Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

JP Money posted:

drat man, I know the feeling of getting hit out of nowhere. This is unfortunately why everyone suggests a poo poo bike as your first :( Hope insurance treats you well!

Too soon man.

But I did tell you so like 4 pages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

nsaP posted:

Too soon man.

But I did tell you so like 4 pages ago.

Eh it was bound to happen at some point. I think the big difference in seat time is that the longer you ride (hopefully) the more you start to realize that mistakes that happen on the road are YOUR fault for not paying attention and being smarter than the soccer mom that swerves out and hits you.

Every time I have a near miss or something I usually start swearing at myself and getting pissed that I didn't see that particular event happening sooner. Granted poo poo does happen out of nowhere but out of any close calls I can remember most have honestly been my fault, it's something I always try to improve on.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, I agree. Luckily I mainly curse myself when a car comes up my right hand side, but I do the same thing. It's the only attitude to have.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Glad you're ok.

After looking at the pictures, I've had a real hard time trying to figure out exactly where that car hit you. Smack dab in the rear tire would be my best guess.

That doesn't compute with "unsafe lane change maneuverer".

Fight that poo poo in court. Get a lawyer, he'll figure out exactly what and who hit you. Shouldn't be too hard since "evidence at the scene" were solid enough to write you a ticket. That's clearly bullshit.

Actually, you should copy-paste your post to your insurance company. They have the exact same interest in this as you do.

Bixington posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M8vei3L0L8
Seriously, gently caress the police.

No, seriously, gently caress you.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 31, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etl9kkIGaHo

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

lovely poo poo

Terrifying! I'm glad you're okay. It sucks that you were initiated into "the wrecked club" so soon after starting to ride.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Sir Cornelius posted:

Alright, you don't like NWA, no reason to get so angry about it. Maybe some punk/ska is more your style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTD2TiHz1_s

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Glad you're ok man. That really has to suck not knowing what exactly happened. When I crashed I wasn't sure either, but I figured it out eventually. That scumbag cop is bullshit though.

Bixington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M8vei3L0L8
Seriously, gently caress the police.

Here's one set to some sumo action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmKWcpqJhTA

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Glad you're (mostly) okay, sucks about the bike. Nthing the "fight it in court", the evidence doesn't add up.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Norwegians With Attitude :v: (Yes I know he's a Dane. Shut up.)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
drat son, get well soon. :( Great to hear all the people at the accident concerned and emphatic.

Bucephalus posted:

Glad you're (mostly) okay, sucks about the bike. Nthing the "fight it in court", the evidence doesn't add up.

Norwegians With Attitude :v: (Yes I know he's a Dane. Shut up.)

I don't know why you want to change the acronym anyway since cornelius is black? :confused:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dr. Wu, heal thyself! Just kidding, sorry about your accident and hope you get well soon. Also hope the legal poo poo is a winnable fight. My only tip is to tell the full story, explain where you were coming from and were you were going and that you were in the correct lane with no plans of changing. Merge-moms are always wrong.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KARMA! posted:

I don't know why you want to change the acronym anyway since cornelius is black? :confused:

That's just my soul. Outside I'm all green and kind of furry.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

MotoMind posted:

This is great. The cop goes to the accident scene, looks around, and says "Yep, looks like an unsafe lane change."

To avoid ending up in this kind of situation, I decided to go buy one of these inexpensive video recorders to leave mounted in my helmet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180776698380

More info: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C16/

$40 is cheap insurance against getting railroaded by lazy/biased law enforcement.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gnaghi posted:

Glad you're ok man. That really has to suck not knowing what exactly happened. When I crashed I wasn't sure either, but I figured it out eventually. That scumbag cop is bullshit though.

Here's one set to some sumo action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmKWcpqJhTA

That video was pretty bitchin. I'm not one for being a complete retard on road, but I'd be lying if I said the thought never crossed my mind. Does anybody else have multiple escape routes planned near their home in case they see the lights? Mine involve offroad on road combinations and a few bike paths...

I'd never run, but the thought has crossed my mind especially since my entire license plate is covered in mud and unreadable...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MotoMind posted:

To avoid ending up in this kind of situation, I decided to go buy one of these inexpensive video recorders to leave mounted in my helmet:

How well do those things stand up to a crash, though? If the camera is destroyed, can you still recover the data from the flash card?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

How well do those things stand up to a crash, though? If the camera is destroyed, can you still recover the data from the flash card?

I will mount it inside my helmet, which also solves the problem of waterproofing:

(Shown with external mic mod. I don't care about sound, but I would need to find a place for a larger 3.7V lithium battery pack.)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MotoMind posted:

I will mount it inside my helmet, which also solves the problem of waterproofing:

(Shown with external mic mod. I don't care about sound, but I would need to find a place for a larger 3.7V lithium battery pack.)

That's brilliant. I don't like that I feel like I need it, but I do. Got a website with a selection of those?

edit: I think I'd like no audio. It would be embarassing to submit a video to the police which including singing. THE HIIIILLS ARE ALIIIIIVE WITH THE SOUND OF *screeeeeeeeeech* BANG!

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 31, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ola posted:

That's brilliant. I don't like that I feel like I need it, but I do. Got a website with a selection of those?

See the Chuck Lohr site for background info. The RCGroups forum has a lot of info on these as well; I gather some people are even in contact with the developers.

These are unbranded camera devices under development in China and sold direct. According to the RCGroups thread, the item sold by eletoponline365 is genuine.

The one I'm linking to is the #16 variant, which is the best one as far as I can tell. There are others out there as well, as outlined here: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 31, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Looks like a great setup, cheap as well.

Found this video on youtube as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqg9IIhR24c

Don't know which exact camera it is but the quality is good enough for recording an event, although it would be good with a wider angle lens.

edit: also drat, those rcgroups people know their poo poo: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Yep. One nice feature of the #16 is support for loop recording.

Edit: Looks like someone figured out a decent way to fit a wide angle lens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIaulFhH7ZM&feature=related

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 31, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Loop recording is definitely nice. But it looks like the battery-limited recording time is as low as 35 minutes...that's pretty dismal. One commute and you're done until you can recharge for a couple of hours. On the other hand, the camera does have a standard micro-JST connector for the battery, I think, so you could hook up a larger li-poly pack if you had the room for it.

Or just bite the bullet and pick up a contour for 3x the price...

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Loop recording is definitely nice. But it looks like the battery-limited recording time is as low as 35 minutes...that's pretty dismal. One commute and you're done until you can recharge for a couple of hours. On the other hand, the camera does have a standard micro-JST connector for the battery, I think, so you could hook up a larger li-poly pack if you had the room for it.

On second thought, loop may not the best idea if you get knocked out and can't stop the recording.

Since it has the proper charge circuitry it's a simple matter to solder some leads to an external battery. I have a few 3.7V 1100mah batteries sitting around from my HTC Touch Pro 2 phone that I could use, assuming I can find a safe place to mount them.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

MotoMind posted:

On second thought, loop may not the best idea if you get knocked out and can't stop the recording.

Since it has the proper charge circuitry it's a simple matter to solder some leads to an external battery. I have a few 3.7V 1100mah batteries sitting around from my HTC Touch Pro 2 phone that I could use, assuming I can find a safe place to mount them.

If it has the right charge circuitry is there any reason you couldn't wire it into the bike?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

If it has the right charge circuitry is there any reason you couldn't wire it into the bike?

Yeah, it uses USB for power so you could hard-wire it through an adapter if you wanted to.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

^^^That would work really well for a discrete mounting location on the bike itself, such as under the nose fairing/headlight.

Sagebrush posted:

The problem is it'll get ripped off pronto and I don't think it'd be a good idea to try to mount something that big inside a helmet. Hell even the small mini-recorder could end up flying around inside it in a crash and hitting your eyes. That's the whole reason I stopped using sunglasses under my helmet.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

KARMA! posted:

I was unaware.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

^^^That would work really well for a discrete mounting location on the bike itself, such as under the nose fairing/headlight.

With some minor weather sealing or CorrosionX on the circuitry, that's probably the way to go.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Yeah this whole thing just really sucks. I appreciate the kind goon words.

invision posted:

Jesus christ dude, I'm glad you're okay.

This is why I always ride with my loving gopro.

e:you should be able to buy the bike back from insurance. That might be worth it, assuming the frame is straight.

That's one of the things I'm debating. Since they've declared it a total loss, I'll actually be making more money on it than what I paid for it, but it's frustrating looking at the pictures and seeing the minimal damage on it.

Does anybody have any experience/knowledge how this process works? Is it they give me the money first then I tell them I want to buy it back? I've honestly never had to deal with any accident insurance stuff since a fender bender when I was a teenager on my parents insurance.

Quite A Tool posted:

Jesus man, glad to hear you're alright. Your report on the layers of pants makes me really rethink riding to work in my Carhartt's all the time like an idiot.

Also glad to hear that it seems like it hasn't scared you off of riding, It really is fantastic and I hope you find a way to get back into it soon.

If when I ever hop back on a bike it won't be without full armored gear. All three layers were destroyed on impact, and it was only a 30mph max impact. I guess I'm lucky, my roadrash is only the size of a silver dollar pancake.

And when I broke my collar bone in a soccer match, it didn't make me want to quit soccer. When I broke my shin in a taekwondo competition it didn't make me want to quit taekwondo. This motorcycle accident ankle / finger break isn't making me want to quit riding either.

JP Money posted:

Eh it was bound to happen at some point. I think the big difference in seat time is that the longer you ride (hopefully) the more you start to realize that mistakes that happen on the road are YOUR fault for not paying attention and being smarter than the soccer mom that swerves out and hits you.

Every time I have a near miss or something I usually start swearing at myself and getting pissed that I didn't see that particular event happening sooner. Granted poo poo does happen out of nowhere but out of any close calls I can remember most have honestly been my fault, it's something I always try to improve on.

I've gone over it in my head time and time again and I really don't know how I could've seen this any sooner. Like I said I couldn't even tell you the color of the car that hit me. I guess I could've taken a mental list of all the cars around me at the stop light. Or tried to reposition myself within the lane. The right side of my lane would have been safer as far as being further away from the other lane but it was extremely bumpy and cracky and filled in and uneven.

As far as visibility, my bike is yellow and I was wearing an Icon Mil-Spec vest and a bright orange backpack with reflective tape on it. About the only other piece of gear I could improve on as far as visibility is a high-vis helmet.

Sir Cornelius posted:

After looking at the pictures, I've had a real hard time trying to figure out exactly where that car hit you. Smack dab in the rear tire would be my best guess.

That doesn't compute with "unsafe lane change maneuverer".

Fight that poo poo in court. Get a lawyer, he'll figure out exactly what and who hit you. Shouldn't be too hard since "evidence at the scene" were solid enough to write you a ticket. That's clearly bullshit.

Actually, you should copy-paste your post to your insurance company. They have the exact same interest in this as you do.

I still don't know exactly how I was hit and that's also my best guess. My first thought, until the firefighter told me all the damage was on the left side is that I got straight up rear ended. I wasn't changing lanes and wasn't planning on changing lanes either.

I'm not sure if a full on trial with lawyers is worth it. Insurance is already giving me more than I paid for the bike, I don't know what else I can walk away with (or wheel away with amirite? :downsrim:)

And I've been in some pretty constant communication with my insurance co. and they know my full story. I should ask if they want me to email a written statement.

MotoMind posted:

To avoid ending up in this kind of situation, I decided to go buy one of these inexpensive video recorders to leave mounted in my helmet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180776698380

More info: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C16/

$40 is cheap insurance against getting railroaded by lazy/biased law enforcement.

As for everybody recommending cameras, that was going to be the next piece of gear I got after getting real riding pants and boots. I've seen / heard of too many times when video evidence solves a case that would've been his word vs. their word. If I had that video, it would've gone straight to youtube.

I really just hope that my wife calms down about no more bikes. I'm trying to back off as far as saying anything about it because right now any mention of riding turns into a fight. This accident dosn't change anything as far as commuting to work, gas mileage, my desire to ride, etc. Ugh this sucks.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Just give it time. After my accident I was convinced that my wife would never let me ride again. I slowly proved to her that I wasn't going to be killed on every ride. I bought a ton of safety gear and now I ride almost every day again.

One word of advice, when you get back on do NOT tell her about any close calls.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm not sure if a full on trial with lawyers is worth it. Insurance is already giving me more than I paid for the bike, I don't know what else I can walk away with (or wheel away with amirite? :downsrim:)

I would contest the ticket the same way I'd contest a speeding ticket that was issued in error. I would also make drat sure the insurance company doesn't tag this as an at-fault accident. An at-fault accident on your record will make your insurance more costly. Working through this would probably require a lawyer.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

MotoMind posted:

I would contest the ticket the same way I'd contest a speeding ticket that was issued in error. I would also make drat sure the insurance company doesn't tag this as an at-fault accident. An at-fault accident on your record will make your insurance more costly. Working through this would probably require a lawyer.

Yeah I was told I could contest the ticket without a lawyer which is what I plan to do, and I definitely don't want insurance to say it was my fault. I'll be in contact with them again on Monday.

What's everybody's opinion on what to do with the bike? Take the money and walk? Try to buy it back? I could always take the money and buy something else but I was really in love with that little monster :(

Without using exact numbers , they're giving me 20% more than what I paid for it.

Also does anybody have experience with getting a new helmet through insurance?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Im sorry you got hit, but im glad you're mostly ok. A lot of this will depend on your insurance company. When i wrecked, progressive called the bike a loss, and then offered me a dollar amount based on kbb value, and then another three thousand to cover the riding gear and accessories that were destroyed.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If the woman has damage to her car she may very well try to claim off your insurance. This in and of itself is worth lawyering up over.

And standard SA advice, if legal action is in your future you probably want to stop talking about the event online, at least for now.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah I was told I could contest the ticket without a lawyer which is what I plan to do, and I definitely don't want insurance to say it was my fault. I'll be in contact with them again on Monday.

What's everybody's opinion on what to do with the bike? Take the money and walk? Try to buy it back? I could always take the money and buy something else but I was really in love with that little monster :(

Without using exact numbers , they're giving me 20% more than what I paid for it.

Are you allowed to give it a look over before you decide to buy it back/leave it? If so, I'd ask a local bike dealer/mechanic/friend who knows what to look for to have a look at and see how easy/expensive it will be to fix then go from there.

As for helmet through insurance - just ask them I guess.

Glad you're ok.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
My wife pretty much tried to can my riding after I wrecked my bike. I gave it some time, pitched the fuel savings and eased back into it. If she'd thrown the me or the bike ultimatum I'd be crying while riding. Not much will make me give up riding.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

I've gone over it in my head time and time again and I really don't know how I could've seen this any sooner. Like I said I couldn't even tell you the color of the car that hit me. I guess I could've taken a mental list of all the cars around me at the stop light. Or tried to reposition myself within the lane. The right side of my lane would have been safer as far as being further away from the other lane but it was extremely bumpy and cracky and filled in and uneven.

No, it seems like you were in the proper position. Dominate your lane.

Sorry to hear about your accident, definitely fight that poo poo.

Backov fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 1, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Nobody ever wants to get a lawyer and go through that bullshit but usually end up happy they did. I would if I were you.

I'd also look into buying the bike back. If you really loved that bike like you say, you probably will even moreso after you fix it up better then new.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I took/was taken by the Japanese 400cc motorcycle license test for the first time on Wednesday last week. I knew I had a 0% chance of passing it without lessons and some seat time on a comparable bike (I'm riding a 50cc scooter right now, owned a 125cc dual-sport for a 2-month road trip in Vietnam/Laos 4 years ago and no riding since), but I wanted to see what I was up against up close. I had planned to take some individual lessons at a driving school first, but they were all booked solid because of the school holidays so I had to go in pretty much blind.

The course is big and you've got to memorize all the turns... I didn't realize there was a route map that the testing center had given to the driving instructor there (I was the only free agent) until too late, I was trying to memorize it based on the route the test takers before me took, while at the same time learn how to ride the biggest bike I've ever sat on with a transmission that's opposite of my daily driver (my moped has a clutch and a 4-speed gearbox, but neutral is at the top and you shift up by tapping down). Needless to say, I sucked, but at least everyone else was gone by then and I didn't drop it or anything.

I've read lots of horror stories about how asinine the examiners can be, but the cop administering the test was unexpectedly super-cool and let me try it again after I got lost the first time. My second time I got farther, but made another wrong turn, knew I couldn't pass, and was like "gently caress it" and went back to the start. I appreciated the favor and didn't want to waste his time; I explained my situation to him and he was pretty understanding. Of the 6 Japanese dudes who were testing that day, 3 weren't even allowed to finish the course (one dropped the bike on the crank course, I forget what happened with the other two), 2 finished but were deemed to have failed, one might have passed, I'm not sure. They had all gone to a school but none of them seemed like really confident riders. I also learned that you're supposed to basically hug the edge of the road pretty much the whole time :iiam: Gotta practice tighter turns, I guess.

Luckily I was able to book a few hours of lessons tomorrow afternoon... I don't think it'll be enough, but it's a start. I was really hoping I'd be able to get the license squared away over the break (ends Thursday), but they only offer the test on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and the general availability of the school right now is not good. If I can't get it sorted now things might get ugly with my employer as they (illegally) said I can't drive/ride even in my free time, and also (illegally) don't normally let us take leave during the regular school year even if we have no classes or other duties. They can't really fire me for another 16 months and I'm planning on leaving then anyways, but I was hoping I could just get the license behind their back and get the legal stuff straightened out semi-anonymously through our representatives at the big meeting in May. Riding is a lot more important to me than trying to keep those assholes happy, and luckily my career isn't here.

The CB400 was sick, getting back on my scooter to leave I was struck by the thought that it basically felt like riding a turd with two wheels. It's better than nothing and being able to get out into the countryside by myself and explore is a huge stress-reliever, but I realize I've only been deluding myself that it really scratches the itch. My friend has a 250cc dual-sport I'm planning to buy which is plenty for me; I just want something that I can get on the expressways with and doesn't feel like it's going to blow up at 60kph.

Sagebrush posted:

Flash cards are basically invincible, I've put them through the wash with no ill effects.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I heard one womans voice stand out "I didn't see him. He came out of nowhere."

Literally groaned IRL when I read this :smith:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 1, 2012

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

If  when  I ever hop back on a bike it won't be without full armored gear. All three layers were destroyed on impact, and it was only a 30mph max impact. I guess I'm lucky, my roadrash is only the size of a silver dollar pancake.
I'm thinking again about this and it makes me wonder if your multiple layers really did do the job. I had much more road rash even on parts of my body that were leather covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Crayvex posted:

I'm thinking again about this and it makes me wonder if your multiple layers really did do the job. I had much more road rash even on parts of my body that were leather covered.

You can get road rash if your gear doesn't fit properly, regardless of what it's made out of. If there's enough slack in the gear so it can move around, you can get transfer rash, where the road grabs the leather or whatever and rubs it against your skin hard enough to abraid away the skin.

I had an accident in Dickies where the right leg was totally intact but I had a huge patch of road rash on my knee. Fit is super important.