Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I get that the MiG-15 had heavy hitting 23mm and 37mm cannons vice the F-86s .50 cals, but it still is crazy to me that the Mig only carried 200 rounds of ammunition total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

wkarma posted:

Enough about a plane with an optional gun, let's talk about a plane with 6 guns.

Enough about your 6-gun plane. Here's an 8-gun.

(Took this on my 13th birthday at the Pima Air and Space Museum. I got photos of this thing and the Pregnant Guppy, but not the SR-71. :doh:)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Atlantic has some good Falklands War photos up. http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/03/30-years-since-the-falklands-war/100272/

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

grover posted:

Hey, at least it's 1/3 of what UK is paying for the Typhoon, so it's a relative bargain... :11tea:

Where the hell are you getting that price from, I'm finding 90 million Euro which certainly isn't $300 million.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Frozen Horse posted:

To repurpose an old joke about waiters, bartenders, lovers, pop singers, and cops:

In heaven, the aerodynamics are Italian, the hydraulics are German, the avionics are Swedish, the engines are French, and the pilot is British.
In hell, the aerodynamics are German, the hydraulics are British, the avionics are Italian, the engines are Swedish, and the pilot is French.
Or something like that, I'm sure that exceptions abound and there are ugly Italian planes and great French pilots but e.g. British companies have earned a reputation for making oil leak from systems that didn't even contain any.

And in purgatory everything is made by Lockheed-Martin.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mlmp08 posted:

The Atlantic has some good Falklands War photos up. http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/03/30-years-since-the-falklands-war/100272/

One of the only good lines Tom Clancy ever wrote was "And if you'd had a full-size carrier that useless little war would never have happened."

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Mr. Despair posted:

And in purgatory everything is made by Lockheed-Martin.

Don't even ask how much indulgences cost.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I always thought the Sabre was a pretty appropriate name. It's not fancy, ornamental, or flashy. But it gets down to business doing the work that needs to be done.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
And then they had to go and roll out the F-100 Super Sabre to flashy it up!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I'm still disappointed that they didn't go with Mithras for the F-4, or even more controversial Satan :twisted:. And then the USAF almost called it the Spectre with the F-110 number.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Now why the gently caress did they call a plane "Aardvark"? What's so variable-geometry about a pig with a long snout that likes digging?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sjurygg posted:

Now why the gently caress did they call a plane "Aardvark"? What's so variable-geometry about a pig with a long snout that likes digging?

It's cockpit/nose section do look rather Aardvarkish.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

mlmp08 posted:

It's cockpit/nose section do look rather Aardvarkish.

And it's got TFR for playing down in the mud. Terrain-following radar, not this forum, of course.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

grover posted:

I was using a bit of rhetoric; C-RAM doesn't use DU shells. Navy doesn't even use them in CIWS anymore. DU itself is no more dangerous than a lead slug; it's when it strikes something hard (like tank armor) and burns/oxidizes and creates dust that can be inhaled that it becomes a potential health risk to people. Small quantities of that dust coat everything around the gun after every firing and make it a huge issue to decontaminate.
It doesn't even use lead. The M940 is based off the PGU-28A/B, which is a steel body filled with stuff that burns and goes boom and an aluminum nose stuffed with more incendiaries. The Navy uses MK244 tungsten APDS rounds in the Phalanx. All in all fairly harmless if you're not the one getting hit by it.

Someone mentioned a couple pages back that they'd buy a T-38 if they won the lottery. Personally, I'd be tempted by the adorably stubby M-346:

Oh, who am I kidding, I'd want both.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Helter Skelter posted:

Someone mentioned a couple pages back that they'd buy a T-38 if they won the lottery. Personally, I'd be tempted by the adorably stubby M-346:

That reminds me of Jim Bede's abortive attempt at creating a supersonic kit plane, the BD-10. The engines never ended up being up to snuff and three of the planes disintegrated in mid-air. Looked like a small F-15 though, which was cool.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Helter Skelter posted:

Oh, who am I kidding, I'd want both.
Alenia Aermacchi is bidding on US Air Force contract to replace the T-38. Would be funny if they win, considering the M-346 is essentially a Yak-130.

Since they include hard-points for dropping training bombs, several nations are considering using them as inexpensive ($27M) attack aircraft as well as trainers.

LP97S posted:

Where the hell are you getting that price from, I'm finding 90 million Euro which certainly isn't $300 million.
Was in the NAO report I linked (according to bastion of unbiased reporting, The Register), and was reportedly the "full" price which included UK's full share of R&D + purchase + upgrades, divided by the number of operational aircraft they will be getting. The $300M number considers the the Tranche 1 aircraft to be a sunk/wasted cost, since they're going to be retired (scrapped) so soon after delivery. When you decrement the # of Tranche 1 and divide the total program cost by the 107 aircraft UK will eventually end up with in operation instead of 160, each aircraft looks much more expensive. I'm sure flyaway cost on additional aircraft is much lower if UK would decide to order more.

Since Canada's investment in the F-35 R&D is so low ($160M or so), the difference between flyaway cost and total cost is small, like $3M per aircraft. It's fair to say UK is paying roughly 3x more for each Typhoon than Canada is paying for each F-35.

grover fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 31, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Well written article about Operation Mikado from The Telegraph:

quote:

Five in the morning, May 21 1982, seven weeks into the Falklands conflict. The Argentine radar operator at Rio Grande airbase, on the island of Tierra del Fuego, is looking forward to his bed. Outside, rain is blowing across the deserted airfield.

The blip appears out of nowhere, 25 miles out to sea, coming in fast and low. Suddenly alert, the operator calls over his duty officer, but the blip has already faded.

Out over the South Atlantic, two C130 Hercules transports of 47 Squadron Royal Air Force battle through the night. Buffeted by strong headwinds, they skim the waves at 50 feet to evade detection. The co-pilots peer through night‑vision goggles, guiding the pilots towards the coast, one lapse enough to cause disaster. Night vision is in its infancy, the devices a secret gift from the Americans. Tension mounts as landfall over Argentina approaches, the conclusion of a 13‑hour flight from Ascension Island involving two mid-air rendezvous with Victor tankers.

Behind the crews, in the cavernous holds of the Hercules, some 60 men of B Squadron, 22nd SAS Regiment, ready their weapons and vehicles, Land Rovers bristling with machine guns. This is a one‑way mission, the best outcomes being escape to neutral Chile, or capture. The worst outcome is all too obvious.

Minutes later, the C130s slam down on the runway at Rio Grande. The rear doors are already open, the lowered ramps scraping the ground. In an instant, the Land Rovers are charging straight for the apron where four French-built Super Etendard fighters of the Argentine navy stand. Some of the SAS fling charges into the engine intakes while others search for the Etendard pilots, who are to be shot on sight. Another group search for the weapon that above all others threatens Britain with defeat in the South Atlantic: the Exocet. Moments later, the first charges explode. Gunfire erupts. The world dissolves into chaos.

Operation Mikado always reminds me of the LRDG's Operation Caravan.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

http://youtu.be/WB1GlTKdRXs

Just found this, has some good clips from soviet ground exercises set to agood jaunty tune :ussr:

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.

Xerxes17 posted:

http://youtu.be/WB1GlTKdRXs

Just found this, has some good clips from soviet ground exercises set to agood jaunty tune :ussr:

You gotta love old Soviet propaganda - I like the guys at 1:05 who are running down a hill, hip firing their AK's for the camera. I do hope they used blanks. As for the era, T-72s, Mig 23s and Hind Ds makes me want to say mid 70s?

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
I got to thinking about history, Swedish tanks, Soviet suicide boxesAPCs, Humvees in Iraq, and improvised up-armoring. Has pykrete been investigated as a lightweight applique armor material for arctic conditions? It also seems like it would be relatively easy to use for making bunkers and fortified positions in winter, with the added bonus of excellent neutron absorption if things go truly badly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wonder what the equivalency in inches of pykrete to inches of say, Chobham armor is.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Stroh M.D. posted:

You gotta love old Soviet propaganda - I like the guys at 1:05 who are running down a hill, hip firing their AK's for the camera. I do hope they used blanks. As for the era, T-72s, Mig 23s and Hind Ds makes me want to say mid 70s?

I'm pretty sure we're seeing later model T-62s from 0:44 onwards (Obr. 1972 with the DShK machine gun?) and T-64As with the 'gill' side armor at around 2:00 so depending on how much they wanted to show of their then high tech vehicles I'd say the vid could have been shot anywhere from around 1972 till the late seventies.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Frozen Horse posted:

I got to thinking about history, Swedish tanks, Soviet suicide boxesAPCs, Humvees in Iraq, and improvised up-armoring. Has pykrete been investigated as a lightweight applique armor material for arctic conditions? It also seems like it would be relatively easy to use for making bunkers and fortified positions in winter, with the added bonus of excellent neutron absorption if things go truly badly.

Not really. Apart from tensile strength it doesn't have any real advantage over concrete (and is actually a harder material to do construction with) and isn't as durable in the long term (i.e. it still melts).

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd imagine rebuilding pykrete every time you did work on it or the weather got warm would result in not much savings for inferior protection unless you had huge, heavy globs of it on your tank.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah, pykrete's only useful in naval applications since it floats and you can afford to fit the refrigeration systems to keep it from melting.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
pykrete is a curiosity and nothing more. maybe the innuit could get some advantages buitling their traditional ice houses from it, but you cant seriously consider using it in a military application, unless fighting a land war in artcitc conditions and use it to reinforce foxhole cover or something.

You couldnt send a carrier made of ice into the persian gulf. I dont care if youve got cooling equipment onboard, you would have to design the hull with an ablative surface and run freon tubes throughout to keep the outer layers cold. it sounds like a horrible plan for force projection.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Pykrete could be useful for setting up shelters that can be dotted around Antarctica but that's about it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
B-52 over Hanoi, watch this part first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ECGKCD-pqiM

Here's the bomb run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9A0851AEsLk

Other parts are on youtube linked from those vids. Found in this post:

http://ricochet.com/main-feed/Audio-of-a-B-52-Mission-Over-Hanoi

Some crazy anecdotes in the comments

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

B-52 over Hanoi, watch this part first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ECGKCD-pqiM

Here's the bomb run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9A0851AEsLk

Other parts are on youtube linked from those vids. Found in this post:

http://ricochet.com/main-feed/Audio-of-a-B-52-Mission-Over-Hanoi

Some crazy anecdotes in the comments

The number of SAMs being fired is loving unreal. Having to stay on course in that big-rear end B-52 hoping that your countermeasures are effective and/or the guys trying to shoot you down are ineffective would be nerve-wracking.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Nerve-wracking is being one of the civilians on the ground getting the poo poo bombed out of them. At least aircrew get paid.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Sjurygg posted:

Nerve-wracking is being one of the civilians on the ground getting the poo poo bombed out of them. At least aircrew get paid.

The amount of ordinance those BUFFs dropped in Vietnam is unreal.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Odd question: does anyone know how hard it is to detect an ekranoplan in ground effect flight? I imagine going low is good against radar im general, but I don't know poo poo about how low you'd have to be to dodge a modern naval radar setup.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gatac posted:

Odd question: does anyone know how hard it is to detect an ekranoplan in ground effect flight? I imagine going low is good against radar im general, but I don't know poo poo about how low you'd have to be to dodge a modern naval radar setup.

Anyone who knows for sure is probably going to shut up and not talk about it, but I don't imagine it would be difficult. The point of staying low is to (a) stay below the radar horizon and (b) maybe lose yourself in ground clutter. Modern naval radars are going to be pretty good about rejecting clutter, and the e-plan has an RCS about the size of a mountain, so once you're close enough for LOS you're going to be seen.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

BadgerMan45 posted:

The number of SAMs being fired is loving unreal. Having to stay on course in that big-rear end B-52 hoping that your countermeasures are effective and/or the guys trying to shoot you down are ineffective would be nerve-wracking.

One of my dad's friends was a B-52 pilot who flew up north during the Vietnam war.

He said if you want to know what the SAM coverage was like, take your fingers in front of your face and point them towards you. Now, move them at your face slowly at first, then really quick.

At the last moment, spread your fingers apart and have them just zip by the sides of your face.

It was kinda like that, but with supersonic telephone poles full of explosives.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Phanatic posted:

Anyone who knows for sure is probably going to shut up and not talk about it, but I don't imagine it would be difficult. The point of staying low is to (a) stay below the radar horizon and (b) maybe lose yourself in ground clutter. Modern naval radars are going to be pretty good about rejecting clutter, and the e-plan has an RCS about the size of a mountain, so once you're close enough for LOS you're going to be seen.
I don't know how WIG look when they fly, but I imagine they'd make a significant wake. Wakes are really easy to pick up on a civilian surface navigation radar (Sometime more than the speedboat or seadoo creating them) so I can't imagine the military would miss them.

My guess is that thing would be really easy to see. Plus moving objects really stand out from clutter; it's iow you tell the fishing boat from the line of crab pot buoys he's just dropped.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd imagine if they had a Hawkeye airborne they would pick that sucker up way out there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The question is, if they did detect it what could they do about it? Can standard missiles intercept stuff that low? Can harpoons hit a target moving that quickly?

Could be the best defense would be the 5" gun in that case. Only problem is that would be well within range of whatever surface to surface missiles it had on board and could let rip.

(not counting if there was air defense up at the time)

priznat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 3, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

priznat posted:

The question is, if they did detect it what could they do about it? Can standard missiles intercept stuff that low? Can harpoons hit a target moving that quickly?

Could be the best defense would be the 5" gun in that case. Only problem is that would be well within range of whatever surface to surface missiles it had on board and could let rip.

(not counting if there was air defense up at the time)

Yes, you could shoot a SAM at it. Missiles like the Standard are designed to hit cruise missiles and low-flying aircraft; from the missile's perspective, a ground-effect craft is just an airplane that happens to be flying very low.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Do Sidewinders have a minimum altitude they are programmed to work with or will they just merrily go after hot things at low levels? I'd imagine a missile up your engines would not be a happy day for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

They didn't look very heavily armored to me, and they travel very fast at very low altitude. Imagine if a wing snags the surface. Whloump. I always imagined they'd be picked off by high and fast enemy planes unless they had really good friendly air cover. I can perfectly understand why they were mostly shelved, because there's a mountain of very possible, very serious survivability problems with the whole platform.