aimed at kids.

Yeah, but, so are comic books...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, but, so are comic books...

You sure? I was under the impression that the demographics had firmly shifted on comic books. I mean it would make the whole kids line redundant.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

CharlestheHammer posted:

You sure? I was under the impression that the demographics had firmly shifted on comic books. I mean it would make the whole kids line redundant.

The could be a case made here, maybe, that the comics industry realizes its readership is those that grew up on them and are now in their 20s/30s. Print media is dying so I suppose nostalgia is a good tactic to switch to.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

We have a thread for discussing comic book animated shows.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I went back and read one of the USM HC's (the one where JJJ thinks Spidey is dead after Ultimatum), and JJJ writing about how he was dead wrong about Spider-Man was genuinely powerful poo poo.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I went back and read one of the USM HC's (the one where JJJ thinks Spidey is dead after Ultimatum), and JJJ writing about how he was dead wrong about Spider-Man was genuinely powerful poo poo.

That was Requiem. I would have been completely happy if that was really how Peter died. I mean, if you ignore the rest of Ultimatum. Those issues were the perfect send-off for the character.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
Ultimate Iron Fist spotted suing the NYPD :dance:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

LCQC posted:

Ultimate Iron Fist spotted suing the NYPD :dance:

It is kind of funny since Iron Fist in Ultimate has never worn a mask and he's suing for being unmasked.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

It is kind of funny since Iron Fist in Ultimate has never worn a mask and he's suing for being unmasked.

Bendis has an absolutely terrible memory.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

notthegoatseguy posted:

Don't forget that it implies normal cops managed to take him down.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Flater posted:

Don't forget that it implies normal cops managed to take him down.

He could have surrendered willingly.

Has he ever shown up other than when Spider-Man cold cocked him that one time? I'm drawing a blank.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Fillerbunny posted:

He could have surrendered willingly.

Has he ever shown up other than when Spider-Man cold cocked him that one time? I'm drawing a blank.

He's shown up three times, all within USM:

USM 1/2 (half): Spider-Man punches Iron Fist. Iron Fist was trying to stop a thief, but Spidey didn't know that.

USM: Gang War: Hammerhead makes a play for Kingpin's territory while Kingpin is laying low. Hammerhead attacks Chinatown or whatever, provoking Shan-Chi and Iron Fist to respond.

Ultimate Knights: Iron Fist and Shan-Chi team up with Dr. Strange, Daredevil, Spidey and Moon Knight to take down the Kingpin. Iron Fist sells the team out to Kingpin.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Myrddin Emrys posted:

That was Requiem. I would have been completely happy if that was really how Peter died. I mean, if you ignore the rest of Ultimatum. Those issues were the perfect send-off for the character.

"I've never been so ashamed." is one of the best moments in comics. And I like that Jonah's actually been portrayed more humanly from that point. Yes, he's still egotistical, he's still a control freak, but he seems like a real person, and I like that he's kind of the opposite of 616 now, in that Spidey's one of the few heroes he actually seems to like.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hickman's Hawkeye mini series is on sale at Comixology.
How is it? Worth $4? Do I need to know anything beforehand?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Yeah, it's worth 4 bucks. It's not AMAZING but it's worth the read. It also fixes Hawkeye out of Loeb's suicidal PTSD stereotype days.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It also gives some backstory to where the Jean Gray/Nick Fury X-kids go during the first arc of Ultimate X-Men where they disappear for a few issues.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So Spider-Men has been made official as a 616/Ultimate Crossover

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/marvel-comics-brings-special-versions-spider-man-including-dead-ringer-a-rod-article-1.1059630

quote:

A new five issue mini-series, “Spider-Men,” available starting in July, uses a common villain to bring the two heroes from different alternate realities.

“For the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man, what everyone was looking for was a Spider-Man story that mattered,” says series writer Brian Bendis. “Well, here you go.”

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Welp.

"If ever we have a cross over between 616 and the ultimate universe we'll officially have run out of ideas."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I had really really hoped that they wouldn't do this.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I had really really hoped that they wouldn't do this.

I'm fine with them doing it, as long as it's cheesy, mentor-y and leaves me with a warm feeling in my heart.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Common enemy? So is this someone new, then?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

NY Daily News posted:

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man, Marvel Comics is bringing together two versions of the iconic character — one who is white and one who’s a dead ringer for A-Rod — in a mashup that pays homage to everyday New York.

God dammit, NYDN.

Casao posted:

I'm fine with them doing it, as long as it's cheesy, mentor-y and leaves me with a warm feeling in my heart.

I hope that's exactly what they're doing with this, and hell if I don't want to read the poo poo out of it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sion posted:

Welp.

"If ever we have a cross over between 616 and the ultimate universe we'll officially have run out of ideas."

There would've been no point in doing this before Miles was conceived of, though. Peter's seen himself as a role model occasionally, but to see a kid take up the mantle is actually a neat idea for a story, and it allows Miles to get Pete's approval without ruining the death story. Basically, there's no story you 'can't' do, just ones you shouldn't without a reason that makes sense for the characters.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

There would've been no point in doing this before Miles was conceived of, though. Peter's seen himself as a role model occasionally, but to see a kid take up the mantle is actually a neat idea for a story, and it allows Miles to get Pete's approval without ruining the death story. Basically, there's no story you 'can't' do, just ones you shouldn't without a reason that makes sense for the characters.

Agreeing with this. If it had still been Peter in Ultimate, I would have no interest in this, but getting to see Miles interact with (a version of) the person who inspired him to do what he's doing should be a fun book.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Miles gets to see a Peter who lived up to his full potential. He's an Avenger and one of the greatest heroes in the world.

Peter gets to see a Spider-Man who is inspired by him and see what happens in a world where he's died.

I think they're gonna be really great pals. I'm waiting for the splash page where they tearfully hug.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Casao posted:

I want them to go the complete opposite with it and have Peter try to deal with the fact that no matter what way you spin it a 16 year old version of him was murdered by Osborn in front of Aunt May.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

I want them to go the complete opposite with it and have Peter try to deal with the fact that no matter what way you spin it a 16 year old version of him was murdered by Osborn in front of Aunt May.

If Ultimate Osborn is still alive, I want to see a scene of 616 Peter confronting him, and beating the poo poo out of him. Maybe have some big Osborn moment of "Ha ha, what are you going to do? I already killed you once!" or whatever and then Peter just outclassing him in every way during the ensuing fight.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I expect this to be pretty good because it's Ultimate Spidey written by Bendis but I can't help but feel a sense of foreboding dread that the floodgates are open now and we'll be seeing a lot of lesser 616/Ultimate crossovers/cash-ins soon.

A Hickman penned FF/UFF would rule though, and seems the obvious follow up.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Common Enemy HAS to be Osborn

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I am so excited for this. I can't wait.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

^burtle posted:

Common Enemy HAS to be Osborn

Both of him?

And I hope it involves at least a couple of issues worth of Pete in the UU. Because he's something they don't really have, a straight up, full on superhero, who's experienced, selfless and without a quallifying concern (Stark's Illuminati thing, Thor and Asgard, Cap and his more by-the-book patriotism).

Plus we'll get the requisite beat where Miles watches him in action and goes "Amazing!". Bonus points if Ganke gets to follow with "Spectacular!".

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Happy Hippo posted:

I expect this to be pretty good because it's Ultimate Spidey written by Bendis but I can't help but feel a sense of foreboding dread that the floodgates are open now and we'll be seeing a lot of lesser 616/Ultimate crossovers/cash-ins soon.

A Hickman penned FF/UFF would rule though, and seems the obvious follow up.

It'd be really cool for 616-Reed to meet Ultimate Reed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Matt Cruea posted:

It'd be really cool for 616-Reed to meet Ultimate Reed.
I honestly think, if Hickman & co are smart, that Ultimate Sue's the way you get that same feel. She's the resident super-smart science hero with a connection to the real world through her love interest in the UU.

• Locked thread